Home General Discussion

L.A. Noire's 7 year dev cycle: Bad Management?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1178844p2.html

I think this part from the second page sums it up... and definitely applies to the gaming industry in general. It's probably the main thing that needs addressed.
The wider issue, one animator believes, is "game companies thinking that crunch can solve poor scheduling, or bad design decisions made early on in a project."

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    An artist with 12 years professional experience recalls, "They created a below-junior position; 'graduate junior', I think, so they could pay less and push people around." Team Bondi was the first – and last – game development company that he worked for. "I don't want another job in the game industry because of my experience [at Bondi]. Most of the [artists] I know who worked there, never want to work in games again."

Man...That's brutal.
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    Great Article.
    I can relate alot!

My 1st job in the industry was the same. A junior thrown into the deep end, working 9am-10pm for weeks at a time. I just thought thats how it was.
    Then when i started to see recuring events - like design leads requesting changes to me or others 1 on 1, without consulting Leads or within the Heirachy. I became aware of the environment i was in.
    The nail in the coffin was seeing half the environment team quit, and having HR beg us not to leave.

Hopefully the guys that left have taken this as a lesson learned:
    1. Dont be a sucker.
    2. If your gonna work your ass off something crazy like 80-100 hours week, do it for your own shit.

Too bad for Team Bondi...Rockstar gets to see all da monieez $.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like someone needs to take them to task for such awful practices. Disgusting. It's a shame that people don't rally together when they pull this shit.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Man, this is not something new, it happened in several studios. The same horror stories as always.

Anyways, it's good to know all this, we can make bigger our blacklist.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Colour me naive but i was really surprised by this article. Interesting read.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Reading stuff like this makes me not wanna try to break into the industry. I know you have to make sacrifices to break into such a hard industry (I'd move anywhere at the drop of a hat), but I don't think it's worth what would be my sanity and health.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    McNamara seems to have a severe case of the "it's how things were done when I started, so that must be the only way to do it" attitude. If you think about all the overtime that was worked, they probably spent 10-12 years of actual dev time.

It's very telling to read his quotes. I'm on the 3rd disc right now, but that guy has no reason to deserve an elitist rockstar attitude. Game is average.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    tda wrote: »
    Colour me naive but i was really surprised by this article. Interesting read.

Rockstar were in the news for this very same stuff last year, but that time with the RDR team.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Seems to have all the same red flags as other crap studio stories. Someone with industry experience really should write a short pamphlet on how to recognize and get the hell out of a bad studio.

Though really, there's one main point that is a golden rule for any situation: Don't work for assholes.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    I worked with that kind of people. The best kind of advice I can give is when you hear "They/you have to be grateful/happy you're a part of blah blah bli blah..." run like hell - major asshattery is about to befall on you.

asshat-22713.jpg
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    These people are insane(everyone).

Its like these companys dont obey any employment laws(have no structure), or the employees are stupid, or maybe these countries dont have laws.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    d1ver wrote: »
    ..."They/you have to be grateful/happy you're a part of blah blah bli blah..." run like hell - major asshattery is about to befall on you.

That's something i have been said recently, and the worse... from someone i considered a friend :S
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I can relate to that to some extent. McNamara sounds exactly like what a producer I worked with before would be like if he had the money and power that McNamara did.

This is not the first time I read horror stories from a Rockstar game too. Even though they made my favorite game of this generation (RDR), Rockstar is definitely a developer that I'd think twice before accepting a job offer from.
  • Acr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acr0 polycounter lvl 5
    The developers accounts all indicate that the studio functioned under a decidedly informal hierarchy. If writer/director Brendan McNamara wanted something changed, he'd just go and talk to the staff member implementing it, rather than going through lead staff. "Often the leads weren't involved," remembers a programmer. "If you'd talk to your lead and say, 'Hey, Brendan's making this unreasonable demand,' they'd be understanding, but they're ultimately powerless. They can't go and tell Brendan that it's not feasible, just as much as I couldn't tell him. He just won't listen to reason."

holy crap. that is so wrong on so many levels I can't even begin to think how that could be justified in a working evironment
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Im so glad I work were I work. Stuff like this is pretty nutty to hear about.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Calabi wrote: »
    These people are insane(everyone).

