Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Super Soaker

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
Heyo! So for my modeling class I'm designing a gun - it can't shoot bullets, and it has to have a theme. I'm doing a heated water gun - in the middle is the hot water reservoir, and at the front is the heating compartment, which is connected to a gas tank that you carry. I have 3 weeks!

Here is my reference and inspiration sheet:

WfaGf.jpg

Here are some preliminary thumbs and studies of me trying to figure out gun anatomy 8[:

ZExtd.jpg

Here's my concept! Please critique! Thanks in advance :]

uwpYc.png

Replies

• -Joe-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably gonna have hand painted textures,as seen from your other works i suppose? ;) Cool concept! Looking forward to it!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, this is a normal mapped, photo-sourced project. Must practice all the things !!! :0
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, this is a normal mapped, photo-sourced project. Must practice all the things !!! :0

:thumbup:

Look forward to seeing your progress
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Pretty cool! Looking forward for the development :)
    I'm not expert in weapons, so I have no valuable crits to make. But talking about design, I think front part should be slightly longer to be proportional to the rest of the gun.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Oranghe! jramauri - Ohh, yeah I see it now, it does look really short - will extend it, thank you! :]
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    or make the gun shorter at the end ;) could work, since a child should be able to hold it too I guess

looks like a fun project, good luck!
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Cool design, but the front handle seems awkwardly angled. It seems like it would be difficult to hold your hand in that position while lifting something that heavy.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey looking good so far! I am really digging the design of the gun so far. Have you got any more ideas for how the tank is going to look ? I recommend taking a look at the slime blower from ghost busters, for some more ways on carrying the tank. =D keep going!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I really like the design but at least from the angle you drew I can't tell where you would refill the water. Really looking forward to seeing the progress on this!
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    You might want to reinforce the water tank a bit more if you stick with this location, just cause there's a point where the gun is only water tank (just behind the forward handle) which makes me think it'd be more fragile at that point if we're assume the tank is make of glass or a similar material, like you could snap it over your knee if you aimed for that being the breaking point. So I'd think it's be a good idea to have the tank reinforced on at least one side with metal wherever that happens.

I ran into a similar problem with mine that Burton pointed out of having glass and metal ammo canisters coming out the bottom making it hard to set down without shattering them.

But if you're planning on shifting the tank or having it be out of something see-through but less fragile than actual glass don't worry about it.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans - Actually I got a couple comments lately on the stock being too short, so I will be extending that as well. And yeah, this project is definitely something different and interesting for me haha, thanks!

zakhar2 - Thank you, I will angle it back some more.

tehrobster2 - I'm glad to hear you like the design :] I didn't do too much iterating on the tank actually, so I will take a look at the Ghost Busters stuff - forgot about that, that should be some great ref!!

biofrost - *facepalm* Forgot to put an area for reload. Thanks for pointing it out.

Alex - Oo, I agree :0 Either I will redesign the tank, or reinforce/protect it better, as it is made of glass. I really appreciate the crit :)

Redesign will be posted soon, blockout coming after that - more critique and comments welcome along the way!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, edited the concept. How is it looking now? I lengthened the stock and barrel, fixed the front grip angle, reinforced the water tank, and added a pipe for water reload at the bottom of the water reservoir. Also axed the pipes at the top because I was getting crits they were in the way of aiming and also making the gun look fragile/overly-makeshift. Starting blockout in the mornin'.

Critique and comments welcome!:

PgyPl.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Much better, indeed. What´s the goal of this exercise, make high poly concept, or entire low poly thing?
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Amauri! The goal for this is to go through the whole process of coming up with our own concept, making a high poly, low poly, and awesomeness photo-sourced/realistic textures.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    make it be able to hook up to a fire hydrant ;p
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Your trigger is up too high.

Remember that the part of the gun above the primary handle is the part closest to the screen - make sure you have interesting stuff there. It's a great place for pressure gauges and nozzles and intricate pipe connections.

You're going to want take your concept and block model it out roughly and then set up a FPS camera and re-concept over that, I think, to get a better handle on designing to the camera.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    This doesn't look a lot like a -hot water- gun. More like a steampunk-ish laser plasma slime weapon.

Personally I'd look more towards a flamethrower type design with backpack water flasks. And steam cleaners, like those by K
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    ^Ditto with ghostscape. Does this assignment takes into consideration a first person perspective?

Paul Richards was a machine when it came to this kind of thing
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha seforin, endless ammo!!!

Ghostscape - Thanks for pointing out the trigger! Lowered it.

