Home General Discussion

All red meat is bad for you, new study says

R3D
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
R3D interpolator
Eating red meat — any amount and any type — appears to significantly increase the risk of premature death, according to a long-range study that examined the eating habits and health of more than 110,000 adults for more than 20 years.

For instance, adding just one 3-ounce serving of unprocessed red meat — picture a piece of steak no bigger than a deck of cards — to one's daily diet was associated with a 13% greater chance of dying during the course of the study.

Even worse, adding an extra daily serving of processed red meat, such as a hot dog or two slices of bacon, was linked to a 20% higher risk of death during the study.

"Any red meat you eat contributes to the risk," said An Pan, a postdoctoral fellow at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston and lead author of the study, published online Monday in the Archives of Internal Medicine.
http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-red-meat-20120313,0,565423.story

;_; WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYY ;_;

Replies

• okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    This is countered by the undisputed fact that happiness leads to a longer life.. No bacon? cmon, since when is that red meat anyway, "the other white meat"?
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Until a new study comes out tomorrow saying it's the best thing ever.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Whoo boy, here we go. Sensationalist media is sensationalist.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    This sucks... I used to love bacon.

That said, I cut meat out of my diet last spring and have felt fucking FANTASTIC because of it. I still eat fish and eggs, just not red meat.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    And does this correct for the other factors like "people who eat red meat are more likely to stuff their faces with barbecue sauce and gravy"?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Cigarettes, beer, tv, mayonnaise and video games also all bad for your health. I'll be peacing out in 20 years or so.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Two things wrong with this study...

1: It was done by a vegetarian advocate.

2: It doesn't tell you what they are more likely to die from. Just they are more likely to die. K... from what? Getting hit by a bus on the way to the butcher?

Humans have been eating meat since the dawn of time. If anything, it isn't healthy not to. Im sorry, but all these supliments and crap for vegitarians and vegans. Somehow I doubt they are healthy for you. They are so processed to no end. Besides, there's no such thing as a true vegan now a days. Too many things come from cows.

cow_products.jpg
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything but living off the land (Fresh grown vegetables) and enjoying Fresh non polluted Oxygen is bad for you

Oxygen is even bad for you

Existing/Living is probably bad for you too

Studies can gtfo I'm still eating my Red Meat ♥
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I would rather live 5 years less and enjoy every moment of life then changing the way I live to live slightly longer. Your "twilight" years are by far the worst and the ones I could care less about. The difference between 65 and 70 are small at best, your still all old and gross and cant do as many awesome things as you did when you were younger.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know if it was the same story but I heard a researcher on NPR yesterday who said cutting down to 2-3 servings per week is ok but he quit eating processed meats like bacon and hotdogs all together.

I brought this up with my girlfriend and she pointed out that we barely ever eat red meat anyway, every time we make stuff that would involve ground beef it's been ground turkey.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Autocon wrote: »
    I would rather live 5 years less and enjoy every moment of life then changing the way I live to live slightly longer. Your "twilight" years are by far the worst and the ones I could care less about. The difference between 65 and 70 are small at best, your still all old and gross and cant do as many awesome things as you did when you were younger.

Cutting out red meat and processed meat while you're young will make those years a lot more enjoyable. You may not be able to enjoy the taste of a steak or burger, but you'll be in better shape overall, which makes pretty much everything you do more enjoyable. Plus, it will make your post-40 years less shitty. There's a lot of food out there to enjoy besides steak and hot dogs. I used to eat all that good shit, quit it when I was 26, and noticed an immediate improvement in my health and energy levels. Wasn't as awesome as quitting soda, but it's worth it.

Try it for a month, you might like it.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    It's a bullshit news report leaving out the majority of the scientific data. I'll carry on eating red meat at least once a day thanks.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    It's a bullshit news report leaving out the majority of the scientific data. I'll carry on eating red meat at least once a day thanks.
    please read the entire article? They posted the data
    http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/archinternmed.2011.2287

Hell, i even included it in the quote
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    Two things wrong with this study...

1: It was done by a vegetarian advocate.

2: It doesn't tell you what they are more likely to die from. Just they are more likely to die. K... from what? Getting hit by a bus on the way to the butcher?

