Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Blaisoid - Texture/Concept artist

Replies

• rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    I prefer the cylinder due to the fact that you can see the spec highlights better than a flat surface. It shows the Normal in a better way and shows depth. It is like Crazybump I check out my normals on cylinder or sphere before I go to a plane since I can really see the depth.

-RO
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    Glad you like the style Daniel!
    rogelio - yeah, i had a same conclusion recently so i'll probably stick to cylinders.

anyway, i made another one: :)
    et3_r3.jpg

the metal turned out more modern than i wanted it to, but oh well. wrinkles also are a bit half assed, since i never made this kind of skin before. [edit: and i just realized that the skull is way too big if wall is above human height D: ]

i also remade the normal map of the previous texture:
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Udwc1lrTGdQ/UDecYJNItpI/AAAAAAAACgo/btSnkjXoyRo/s1600/et2_r10.jpg
    flesh parts are have less noise now and instead i made them more bulky.

i've been thinking about making a thematical pack and putting it on unity store or somewhere else.
    in one of recent crunchcast episodes they talked about an idea that artists might be interested in buying assets for reference purposes, if the price is cheap. do you guys think that last bunch of my textures are appealing enough for someone to want to buy them?
    it doesn't have to be those exact textures, i can make new ones. what i mean is general style and complexity level.

do any of you have some experience with selling textures?
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    That's great!.Still loving every design features of your works and you pushed your style even further.It's becoming exceptional for me.

Your unique style looking quality enough to make some profit imo.But its a bit too different,might narrow the audience.I think it has enough potential to start a new style heh ;)
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    I just checked your portfolio again. And i love all your work on it, especially the textures.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ thanks.
    But its a bit too different,might narrow the audience.
    good point. i guess i made those textures with intention of impressing the potential employers rather than creating something that lots of people could have a use for. so i aimed for a complex design, lots of different material types etc.

how about generic hand painted stone wall instead?
    HP_BrickWall1.jpg

it's my first more or less succesful attempt at stylized textures. (still WIP, feedback is welcomed)
    i made it as 1024x1024 but i'm not convinced that it makes any sense to use such high resolution. it certainly makes the process waaay longer compared to 512.
  • LlamaRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaRider polycounter lvl 8
    Great attempt, very succesful :D Nice colors but i would increase contrast between bricks and the free space. Overall is great :D

Greets from Poland bro
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    lookin good. One thing I might do to add some visual fidelity to your texture is mask random bricks and use the hue saturation tool to shift the colors a little bit left and right :)
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    One suggestion for your next texture idea. You could do more organic textures, like and Ivy maybe? What about water texture? Bones texture? If you are a texture artist, i think you are able to any texture :).
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys. :)
    i made some changes to the texture, got no time to upload it now though.

and yeah, i might try something organic, precisely because i don't have much experience at making this kind of stuff.

in meanwhile, guns strike back:

08_thumb2bb.png

and so does the generic SF:

2012-07-26_speed1bb_sm.jpg
  • beaulamb1992
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i love your weapon designs the most, but everythings great :)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ thank you.

i followed the advice and added more value and hue variety to the stones on that hand painted texture. i guess i could still push it some more without it looking too rainbowy. but then again colored lights from marmoset made it feel more tinted. i also downsized the texture to 512.

tiled 2 times vertically:
    HP_StoneWall1_r4ba.jpg
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i made these recently:

hp_swampgrass1.jpg

hp_grass1.jpg

feedback is welcomed.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's last 2 textures i made:

ground_Pebbles1ga.jpg
    npr6.jpg

I'm probably gonna take a longer break from enviro textures.
    There's lots of space for improvement, but i feel like i've reached a point where i've got texturing more or less handled. So if i send an application and have it rejected it probably won't be because of low texture quality or lack of diversity.

Instead, I think what could put someone off is my rather basic modeling skills, or to be more precise lack of any complex prop in the portfolio.
    So that's what i'll probably focus on from now on.

Another thing is my very basic zbrush knowledge, Zbrush is pain in the ass to use but it's clear to me that there's lots of things that can look good only with some sculpting involved.

and third thing, low poly assets for mobile games, hand painted games etc.
    i already started making some, will post them soon.

any critiques are still welcome though.
    oh, and btw i tweaked that skull texture. it now uses stones more suitable for a wall, the skin is less noisy and skull is smaller:

et3_new2ba.jpg
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Skin on stone one screams Quake 3, love it. Dirt one looks pretty damn good too.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Getting way better Blazej, good job.
    But if you're serious about being a dedicated texture artist I would recommend you to get proficient with ZBrush texturing, 'cause your normals just scream flat and generated. And good normals seem like 70% of the deal these days for a material.

Keep it up!
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    +1 to what d1ver said.

