Home General Discussion

Amy Winehouse, dead @ 27

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Firebert polycounter lvl 15
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43866337?gt1=43001

Now unfortunately part of the 27 club.
May she rest in peace.
Amy Winehouse, the beehived soul-jazz diva whose self-destructive habits overshadowed a distinctive musical talent, was found dead Saturday in her London home, police said. She was 27.
"Everyone who was involved with Amy is shocked and devastated. Our thoughts are with her family and friends," said Chris Goodman, a spokesman for her publicity representatives. He said her family will issue a statement when they are ready.
The British singer's record label, Universal, confirmed her death.
"We are deeply saddened at the sudden loss of such a gifted musician, artist and performer," the statement read. "Our prayers go out to Amy's family, friends and fans at this difficult time."

Replies

• Julmust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As much as I liked her music before I had heard of her atrocious behaviour her destructive life style ultimately caused her own death. I have not much sympathy over for that. 90 people dead by the hands of a madman is however something we should mourn over.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    No surprises here.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I found this really sad . Not really a huge fan, but still tragic.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    /care

seriously, 92 people killed in norway, and this takes precedence?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    /care

I don't think anyone said anything about it being more important.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oh i'm sorry, i must have missed the norway thread. not to mention all the british news coverage of winehouse rather than the norway attack...

great musician or not (and i personally don't think she was that great), she was a waste of oxygen, and i'm glad she's gone. i mean... seriously, what productive thing has she done in the last four or five years? a couple of cover songs? great! she's really making headway in her chosen profession.

i'm sure she could have been amazing if she hadn't chosen to continue destroying herself with drugs, and mocking people who tried to help her out of it.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    She killed herself high on drugs and alcohol. Nil sympathies.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    If your first hit is called rebah then there isn't much hope left
    The only song i really enjoyed from her is back to black.

Anyway i do not wish death upon anyone but she pretty much brought it on herself
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    um, yeah.

the 27 club.... found it interesting.

Sorry?
    Sheesh.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    oh i'm sorry, i must have missed the norway thread. not to mention all the british news coverage of winehouse rather than the norway attack...

great musician or not (and i personally don't think she was that great), she was a waste of oxygen, and i'm glad she's gone. i mean... seriously, what productive thing has she done in the last four or five years? a couple of cover songs? great! she's really making headway in her chosen profession.

i'm sure she could have been amazing if she hadn't chosen to continue destroying herself with drugs, and mocking people who tried to help her out of it.

Troll much?

On the day it happened and until today Norway was been the headline in all the news I've seen. Only today has Amy took the headlines. It is pretty big news after all.

I was absolutely speachless at the Norway killing. I was thinking about starting a thread but I think its one of those things thats just too sensitive to talk about in forums imo. Also, and I know a troll will come along and say something silly....

I wasn't a fan of Amy. I actually hated her tbh, music isn't my taste and she was a terrible role model. And from what i've seen in the media, a horrible and self centered person with not much intellect. I could be wrong though. The media do tend to twist things. She might have been a nice person half the time.

That said, its a shame she died
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Not sure why people make light of this... somebody lost their life, that's never anything to rejoice over.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Apparently, they tried to make her go to rehab.

She said no, no, no.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Next up, Lindsay Lohan.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I didn't realise she was touring in Norway?!

bad jokes aside, I really couldn't care less.
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Well, from what I have heard she rejected any help, help that could (and 99% would) have saved her life, and if something's dumb enough to not consider it's own survival* then I'm calling it as nothing of value was lost.

Pandas, I hear, have to be coerced into survival (apparently no sex drive = no species), but they're cool. And smarter than Amy Whinehouse, because they're I can see one that's alive.

*Isle of Man TT is on, they mildly consider survival, and there's a roughly 1% change you will die each time you enter - 200 entries and an average toll of 2.3 per event. But at least what they're doing is awesome. And helmets are sooooo useful at 300kph.
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Apparently, they tried to make her go to rehab.

She said no, no, no.

lol
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I'm gonna play devil's advocate, and say:

Why is this news and why does this matter? It just appears to be the same scenario of Hollywood. A girl/guy gets famous and an ego inflates to an unmanageable degree... they start pumping drugs and they die; that's life. America needs to stop worship Celebrities.