Its like these companys don't obey any employment laws(have no structure), or the employees are stupid, or maybe these countries dont have laws.

here in vancouver, there is a nice little loop hole that entertainment industry workers are exempt from overtime pay, because back in the day EA threatened to move their main studio out of BC if the government was going to make them pay overtime. soooooooooo awesome.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion its not usually "bad management", its companies planning to have a crunch period so they can get 1.5-2x the normal amount of work out of people without having to pay them or even hire additional people they would have to pay. pure cuntishness.

as for the huge dev time, this seems standard for R*, have a bunch of different projects being all over the map for 3 years and then focus on 1 and pump on that like crazy. its currently happening here in Vancouver on Max Payne 3, and people have been working crazy overtime on that game for well over a year. like mandatory 12 hour days, 6 days a week. I will never, ever work for rockstar.

"Part of the thing is that we pay over the odds, and it says in their contract that if they need to do extra time. I've done 20 years of not getting paid for doing that kind of stuff. I don't begrudge it. I get the opportunity to make these things."" - quote from the article.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? oh wow....the opportunity to make some corporate fucks a big bonus cheque, no no, dont pay me anything extra for my trouble, or the fact I am working like a slave for you. but man, those $10 overtime meals are totally worth an extra 3-5 hours of my time!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's a shame when I hear about people having a shitty first experience in the biz that puts them off of it forever.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    This made me physically sick...
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Its kind of ironic its Rockstar as didnt they start out as an independent developer.

Now they are basically fascists. I like how they guy basically admitted it.

This is why the industry is going stale.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    And there go my dreams of working for rockstar.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Crazy. That's really sad about the artists who say they never want to work in games again. I definitely don't blame them after going through something like that.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Sounds really awful.

The part that always gets me with crunch is starts off only being for a couple of weeks then it gets pushed to a month, then a couple of months then in this case 7 years!! This one sounds so bad it was like double crunch.

Not sure how it's acceptable in any way....
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Team Bondi was originally a Sony (SCEE)studio, McNamara having been 'The Mastermind' behind The Getaway, proceeded to setup his studio after that, with Sony's help in his home country. R* swept in to pick up the slack to publish after Sony bailed or booted and probably had zero to do with TB's... erm 'Issues'.

People shouldn't be thinking or being discouraged that this is normal for dev studios, this character has been infamous for some time, at least within the UK.

Anyway when starting out don't forget to bring your balls, it is OK to punch your boss if he gets out of hand.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What happens if my balls are small, don't pack a punch and generally look like dingle berries.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think firestarter needs a TV show where he goes round and sort out all these unsavory people.
  • erwilly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McNamara quotes make me sick.

If you have crunch time, fire producer... with real fire!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    What happens if my balls are small, don't pack a punch and generally look like dingle berries.

probably not much, provided your office attire covers them up to some extent.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    True story: one time when I was first starting out, one of my bosses yelled at me in front of a couple of coworkers. I calmly took him out into the hallway and told him that if he ever did that again I would resign on the spot. He never yelled at me again.

Passion, disagreements, and arguments are to be expected. But that is no excuse for behaving like a goddamn child.

Another boss I had at the second studio I worked at gave me a really hard time. Unlike the other boss who just yelled at me in a moment of stress, this guy was actively disrespectful and I ended up concluding I couldn't reasonably expect him to start acting like an adult anytime soon. So I decided to leave and try my luck elsewhere.

Maybe a year or so after I left, I heard the studio had shut down, with tons of ridiculous drama happening along the way. So glad I missed out on that. I'm not saying people should skip town the moment things get tough, but have the self-respect to say "enough" and walk away when something is clearly an abusive relationship with no real hope of improvement.

But like Firestarter said, this is definitely not normal or standard for dev studios. In my opinion, it's something that insecure and arrogant higher-ups do because they don't trust their team to get things done with normal scheduling. Where I work, and I'm sure this is true of many other places, we typically work around 45 hours a week and only do any crunching in the few weeks leading up to a major milestone. And even then, it's never been mandatory.

