Home General Discussion

Hooray, more art theft.

artstream
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
artstream polycounter lvl 11
So, if this is in bad taste, just let me know and close the thread. But at my alma mater's portfolio review, this student decided to use work from a pretty well known MMO as their own.

http://rebeccaprice.webs.com/pricedigitalartthief.htm

The name is pretty ironic in itself. They caught it, but I just wanted to let people be advised in case the proper channels aren't followed through with the school in letting people know that this happened.

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    we dont have to make an example of EVERYONE...
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    sure we do, it's a small community the more people know the more they know not to take shortcuts. It's awesome to see these fine folks with a bachelor's degree in Game Art & Design, ready to go out and get jobs.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Shortcuts, such as the "cutout filter" in the 2d Environments page of her site.

Price_backgroundenvironment01.jpg

Cutout filter does not stop our friendly neighborhood TinEye, which uses pattern recognition algorithms to find similar looking images.

84275894forest-jpg.jpg

More:

http://www.tineye.com/search/04d7f59da0e041333f4eeeec72bda12181f96e86/
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    Slum wrote: »
    Shortcuts, such as the "cutout filter" in the 2d Environments page of her site.
    Price_backgroundenvironment01.jpg

The cut out filter on the windows wallpaper :poly122:
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    "thread should be closed polycount is not a witchhunt community."

lol since when...

What exactly did she steal?

looks like AIP hasnt changed a bit...I wonder how many grand she is in the hole for that portfolio
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    low odor wrote: »
    What exactly did she steal?

Beyond the silly background image above, this is from Ragnarok Online, an MMO that came out like 10 years ago.

Price_thief.jpg

the real one:
    8f68920b38_37405834_o2.png
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sure we do, it's a small community the more people know the more they know not to take shortcuts. It's awesome to see these fine folks with a bachelor's degree in Game Art & Design, ready to go out and get jobs.

Yea, that's the main reason I posted that to show that not all people with a Bachelor's in Game Art have low scruples: there are other users on here that do awesome work and have made quite a name for themselves, with the same degree. It's just that the online version seems to be a bit more...lax.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I'm not seeing stolen stuff, maybe she took it down? All I'm seeing is a shoddy portfolio and obvious cutout PS filter usage. Sure that makes it an instant concept..0_o

But yeah, PC Witch-hunt's with the best of them, but usually when it's deserved, i.e. plagiarism, especially blatant plagiarism(and it involves our own members), we love that shit.

Ah, didn't realize that was the stolen material, didn't recognize it, wow.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Polycount isn't a witchhunt community. But I do believe we should punish those who steal art, and claim it as their own. This is a small industry, and thieves should be banished from the kingdom henceforth.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow this thread moved fast... not surprising.

The rest of her portfolio isn't shocking, there are AI's all over the place churning out these types of candidates... You throw up a lil in your mouth and move on.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "It's awesome to see these fine folks with a bachelor's degree in Game Art & Design, ready to go out and get jobs."

That portfolio will not get her a job...80k well spent ..that should be punishment enough lol
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    low odor wrote: »
    looks like AIP hasnt changed a bit...I wonder how many grand she is in the hole for that portfolio

Was it AIP? Or just an AI?

edit: NVM, "Online division". Completely different than AIP, the brick and mortar school.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thief.jpg

another pic...Slum the one you posted not showing up
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus wrote: »

edit: NVM, "Online division". Completely different than AIP, the brick and mortar school.

Yup. Online division degree does not equal the one you earn on ground.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Polycount isn't a witchhunt community. But I do believe we should punish those who steal art, and claim it as their own. This is a small industry, and thieves should be banished from the kingdom henceforth.
    There are two types, those that are unrepentant and burn any chance of ever working with anyone.

