Home General Discussion

is 12gb ram unnecessary?

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm using the corsair H-50 watercooler. it's amazing.

gonna switch my entire system to watercooling after i move house :D

lamont. the H-50/70 come with a fan (H-70 comes with 2) which is controlled by the CPU fan controller on the motherboard. the H-70 is designed so you can do a push/pull system. my H-50 just pulls air from outside the case, the entire system still runs very cool, cpu temp never goes over 32c and the GPU doesn't suffer from the slightly higher ambient temperature.

that graph shows the RPM of the fan on the radiator.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    that graph shows the RPM of the fan on the radiator.

RPM measurement alone is only important if you like watching things spin very quickly.
    Actually noise levels are what is of interest/concern, measured "against" RPM. And that is only meaningful if we also know what kind of performance we get at that rpm
    ( thermal performance or perhaps energy/$cost ).

Silver Arrow Push/Pull @ 810 rpm gives better thermal performance than
    H70 push/pull @ 1610rpm.

Knowing this...
    The graph shows that
    at 810 rpm the Silver Arrow noise level is 33 dba
    ( still loud enuff to bug the easily irritated, @ full blast my Gelids have a "real" dba of 33 as well and personally they r whisper quiet to my ears )

at 1610 rpm the h70 noise level is 50 dba!

As Lamont points out, H70 ( as well as any cooler really )
    is at the Mercy of the fan u use.
    And in the Xbit review used here the h70 using the thermalright fans performs much better than stock.
    Obviously, the noise from Corsair’s two default fans is beyond all criticism. Even at 4 V and minimal 890 RPM, their noise level is above the subjective comfort zone of 36 dBA and way above the noise from the super-cooler fans. If we didn’t take the noise into account, then Corsair H70 could somehow compete against Thermalright, but in terms of acoustics, the defeat is overwhelming.
    ouch.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    If I were to run that fanless cooler, then I would upgrade the rear fan for sure (rear fan is replaced with the H70). I did some measurements and I think it would fit with my normal profile memory. Here's a shot of in the case (mATX in a P180):

matx580.JPG

Right now, it's at a cool 22c with ambient temps of 25c. That fanless might be in my case mid summer. The more I read about it, the more attractive it is. Like the Sarah Plain and Tall of CPU coolers.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    just saw this thread and it made me laugh. at home i have a computer with 16gb ram, and i never have issues, however, im still waiting for zbrush to respond on the machine im on currently.. which only has 4gb... 12gb is not too much. :D
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    lamont, you should put order there :), because with those huge wires, you kill more the airflow (the vga is taking almost all the space). The majority of the psu wires can be placed behind the mobo, and you could have all perfectly organized. I suppose you must have a good cooler in the front, right?

How many ºC have your cpu at idle? i was going to buy a water cooling system, but i ended buying one cheaper.

A good air cooler must have perfomance and slow noise profiles. Something like 150 m³/h-1200rpm-20db is a great thing.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost all cables go behind the mobo minus the ones you see, this is because they are the only ones not long enough. It's only the cable for the mobo and the videocard that are not behind the mobo tray.

As of now with an ambient room temp of 26c, CPU is at a cool 21c, and the GPU is at 33c. My machine has been on all night rendering fly-throughs (plain vanilla Lightwave, no plugins). Looking at the logs, the CPU peaked at 34c.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, if your mobo has normal profile ram, and in a case large enough, an air cooler, or that fanless cooler will be perfect. The Noctua and the Thermaltake cost the same as the H70 (with fan upgrades). Grab the passive Thermaltake, and if it's not cool enough fanless, add one fan, it looks kick-ass on the reviews. 0DB? Sign me up, then just worry about the GPU fans.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I dont regret buying my 12 gig, there running in dual so i've thrown the 1 gb in there aswell. SSD's are next on my hit list.

hl7.jpg

Its kept stupidly cool thanks to a antec 900 case :)

Max seems to be alot more stable now ive pulled the ram up from 2 gb anyway
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    13gb? Chances are you're messing up your dual/triple/whatever config doing that.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's showing up that way because it looks like a laptop. 12 for OS 1 for video.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I hope so. It's how I remember it being on laptops back in the day.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    13gb? Chances are you're messing up your dual/triple/whatever config doing that.

But it's only dual channel with 4 slots so 3, 4gb and 1gb stick. So they shouldnt interfer as far as i know ;s

Also its a desktop a very large one at that ;o
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some mobos support non-matching pair for dual channel, so it may be running fine. If not, then meh.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Certain Intel chipsets support different capacity chips in what they call Flex Mode: the capacity that can be matched is run in dual-channel, while the remainder runs in single-channel.

From wiki^

So, his 1+4 pair is going to run in single channel? Really would be best to have a matching pair. I mean clearly his computer wont blow up if he does it, it just seems pretty silly to do. Better to just spend $50 or whatever on another 4gb.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aha, but where would i get that extra £35? from when being a uni student in england is like being on the doll but everyones' proud of you. Its on my list anyway ;)
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hold on until April... moar loans coming through :)
    At least thats what I am doing.... will be building my pc then.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My wife's computer is gonna get this. Not too spendy. I put in a fanless 210 last night. She doesn't use demanding apps.

I doubt it will work on my quad core render box.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Man, I so wish I had a machine with 12 gb, my 2 gb just doesn't cut it at all. Stuck with a motherboard which can only take max 4 gb DDR2/667 ram. :P And wouldn't you know, a 2x2gb DDR2 ram is more expensive then 2x2gb DDR3 ram. Apparently my ram is becoming more valuable as old wine, £15-20 more.
    Any chance someone got a couple old cheap 2gb DDR2/667 memory stick laying around for sale? Would personally just want to buy a whole new motherboard and all, but kinda broke and unemployed at the moment.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed wrote: »
    Any chance someone got a couple old cheap 2gb DDR2/667 memory stick laying around for sale? Would personally just want to buy a whole new motherboard and all, but kinda broke and unemployed at the moment.
    I will go take a look.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    for a cool and silent pc i would use alot of heatpipe douchebaggery, (they seem more reliavle to me than watercooling, and at some degree of the previously named douchbaggery looks like steampunk)

also 12 gb is good for intel cpus with tripple channel support.
    on amd i see no point for 12 gb since there are 4 ram slots most of the time and i do not know of 3 gb ram bars.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    How silent/cool do you want it?

Mineral_Oil_Submerged_Computer_1.jpg

Put it in some clean mineral oil.

Or ghetto rig it, blaow

dsc03287.jpg
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I saw one of those mineral oil cooling rigs on youtube... looked ... different :p
    Not too easy to move though!!
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Lamont wrote: »
    I will go take a look.

Ah cool, send me a PM if you manage to find some. :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like someone is trying to deep fry the PC.

Happened to find an P180 (microATX) running SLI. The owner of this thing calls it "The HotBox".

hotbox.jpg

My Define R3 will be here Monday. I hope that damn 580 fits.