Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP UDK: Walking Dead Inspired Hospital

I've been working on this scene for a couple of weeks now and thought it was far enough to post some WIPs. I'm a huge fan of the Walking Dead AMC series (not so much the comic actually) and so inspiration was heavily drawn from the hospital scene in episode one. I'm still quite a ways off from completion as there is really no rubble, bullet casings, or damage anywhere but I'll be layering that on slowly after all the main pieces are completed. Props are also slowly coming along to make it look like it was once a fully functional hospital. And, of course, blooooooood. Everyone loves blood right? Vampires are so in.

Update:

here's the latest just so it's easier to see on the front page

WD_01.jpg

WD_02.jpg

WD_03.jpg

WD_04.jpg

So, I finally got back into this scene last week after taking a bit of a break from 3D. I've got 2 or 3 more props to finish, as well as doing the ceiling damage/associated rubble. To be honest I'm kind of tired of looking at this scene since it's been simmering for so long. I'm gonna call it a wrap and hopefully have this finished in the next few days. Hopefully I did the series good :)

Thanks for lookin

Replies

• DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Wow this is looking really nice, i'm loving the lighting, how did you get that film grain look in there, is it a postprocess or are you just doing that in photoshop?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I thought those were shots from Left 4 Dead. You've got the mood down pretty nice.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I like the mood, but for the last picture, that door is a bit of a clashing standout proportion-wise - I don't know, maybe the frame is a tad thick, doorknob too low or the window too large.

It might be another thing altogether, like the bottom part of the wall being a bit high.
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth - it's just the default film grain from UDK. I also used the colour remapping post process to achieve the filtered look.

LRoy - thanks, that's what i was going for :)

leilei - now that I look at it again, the doorknob does look too low. When I was placing it, I was basing it off of how high my apartment door handle was, and since it was by my hip, I placed it to a similar area of where a 96uu character would be. But yeah I definitely agree, something that I should adjust. Thanks for the good eye.
  • af3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    af3d polycounter lvl 10
    I really like what you did with the fallen letters on the information desk- really looking forward to seeing this scene progress.
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    Whoah, I think I just shit my pants, that is an awesome mood! Scary, that is.
    Cant wait until I see some chaos, blood and dead bodies!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Almost didn't click on this because I've seen a little too much zombie-related everything--but that would have been a shame :) Even tired stuff is worth a look well done, a point which the show itself makes quite well.

Thanks for posting! Lovely sense of atmosphere so early on, well done. Taking notes here and looking forward to future updates.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Love the fourth and fifth pictures. The lightings great and really portrays that abandoned horror environment! The others come off as dark and the compositions a little blarg but they're still Wips so it doesnt mean much.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    This is something altogether pretty epic. I could imagine more of a dead space feel to the 'undead' though, just not your average zombies kind of thing.

great work anyway, cant wait to see where you take it!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking very nice. Feels kind of like L4D from the film grain. Doesn't remind me of The Walking Dead at the moment because of the lack of debris, bullet holes and all of the things that go with the theme of the dead taking over and most of humanity failing. You said you'd be adding those things later though and I'm sure once you add them it will feel like it belongs in that universe.
  • Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice, i just had to do a double take cause i thought it was all reference shots. nice :) it happens when ya go through stuff fast
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Love this shot: http://novuscom.net/~chiyo.lai/hospital/04.jpg

I too had to do a double lookover cause I thought they were references. Good job.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it, awesome work so far!

If I had to critique something, its that your lighting probably needs more ambient bounce lighting. It seems really dark. It was day time when he wondered out, and some natural lighting filtering in from an opened door or a random window would give you some more interesting colors and lights to contrast against the darkness, it might help tell the story of the scene a little more too.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Nice mood, i love this kind of Silent hill/dead space/event horizon/<insert dark moody IP> stuff.

Will be watching :)
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    Really nice scene! love those materials and that lighting.

However I do agree with Mark. Might want to look at brightening it up in the darks. Or you could look into getting slightly greener/yellow in those lights.
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the encouraging comments everyone! I'm glad it's headed in the right direction and I'll post updates when I make some more significant progress.

Mark - I had been playing with the amount of bounce (I think it's limited to a single bounce now, when the default was 3) and kept going back and forth with how much to let in. I will have to give a proper lighting pass once everything is in with all the props but I was thinking what I would do to imply daylight is have light seeping in from underneath the room doors. It would be great if I could have a couple doors open and have more light bleed in that way but with the timeline I want to complete this, it's not realistic for me to to have to model a bunch of extra props that then goes into a hospital room as well :| Actually, I was thinking of creating an elevator shaft with the doors stuck slightly open, exposing the shaft itself with some flickering lights. Scope wise it seems pretty manageable and I can use some cool light to contrast. Some smeared blood or something trailing into it to tell a bit of a story might be nice too.
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Like it a lot !!

This shot is really really great :

http://novuscom.net/~chiyo.lai/hospital/03.jpg

The reflection on the ground, the composition, etc it's just rad !