Humans have been eating meat since the dawn of time. If anything, it isn't healthy not to. Im sorry, but all these supliments and crap for vegitarians and vegans. Somehow I doubt they are healthy for you. They are so processed to no end. Besides, there's no such thing as a true vegan now a days. Too many things come from cows.
    1) Where are you seeing that?
    2) Yeah it does
    Conclusions: Red meat consumption is associated with an increased risk of total, CVD, and cancer mortality

It's also worth pointing out that the cattle you eat today are nothing like the cows from ye olden days that humans grew up on. Virtually all livestock is industrialized now. Even free-range organic non-hormone treated shit isn't the same because they're rarely fed the diets they evolved to consume, most of them are fed corn.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Ferg wrote: »
    Cutting out red meat and processed meat while you're young will make those years a lot more enjoyable. You may not be able to enjoy the taste of a steak or burger, but you'll be in better shape overall, which makes pretty much everything you do more enjoyable. Plus, it will make your post-40 years less shitty. There's a lot of food out there to enjoy besides steak and hot dogs. I used to eat all that good shit, quit it when I was 26, and noticed an immediate improvement in my health and energy levels. Wasn't as awesome as quitting soda, but it's worth it.

For me it was the opposite. I'm not saying I eat ridiculous amounts of red meat, I don't even eat much, to be honest. But back when I did stop, and consumed alternatives (other foods, protein supplements, etc), I felt drained. Didn't feel too great. I even consulted a friend of mine who has been a long-time vegetarian, and it wasn't because I wasn't eating well (or eating the wrong things for that matter). As soon as I got some small amount of red meat into my diet again, I couldn't believe the energy and sheer strength I had.

Like Justin says above, it's not really something I eat that much. But I do make sure I get at least some, because my workouts suffer when I stay away from it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Prophecies wrote: »
    As soon as I got some small amount of red meat into my diet again, I couldn't believe the energy and sheer strength I had.

Withdrawal symptoms? ;)

My first year or so as a vegeterian was quite something, I couldn't mentally conceive a plate without the meat, it didn't feel like a full meal for me and I felt very tired.

Becoming vegeterian improved my health considerably, but I'd much rather attribute that to becomimg much better at looking at what I ate, and I ate more things than the regular default meat with a few tiny things on the side.
    slipsius wrote: »
    cow_products.jpg

That image is pretty much as bad as any propaganda from a militant vegan though, full of wierd altered facts.
    In fact, vegetarian fats like palm-oil is much cheaper for food-producers to use (and more unhealthy) and you're *much* more likely to bump into that than proper animal fat.

It's not hard to find out what's specifically vegeterian or vegan, there's no hidden contents in a country with proper labeling laws.
    The healthy way to eat is to eat varied in healthy amounts, so red meat should be just as fine as anything.

Also, while veganism is a tough diet in terms of getting everything you need for your body, it's not impossible.

Vegetarianism however is pretty much a cakewalk.

/vegetarian.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    eld wrote: »
    so red meat should be just as fine as anything.
    thats the thing though, the study shows otherwise
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    eld wrote: »
    Withdrawal symptoms? ;)

Nah, withdrawals don't last 3 months. I don't even think "meat withdrawal" an actual medical term.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Seriously? Red meat is much less polluted than chicken meat. In fact, red meat is much easier to digest than pork, eggs, or chicken. This study, I'm guessing, didn't use Organic grass-fed, free range beef. Which, of course, is so much better for you than the stuff you buy from Ralph's, or Market-Basket. No chemicals, or hormones. And they are treated notably better. Happier cows = Better meat.

This study probably used the cheapest meat they could get. I don't approve. As much as I support vegetarianism, this study just isn't true under the correct circumstances.
    Because, we've always eaten meat. But only lately has it been so polluted.

Bah. They can keep their study!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Biased research is biased, limited and done by one set of people.

Seriously, it getting annoying on how when someone performs a couple of a test akin of what the Mythbusters do, SUDDENLY, they're fucking scientists. They're not, there is a reason proper research takes such a bigger scope and the reason the guys at Mythbusters have a simple TV show.

Maybe these so called 'researchers' need to go back to secondary school and retake some basic statistic tests.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ryswick wrote: »
    thats the thing though, the study shows otherwise

There's no "we found a thing in red meat that can kill you" in this, it's more comparable to the "people with pets live longer".
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Nah, withdrawals don't last 3 months. I don't even think "meat withdrawal" is even an actual medical term.

Anything you get addicted to in a smaller or bigger way can cause withdrawals, your body is just too used to something and experiences quite a change.

It's all in the brain.

Then again, there are medical reasons too, such as why some people can never become vegans, or why some will be allergic to certain protein supplements.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Prophecies: Yeah, totally depends on your body chemistry, some people do better without it than others. I think I'd partially wrecked my body eating crap during my first 25 years, so my body was glad for the change.

