Home General Discussion

Dead Space 2: Anyone playing it?

I am enjoying it. With the lights turned off there will be some moments that will make you jump and the space combat is wicked.

Any polycounters try this game out yet?

Replies

• xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    yes, i died in first 15 seconds,
    lol, very fun and scary!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I just got 1 with the Steam sale. And though it is fun, the controls are BAD BAD ports of a console. So unless they have improved the mouse functions on the PC port this time, Im going to wait until its dirt cheap before trying it.

(Samples of bad, it cant understand multiple monitors, so it mimicks the desktop movement of the mouse. So while your playing on one monitor, your horizontal is twice as much as your vertical in movement. Then going into aim mode, your movement drops to nilla nd you literally have to keep moving the mouse of the pad and backdown to do large mouselooks)
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    I liked DS1 and finished Amnesia: Dark Descent a couple of weeks ago. I'm ready for some new scares. I talked to someone that has played it for a few hours so far and they gave a thumbs up.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I want to know if they fixed the ultra-retarded controls from the first game port to PC.

I'll probably get it even if they haven't but I'm waiting for a steam sale, I hate that they put the first game on sale on steam instead.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    was gonna buy it tomorrow - i'll see how i go...
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I like it so far. Isaac's voice is definitely not as bad as I feared it would be, the voice acting is good. Facial animation is much better, as is hair (you noticed how bad it was in the first minute of dead space 1.) Lighting is much creepier. Suit looks sleeker. More difficult (started on Zealot.)
    I have it for PS3, so I can't complain about controls and the like.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Shit is too intense for me, I'm pussying out and waiting for some company before I play it again :)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    i wanna play it.. and i will play it this weekend! >_<
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Maybe it was because I played with a single monitor and that I turned off vertical sync (as suggested) but the game ran and controlled smoothly and responsively.

As for DS2, it's in the post. We UK'ers have to wait you know.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    played and completed the first one..

my girlfriend doesnt let me play the 2nd one :/

(don't like survival horror where you can buy weapons and ammo and shit anyways..RE4 Im talking to you..)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It is so very rare for me to purchase a game at full price. I'm a bit of a cheap-ass, and I like to peruse the clearance section at Target for picking up a lot of my games.

Yesterday, I went out to Best Buy, and purchased a brand-new copy of Dead Space 2 for my PS3. I enjoyed the original game so much that I felt just fine laying down $60 for the sequel. The fact that it comes with a high-res version of Extraction (which I also enjoyed) didn't hurt.

I played to the beginning of the third chapter last night, with the lights off and my Dolby 5.1 system cranked up. So far so great. The graphics and art in the game are definitely a step up from the previous game. The character models are better, with much more convincing facial animations. In general everything looks sharper and more detailed. I've also noticed a bit more attention to detail in the environments. Even in the short two chapters I played through, the variety in the environments was much more diverse. There are the predictable grey corridors, but they mix it up with subtle touches of human occupation. It seems to me that this title is going to be even more linear than the first game. This will mean less freedom in exploration, but it will also mean less backtracking or recycled chapters. A bit of a toss-up in that regard, I always felt that the way in which the first game re-used its environments was actually quite clever.

If you can, definitely play this game with surround sound. The audio experience is just as good, if not better than the original. The ambient effects, noises, and voices you hear in the levels are incredibly unnerving. I can't wait to play more.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, playing it with 5.1 surround sound turbo charges the whole experience. I'm playing it with a headphone hooked up to a JVC SU-DH1 (basically a small device you connect between your cans and source and gives 5.1 sound)
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5.1 surround sound headphones + alone - light = scared shitless

i barely got 30 or 40 minutes into the game before putting it down for a nice little break
    it creeped me out right from the opening sequence.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    indian_boy wrote: »
    5.1 surround sound headphones + alone - light = scared shitless

i barely got 30 or 40 minutes into the game before putting it down for a nice little break

+1
    = a sign of a good game
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So does the PC version come with Extraction as well?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can any PC purchasers comment on the state of the controls in this one? Or has EA once again given the PC the shaft...

First one reminded me of Event Horizon.

Habboi, Vsync was off. :/
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea! love that movie! event horizon is a great movie! and it totally did remind me of it. I wanna play the second one... so far everything looks great.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really want to play with 5.1 surround sound, but I live in an apartment.
    Currently I am waiting on some stuff to arrive in the mail before I continue playing, so I can use my headphones (7.1 headphones, apparently? Sure.) although I assume some sound quality is lost through the adapters.
    I just wish the ps3 had a headphone jack built in.
    Or at least, my TV did.
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you have a console, its a must. i realy hope you get it ! since the first is great and 2nd is insanely good !
    on pc.. meh.
    not realy sure. I enjoy tv games more when it comes to these types. Its a singleplayer tailored game !
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    I really want to play with 5.1 surround sound, but I live in an apartment.
    Currently I am waiting on some stuff to arrive in the mail before I continue playing, so I can use my headphones (7.1 headphones, apparently? Sure.) although I assume some sound quality is lost through the adapters.
    I just wish the ps3 had a headphone jack built in.
    Or at least, my TV did.