And those that see their mistake, take the stuff down, come to terms with where they are at and start working hard to get where they want to be. These types should be cautiously watched and encouraged to keep working legit.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus wrote: »

Greetings and salutations! My name is Rebecca Price. I am a graduate of the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, Online Division with a bachelor's degree in Game Art & Design.

is what she said on her about me thing..I wonder if the online is any cheaper

I dont know...my AIP degree was pretty worthless..the resume class was ok though
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Yeah, I saw that. I'm not sure the price difference in Online vs. Brick and Mortar. I actually think the classes are more expensive online...but you're not paying room and board and all that jazz. From everyone I've spoken to in the program, it's a joke. Which is a shame.

Personally, I'd like them to change the name from AIP: Online to AIO. Just make it Art Institute Online. No need to put "Pittsburgh" in there. ><
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think any real company was at risk of hiring this particular thief, but it's certainly good for a laugh. Just about any member of PC could put together a more compelling portfolio in a day or two.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Online has the extra lab fees, but the room and board add up FAST.

+1 to making it AIO. But Pittsburgh was the first one and it spawned from the Pittsburgh campus so...>.<
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've posted too much in this thread already...the real shame is that somehow she has a Bachelor's degree....this is just sad sad sad

Yeah Pitt is an awesome town..no need to associate it with ripping off suckers
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I spent a solid 2 years playing Ragnarok Online :( It's not even particularly fun now that I think back, damn MMOs and my addiction.

These frauds really should learn to use TinEye for all the images they decide to steal, just in case they are used in 100s of other sites like this kitten; http://www.tineye.com/search/0b7d5beac470d2df48ae4130b1d34d57c976c61e/
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Is that the sound of popping corn I hear?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    ffs, if you're gonna steal art atleast pick something decent
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dunno about this one... those fancy backgrounds and the difference of eye color make me think that her work is legit.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    This one's just boring, there's nothing interesting in that portfolio and it only shows they're in a fantasy world, not necessarily even trying to get real work with it.

Just read the resume..
    I could be wrong however. :x
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Hope she enjoys her 100K debt....
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    i hate art theft and all, but keep in mind guys that these are some peeps that are just coming out of school. while I never stole anything, I'll certainly admit to not quite understanding and appreciating the gravity of my actions and choices. as true just mentioned in the post above, she's got that 100k debt, and if she was stealing art, chances are her own stuff isn't too hot.

it was a shitty thing to do yeah, but you're more or less giving a 2 year'ish career death sentence, which is a lot of time for problems to pile up for someone. there's a reason you didn't get put in jail when you got caught stealing that Oh Henry from the convenience store. this person should certainly be punished in one way or another, but just as she may have not been aware of the weight of her actions, you guys should think about the weight of your actions as well.

mob justice is nothing to pride your community in.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I'm sure you guys all know who Randis is. Awesome artist,creator of HD fortress and Kitchen art forum

Anyhoo. He started a campaign against art theft. Thought I'd share.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=116235051725808&ref=mf
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Do other industries have this problem? I imagine being a chef people might steal ideas, recipes, etc. But in accounting or nursing is this an issue? It seems like in video game art this type of thing happens more than any of us realize.
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    Weren't these character designs by Lee Myung-jin?
    Like one of the best selling manwha authors of all time...
    I mean you can buy his work from TokyoPop in english

http://www.tokyopop.com/product/1046

Ragnarok Online also got made into an anime. O_o
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Uly wrote: »
    i hate art theft and all, but keep in mind guys that these are some peeps that are just coming out of school. while I never stole anything, I'll certainly admit to not quite understanding and appreciating the gravity of my actions and choices. as true just mentioned in the post above, she's got that 100k debt, and if she was stealing art, chances are her own stuff isn't too hot.

it was a shitty thing to do yeah, but you're more or less giving a 2 year'ish career death sentence, which is a lot of time for problems to pile up for someone. there's a reason you didn't get put in jail when you got caught stealing that Oh Henry from the convenience store. this person should certainly be punished in one way or another, but just as she may have not been aware of the weight of her actions, you guys should think about the weight of your actions as well.

mob justice is nothing to pride your community in.