Snader - Yeah, I see what you mean. These flamethrower/pressurized water guns are a bit simple though I think, and I want to see what I can do with detail. I'm liking those big triggers though haha, I'll try incorporating that and see if it helps the look a bit - also I am using the idea that this gun hooks up to some backpack water flasks. In the texture I will try to make this more water-like, maybe clean, sleek textures, grays, and blues. Thanks for the crit :)

konstruct - God, those Paul Richards concepts make me cry lol. My teacher didn't say anything about first person perspective, but I'll assume it's important cuz it's a gun I'm making hehe. I'll try to make it look interesting from there!

So I thought I'd post up some of my progress (first person shot included!) Got most things blocked out, but still need to add some more detail things, probably just above the rear grip, as Ghostscape suggests. This is gonna be my high-poly; I'm slowly adding edge control as I work. When it's done I will be building the low beneath it. Critique and comments welcome:

SYkL3.jpg

utTsM.jpg

Q2O4C.jpg

Oryql.jpg

Ly7NZ.jpg
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats looking nice. I cant wait to see the textures
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Looks cool.. but for high poly I was expecting to see a smoothed subd version.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Darkleopard!

jramauri - Yeah, when this is done it will be smoothed, I am just posting up some of my mid-way progress in case anyone has crits as I work :]
  • Carl Brannstrom
    wgun.png

You should look over the design elements on the gun. Take a look at the laser gun from fear; all shapes and details are straight or angular. The same with the Portal gun but instead of straight, everything is curved and smooth.
    Your gun is pointy, straight, smooth, circular, rectangular - random.

I'd also say to get rid of the cage over the tank since it's basically the only thing that makes it a non-bullet gun. And it's not visible in the fps-view at all, unless you know it's there...

While at it, make the tank bigger and more prominent in general.

-c
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Your grips should be more rounded, especially the rear grip that already has support edges in it. It's one of my biggest pet peeves when people model a weapon off the side view and make the grip square :)

For the rear sight it looks like you drew some inspiration from the M1, but I think you could really push the shapes and make it more similar/complex. On that note I think the way the site attaches should be more functional and sitting on top of a rail, not just on the body of the gun.

Also maybe just make the gun less square/blocky.

I know this is still a WIP, so I don't know what you plan on doing, but that's just my two cents.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    It's looking really nice, as Jordan mentioned the grip should be more rounded like the concept, nice progress so far.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, here is some progress on my high poly. Just seen the last 3 crits on this thread now, so I haven't taken those into account yet - but wanted to show what I have so far nevertheless. Critique and comments welcome! (oh, some parts look like they have a seam down the middle - I did that for mirroring purposes and will be welding later)

MrNinjutsu - Thank you :]

Carl - I see what you're saying about the shape language - I'll pass over the pieces again to unify them - now that I look at it, I wanna go with more of a 'chamfered' feel, kindof an inbetween of curvy and straight - so that means I will have to soften some edges a little more, especially those rectangular insets on the stock.

I'll play with the cage design some more so that it exposes the tank and better reveals the theme of this gun - thanks for pointing it out! I really appreciate all the crits.

jordon.kocon - Thanks, I will round out the grips some more. How does the sight look to you now? Still need more detail? I did look pretty closely at my reference. I will look into building a rail for it to sit on.

Another question in general - Do my edges look loose enough for a good bake? The cut lines in particular. Here's a buncha shots:

DzaC1.jpg

aFGRl.jpg

l6lVY.jpg

7yBZf.jpg

0dvdb.jpg

vxaVE.jpg

AChHF.jpg
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really cool, it really shows through as a super soaker water gun. Im excited to see the textures for this.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Hey I guess I kind of forgot this is a super soaker, so you definitely want to keep it less metal and complex, and more plastic with bold shapes. I think your new 'grip' looks way better, its a cool design :)

I think the sight just needs work where it attaches to the stock. This reference is from a 'real' gun, so you may have it correct as far as super soakers go, but here is an example of how something such as your sight would mount to the gun.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BfntzXv0_PE/S79ykdlaaXI/AAAAAAAAAlw/_xMFHSr1r4I/s1600/DSC_6707.JPG

... Basically just notice in the bottom left how the sight or whatever it is is 'clamped' onto a rail, where as on yours its just sitting on the stock.

Either way like I said I really like the new grip though, the design is looking cool.

