Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Blaisoid - Texture/Concept artist

Replies

• SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Gah all your stuff is awesome man! I want to make it all! Love that turret

Also I am guilty of miss spelling your name so I apologise! Sorry dude!
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    Man, That last one texture is awesome!
  • jal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jal
    Some great stuff here, I'd love to model some of your environments/weapons sometime.

One crit, and this is in regards to the thread, you should update the first post with the link to the latest portfolio site. Don't make people hunt for the site you are working on now.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    ^ crap, i was sure i updated it already. thanks.
    also, thanks Paul and Dan.

probably final:
    2012-05-09_SFem1ca.jpg

i'm kinda sick of scifi armors now, trying something different:

2012-05-30_darkchick1d_comp.jpg

i began to use a simple yet brillant trick that i learned from Feng Zhu video, which is overlaying photos to establish color themes.
    it works like a fucking charm!
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    You've got some really cool stuff in here, but I'd have to agree that you tend toward too much visual noise. This is totally fine if you're presenting a character, weapon, or texture as a stand-alone presentation piece in front of a flat background. But as soon as you put that busy weapon in a micro-detailed character's hand, shooting at another micro-detailed character in behind a busy prop in front of a noisy wall in a game engine, it just gets to be too much.

Everything will just read as noise, and you won't be able to read any of it. All the detail will be lost as the small detail layered over more small detail in the scene will just blend together.

Example of too much busy-in-front-of-busy:

HDF2.jpg

My company worked on this game making hero prop assets. Seen individually, many of them look awesome. But when everything is uber-detailed, and you've got some inconsistent lighting, it just runs together and you can't see anything. That's just something to be mindful of.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's a good point, and you're definitely not the first person to point that out.
    and yet i'm still unable to achieve a good balance between boring and noisy.

maybe concepts and models that i'm using as a reference for what's acceptable also have those issues?

for example age of conan stuff
    http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7763/pvparmornecromancer.jpg
    http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7617/kushwarriorconcepts.jpg
    http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7194/picthide.jpg

or, in terms of sci-fi design, various Gears of War characters.
    are their designs generally considered noisy?

or do they have something that i fail to see that my concepts lack?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yah, that's all pretty busy stuff. You can get away with a busy character if they are standing if front of a very subdued background. Think swirling gray fog, or a very dark, nearly back background. Just popping stuff in the foreground with lighting, and letting the background recede into darkness can be a way to get your detailed characters or hero props to pop, but not to overwhelm the viewer.

My concern would be to put one of your detailed characters or props in front of say a building made up of several of your more busy textures, then to light it all up to similar luminance levels. Then we lose depth, and just see visual noise everywhere.

Any time you add detail, it demands the viewers attention. If you have visible detail everywhere, particularly if it is a similar scale, the viewer's attention just bounces around everywhere, and you lose that dramatic focus on any one asset or character. It can actually be stressful to the viewer, as their eyes never get a break.

So, I'd just recommend to be aware of this. It can be done well, if you're very conscious of your lighting, and avoid layering the mircro-detail in front of similar detailed objects.

A lot of your stuff looks really great, it's just the fact that so much of it is micro-detailed, I'd hate to see it all put together incorrectly and wanted to make sure that you were award of this, particularly if you should put some of these assets together in a scene.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Heeeaaad CRAAAB!! Sick portfolio dude!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Ye I agree bout the detail comments. U tend to split every shape into smaller shapes and then some, u can try and spare some areas and leave them empty for 'resting' purposes. It works.

As for ur textures - the outlined ones r betta, IMO. Seems to follow ur concepts stylistically too.

Try carrying out some rendering on the largest shapes of ur concepts. Put a core shadow that will separate the 2 major planes and leave some detail out in the dark. Finish off with a nice highlight and this will push up ur concepts to a new level, easily.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ thanks for tips!

I decided to make a generic modular panel for portfolio.

SFPanel_r2.jpg
    it's supposed to be fairly large but i think i made edges too sharp anyway.
    Some additional normal map details will be added in photoshop.

low poly is currently at 780 tris. is that acceptable for such piece?

i'm leaning towards turning that whole H-shaped cavity into a flat normal-only detail. this way polycount would be reduced to something around 550 tris.
    it would also make the panel look more like floor. at the moment it seems too easy to trip on those large holes, if i were to treat it as a floor.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update:
    SFPanel_r3.jpg

low poly is now at 508 tris. i guess that won't be too much for fps games.

