Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    She won! But he's close!
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Nay! She lost, the challenge was to SURVIVE more than anybody could... Survive!

TIGERBLOOD WINS AGAIN!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    hahaha fricking tigerblood.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    lol, ok, on that perspective, you are right!
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man and i thought she'd gone the distance because of how long she survived through all that crack. Surely someone will miss her.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    DeeKei wrote: »
    Surely someone will miss her.

her dealer (sorry couldn't resist)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    guess she shoulda said yes yes yes to rehab...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    wow, THERE's an original one :/

I don't lose a single tear over people who throw their lives away on a drug addiction. I think it's pretty clear these days, what drugs will do to you, and to even mess with them is ignorant. I know the autopsy is yet to be released, but I would be extremely surprised if they find this not drug related. Even if it's heart failure, or a seizure, I would find it hard to overlook a drug connection.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally didn't care for her work or her lifestyle, I'm indifferent to her death. It's the headline everyone pretty much expected.

But some people, climb up on a high horse right along side those Westboro Baptist idiots... There's a time to push your agenda and rub your cause in someones face, at a funeral or crime scene isn't one of them...
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow - some pretty shameful responses in this thread.

A life is a life. And whether or not you see the good that's come from it doesn't mean that good never existed. I would bet my life every person in this world positively affects at least one person, either directly or indirectly.

To make assumptions, and pass judgments on a life you never knew, and a circumstance you never had is pretty fucking disgusting. Especially at a time of death.

If you have nothing respectful to say, why would you bother saying anything at all?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Neavah wrote: »
    Wow - some pretty shameful responses in this thread.

A life is a life. And whether or not you see the good that's come from it doesn't mean that good never existed. I would bet my life every person in this world positively affects at least one person, either directly or indirectly.

To make assumptions, and pass judgments on a life you never knew, and a circumstance you never had is pretty fucking disgusting. Especially at a time of death.

If you have nothing respectful to say, why would you bother saying anything at all?

A life is a life yes but arguing this same statement I can argue that it's a shame Hitler or Bin Laden is dead and we shouldn't rejoice in that. Really? Granted these examples are MUCH different then a crazed out of her mind drug addict / singer still the underlying theme is a life is a life. Right?

She sang some songs, did a shit ton of drugs and is dead. That is how I see it. Sad some people are this clueless but she isn't the first and won't be the last.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Neavah wrote: »

And that entitles them to... what. If a junkie gives another junkie their needle to use, that somehow entitles them to... what exactly; they did something nice for someone else, but I don't see your point.

She actively destroyed her system when there are hundreds of thousands of responsible family men, women and children out there who are on transplant lists for reasons out of their control. She was nothing but a junkie. Fuck her. She didn't even have the excuse of being raised in an abusive/negligent background, she had her father trying to save her life all the way along up to the time she died. (And it is only an excuse in most cases, when junkies use it for sympathy.)
  • seforin
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    yea cuz I'm sure all of you would say the same remarks about this guy,huh..

chris-farley-biography_jpg_300x1000_q85.jpg

Chris Farley died as a result of his lifestyle. It is a shame. I'm not saying it's a fantastic thing and it is sad he went when he did but people gotta know the dangers and shit when they live like that.

Chris wasn't a giant piece of shit like Amy was though. She just screamed crackhead.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    does raise an interesting point, though.

it's been proven that over-eating can damage your liver in similar ways to over use of drugs/alcohol. so with that in mind, at what point will fattys be discriminated against in the same way druggys are?
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    He was overweight, but that wasn't his cause of death...
    Chris Farley died of opiate (morphine) and cocaine intoxication and his death was determined to be an accident.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point Hboybowen, but i still reacted the same way... just shrugged sighed and moved on. I sorry that we don't agree on points of views but Life is life, I'm not gonna really care some one dies unless i knew them personally. Death is the reason everyone loves life in the first place so to act like it's a great evil or thing that isn't supposed to happen is just senseless. People die and people are born the universe could care less.
    Now live and let live.
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sucks when talent is wasted with drugs. I wonder how many crack heads have some crazy good talent out there.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farley did try to get help a few times so there was some hope he might turn his life around.

Winehouse was a bit different... she came out with a "F-U I'm fine song" and kept on going at it harder. "Rehab" was a signal to everyone he wasn't making it to 30. Both danced with some demons they couldn't control, its not shocking the way they ended up.