So far as your edges, personally I would say they could stand to be looser, they are looking farily tight right now.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks badass !
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KennyTies - Thanks, I'm glad you think it's reading as a water gun, though I'm pushing it more now trying to expand the tank and expose it more.

makecg - Thankie :)

jordon.kocon - Awesome! Glad you like the grip, I think it caters more to the water theme too, like a 'pump' sort of thing. Thanks also for the rail reference, I'll get on that :):)
  • Squirmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    Looks a bit square. Grips should be rounder to contour to hands. The piece in the front right after the barrel need some love, its just a smoothed cube.
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 11
    - Conceptually in function, you've pretty much just described a flamethrower but with hot water instead of gasoline.
    Flamethrowers are simple in they're just pumps with pilot lights at the end. Search images for the M1A1 and M2 flamethrower, they're basically a single tube with grips.
    - Good technical modelling skill can only do so much for a very weak concept. Right now your concept is a mess, just look at it's silhouette without any of the details.
    What I suggest is to play around with primitives to arrange a more compact and sleeker silhouette that reads more cleanly.

Some things I noticed:
    - Pipes that stick out and exagerate the width, yes commercial pipes that you could buy out of store do make it more interesting, but functionally it would be better if they were more tightly packed together. See: Compressed Air Guns for some good refs.

- Random cubes that make up the frame and other pieces, uh what are these. Going for a improvised made with whatever look, the shapes just don't fit and make the whole piece look amateur. If you need something to hold parts together then use real world materials that hold things together, tape, string, blocks of wood with screws in and etc. When there is rectangular parts in improv guns they are usually extremely simple and not machined to have odd bumps and cut outs. Impro Guns Zip Guns The gasoline pump for a pistol grip is a great start.

- Tiny little electrical wires out front, uh those usually eat up quite a bit of tris, and in a fps ego view you will barely see them, not to mention functionally they are just asking for something to get snagged and broken via a sudden movement. My suggestion is to get rid of them, or add all the electrical devices in the rear where the detail can be appreciated by the player.

- Try to move the bulk of the stuff to the rear, as it obscures player sight and would make the thing front heavy and harder to turn and aim quickly.

- Using an actual firearm iron sight, my critique is that the sights you used are long distance aperture sights (see the tiny hole on the rear one?). Compressed liquid is not known for distance or accuracy so my suggestion is to change it to something with a bigger sight picture that allows faster target acquistion, say like a shotgun's ghost ring sight, a gutter sight, or including a red dot optic. Also you've modelled the profile of a picatinny rail into the bottom of the rear sight, so you might want to look into including an actual picatinny rail screwed on or something for a lot more authenticity.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha RedRogue . . . PAINFUL critique xD But really, really insightful to me. I initially made the silhouette kinda sticking out everywhere cuz I thought it might be interesting, but apparently I just kinda made a mess haha. I've cleaned it up now; cut a lot of the front out, and sent the interesting things to the back. Added a rail, and widened the aperture on my sight.

Thanks very much for helping me to think more critically about design, and for all the ref links. Hopefully it is looking better now, and not so amateur haha:

hRYIw.jpg

E7Ufc.jpg

7LEgI.jpg

nqbZ0.jpg

xOR08.jpg

4qdZH.jpg

Low poly comin' soon, critique and comments welcome!

-Jessica
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lowpoly! Texture progress coming soon. Critique and comments welcome:

u2D0y.jpg

1DZF6.jpg

V86d9.jpg

VuqhB.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good!
    Lowpoly is looking prety solid, if i were you i'd add an extra edgeloop or two on the stock so that the angle change isn't as sharp, seeming as its right infront of the camera in first person view. Keep it up!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks gilesruscoe! Actually shortened the stock quite a bit, so the angle change isn't as apparent now. And got rid of the rectangular designs cuz I got crits they were lookin' out of place. Anyhow, here's how the bake turned out - got normal map, diffuse map, and ao map right now. Working on the color map at the moment, critique and comments welcome!

6,627 tris

14KCd.jpg

ynV5q.jpg

CJt66.jpg

tSb3D.jpg

PMwp5.jpg

rlvKc.jpg

lXSLo.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    you should really use more geo on cylinders, especially as they grow bigger in size.

Did you bake the edge highlight map or derive it from your normal map?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The barrel needs more triangles. Lots more.

A pretty decent rule of thumb is, twice the radius, 1.5 times the sides.
    size_sides.png
    Now I know you don't have the triangles to work with 10+ sides on most things, but you could use 6, 9, 12 and 15 or something (12/15 for the barrel, 6 for the thin tubes on the side, 8 for the thicker parts there)

If you're running out of polies, take those bendy tubes down to 5 or 6 sides, and maybe take out 3~5 loops per tube - not too many. You should definitely collapse some vertices near the rail, many there don't do anything at all.

The super thin wires near the scope seem to be 6 sided? They don't need to be. 5 or 4 should be enough. Reinvest those tris into more loops to round out the silhouette. The butt/stock could also use some extra polygons and loving.