There are times to suck it up and put your personal ego aside, and there are times to stand up for yourself. The important thing is to get a good balance.

edit: Some additional words of wisdom from Khang Le, leader of the Hawken dev team:
    "You know what's cool?", he says. "We have never had a crunch yet. People are putting in 7-8 hours a day. No ones works on the weekend. I think I'm most proud of that. Keeping everyone working happy and healthy. Game development shouldn't have to be a death march. I would rather cut scope than have a stressful office."
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Hate reading stuff like this, how did the creator of the getaway get so bigheaded though, it was shit!!!!!
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    No wonder so many people are pissed about being left off the credits, that crunch is nuts.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We need to unionize, really. I know it's not 'cool' or whatever, but if you plan on feeding 2 or 3 kids and paying a mortgage in the future, while still working in this industry, its the best way that I can see of going forward...
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    We need to unionize, really. I know it's not 'cool' or whatever, but if you plan on feeding 2 or 3 kids and paying a mortgage in the future, while still working in this industry, its the best way that I can see of going forward...

150px-Rom_and_his_union.jpg
    "Maybe I don't know much about Ferengi culture, but I do know who holds the lease on your bar."

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that finally explains these ears of mine :P
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getaway? As in the British Mafia GTA styled game? He is the head of that game and now is bigheaded because of that?

Err, no offense to anyone, but that game wasn't exactly great...nothing to really get to your head...
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering, has anyone ever been in situation like this that corrected itself and got better?

Or is it always the case that situations like these never get better without outside intervention like the lawsuit against EA?

My impression is that these things never get better and if you find yourself in such a situation it's best to just get out as soon as possible.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    All I can say is

That guy shouldn't be managing a fast food joint, much less an entire studio.
    The quotes in that article suggest he knows nothing of how to actually manage people, or projects for that matter.

The quotations from him read like all the "how to be an ineffective manager" examples in a basic intro to management course.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Getaway? As in the British Mafia GTA styled game? He is the head of that game and now is bigheaded because of that?

Err, no offense to anyone, but that game wasn't exactly great...nothing to really get to your head...

the only thing great about that game was the top-notch environment work, everything else was fucking horrific

I'm no longer surprised sony pulled it off and didn't fund the ps3 sequel.
    (I was sort of expecting it, after seeing the tech demo a few years ago)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    "You know what's cool?", he says. "We have never had a crunch yet. People are putting in 7-8 hours a day. No ones works on the weekend. I think I'm most proud of that. Keeping everyone working happy and healthy. Game development shouldn't have to be a death march. I would rather cut scope than have a stressful office."

No ones works on the weekend, No ones works on the weekend, No ones works on the weekend. This is good enough for me, though I don't even get that, how nice is that shit.

As for the does It get better, I dropped an employer(freelance but lot of work) 1 year later he's come back, I didn't want to but I gave him a 2nd chance. It started out fine, then the load came, I work crazy hours but he's compensating me enough but if things get to heavy I gotta go (most wouldn't do what I am doing but I am in a situation that I can't really think of myself.) cause he's just like the description above, childish and trying to push for too much too fast, let's just say I almost quit today.

I am still optimistic and hope that he thinks twice cause he doesn't even have a clue how close I came to just dropping everything. Email loaded ready to go, I took a breather.

It's sad that a situation like this had to come about for any raised voices to be heard I've been waiting for a topic like this and seeing some of the actions that come about or what we might have to look out for in the future, but I am all for the idea of unionizing we would own... no question.

Just say when.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    What I think is interesting is that companies are going to continue to do stuff like this and for one reason...they CAN. I would bet that if Team Bondi posted they were looking for people to fill seats, they would have hundreds and hundreds of applicants. We allow companies to treat us like crap because we keep applying to work there. Until we say "Hey these guys are a bunch of D-bags and I don't care how much money they give me I am not going to work for them." Nothing is going to change. I believe if we really want stuff to change in this industry we have to say enough is enough and stop working for these people. They need us more than we need them...remember that.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Some additional words of wisdom from Khang Le, leader of the Hawken dev team

Sounds like they have a good thing going on there. We're doing a few titles here and don't push it crazy hard, TBH it's mostly me in the office till late but still go home for dinner.

Another one of those true stories (2001~02): I used to work in a game studio here in Japan, we were small fry doing stuff for Nintendo at the time, no-one could leave the office before the Boss. He stayed every day until midnight. At the time I thought it was outrageous, but after making a few friends in Japan and talking to other people, this turned out to be the norm! People work crazy hours here, overtime is unheard of, in nearly every industry.