Best 5.1 setup for headphones would be a really good pair of headphones combined with a dolby adapter, like the JVC SU-DH1 or Sony MDR-DS7000 (shit expensive). Using that combo you can hook up the PS3's toslink connection to the JVC's mini-toslink input and plug in your headphones from there. This is also pretty good for general music, cause the JVC has a built in amp (not great, but definitely better than non at all) that will provide juice for your cans.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity wrote: »
    Best 5.1 setup for headphones would be a really good pair of headphones combined with a dolby adapter, like the JVC SU-DH1 or Sony MDR-DS7000 (shit expensive). Using that combo you can hook up the PS3's toslink connection to the JVC's mini-toslink input and plug in your headphones from there. This is also pretty good for general music, cause the JVC has a built in amp (not great, but definitely better than non at all) that will provide juice for your cans.
    ,_,

I have some uh..
    nice headphones. Planatronics gametron?
    I have some adapter dealies coming in the mail. RCA ports, or some such thing?
    I don't really know. It's supposed to work. Audio cords to jack, and then a female/female adapter to plug the headphones into.
    Thats all I've got.
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    i am playing it also on 360. it's top notch. great sound...great set peices. a must own.

my only grip: the tank controls. why oh why can i not creep up around a corner in a horror game. that is what builds tension....and is what any person would do in a scary situation. but in this day and age....in dead space you push forward on the analog stick....and dude starts haulin' ass. i don't understand why they go with this control style.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game needs lean keys!
    Every game does.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Can any PC purchasers comment on the state of the controls in this one? Or has EA once again given the PC the shaft...

I'd also really like to know.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a huge fan of deadspace 1, it really was a gem. Even the somewhat clunky controls (on xbox) added to the game. Few games can touch the tension created with the soundscape of that game. Also, a freaky religion story? Awesome!

Deadspace 2, it only gets better, smoother controls that feel right.
    A world that has so much detail for those who take the time to look around. You can see they really wanted to make a world that makes sense and seems believable.

Enemies are just as twisted as always, the new ones only add to the fun :)

As for the sound, no game tops this. Such a rich soundscape, and yes, it freaks you out with 5.1.

I think a lot of love has gone into this game. Or atleast tons and tons of care.
    This game truly deserves all the raving reviews its getting. Hats off to the visceral guys!
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Can any PC purchasers comment on the state of the controls in this one?

No issues, works perfectly fine with a keyboard and mouse.

Visually, the game is much darker than the first one. The game does look nice but I preferred the look of DS1 where I could actually see where I was going...
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Game is awesome! Definitely playing with surround sound is a must since the audio design is excellent.
    Funny thing is the "scariest" make you jump sound cue yet that got me while playing was a sudden blast of an alarm clock going off in a crew cabin in a housing district where it was pitch black and I was using the flashlight on the plasma cutter to see around. I guess I'm just conditioned to hate that sound.
    The zero gravity controls are much more fun than the first in how you are able to maneuver around the environments using the subtle boosters on your rig. I think my weapon of choice is just using the reconditioned plasma cutter from the 1st game. You get access to it if you had a saved game file local for the 1st game. The zealot armor rig is a really cool design as well. It kinda reminds me of a tech version of Ryu's armor from Ninja Gaiden. The lighting is great as well. Love that your lights on your rig actually emit light into the environments, especially the dark ones.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Oxynary: I also bought Dead Space on the steam sale and had the same problems with the controls as you do. After some googling I tried forcing Vsync off and that usually fixes the problem appareantly... well not for me! So after some further googling I tried forcing Vsync on (again) and enabling triple buffering and that fixed the lazy mouse problem. The mouse is still a bit floaty in the main menu but it's ok ingame.
    And the downside with triple buffering is that you can't run use both graphic cards in a SLI or Crossfire system.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, the controls has improved, though you still need to spend the first 5 minutes to get used to the way your move around, like in the first one, but after that it works.
    Only thing I'm disappointed about is ....spoiler
    is the ending, at least they could have made something more about the part after the credits, then just a voice. Could have made credits more interesting by just pan slowly though some of the levels.