For those of you putting forth the "we've always eaten red meat" argument, keep in mind we never had this much meat available to us. For 99% of out evolutionary history, humans have never been able to eat nearly this much red meat. And our women-folk harvested plenty of non-meat for us to eat. The meat we did eat was less polluted with chemicals, better fed, we ate it less, and we got a lot more exercise in between and while chasing our meals. It wasn't until we started domesticating animals that we could eat a ton of meat, and that's about the same time we started seeing substantially more humans becoming overweight.

Also, I can't find the article, so this last bit could be total bullshit, but I swear I remember reading that cancer didn't really start showing up in humans until around that same time.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the fuck is this shit?!
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those of you putting forth the "we've always eaten red meat" argument, keep in mind we never had this much meat available to us. For 99% of out evolutionary history, humans have never been able to eat nearly this much red meat.
    Forget the cows man, HUMANS were totally different back then. Today exercising for an hour is considered healthy behavior, back then people walked/ran everywhere, did physical labor all day, they didn't buy their meat at a grocery store, they hunted it.

Both species are totally different now and we're well outside what we allegedly "evolved" to do.

Furthermore the evolutionary argument is crap anyway because natural selection only cares about keeping you alive long enough to reach fertility and raise children. It doesn't give a shit about saving you from colorectal cancer in your 60s. It's entirely possible that consuming red meat daily has always been bad for you, just not in the short enough term for it to matter much in evolution.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Biased research is biased, limited and done by one set of people.

Seriously, it getting annoying on how when someone performs a couple of a test akin of what the Mythbusters do, SUDDENLY, they're fucking scientists. They're not, there is a reason proper research takes such a bigger scope and the reason the guys at Mythbusters have a simple TV show.

Maybe these so called 'researchers' need to go back to secondary school and retake some basic statistic tests.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic (my sarcasm-o-meter doesn't seem to be working properly lately) or not, but the study does seem pretty legit. I'm betting on sarcasm of course, but I think it would be cool to post some info anyway.

Here's a quote from the abstract:

"We prospectively observed 37 698 men from the Health Professionals Follow-up Study (1986-2008) and 83 644 women from the Nurses' Health Study (1980-2008) who were free of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and cancer at baseline. Diet was assessed by validated food frequency questionnaires and updated every 4 years."

And here's the outline of their funding, which suggests that no private entities were involved in funding the study.

"This study was supported by grants DK58845, CA55075, CA87969, HL34594, and 1U54CA155626-01 from the National Institutes of Health and by career development award K99HL098459 from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (Dr Sun)."

Plus, it is a peer-reviewed journal published by the American Medical Association.

Edit:
    Instant noodles are more tasty anyway.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    I don't eat red meat.
    Epic win.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But it's challenging my comforting preconceived notions! It has to be bullshit!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic (my sarcasm-o-meter doesn't seem to be working properly lately) or not, but the study does seem pretty legit. I'm betting on sarcasm of course, but I think it would be cool to post some info anyway.

Here's a quote from the abstract:

"We prospectively observed 37 698 men from the Health Professionals Follow-up Study (1986-2008) and 83 644 women from the Nurses' Health Study (1980-2008) who were free of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and cancer at baseline. Diet was assessed by validated food frequency questionnaires and updated every 4 years."

And here's the outline of their funding, which suggests that no private entities were involved in funding the study.

"This study was supported by grants DK58845, CA55075, CA87969, HL34594, and 1U54CA155626-01 from the National Institutes of Health and by career development award K99HL098459 from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (Dr Sun)."

Plus, it is a peer-reviewed journal published by the American Medical Association.

Edit:
    Instant noodles are more tasty anyway.

Slight sarcasm applied you could say, what I meant to say is how suddenly everyone left right are calling themselves scientists, both those for and against the paper.

Issues is, we're being bombarded by so much info, it's not even funny. How much do you wager in exactly 3 month a new research will come out saying "RGB meat is good for you" only for another paper to come out saying "You know, you can eat meat, just not too much, balance diet".
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Slight sarcasm applied you could say, what I meant to say is how suddenly everyone left right are calling themselves scientists, both those for and against the paper.

Issues is, we're being bombarded by so much info, it's not even funny. How much do you wager in exactly 3 month a new research will come out saying "RGB meat is good for you" only for another paper to come out saying "You know, you can eat meat, just not too much, balance diet".