Luckily, most of these are either easy to rebake or haven't been baked yet so there's not a lot of extra work. I'd say the highest priorities are:
    1 - rounding out the barrel
    2 - making the silhouette of the thin wires and buttstock better
    3 - save some triangles on the tubing
    4 - the rest

What kind of budget do you have?
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron - The edge highlight map is derived from the normal map - it's a bit intense right now so I will be taking it down a bit.

Snader - Thanks very much for the crits on geo - my budget is 10k, so I could definitely afford to make the changes you are suggesting. I've cleaned up the rail since my last wires post. I'll round out the barrel, give the thin wires a better silhouette, and try to optimize the tubing a bit - I see some straight areas now that definitely don't need so many loops.

I don't really see what's wrong with the silhouette of the buttstock, but will take a look at some more reference for it.

For now, here's my color and material plan - mostly anodized stainless steel with rubber for the tubing and plastic for some parts of the grips and stock:

kkPD6.jpg

**Edit: Thanks also for that Rule of Thumb pic!!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    nice :) I like the design!
    I do feel like it's missing some sort of serial number or something
    lookin good!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmmm, I will add some random numbers, good idea! Make it look more legit loll x] Thanks :]
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, it's not so much that the stock is wrongly formed or anything. Just that it's a bit blocky. The main culprit of that is that the middle of the top side is at a pretty sharp angle.

I think chamfering that one loop, or even just at 2 points of the loop (where it connects to the receiver and right on top of the floral/curly thingy) should make it a lot smoother. Could be as cheap as 4 triangles.
    _
    / \ instead of just /\

Looking at that last side image, you need to move around the middle vertices on the back of the grip a bit. Just smooth the curve a bit.

For textures, it might be cool to have a brand/logo on that panel all the way at the front, and a serial code would probably go well on that chamfered bit of the bottom hose connector.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really neat, I only spotted a few things.
    The red ones I think it's to many square shapes makes it look a bit boring in my opinion.
    Green that cylinder could do with a few more sides to it, looks quite blocky now.
    7zp7j.jpg

Hoping to see a killer texture :)
  • Zyloh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyloh polycounter lvl 8
    This is awesome!
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like how the texture has turned out so far. I second the adding of a serial number, if I may suggest on the forward most box on the extrusion. Keep up the great work!
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Snader, awesome ref for cylinders! Jessica, I think it looks great, cant wait to see the finished textures. I think stromberg has a point..at least for that front site block. Maybe a small tweak to break that blockiness.
    Also, I'd love to see the water tank a tad larger since you removed the cage.

Great work though :D
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I think you need to stop texturing and rework your low poly. You need to round out your cylinders more, and to do that you need to make a lot of cuts.

Note: I'm going to assume that this is an FPS weapon, and am going to make optimization suggestions based on that. Your FPS views seem to indicate that it is for an FPS, otherwise you're not displaying it properly for a 3PS shooter (which are usually over the right shoulder).

There is no reason to have a front-facing cylinder use 8 sides when it isn't visible from the FPS view. It can safely be cut, to be honest.

The sling attachment rings on the stock and under the weapon are eating triangles. They're not really be seen in 3P view and they are hidden in FPS view.

The ridges modeled into the water tank are very subtle and not very useful, you could normal map those. It's a good place to save triangles.

The rail in front of the rear sight (which is obscured by the rear sight in FPV) doesn't need ot have individual rail pieces modeled unless that rear sight is removable.

If this is your wireframe, you need to rework the rail block - the /```\ looking top part of the rail should be floated over the bottom to save triangles - you're continuing those loops through the whole block and probably eating hundreds of triangles for no reason.

you can pull some loops out of the trigger and the foregrip, those are obscured by the hand and aren't the focus of the weapon.

The bottom located hoses should be reduced to 4-sided cylinders past the initial hookup (which can stay as 6) and should be set to a single smoothing group since that facetting looks nasty.

The topmost wires should be 3-sided cylinders. The bottom-front hose should be 4 sided. Set them up with a single smoothing group!

Now, with all of these triangles that you've saved, round out the rear ring on the sight, the barrel, the top of the butt where it meets the receiver below the rear sight, add more edgeloops to the top wires so they're smoother and less chunky, and add more sides to the pipes that run down the length of the side of the gun.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyloh, BlvdNights - Thanks :]

Snader, Stromberg90, KennyTies, Dimfist, Ghostscape: Thanks for the critiques; I really, really appreciate them. I took them all into consideration, and implemented as many as I could within my time constraints. I have a few hours left, so will try to do a little more of the suggested optimizing and finishing up my texture.

Here is my texture progress. I've got my flats on my computer at home and will post them up in a bit. For now, here is what I have in UDK. Critique and comments welcome:

r915E.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Looking pretty awesome Jessica! I really love what you did with the water container. I would push the spec a bit more on the barrel to really make it pop!