I love the two grass ones. mind sharing a bit of your process?
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys!
    Bek wrote:
    Skin on stone one screams Quake 3, love it.

yep! i'm a big fan of Q3 textures and i wanted to make at least one attempt at bringing that style into current gen.
    Diver wrote:
    But if you're serious about being a dedicated texture artist I would recommend you to get proficient with ZBrush texturing
    yeah, there's all kind of stuff that can't look good unless it's baked. that's why i am in fact learning zbrush.
    you can find some of my attempts here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103567

some of my textures were baked from 3ds max though, for example the ground with pebbles above, as well as this and this. maybe it's the lack of parallax bump that makes them feel more flat than modern game textures?
    Gannon wrote:
    I love the two grass ones. mind sharing a bit of your process?
    For the most part my process looked like this:
    http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24188597.jpg

but here's a little gif for you.
    BK_GrassTexture1.gif

as you can see it went from big-ass stones to fairly small ones. i thought they made tiling too obvious. but if i were to make a bigger texture set, it would be cool to also have a version with big ones, as well as grass with no stones at all.
    near the end i felt like there was too much noise so i added some spots with short grass and toned down some highlights. not sure if it was really necessary though.

btw, i recently added to portfolio this little prop made for a mod:
    rg4ba.jpg
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Your work gets me hard.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ glad you like it. :)

i made some new guns:

2012-08-25_guns1b.jpg

2012-09-05_guns1b.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Stuff looks great dude, but I'd really like to see a full scene by you in 3d. Composition, lighting, modeling, texturing all together goes a long way to getting a job.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    In general you have great work. I would say scale up the resolution of the details. remember the average wall height only needs a 512 texture. and your really highly detailed stuff turns into noise in the mip especially in the normals.

good stuff
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks!
    i admittedly don't play modern games since my pc can't handle them, so i don't really know what are the usual resolutions and scales for environment textures.
    it's the sort of info that's really hard to find without having access to game files. do you know of any statistics or general 'trends' for this stuff?

As for details, i kinda agree. i made this 2048 texture some time ago and i realized that lots of details aren't even noticable unless you get really close to the surface:
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xntRPkU2piE/UG1OmUmfBcI/AAAAAAAACsY/pVtuTFmt7s0/s1600/Floor_Evil_r8.jpg

Stuff looks great dude, but I'd really like to see a full scene by you in 3d. Composition, lighting, modeling, texturing all together goes a long way to getting a job.

Yeah, i'd love to create some environent scenes someday. there's a shitload of things that i still have to learn in order to be able to make them though. and for now i can't even run UDK on my ancient computer anyway.

here's concrete module i made recently:

mpc2a.jpg
    mpc3a.jpg

i'm not too happy about placement of bigger holes, whenever i add such big shapes to a texture the tiling becomes super obvious. maybe i should have used longer horizontal holes that would go through the whole panel.

Some of holes also have noticable round shapes left by brush. i ended up using pretty much only clay brush. I wanted to add more defined details to damaged parts but i couldn't find any good way.
    noise brush didn't look good, brushes with alphas that i have also didn't help much.

i might add some steel reinforcement in holes, does it look weird without it?
    also, for some reason symmetry in zbrush didn't work when i turned it on, any ideas on what could be the cause?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Toggle local symmetry, and maybe set/clear pivot. I can't remember then name of the menu they're under off the top of my head, but it's where the symmetry settings are. As you probably guessed :P

Seen this? http://eat3d.com/free/zbrush_stone Sculpting damage with morph targets. Could also use noisemaker on various layers.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the tip, some googling revealed that it's Transform menu. local symmetry was turned on, i didn't know that there's also 'activate symmetry' button that you gotta click...

and yeah, i did watch that tutorial. i gotta try that technique out, although the actual result didn't really impress me that much.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i made this hand painted texture for practice:

hpww3.jpg

woodtex_steps.jpg

and this one from zbrush some time ago:
    zbrn5.jpg

i'm not too happy about it though, for the whole time i wasn't sure whether i wanted it to be bricks or stones so it ended up having traits of both.

my stupid perfectionism also made me re-render and tweak some older textures and models. most notably this one:

0wallpanels_tw3.jpg
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    This must of missed my radar :(
    the wood looks great!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks!

I wasn't happy with the way concrete module from last page turned out so i remade it.
    original model didn't really show off my sculpting abilities, which aren't that great but definitely better than they were 2 months ago.
    Here's comparison:

NEW

ModularConcrete2_r4a_1600.jpg

OLD

mpc2a.jpg

tiling is still quite visible when you put 2 pieces together, perhaps it could work if there was one or two more variants.
    steel reinforcement was added after i finished sculpting so concrete doesn't properly embrace it.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i also started modeling a hand painted sword based on one of my recent concepts:

HPSword1_w1.jpg
    aswords1b_sm.png

still, now i think my portfolio mostly lacks some large scale model, some vehicle or complex hero prop.
  • glaive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great works! Truly inspirational. Thanks for posting.