Yeah, that's how I took it. Though looking at this study (briefly, I must admit) I would be surprised to see anything like this in a while. Studies of this scale and length tend to be difficult to dismiss. The 50-years long British Doctors Study is widely accepted as the evidence for a link between smoking, lung cancer and other diseases. And that study had "only" 35k participants, all of whom were male doctors. So a study that involved 40k male and 80k female participants sounds like pretty hard evidence.

But I do agree that there is a massive amount of "studies" being talked about in mass media. What's worse, most of those are not even conducted properly and media outlets seem to be unable to differentiate between a study conducted by academics and study funded by some corporate entity for the sole purpose of obtaining data that suits their agenda.

That said, I'm not an academic person and their methods are way too anal for a lazy dude like me.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Psh.... so are cigarettes and alcohol. RED MEAT forever!!!!!!
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll come in and give a crazy vegan perspective. I'm aware that as a non-meat/dairy devouring guy I'm viewed as some sort of weirdo - truth is, I used to be strongly in the "eating meat and drinking milk is totally normal we've been doing it since the dawn of time" camp. I'm a totally rational athiest so there's no weird tantric crap behind my motivations.

The science linking meat and animal protein consumption to bad health (a highly westernised diet) is no new thing. Dr. T. Colin Campbell of Cornell has been harping on about it for years. The China Study (or the "China-Oxford-Cornell Study on Dietary, Lifestyle and Disease Mortality Characteristics in 65 Rural Chinese Counties") is one of the largest scale medical studies ever conducted and the correlation between animal protein consumption and many western diseases are right there.

There will always be arguments for both sides. I just tend to go with the side that causes zero unnecessary deaths to animals, keeps me healthier than I've ever been and lets me get all high and mighty when I feel the need.

We're all logical folks here so it's no stretch to see that the western world really hasn't gotten it right. 3 of 4 Americans are overweight and half of the children being born now will have type 2 diabetes before they're barely out of nappies. I don't know about you, but I don't think that's very cool at all.

</veganrant>
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator

Actually the guardian had this to say "Victoria Taylor, a dietitian at the British Heart Foundation, said: "This study links red meat to deaths from CVD [cardiovascular disease] and cancer.

"Red meat can still be eaten as part of a balanced diet, but go for the leaner cuts and use healthier cooking methods such as grilling. If you eat processed meats like bacon, ham, sausages or burgers several times a week, add variation to your diet by substituting these for other protein sources such as fish, poultry, beans or lentils."

so they are recommending eating it in moderation eg less than 500grams a week says gizmodo (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/03/red-meat-is-responsible-for-10-of-early-deaths/) as part of a few meals. This is apparently old news from 2005 too http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2005/jun/15/research.sciencenews?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just thought I'd toss in this little bit...

at the hospital I worked at for several years, I'd say a third of the nursing staff were overweight, not morbidly, but enough. not picking on nurses but they were one of the subject groups. using healthcare workers as a baseline gives the false impression that they're a more healthy group then the rest of us.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    I guess I'll have a good early death then, I love my cheeseburgers and steaks
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Check out Weston Price's "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" to see how I really feel. He went to a bunch of places largely untouched by the modern diet, and found fewer than 1 in a thousand had cavities, despite not even brushing their teeth. He found out it was because of their diet. And so is almost every health issue. But not just your diet. Your parents, their parents. All the crap adds up. He found that the healthiest places ate mostly greens, some fruit, and very little meat, raw. And as soon as they started eating processed foods, and other stuff, it went down hill fast. malformed dental arches, cavities, skull malformations. Anyway, I think it's ok to eat a little meat, again grass-fed and organic, as long as it's mostly raw. It's a brilliant book. It's free online now. Check it out.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Oh well, not gonna stop me from eating it. Is anything good for people anymore? we may as well starve ourselves to death..... bazinga
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my tummy study says all red meat is good for you.
  • Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    Check out Weston Price's "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" to see how I really feel. He went to a bunch of places largely untouched by the modern diet, and found fewer than 1 in a thousand had cavities, despite not even brushing their teeth. He found out it was because of their diet. And so is almost every health issue. But not just your diet. Your parents, their parents. All the crap adds up. He found that the healthiest places ate mostly greens, some fruit, and very little meat, raw.

I'll preface by saying I haven't read the book, but I have to call Bs. Infections caused by tooth decay was one of the primary causes of death among early people. Not only that, almost all groups of early people were primarily carnivores because of pure efficiency. One bison is going to feed a lot of people.

As for this study... I'm not buying it. They said the same thing about cholesterol, despite the fact that your cholesterol levels aren't (at least directly) related to heart disease at all, and are in no way related to the amount of cholesterol you ingest. Correlation, not causation all over.