There are plenty other careers to choose from were you to; with full awareness of your doings, use artwork that wasn't yours and get caught.

We're talking about adults here.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    eld: that's the thing. I dont know if you ever went to one of these schools, but the people that come out aren't always adults. It can be as early as a year and a half out of high school.

do what you will tho. it's just my misguided 2 cents.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    If you're old enough to take the education, you're old enough to know that using other peoples work and just calling it your own is wrong.

Honestly I think every single person who rats out a theif in the industry should be damn proud because:
    1. Hopefully the theif sees their mistakes and makes some serious changes.
    2. Might save a company from trouble.
    3. You keep the shit out and the talent in.

Oh well, I guess some of the blame is to put on how the school is run too. I don't imagine there are game art/design schools where the teachers are strict and they whip your art into excellence, where failure equals being kicked out.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    true, I'm not sure how long lasting our mob effect is though, if this artist shows up in the future with some awesome artwork to show off with, then that could outweigh the current outing of the art-theft.

Another thing that hit me though, I can't believe the school actually let that pass.
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    this person should certainly be punished in one way or another, but just as she may have not been aware of the weight of her actions, you guys should think about the weight of your actions as well.

Yeah gonna chip in on that and say as someone studying a BA(hons) in Computer Games Modelling and Animation that that entire "plagarism is bad" thing is drilled into your head from day one. It might not be the same everywhere, but i honestly can't wrap my head round someone thinking that doing that is acceptable in any way.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwlE1aASc4g[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc[/ame] (read the description got an A)
    Looking at her resume I think you can tell she got into this thinking it would be an easy fast-track to success sort of field. There are a lot of sources out there telling people it's easy to be a game dev. I'm sure the online college was doing the same... I mean hell she had almost a 4.0.

I'm guessing she graduated realized she had nothing, applied to some of the companies in the booming Texas game area, realized she was ill-prepared and this wasn't all it was cracked up to be in terms of ease and decided to try to cheat.

Only people in this field aren't idiots.

I almost feel sad for her. Like that stripper that got the game design degree with a crap portfolio and got good grades. Only all her work was legit.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno vcortis. Maybe i'm not as easily swayed by sales pitches, it's hard to feel too bad. Whenever going into anything that requires lots of money or time, I always google "X Sucks", "Is X worth it?" "X Problems/Issues" and see what people out there have to say.

But then again, it's how you use what you've got. If yoinking other peoples' art into your portfolio is what you've got, well...
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Uly; are you really equating a thread exposing someone's art theft is the same as going to jail?
    You said it yourself, art thieves need some kind of punishment to let them realize the weight of their actions. A thread on a forum like Polycount is exactly that.

People can step up and make a sincere apology and realize their mistakes and go on to become a better artist and a better person. 1 or 2 emails directed at the person can easily go unheard or won't have much impact, but a thread like this will certainly be enough motivation to make that change.

Of course people can also choose to ignore the "mob" and continue to steal. That is when the popcorn is appropriate since they obviously don't care about their reputation.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora wrote: »
    ...but a thread like this will certainly be enough motivation to make that change.

I somehow doubt that the individual in question even knows about or visits Polycount based on the lack of judgment on the art theft issue and also the quality of the work presented.

Just sayin...
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    I somehow doubt that the individual in question even knows about or visits Polycount based on the lack of judgment on the art theft issue and also the quality of the work presented.

Just sayin...