also, i made this thing recently:
    2012-06-15_Thumb2_fin.jpg

i know, too many small lines. but that wood surface was so much fun to paint!
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    Your stuff is super awesome. I love the colours you use, it's really unique.
  • BelgianBoolean
    I'm really digging your work man. I couldn't help myself and started modeling one of your gun concepts. I hope that's ok? Assuming it's alright, I may do a couple more :D

12092160.jpg
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ hey man, it looks great! you have my blessing if you want to model any of them. :)

maybe some of the small plates and details could be toned down, since as good people pointed out my designs are often too noisy.

meanwhile, i started texturing the panel yesterday:
    SciFiPanel_r4.jpg

any feedback is welcomed.
    as you can see i added a bunch of stuff before baking, i hope it made it more interesting.

does anyobody know some tricks on how to solve the stripes problem in red circles?
  • airage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airage polycounter lvl 13
    Nice stuff man, i really like that turret and the axes!
    I also think that some of your concept work suffers from being too detailed so it becomes noisy. The same applies to the textures, they have a lot of small and very sharp details which makes them hard to read. It might look cool in a close-up, but you should keep the big picture in mind.
    Zoom out and look from a distance, this helps a lot. It's all about the big shapes and silhouettes, then the detail.
    Detail is cool, but it makes all the difference where you put it. If you have the same level of insane detail everywhere, it just gets confusing and doesn't help the design and readability.
    Give the eye some nice big shapes to follow and then have some detailed bits there, just in the right place and not on everything.

I think that you could push your work a lot more if you put some more thought into functionality. I know it's a lot of Scifi stuff and it needs to look cool, but too randomly placed panels, cuts, lines etc. quickly make a piece unbelievable.
    Take the last panel as an example - it looks cool. But in terms of functionality, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What is its function? For a floor, it would be unpractical with all the little intendations. Very hard to clean and easy to stumple. For a wall panel, the little drain- things doesn't make much sense.
    No need to overdo this and get into rocket science, but as a concept artist you should think more about things like this. Which makes your work much more believable :)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you are right, that panel started as a wall piece and i turned it into floor only at a late stage of modeling.
    i had an idea to cover slots between plates with alpha masked grating but in the end i was too lazy to change the uvw.

that said, i was always under impression that majority of sci-fi designs suffer from 'design over functionality' mindset (including some stuff from your great looking environment). so i thought my panel was acceptable in this aspect.

but i'll definitely keep that in mind next time. unless you have some idea on how to fix it without rebaking everything.
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Blaze,
    I wil post u some my opinions, if those arent good, just ignore this post :D
    So:
    1. as Airage said, this "panel" dont fits as a floor very good, coz there are these bumpy things and it would be uncomfortable for cleaning and so...but maybe you could make such a "set" of theese "panels" and they would be seamless...this one looks like some floor door to lower floor(of spaceship or whatever)...also it looks like it has 2handles so it can be opened....so you could make "panel" which is mostly clear without any extra stuff on it...nice and clean one ....and this "floor door" part could be used just in few places (hope u got it, I am not very good in English :P )

2. about textures (yeah I am not in such level as you are in texturing, but still :P )
    so first thing is...it looks like superclean right now(if I count it has wearing and scratches, it is old piece of metal...I think it should get more of dirt at certain places)
    second thing is....that wearing looks like scratches on gun...more like flaked paint(you know very hard rough wearing)...and this piece is raw metal and it's wearing should be presented more on spec map, and it should has rly soft and long horizontal wearing (we suppose, its used for walking and shoes makes long wearing and such a rly soft wearing..and it should be pretty strong imo)
    well I hope u understood what I wanted to say, if not , just catch me on steam :P
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Paul!
    i like the idea of making an additional version without bumps, i might try that later.
    as for lack of wear, i know what you mean. i've been struggling to make the wear feel natural and it's hard to achieve when whole main panel is mirrored. but yeah, i'll try to add more wear that's result of walking.

anyway, here's progress:
    2012-07-04%2520115208.jpg

now that i look at it, maybe it looks more suitable as a corridor ceiling?
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    which one looks better?

SciFiPanel_RF2b.jpg

SciFiPanel_RF3.jpg
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    The first one is better. Very nice!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ thanks.

need few more opinions.

meanwhile, i started a new texture. this time i'm going for something kinda art deco-styled. ideally i'd rather go art nouveau instead but organic forms seem like big pain in the ass to model.