People were pushing trans fats in the same way, saying they were healthier. Then they all flipped their positions and pretended they always were against trans fats all along. All this just to avoid animal fats, despite the fact that animal fat (technically saturated fats) are required for proper brain function. Ever gone on a fat free diet and get depressed? Yah, that's why.

/rant off
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    ehhh I only eat humans so I'm ok. I receive their souls and it rejuvenates my own bodies tissue. How else do you think I have been alive for 500 years?
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    Another faddish "study" that will be countered by another study. In the U.S. (with a diabetes problem that continues to get worse) sugar and processed foods (chips, etc.) are MUCH worse for your health. One week coffee is bad for you, the next it is good for you . . . yadda yadda yadda.

But it's a nice warm day today and I'm grilling a porterhouse and washing it down with a good import beer. Omnivores unite!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Half the problem with the meat in the united states is it comes from unhealthy, hormone injected, antibiotic stuffed animals that are treated to create the largest profit margin by large scale corporate farms. Small farms cannot compete. And famrs have to pay extra money to prove that they are organic fed and free range.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ehhh I only eat humans so I'm ok. I receive their souls and it rejuvenates my own bodies tissue. How else do you think I have been alive for 500 years?

Only aborted feti slushie, those stemcells do wonders!
  • equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's important to keep in mind that correlation does not imply causation. This is statistics and not biology.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    equil wrote: »
    It's important to keep in mind that correlation does not imply causation. This is statistics and not biology.

cell_phones.png
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're all logical folks here so it's no stretch to see that the western world really hasn't gotten it right. 3 of 4 Americans are overweight and half of the children being born now will have type 2 diabetes before they're barely out of nappies. I don't know about you, but I don't think that's very cool at all.

</veganrant>

I'm not sure if it's what you were implying or not, but 3 of 4 americans being overweight has nothing to do with eating too much red meat or lack of vegetarianism/veganism. It's downn to overindulgence nothing more or less.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Being overweight has a lot to do with your enviroment and diet as well, not just how much you eat.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Being overweight has a lot to do with your enviroment and diet as well, not just how much you eat.

You can eat complete crap and not gain weight so long as you eat at or under your required calories. It comes down to overindulgence plain and simple, over a long period of time.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea....just look at the large size sodas at most fast food joints in the states....mind blowing.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Ferg wrote: »

This has been my general experience. I haven't cut it out entirely yet (if its on pizza or something), but it's a pretty rare occurrence. My wife is a vegetarian, and I'd decided some time ago that I might as well go that route as well, or make my way towards it. I've never been huge on meat (except delicious bacon...) anyway, I like my dairy a hell of a lot more. And tofu/other soy products are cool as hell!

Ever since I've started eating less junk and significantly less meat, I've been feeling great. Still not entirely vegetarian, but I'm a good ways through phasing my diet over that way and I just feel...better.

My biggest problem is that I'm trying to cut meat entirely out of my diet, yet, I also HATE vegetables. Always have, if it's green - fuck it. Won't get me anywhere near a salad. But there's lots of alternatives, and experimenting and branching out has made me appreciate food a whole lot more. (Which is good, because at 110lbs I could really stand to eat a few more meals).

...it's a damn good thing I'm not trying to turn vegan.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You can eat complete crap and not gain weight so long as you eat at or under your required calories. It comes down to overindulgence plain and simple, over a long period of time.

"It may not be as simple as calories in, calories out. New research reveals a far more complex equation for weight gain that places at least some of the blame on organic pollutants."
    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/03/whats-really-making-us-fat/254087/

It's more complicated than you can imagine.
    It is true that you will lose fat if you reduce calories enough. I never disputed that. However, the negative effects may offset that. You may lose a lot more muscle than fat, you may become lethargic and non-responsive, you may become clinically depressed, you may become seriously ill. There are a host of negative possibilities to a simple regimen of calorie restriction--particularly if not done under the guidance of a health care professional.
    These things have long-term consequences. You could go months, eating only a little food every other day, and riding your bike for hundreds of miles a week, and end up with a flat stomach. At the end of it, though, your strength will be gone, your mental state will be terrible, and you'll gain all of that weight back--and more--in virtually no time.
    Believe it or not, people differ vastly in their body chemistry. There are people out there who eat non-stop and do not gain weight, no matter how hard they try. There are people who weigh 350 pounds, consume 1200 calories a day, and can't lose a pound. This often has a lot to do with their diet, with the kinds of food they're eating, but it is not simply a matter of calories.