Ran smoothly on my computer, was worried that it wouldn't but no problems there. Never got around to use one of the new weapons, couldn't really see the use of a rifle with zoom, since most of the stuff always is in your face. Loved the detonator though, helped a lot with covering my back. My main weapons was still the plasma cutter, the line gun, pulse rifle, didn't bother to buy any of the others.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    YO TELEKINETIC!
    put a spoiler on that!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    even more innovative than the first. LOVE IT! first one was my favourite single player game ever. and the second is just getting better and better. start of the 6th chapter, playing on zealot. died alot. in the first, i didnt have issues with ammo on hard, but in this one, im finding ammo is harder to come by. definitely been a few times, ive had to rely on dead limbs or metal bars to impale guys (whcih is fun anyways. lol).

tough game on zealot though. love it
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Enjoyed it. The locations were each distinct which made it more interesting however it lost a lot of the scariness. Maybe it's the idea of a large spaceship with lots of tight corridors and vents combined with this chilling song that made Dead Space 1 so great but DS2 just had a lot of wide open areas and I never felt claustrophobic.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO_-NcEjW7g[/ame]

Overall though I wish they had included that song above. I also think they went overboard with the amount of NPC's near the end. Oh and needed more distinct bosses.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought my PC copy at walmart haha and so far the controls work perfectly. I play it with my 360 controller hooked up. Everything on high settings and with VSync turned on. I was nervous cuz the first one made me turn off vsync off cuz of lag on the camera movement.

beautiful game, i'm in chapter 8. almost done :)

let me know if that answers the control question on PC.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 wrote: »
    I bought my PC copy at walmart haha and so far the controls work perfectly. I play it with my 360 controller hooked up. Everything on high settings and with VSync turned on. I was nervous cuz the first one made me turn off vsync off cuz of lag on the camera movement.

beautiful game, i'm in chapter 8. almost done :)

let me know if that answers the control question on PC.

No, it was answered previously. My question is why you would want to use a xbox controller for a shooter game? Even third person. I tried with the first and it was nothing like the mouse with trying to aim. Even with the mouse controls being fugly in 1.

Edit:
    This is my favorite song in 1. The reverb is amazingly deep with good speakers.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t4SZE6HXX4&amp;feature=related[/ame]
  • 3DLam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLam polycounter lvl 14
    Your Mom hates this game apparently!!!

Damn I hate those adverts. I wonder if the dev team face palm everytime they see the great marketing idea...
  • nalwayv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've just started my second run though. Trying zealot before hardcore mode as I need more power nodes.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    how the hell are they doing the dismemberment ? its so damn sweet! :D
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    eeeekkkkk

just finally installed it after waiting a week
    - played it for 5 mins screeched like a girl at the sound of a pipe bursting...and quit
  • Ride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nalwayv wrote: »
    I've just started my second run though. Trying zealot before hardcore mode as I need more power nodes.

Say what!? I played on survivalist and had my ass handed to me on a regular basis. I eventually had to change the difficulty to normal in order to finish the game. God, I'm such a noob :(

Anyway, awesome game with shitloads of wows but the story quickly goes downhill and had me ignore it entirely by the end of the game.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started on Zealot. Will likely run through on an easier mode to get the nodes I need for hardcore, if/when I decide to murder myself by attempting it.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    wasker wrote: »
    Oxynary: So after some further googling I tried forcing Vsync on (again) and enabling triple buffering and that fixed the lazy mouse problem.

I've also been having this problem with DS1. But where do you enable triple buffering? Can't see it in the options anywhere.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Fomori: In your graphic card's control panel.

This is pretty much what my settings are except that triple buffering (second from bottom) is set to 'on' instead of 'off' as it is in this picture.

103736d1238527676-nvidia-control-panel-settings-slide1.jpg

I just finished the game. Pretty sweet game. Loved the atmosphere and sounds.
    I prefered the first half over the second, though.
    . Does anyone know if there will be any DLCs?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Gonna get it, but after dead rising 2. (If they release the DLC here I will get it).
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Beat it 3 times since i got it, last time on Zealot. Can't imagine doing it on Hardcore!
    Great game anyways and the controls are much better than the originals were on PC.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    In a nutshell, I was bored of dismembering necromorphs about 2 hours into Dead Space 1, and since Dead Space 2 was more of the same, it didn't really thrill me. It was a poor combination of "AH! THESE THINGS" + "AH! TV-FACE GIRLFRIEND DRAMA" + "AH! THESE THINGS BUT HARDER! AND BY HARDER I MEAN THEY USE UP MORE AMMUNITION!" The gameplay was definitely fun, but other than the zero-g stuff, it didn't raise the bar much from Dead Space 1. The story was pretty lackluster this time around too. I've lost count of how many times cult-x has dug up/created objects to end the world.

That said, I still really enjoyed playing this game. It was a fun experience that neither bored me nor frustrated me. Hell, I'd recommend it based on EYE NEEDLE alone.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    So there's DLC coming out sometime. I wasn't expecting it for some reason.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Cheers Wasker. Found it. Will try it.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ran through it on Zealot on the first play through. It was brutal!!! Still a great game though.

This is the only game I have actually let things kill me...Some of the death sequences make the game what it is. The Stalker death is so brutal, but the little tentacle head death sequence made me laugh out loud!!
    Habboi wrote: »

It is a continuation of the Dead Space Extraction game, not Isaac's story.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ6noeD8qKU&quot;] [/ame]
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Habboi wrote: »

Not for the PC version for some reason! :(
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant for some reason I just didn't expect them to make DLC for the game at all. Did Dead Space 1 even have DLC besides costumes?