Decowall_ConceptCol1.jpg

DecoWall1_r2a.jpg

there's few sloppy areas that i gotta fix, and also weavy patterns seem too small.

does it make sense to make any parts of this as geometry?
    i was thinking about modeling the main goldish "frame" without trims and leaving everything else flat.

also, those four lines at the bottom. do they look better short like on concept, or extended like on hi poly?
    upper parts of holes look kinda empty when lines are kept short but i can't decide.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I enjoy watching your art and its progression.Sci-fi panel looking nice(couldn't decide which one is better :P),and the new one too.
    You can move forward to something different then a panel in your next project,just a thought :)
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I think i like second ones metal better but the first ones orange color better.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, there's no clear favorite so i chose version 1 for now.

here's the progress on pseudo art deco texture HP and LP:
    Decowall1_r3a.jpg
    You can move forward to something different then a panel in your next project,just a thought
    yeah, i'll definitely try something different after this one's done.
    maybe i'll model one of my gun concepts or try making some complex prop.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i baked the panel to a flat texture after all, i might redo it with geometry later.
    texture's still WIP. i suppose the style is bioshockesque but i never really played bioshock so i'm not sure.

newtemplateconcept.jpg

btw, i'm planning to change the template for my pics to something like screen above. having 2 bars, one on top and one on bottom makes it messy when you scroll vertically, so i think it has to go.

but i'm not sure how much info will fit into bottom bar. do you think it's beneficial to keep the info about shader/engine? or will people assume it's realtime anyway, just from the look of renders?
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is the current idea for new info bar:

w5b.png

i also made one more quick panel, this time 100% photoshop:
    an5a.png

a aimed for something like cyberpunk club interior, inspired by designs from DX:HR.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Love those last pieces, keep it up :)
  • moondog760
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've gotta say you have great work all around, man. I would love to turn one of your environment concepts into a 3D scene.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys. :)
    i really see now that lots of textures in my portfolio don't reflect my current skills, so i'll try to gradually replace them with new stuff.
    but then again i'm a bit sick of working on portfolio, gotta take some break.

Moondog, do you have any specific piece on mind? most of them were painted for Guard Duty mod.
    i think guys from GD team won't have anything against you recreating a scene but i'll ask them just in case.

---
    btw, i took some shots with a cylinder, do you think it's a better choice than a flat plane for presenting this texture, and textures in general?

Nouvfixc1.png
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    however that cylinder aint bad, but flat plane is such a classicall presentation :P
    I like this for example, I guess its in marmoset(?) and well this such a presentation has some feeling and story in it coz u see that lighting and probably also some HDRI which reflects speculars and so....
    (and maybe u can show its tileable features in small preview in corner of such a presentation image? and also it would be nice to post 2*2 texture sheet preview image (diff, norm, spec,gloss)
    Hope it helps and hope u understand my english :P
    http://media.cmcdn.net/16799946/940x498.jpeg
    http://media.cmcdn.net/15877163/940x498.jpeg
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Lovely work.Some people said that wood grain has nothing to do with specularity but i think its walnut so no problems.Really nice texturing work man!
  • Garnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like the look of your last panel design :)

Definitely think that flat planes look better for presenting panels than the cylinder, especially since only walls/columns would be cylindrical so using it for floor or ceiling tiles would look odd.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm, your texture designs are really interesting! I think the cylinder presentation is cool too, cuz it's much prettier to look at than just a plane x]
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul - good points.
    it would be nice to post 2*2 texture sheet preview image (diff, norm, spec,gloss)
    not sure if i understand thise, you mean posting the texture sheet in full size? cos i thought about that before.

igi - thanks!
    i don't have much experience at making wood so i wasn't sure about grains. they have a pretty low opacity on spec map but i guess with varnish over them there should be no difference at all.

Jessica - thanks!
    and yeah, that's the thing about cylinder. it's just kinda less boring.

soo, i thought i gotta get me one of them fancy gmail accounts.
    "bekacz" that i've been using till now is short but a bit silly, in polish it would mean something like "burper". and on gmail it's taken anyway.
    a shitload of other names is taken as well, including blaisoid. the fact that my last name is pretty common doesn't help.

here's what i found to be available for now:

blaise.kaczmarek.gmail.com
    kaczmarek.blaze.gmail.com
    blaze.kacz.gmail.com
    blaizoid.gmail.com
    blejzoid.gmail.com
    blejsoid.gmail.com
    artofblaze.gmail.com
    blazejtex.gmail.com
    blaisetex.gmail.com

i'm not too fond of any of them so if anyone has better ideas, please let me know! :)

btw, i made this stone floor few days ago:
    stonefloor_n2.png
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    concepts for textures that i might make in free time someday:

NewSFTex_comp.jpg

it would be cool to make a thematical set and try to sell it on turbosquid or somewhere.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    wow realy nice pannels.. are these just "flat textures" or did you give them some extra polys ?
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    Paul - good points.

not sure if i understand thise, you mean posting the texture sheet in full size? cos i thought about that before.