Great idea for the lighting !
    Because for now, as Mark said, there is something missing in the lighting but with some doors opened and light coming from the inside of the rooms it'll be better :)

Can't wait to see more of this project !
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started a new job yesterday so finding time to work on this scene has been a little challenging. I did manage to spend the last couple of evenings on this asset tho. By itself probably not all that exciting, but something I needed to have done for the environment as a whole :)

officechair.jpg
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Nice attention to detail there with the underside of the legs :)
  • CHON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome ambience u did it very well can't wait to see further !
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Ah great! How are you going to approach the blood and shit? Decals?

Looking forward for updates!
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys, i'm gonna try to finish 1 prop everyday or two and have this thing wrapped up within a couple weeks.

sltrOlsson, i was planning yeah on a mixture of debris 3d meshes and yep flat geo card decals and the decal actor
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Popngear... you are my hero, I am glad your doing this, this is my favorite show! Its looking fantastic and I have no crits for you. Good Luck and i'll be watching!
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    popngear, how are you achieving that falloff with the light? It reminds me of the lighting in some parts of Mafia II and I really like it. Any hints on how you get those results?
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaJohnny - yep, it's a badass show. I can't wait for season 2 but i think i'ts like 8 or 10 months out?

tavor - Instead of using point lights, i set the florescent meshes to emit light into the scene. IIRC, emissive based lighting is calculated using area lights which is responsible for the falloff.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    popngear wrote: »
    aaJohnny - yep, it's a badass show. I can't wait for season 2 but i think i'ts like 8 or 10 months out?

Yeah I think in the fall they are starting back up.
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some progress with a couple more props including a hospital bed and an old Sony Trintron TV (I used to have one :D )in the corner.

bed.jpg
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll have to adjust the door or scale the bed a bit as it won't even fit in the room, oops :|
  • CHON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanna play it !! :p
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally updated...edited first post with details.

WD_01.jpg

WD_02.jpg

WD_03.jpg

WD_04.jpg
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
    This is pretty fantastic. If I didn't know any better I would think that this was a concept for the tv series.

One thing that sticks out like a sore thumb to me though is the computer blue screen in the first pic. To me it looks like you cut and paste it on there, post.

Other then that one thing, two thumbs up!
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dismembered, I think if I up the bloom value on the blue screen it'll help; thanks for pointing that out. Actually, I might just change the screen although I wanted to have it a blue screen to help show passage of time.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    did an amazing job with the lighting!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    I haven't had a chance yet to say this is some awesome work. I'm a fan of the show and I think your doing a great job conveying the story behind the environment. Your attention to detail/ texture work is really selling it well. Do you have some film grain thing going on in the textures or Post? Keep up the good work.
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    It looks bloody awsome.....you get it..........*caugh*
    anyways I love what you have going on. Fantastic work!
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    This is awesome. Very gritty, the lighting and colours look great. I think the chair could use some more polys at the top though.
  • bgoodsell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This came out looking great! How'd you achieve that horror grain effect in your shots?
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys. I put extra care into the little details so I hope you guys can pick them out if you look carefully :)

Walrus, good suggestion, I am going to smooth that out the final images. Thanks for pointing it out.

For people who have been asking about the film grain, it is a default realtime screen post process that the UDK comes with located in the UberPostProcess node (it is disabled by default, as well as the vignette).

Here are the steps required to enable the film grain:

FG_A.jpg

FG_B.jpg

FG_C.jpg
  • polythemus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work overall!
    What I noticed first that stood out to me was the lighting.
    Overall I like the mood your going for, but I think it would be improved you could get the illusion of some light bouncing onto the ceiling.
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah agreed, I've been trying to get the bounce to hit the ceiling but when I up the values it floods too much of the rest of the scene so I may just do some manual light placement. The value of the lighting on the ceiling in the hallway is what I'd like to achieve in the lobby area. I guess the hallway lights like that because it is much narrower, allowing a lot more light to bounce to the ceiling.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Cheers dude, thanks a lot for the tutorial!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Looks awesome, great atmosphere.
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more prop checked off the list...up next, exciting coffee table..weeeww

IV.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    WAY too much noise. I suggest going into the noise material and adding a constant node and linking it to the opacity parrameter. Maybe at 0.6 or 0.7? That way, the noise will be less strong.

Also, I dont know why, but your Ambient Occlusion seems to be shaded blue... which is whats making the blood look wierd. Post a pic with normal black AO. I think it'll look a little better.

Nice work tho. Reminds me very much of F.E.A.R. In a good way. :)
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I might tone down the noise a tad for screenshots, though I should mention I am using the current setting because in realtime when the noise animates it is far less pronounced. Good eye though. I'm using the default UDK post process noise which already has a parameter that you can control in the world properties.

As far as the the shade of the AO, it's an intentional colour grading on the entire image. It might be worth visiting after I finish the scene to tweak with the post a bit, but the intention was to grade the shadows to a sickly purple hue. I suppose the blood has fallen "victim" so to speak.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    that's one of the nice things about colour grading, it'd be really easy to mask out the effect on reds.

looking fantastic man. :] excellent surfacing and compositions.
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    I love the atmosphere! Keep up the good work!
  • RedRaven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRaven polycounter lvl 10
    Man, this is some SEXY work right here. If you don't mind me asking, any chance if you could go through (typed without images is fine) the kind of pipeline you went through to create one of your props? I'm particularly keen on the medical bed.

If possible, would you mind covering your concepting, modeling and texturing work flow