One day we got into a massive argument, he threw a chair towards me. Big guy too. I just grabbed my books, my win95 split keyboard and left never to return.

The next day I found 3 months wages dumped in my bank account from the studio!
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Orgoth02 wrote: »
    What I think is interesting is that companies are going to continue to do stuff like this and for one reason...they CAN. I would bet that if Team Bondi posted they were looking for people to fill seats, they would have hundreds and hundreds of applicants. We allow companies to treat us like crap because we keep applying to work there. Until we say "Hey these guys are a bunch of D-bags and I don't care how much money they give me I am not going to work for them." Nothing is going to change. I believe if we really want stuff to change in this industry we have to say enough is enough and stop working for these people. They need us more than we need them...remember that.

I have to admit, that reading these stories makes me think "Ooh I might avoid them, or those and that one", yet I can still see myself applying for every and any role available to me when I leave Uni as I don't feel that I will get anywhere by being picky.

It just seems too hard to get in to be able to.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Mathew O wrote: »
    I have to admit, that reading these stories makes me think "Ooh I might avoid them, or those and that one", yet I can still see myself applying for every and any role available to me when I leave Uni as I don't feel that I will get anywhere by being picky.

It just seems too hard to get in to be able to.

Like it has been said a few times in this thread, most companies are not like this and actually value their employees. Those are the ones you should be trying to work for. There is nothing worse than just feeling like a number and knowing you are completely replaceable. It's not a matter of being picky, it is a matter of knowledge and knowing who you are going to work for.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Like it has been said a few times in this thread, most companies are not like this and actually value their employees. Those are the ones you should be trying to work for. There is nothing worse than just feeling like a number and knowing you are completely replaceable. It's not a matter of being picky, it is a matter of knowledge and knowing who you are going to work for.

Yeah.. Well I definitely have a couple that I would love to join out of uni but I wonder whether I'll be able to afford to picky at all as a graduate with next to no experience.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator

which is why i'm going to have to bump firestater's post
    Team Bondi was originally a Sony (SCEE)studio, McNamara having been 'The Mastermind' behind The Getaway, proceeded to setup his studio after that, with Sony's help in his home country. R* swept in to pick up the slack to publish after Sony bailed or booted and probably had zero to do with TB's... erm 'Issues'.

People shouldn't be thinking or being discouraged that this is normal for dev studios, this character has been infamous for some time, at least within the UK.

it surprises me that on a forum where people constantly geek out and throw a spack fit over the tiniest minutae of games and the games industry, they'll also happily broad-brush or fuck up over whacking great details like developer/publisher and make emotive statements like 'i will never work for X'
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It was common knowledge in the local industry that Team Bondi treated their employees like shit. The real reason they kept hiring the newbies is because no one else in their right mind would work there unless they were super-desperate. I got to that stage after being unemployed for the better part of a year. I went in for an interview and art test. While I didn't really get to speak to any of the team, the sense of gloom and depression there was pretty palpable.

The important lesson here for you new kids is that you need to do your research before getting yourself caught up in a hell hole like this. Do some reading, send some emails, ask on Polycount or other forums. Whatever you need to do to get a sense of the conditions in a studio before commiting.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Andreas wrote: »

Shhhhhhh. Keep your voice down. People might hear you.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or you know, as someone said, bash them with our balls:

pompoko.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade wrote: »
    It was common knowledge in the local industry that Team Bondi treated their employees like shit.

yeah, there's always a chance you could get screwed on your first job because you don't have the connections to know what studios to avoid.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, there's always a chance you could get screwed on your first job because you don't have the connections to know what studios to avoid.

Year to be honest I've work in games for almost 10 years and don't have a clue how to start vetting a studio as a good place to work, if I happened to know somewhere who worked there then great. But otherwise what should someone do? And actually this sounds a lot more common then some posts make it out to be and it's just full on exploitation, although this particular example is the worst of the worst.

I don't even know what danr was saying, sounded like STFU and quit your bitching?
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    The point is not to completely condemn Rockstar just because a company associated with it had a jerk for a leader. Not all companies are like this but unfortunately, like any other industry, there are some.