Maybe you where thinking of John Candy who died in his sleep of a heart attack?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    the people that know these celebrities in person, and consider them a friend or loved one will be sad. no doubt. But i for one dont see why everyone cares when a celebrity dies. Especially when its because of drugs, or if its someone that really didnt do anything big in their career. The highlight of amy's career was what? making a song about not wanting to go to rehab? look where it got her...

Yes, when good celebrities die, its a shame. But it definitely shouldnt make headlines for more than a die. especially when stuff like norway shit is going on.

All these people that get all upset and care so much about actors dying, I just dont understand. you didnt know them. You didnt even see the real them. they were acting every time you saw them.

I dont see threads being made about all the people in the death section of the newspaper that you didnt know.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I grew up with Gary Moore songs, i've seen him in concert. I didn't know him personnaly but when he died, i've been fucking sad. An artist touches people souls. I don't particulary know amy winehouse work, but i get she was an artist. I'm sorry, but yeah, this has more impact that an anonymous death. It seems pretty weird to me to not be saddened by the death of an artist you like. The day Mark Knopfler dies, i'll make a fucking depression D:
    But if you don't like music, movies, books, art in general, then, i understand your point of view.

We keep on beeing informed on Norway tragedy here while we don't talk anymore of her, so saying the priorities are messed up is wrong.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Farley did try to get help a few times so there was some hope he might turn his life around.

Winehouse was a bit different... she came out with a "F-U I'm fine song" and kept on going at it harder. "Rehab" was a signal to everyone he wasn't making it to 30. Both danced with some demons they couldn't control, its not shocking the way they ended up.

Maybe you where thinking of John Candy who died in his sleep of a heart attack?

John Candy :( He's a legend.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ alberto yes that was part of my point. Most people don't truely give a damn about anyone outside who people they have a connection with eg friend,family friend of a friend,etc. This is just common psychology. Though I've came to the conclusion through all my travels in the last few years that no matter if everyone around you don't care about life. An you(in the context of society not you personally) don't much either. At least show passion/love for human life.

I absolutely agree, but we can't hold everyone's hands. It's also somewhat subjective when it comes to caring about human life (pls don't let that sound evil), What i mean is all of us are going to care to a certain degree... can't really force much past that point. on this particular case... at least she went out like a champ taking crack to her limits :/
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ alberto yes that was part of my point. Most people don't truely give a damn about anyone outside who people they have a connection with eg friend,family friend of a friend,etc. This is just common psychology. Though I've came to the conclusion through all my travels in the last few years that no matter if everyone around you don't care about life. An you(in the context of society not you personally) don't much either. At least show passion/love for human life.

'In all your travels' you should have learned proper typing skills/punctuation/spelling/proper tense usage/sentence construction. I got none of what you were trying to say.SRSLY man. Unless English is not your first language, then apologies :poly124:
    Most people don't truely give a damn about anyone outside who people they have a connection with

What is this I don't even
    sucks when talent is wasted with drugs. I wonder how many crack heads have some crazy good talent out there.

WHAAAAAT. You are talking nonsense mate. What a mind-exploding way to think. People from all walks of life are the same in regards to talent; some have talent, some don't. So you don't need to romantisize the junkies, praise the people that deserve your praise.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    WHAAAAAT. You are talking nonsense mate. What a mind-exploding way to think. People from all walks of life are the same in regards to talent; some have talent, some don't. So you don't need to romantisize the junkies, praise the people that deserve your praise.

YES. YES. YES.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not being a grammar nazi mate, I literally cannot undestand what you meant to say there, thats how bad it is.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    At least show passion/love for human life.

Unconditionally caring about every single human death is impossible. Caring about someone moreso, because they were famous, is ridiculously shallow.

The way you've expressed your appreciation for all people - all life - no matter what they've done with their limited time here, is misguided and completely impossible.

Giving any kind of a fuck about someone that systematically killed themselves with substance and alcohol abuse, when you didn't have any kind of personal connection to them, is so misguided that it makes me lose faith in humanity, because people are so gormless that they'll value celebrity for celebrity's sake no matter their actual achievements or personal worth.

Her last show of her tour a couple of months ago, before it was cancelled:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttJg8901qAU[/ame]

Amy Winehouse's parents, her family, her friends - It must suck for them. They're the people I have sympathy for. Winehouse pushed every and anyone away who tried to help her. Her father even said that this is how she'd end up. She didn't give a fuck about living. She didn't value her own life, even with the massive opportunities she'd been afforded.

So your arguement for valuing all life. As nice as that is, it's impossible. It doesn't really stand. Especially when the person who lived that life was the one to end it.