P.S.
    Sorry for the rant.

Hboybowen wrote: »
    you guys are a bunch of heartless jerks. Death regardless of who it is and how it happens is bad. Show some remorse ffs so much shit happening right now to post so heartlessly on anyone's death.

What remorse is needed? WHY?! this gets more coverage than the 1,000 of people that die every day around the world. So why should i give a fuck about some drunk high bitch junky that did nothing worthy with her life. She made her choice.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I'm gonna play devil's advocate, and say:

Why is this news and why does this matter?

<devil's advocates's advocate>
    Welcome to the real world, where people will talk about and give importance to shit that doesn't interest you ALL THE TIME. Best get used to it, as it's not going to change.

What you can do, though, is stop finding internet threads about things that don't matter to you and then taking the time to post in those threads expressing how little the topic matters. That way, you don't have to be exposed to the discussion of things you don't care about, and the people who do care don't have to be exposed to your bitching about it. Everybody wins!
    </devil's advocates's advocate>

It sucks when anyone so troubled dies. I don't get into her music, but I was a huge fan of Nirvana when Cobain killed himself and I know how much it sucks to see the end of something that brought you joy.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'm sorry, I must have missed the Norway thread you started after posting here because that topic is so important to you.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Being an advocate of an advocate is not the same as being the opposition of an advocate.

Peace and love <3
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Hold on guys, obviously death is devalued once it gets mainstream media attention, just like indie bands.

The REAL tragic deaths worth posting about are only in the local obituaries.

(you guys are dicks)
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Being an advocate of an advocate is not the same as being the opposition of an advocate.

Peace and love <3

Thanks for bringing it back, Glenn. Hearts 2 U 2.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    /care

I was gonna say something along those lines. A thread about some junkie dying, but not about Norway? Bad form.

Not that theres much to be said about the Norway incident either... GD has had enough threads descend into political bitching lately.
  • ikken
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I...wow, this thread went down-hill pretty fast.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Sad but ultimately inconsequential to everyone but her family, and if I was them I wouldn't want this in the media.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A coked up druggie on the streets OD's and not one fuck is given.

A coked up druggie that happens to have a decent voice OD's and it's national news.

People need to get off their "every life is precious" moral high horses. The only reason you guys remotely care about this one is because of the media.

EDIT: I'm not saying life isn't precious, but berating someone for questioning why this deserves any kind of precedent over other drug related deaths is messed up.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Darwinism ftw.
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She had it coming.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    whos amy winehouse.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Whilst I'm not singin and dancin over her death as some appear to be, it COULD have been worse... She could've left the world with 3 albums.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I show respect for their life regardless if its a drug addict or a one hit wonder or victims of a psycho.

And what about the psycho himself? Do you show respect for killers when they pass away?
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why?

Why MUST respect be given for all life? Life is a gift, if you don't treat it with respect, then why should you be given any respect in return? I refuse to give the same amount of respect to a drug addict, serial killer, or some just plain immoral person as I would to a loved one or someone who actually did something for this world. Respect is earned. It's not something that is just inherently given to someone because they existed.

Guess we'll agree to disagree.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I am for the death penalty but respect must still be given for any persons life regardless of their actions and the punishment for them.
    So you are for death penalty but with respect ?
    lol ?

Yeah i found amy winehouse death sad, like kurt cobain death and all the people dying by self-destruction. She had fans, people who listen her music when they feel bad, and maybe she helps them somehow. It's disturbing that with all the help from earth, some people just can't love their life. I find that death for the innocent norwegians sad too, and also i find sad that thousands of innocent children are dying of starvation in Somalia and no one gives a fuck because ain't no oil there.
    Should i put degrees on how this is sad and shocking ? I'm not sure. Life is precious.

Also, i wanted to add, for struggling myself with anxiety crisis, that depressed people aren't weak, they are sick. Sometimes, all the care and therapies don't help. I'm not judging alcoholic and drugs addict, because, i totally understand how you can get there. Fighting against yourself all the time, is exhausting and beeing healthy is a chance.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    I am for the death penalty but respect must still be given for any persons life.