Yeah, texture sheet :P
    and if ur textures are 2048x2048 and more, you should downsize them...so final imagine (texture sheet) would be 2048x2048 at maximum

And btw awesome work on ur floor texture ;)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks!

almost all of textures are 1024x1024.
    my pc is so old that it's hard to work on 2048x2048 files with more than 25 layers.

@ Alphavader
    last 3 textures are 100% flat. i might redo this one as a 3d module sometime later.

i still need some help with email names on the list above.
    my father suggested artofblaze. it sounds nice but i heard 'blaze' has some connotations with getting high? or is it just "blazed"?
    it also looks more like potential website name.

ps. i found that it's not really true that wood grains don't affect specularity. i looked at lots of old furniture and when lacquer gets worn dark grains are usually less specular .
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a possible new portfolio character:

2012-06-15_Thumb3ca.png
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some progress, two color variants:

2012-06-15_Thumb3ca_c1.png

color scheme vaguely reminds me of something but i don't remember what it was.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Like BelgianBoolean, I think your concepts are pretty cool, and decided to model a gun of yours for practice. This is my first time doing more complex hard surface stuff and thus a few things might be off.

I was wondering if I got the shape on the upper back part of the gun near the sight right or close, because I wasn't sure if it was curved on the top.

image001wk.png
    image002up.png
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    wow, your work is truly an inspiration! so much win.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap - thanks!

m4dcow - nice man! i particularily like this one since its design is not as busy as many others. back part is pretty close to what i had on mind though i didn't really put much thought into it. btw, on the concept there is no groove/seam on the edge between upright part of body and angled part that holds the magazine. it's just a strong shadow.

can you explain what workflow you're using to make those grooves?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    m4dcow - nice man! i particularily like this one since its design is not as busy as many others. back part is pretty close to what i had on mind though i didn't really put much thought into it. btw, on the concept there is no groove/seam on the edge between upright part of body and angled part that holds the magazine. it's just a strong shadow.

can you explain what workflow you're using to make those grooves?

I'm glad I am doing it justice so far, and yeh I guess I was seeing things when I put the groove at the angle change, I think it willread better without the groove.

As for the seams, I guess I'm a masochist and decided to model them all into the model rather than using floaters, to challenge myself.
    • I blocked the form of the model until I was happy with the shape, and making sure it was all quads so I could lay in control edges when I needed to.
    • I started making cuts where the grooves lined up with the reference.
    • Then I used the bevel tool in maya to make the edges into a strip of polygons.
    • With a strip of polys selected (I don't do all at the same time) I do an extrude where I inset the extrusion so it is diagonal to read better on normal maps.
    • There are certain bits that the extrude won't work well on so I go in and manually adjust those a bit.
    I tested alot of bevels before hand, because when you put the grooves into the model there is alot of stuff to do before you see them properly.

The only reason I could do that with this model (at my current skillset) is that there are 2 planar angles where most of the grooves are so I don't have to worry about the topology of those areas outside of my control loops. As an example, I will show you the nastiest grimiest set of wireframes ever to grace polycount :P
    image000jcd.png
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool, thanks for the explaining the process!

in meanwhile, here's a new panel (wip):

DwoPanel_r1.png

i'm also modeling one of my guns, gotta make a thread for that.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i decided to do something dark for a change. in the past i always wanted to be able to make those evil looking and textures but i eventually lost interest in that stuff.
    ...until three days ago :)

et1_r11.png

et1_r12aa.png

et2_r8_t.png

et2_r6.png

i gotta pick one shot per texture for portfolio. which skin version looks better? blueish or normal?
    oh, and again, would you go with cylinder or a flat plane?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I think the regular versions for each type of texture look better, the bluish versions seem to drown out the alternate color in each a bit.

And cylinder all the way for the display.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh, the first texture doesn't have two versions. i just forgot to tone down the post processing in marmoset in the cylinder scene and it kinda screwed up the contrast.
    here's what the regular version of second texture looks like on cyllinder:

et2_r6aa.png
    i put it in portfolio for now.
    i think i gotta tweak the normal map of skin surface though. it's too noisy and blood stains are concave at the moment.

oh, also here's an updated zbrush rock texture i made:

ere4.png
  • Kuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
    I love that smooth rock surface, what about a couple of breakdown shots from the sculpt ;)
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    your style is really unique and inspiring, loving it