She didn't deserve it. I don't think anyone in this thread is saying that they're glad she's dead. I think the general thing is that they don't care, which is entirely different and completely appropriate.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Caring about someone moreso, because they were famous, is ridiculously shallow.

Nonsense. Famous people reach us in ways random unknowns never can. It's not a personal connection, but when you see someone all the time who can provide entertainment you can't say there's no reason to care about them.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    dfacto wrote: »
    Nonsense. Famous people reach us in ways random unknowns never can. It's not a personal connection, but when you see someone all the time who can provide entertainment you can't say there's no reason to care about them.

I more meant that people tend to elevate famous people just because they're famous.

To me, that's shallow.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'm a fan of her music so I'm sad she's gone and won't be making more. But as said, I don't have an emotional connection to her so I'm not upset by her death, but the lack of what she provided. Like Glynn said, you really can't care for everyone.

Every person can make choices and this is the life she chose. She was a talented artist and I hope her family recovers soon.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    I more meant that people tend to elevate famous people just because they're famous.

To me, that's shallow.

it's only natural dude - I'm not a fan and never really followed her at all so I just kind of said "oh, that sucks". People feel sad when a celebrity dies because you feel like you know them. I'm a big fan of Stephen King and in one of his books, On Writing (i think) he even mentions something along the line of "hey, I know it feels like we are sitting down together having a conversation and we're best friends but it isn't real, so don't stalk me".

The fact that Stephen King is slowly going blind or Terry Pratchett is considering killing himself to avoid the effects of Alzheimer's really kind of hits me like it's a friend or family member.

TL : DR
    It's the opposite of shallow, it's empathy.

It's just naturaly harder to feel empathy for a faceless stranger - here's a test - somewhere in the world, someone just died as you read this, did you shed a tear?
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a fan of her music so I'm sad she's gone and won't be making more. But as said, I don't have an emotional connection to her so I'm not upset by her death, but the lack of what she provided. Like Glynn said, you really can't care for everyone.

Every person can make choices and this is the life she chose. She was a talented artist and I hope her family recovers soon.

So much truth in this. And I also agree with what Glynn said I think TV warps reality making the things that appear in it more important than they really are. Now, let's close this thread and let it rest in peace.
  • Julmust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Unconditionally caring about every single human death is impossible. Caring about someone moreso, because they were famous, is ridiculously shallow.

The way you've expressed your appreciation for all people - all life - no matter what they've done with their limited time here, is misguided and completely impossible.

Giving any kind of a fuck about someone that systematically killed themselves with substance and alcohol abuse, when you didn't have any kind of personal connection to them, is so misguided that it makes me lose faith in humanity, because people are so gormless that they'll value celebrity for celebrity's sake no matter their actual achievements or personal worth.

Her last show of her tour a couple of months ago, before it was cancelled:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttJg8901qAU

Amy Winehouse's parents, her family, her friends - It must suck for them. They're the people I have sympathy for. Winehouse pushed every and anyone away who tried to help her. Her father even said that this is how she'd end up. She didn't give a fuck about living. She didn't value her own life, even with the massive opportunities she'd been afforded.

So your arguement for valuing all life. As nice as that is, it's impossible. It doesn't really stand. Especially when the person who lived that life was the one to end it.

She didn't deserve it. I don't think anyone in this thread is saying that they're glad she's dead. I think the general thing is that they don't care, which is entirely different and completely appropriate.

You expressed my sentiments exactly.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I'm glad she's dead. Gives us another chance to circle jerk about how morally superior we are for not giving a f*ck about more successful people who enjoyed themselves more than we did.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    You know, I kind of wonder about which celebrities I would be really bummed about if they died.. I guess I would be heart broken if Tom Waits or Andrew WK kicked the bucket. But then again I've hung out with Andrew WK, before.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricV wrote: »
    what I dont understand is why some people love to hate on people who are addicted to some kind of drug or someone who they percieve to have wasted their life. Its like you're equating them to being a pedo which I think is unfair. They didnt harm anyone else so why lump them in a category with those kind of people?

For me personally, its because when I see a junkie in the street, I instantly think of the millions around the world on transplant lists, for reasons out of their control ;)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    EricV wrote: »
    what I dont understand is why some people love to hate on people who are addicted to some kind of drug or someone who they percieve to have wasted their life. Its like you're equating them to being a pedo which I think is unfair. They didnt harm anyone else so why lump them in a category with those kind of people?