They do know because I've emailed every one of them when I see a thread like this to hopefully make them more aware.
    Most don't bother replying to me though, but at least I tried.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    eld: that's the thing. I dont know if you ever went to one of these schools, but the people that come out aren't always adults. It can be as early as a year and a half out of high school.

do what you will tho. it's just my misguided 2 cents.

people entering these schools are adults, they are 18. sure they might still be stupid and juvenile but they are adults never the less. they should know better. no fuck that, they do know better they just choose to ignore it and for that they dont deserve any leeway.

in America, at the start of every class from at least middle school through high school you have to go over a syllabus in class that goes over what will be taught that year, what you need to bring, how to work out sick days and the overall rules you must adhere too. plagiarism is ALWAYS listed and AlWAYS mentioned. even if you dropped out of high school at some point you still know stealing others work is WRONG. hell in high school I had 6 classes a semester and in each of those classes they all had to go over the syllabus.

shit I mean most of these people I believe were at the age to watch Aladdin growing up and they were about to cut off his hand after he stole that apple. kids these days know plagiarism and stealing is wrong and some choose to ignore it.

criminals don't get a free pass and people who steal art are criminals and should be treated like so.

in conclusion....BURN THE WITCH! BURN HER! I'm just kidding. But seriously I'm not.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Yozora:

That's very good of you. I hope they have learned from the experience and moved on to become better artists and people.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I went to AI Chicago. There was a guy who got caught plagiarizing multiple times. We did everything but throw rocks at him every time we saw him, mostly because the hallways were not littered with rocks. He got kicked out about 2/3rds of the way through the program after having spent tens of thousands of dollars. I remember my Senior II teacher threatening to have us not graduate if we didn't show up to our portfolio show promptly at 6 AM. Surely there can be some sort of "yes we said you're graduating but then we found out you're a big fat thief and not even a clever one....soooo..." clause somewhere in all that paperwork she signed.
  • kouotsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I am close go graduating from AI Pittsburgh, and I attended this girl's show yesterday. My roommate is the person who reported her work to the director of our major, as he is very familiar with Ragnarok Online's concept art etc. It is pretty despicable that she did this, but I think the saddest part of it to me is the fact that her mother/grandmother was standing next to her during the show. Her heart was probably broken sometime today when she was (probably) told her degree was forfeited. I can't imagine letting down my family like that. I just hope that old woman doesn't have to pay back any loans for her kid's irresponsibility.

I guess AI Online courses are just that lax. I know people on campus who work extremely hard and still fail Pre-portfolio class. This girl should not have made it this far -- there's no excuse for ignoring the obvious inconsistency in her work. Especially with tools like TinEye as someone else has mentioned here. Artists who like to draw manga-style have a bad enough reputation as it is. Come on!

On a side note, nice to meet you Polycount! I registered a while back but have been busy with freelance work. I graduate in two quarters so I'm looking forward to joining the challenges here and stuff so I can push my 3D skills as far as I can by then. Weird time to introduce myself, but oh well!
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    haha, that's bad.
    I was a huge noob back in high school, I somehow landed an internship at a cg visualization place and was told I could get paid to do this type of stuff. I immediately dropped my engineering prep classes and searched for a school that would let me in asap. I ended up at Westwood college :'( I dropped out only after they took a few thousand K...
    Most searches about whether or not Westwood was worth it ended up rather dry.

Long story short, too many people get fucked over by these type of classes, I guess they feel good and accomplished at what they have done, but as soon as they see some art like what gets pumped through polycount, they get... nervous, I guess. Nervous that the 80k they are in debt to now hasn't and will not ever help them get a job, so they try to get ahead in any way possible.

Not saying what she did was acceptable, but, I can kind of feel where these people are coming from. Just look at her resume, 6 years of fast food managerial experience...
    I'd start to get worried at that point too..

(btw, I have never nor will I ever steal art, just saying :))
    Edit:
    and yozora: that is awesome of you to do that. Otherwise threads like these would be pointless.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon wrote: »
    in conclusion....BURN THE WITCH! BURN HER! I'm just kidding. But seriously I'm not.

When you burn the witch you get her possessions, thus making you the witch because she stole thole possessions.

The cycle continues.

What she did isn't right, I rather post art that looks like shit... It just feels better when you try hard and get better, then you can show off in pride.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I just want to add.

Lets not forget that some people have learning difficulties or other such problems. Its not an excuse and they need to be taught that its wrong. Just thought i'd mention it.

BTW: I don't think its the case with this particular art thief. But it might be in others.