This is the most contradicting thing you could say
    If I made a thread saying my friend died at 27. You of course don't care who they are but you still say sorry for your lose. While having no real connection to them other than they are human like you.

Then people would be respectful towards you and not the dead person.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're missing the point.

If your friend was a shitty person, e.g., a drug addict, killer etc., then no, I wouldn't really be sorry at all actually. Not that I would know that through a simple forum thread.

Sorry if that's offensive.
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had to change over from BBC news yesterday as this was the only story they were covering, it's just shameful that this makes more than a snippet at the end of the news, even on a slow news week I would expect such a story to get buried and it isn't a slow news week.

Why does the media attach so much significance to some drug addicts death because she was a B list celebrity when 3 days ago 90 kids and adolescents trying to spend there summer productively and following there interest in politics are shot in cold blood, I just don't understand it.

I agree with SeanEG sentiment, If you are given all life's opportunities and repeatedly ruin stuff for yourself then there shouldn't be too much sympathy when you screw it up one last time.
  • makecg
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    It's really no sadder than any other death that has happened ever- and I agree that the addiction gives it less importance in my mind. Someone who doesn't respect their own life doesn't deserve others' respect. So, basically, the world keeps on turning.

But Hboybowen, I agree with you in a lot of ways. Really. Except I disagree with the death penalty. Life is life. I don't think it is proper to end it. Your own, or others. So, while she essentially killed herself, and I am in stark moral opposition to her because she did so, she was still a life, and I still feel remorse.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous wrote: »
    whos amy winehouse.

Justin Biebers mother. she passed away...
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    you guys are a bunch of heartless jerks. Death regardless of who it is and how it happens is bad. Show some remorse ffs so much shit happening right now to post so heartlessly on anyone's death.

I feel terrible when people die. I don't feel terrible when people systematically kill themselves piece by piece.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, why exactly do we have a thread about her?

I'm curious, I personally would rather talk about other things, like new artists coming out recently that take inspiration from Lebbaus Wood but most importantly, if every life is sacred, why should we have a thread about her only?

Why not about the men and women in uniform in the Middle East? What about Japan's Tsunami, and the 12 men who were willing to sacrifice their lives at the Nuclear reactor to keep it from meltdown? The shooting that happened recently which if it wasn't for 4Chan, I wouldn't have found out.

I don't know what to say, this thread has no place here, this doesn't affect anyone of us which is close by, it affects a rich B list celeb, who go into the industry by sleeping with the right people, was so intoxicated that she was barred from several countries, and didn't listen to anyone who didn't drive a BMW with a contract, had their genitalia tattooed and had a nice packet of whatever the hell she was doing.

She is the last person who receive should receive any type of sympathy, she didn't even donate to charity for Pete's Sake or try and help anyone else.

So again, why do we have a THREAD in POLYCOUNT about AMY WINEHOUSE?
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why-because-fuck-you-thats-why.jpeg

Nah, I'm just kiddin :)

I just wanted an excuse to post this. And it's about time this thread gets some kitties.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    her last picture before she died.

article-0-026EAD57000005DC-618_468x741.jpg
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    I thought only talented and respectful musicians were allowed in the 27 club :icon15:
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeanEG wrote: »

Nah, I'm just kiddin :)

I just wanted an excuse to post this. And it's about time this thread gets some kitties.

I take your cat and raise it a baby!

idemandanexplanationbab.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I don't feel bad for her. She made her own decisions that led to her death. People tried to help her and she refused. I will not mourn her death but, I hope people can view it as a lesson that we are not indestructible and should take the help of people that love us when it is given.

That being said, I am a really big fan of her music and I will mourn the loss of her talent.
    Ugh. This cover of the Specials is so good.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBzDitGloMo[/ame]
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Hopefully strengthens the message to the young'uns:

"Kids, don't do drugs!!!"

Edit: Seforin -- Horrible... but I laughed.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin wrote: »
    h6VpC.jpg

Indeed, tasteless and horrible, but I'll be darned if I didn't laugh. Posting it up on Reddit later?