I think most people who make these snap judgments are largely ignorant and unaware of the persons own motivations and inner turmoil that drives them to self destruct. Why people take offense to this and spit on them rather than try to understand them and show some compassion when they're in crisis, I cannot understand. To the claims that she pushed away her family therefore she deserved it; thats harsh. If she pushed them away, I reckon she did it for a reason.

because popular culture and it's iconic figures have no influence at all on the youth that follow them, right?
    when the level of underage drinking/drug use is on the rise, and it's being both encouraged and even given celebrity by those iconic figures, it's not hard to draw a link between the two.

so yes, sometimes people with addiction DO hurt people other than themselves, just indirectly.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yes, agreed with EricV. This springs to mind:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHC0s6G3VbM[/ame]
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Damn rooster that was amazing. It's hard to consider in this day and age that there was a day of ambiguity, when the idea of being a super star and what that entailed in terms of your influence with the masses was questionable. That a superstar was simply another person who had no idea of the ramification of their own actions on the general public, that it wasn't a huge calculated affair.

Anyway, to all the prudes, think about this. Talk all the shit you want, Amy Winehouse died "for her sins" on the grand stage, who knows how many people will consider their actions more fully due to her taking her own life.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn rooster that was amazing. It's hard to consider in this day and age that there was a day of ambiguity, when the idea of being a super star and what that entailed in terms of your influence with the masses was questionable. That a superstar was simply another person who had no idea of the ramification of their own actions on the general public, that it wasn't a huge calculated affair.

Anyway, to all the prudes, think about this. Talk all the shit you want, Amy Winehouse died "for her sins" on the grand stage, who knows how many people will consider their actions more fully due to her taking her own life.

I AGREE. I also miss the days when a star was a star because of their talents. Nowadays they're literally making them or choosing them from competitions. Hollywood and the mainstream media are out of control. the Music business is shit. And young kids eat up all that they are fed i mean look at justin bieber.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Paul McCartney is right on the money. :)
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Some really shitty remarks in here. Not that I care much about Amy Winehouse or her music, or her death for that matter. Being indifferent toward lifestyle-induced deaths is one thing, that stuff happens every day. But referring to junkies as a waste of oxygen or a living organ donor, even likening them to serial killers because they have lost traction on life? Hitlers and Bin Ladens? Come on.

The notion that drug addicts are destroying their lives of their own accord is cynical bullshit. Addiction can happen to anyone regardless of class and age, even in well-functioning families. It results from factors that are most often beyond control of those affected. Social pressure, work-related burnout, you name it. Not everyone's personality is (or stays, throughout life) as stable as some you guys seem to assume. Junkies do not "refuse help" because they fancy themselves as being addicts. It's a disease, not a lifestyle choice.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    no, she really did refuse help. i think you've missed the entire point of my bilious rampage of a post.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    peppi wrote: »
    The notion that drug addicts are destroying their lives of their own accord is cynical bullshit. Addiction can happen to anyone regardless of class and age, even in well-functioning families. It results from factors that are most often beyond control of those affected. Social pressure, work-related burnout, you name it. Not everyone's personality is (or stays, throughout life) as stable as some you guys seem to assume. Junkies do not "refuse help" because they fancy themselves as being addicts. It's a disease, not a lifestyle choice.

Did you actually read the past 30 replies or not? She not only refused rehab on a massive scale of bitchitude, but she also made a song which put it mildly, it telling people to sod off and not mind her business when people tried to help her, even her family.

I mean hell, I didn't know who she was until a few days ago, and suddenly all her dirty laundry is being put on display. Not only does it show the media's way of thinking, but also, how people perceive that 'fighting drugs' is courageous, but someone who never did drugs and dies, has no demons therefore no need to comment them.

Frankly, the only thing I learned from this topic is that I should OD on drugs and be an arse to everyone, only then (apparently from some people's way of thinking here) will I not only be respected, but mourned that I was person fighting my 'demons'.
  • makecg
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Did you actually read the past 30 replies or not? She not only refused rehab on a massive scale of bitchitude, but she also made a song which put it mildly, it telling people to sod off and not mind her business when people tried to help her, even her family.

I mean hell, I didn't know who she was until a few days ago, and suddenly all her dirty laundry is being put on display. Not only does it show the media's way of thinking, but also, how people perceive that 'fighting drugs' is courageous, but someone who never did drugs and dies, has no demons therefore no need to comment them.

Frankly, the only thing I learned from this topic is that I should OD on drugs and be an arse to everyone, only then (apparently from some people's way of thinking here) will I not only be respected, but mourned that I was person fighting my 'demons'.

My hat off to you, sir. Bravo.