Home General Discussion

Hooray, more art theft.

Replies

• Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    yoz: i agree with you dude, you already know that, all I'm saying is show discretion.
    also, the jail thing is just an analogy to get a point across, you've gotta take these things with a grain of salt.

autocon: they should know better, and they probably do, yeah. we all do, but we don't always do the right thing. context is important. what this person did was fucked up, they don't deserve a free pass. Remember though, you on the other hand, are potentially leading someone's financial future into an extremely fucked up area. Life long debt.

They don't deserve work with what they did, no. If you have every reason to believe they are a malicious nether-being from planet Farnax, and not some kid who got scared by the idea of failing, and wasting the 100 thousand dollars in student loans or that their parents put out for them in order to attend (pretty fucking scary) then light that fire. People do irrational things sometimes against their better judgement. You do not know the whole story behind this. I'm not going to try and tell you what to do, cause that's your decision. All I'm saying is to learn a bit more before you go stabbin in the dark with that pitchfork.

also, before you guys reply to me again, remember that I think it's bad too. : ) long story short, don't be a dick yourself!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    `this feels a bit like bullying the village idiot..
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Seriously, this is anecdotic.
    Is Polycount going to chase every student/ young graduated who use the cutout filter ? This girl won't take your place at Blizzard :poly131:
    The only ppl who could complain are those who made the art originaly, and i'm sure they have better things to do.
    It reminds me the CA administrator who exposed details about ppl who have shared the Massive Black tut so everyone could pee on them. I feel very uncomfortable with the witch hunts.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    oh wow, i love her style.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    Is Polycount going to chase every student/ young graduated who use the cutout filter ? This girl won't take your place at Blizzard :poly131:
    The only ppl who could complain are those who made the art originaly, and i'm sure they have better things to do.
    It reminds me the CA administrator who exposed details about ppl who have shared the Black Massive tut so everyone could pee on them. I feel very uncomfortable with the witch hunts.
    I agree, everyone should be careful with what they post online... even members of angry mobs piling up the kindling...

To the mob: You make a better name for yourself by posting kick ass art then you do stirring up trouble for other people. That's not to say we shouldn't expose this kind of stuff but it seems like this was brought to light just so like someone said "pick on the slow kid".

Everyone gets a chuckle out of cat gif threads but they're like Christmas or your birthday, if it happened every day or even every month, it takes the punch right out of it. The same goes for art theft threads, if you post every sorry looking portfolio from someone who went to AIx and try to burn them, when a real case that needs the community to mobilize comes along, it will be met with apathy and eye rolls.

So yea a little less righteous indignation and a little more humble artists with their nose to the grind stone. There's a reason Adam moved Pimpin & Previews to the top of the forum.

In case you haven't guessed, I'm playing the age old polycount game of seize the moral high ground, its like king of the hill. It's your turn and... go...
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Noors wrote: »
    It reminds me the CA administrator who exposed details about ppl who have shared the Massive Black tut so everyone could pee on them. I feel very uncomfortable with the witch hunts.

I tend to agree with you here, now that you mention it.

However, I do believe that we should point out art thieves at the very least. Make people blatantly aware of it.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Pick on the slow kid? This isn't right?

I find this extremely fascinating. What goes through these people's minds when they use other people's work? It's so obvious that they'll get found out once they are asked to create work to the same quality and can't.

Also what's with the URL? The homepage is "pricedigitalartthief". Is this a joke site?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    what vig means is , work more on art instead of trying to linch someone.
  • JustinPunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly wrote: »
    They don't deserve work with what they did, no. If you have every reason to believe they are a malicious nether-being from planet Farnax, and not some kid who got scared by the idea of failing, and wasting the 100 thousand dollars in student loans or that their parents put out for them in order to attend (pretty fucking scary) then light that fire. People do irrational things sometimes against their better judgement. You do not know the whole story behind this. I'm not going to try and tell you what to do, cause that's your decision. All I'm saying is to learn a bit more before you go stabbin in the dark with that pitchfork.

also, before you guys reply to me again, remember that I think it's bad too. : ) long story short, don't be a dick yourself!

Uly you make a lot of sense here, we don't know the rationalization behind her stealing, but regardess it's still stealing right? Whatever her story/excuses behind her actions I highly doubt it would clear the crime here. Seriously I think this is criminal in my eye.

All I can add is, imagine if she got a job with this portfolio, worse, imagine if she got away with it? We need sensible deterrants 'cause I keep seeing this happen all the time.

But not mob justice, level heads everyone! :D
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Habboi wrote: »
    Also what's with the URL? The homepage is "pricedigitalartthief". Is this a joke site?

digital art theif is the name of the page with the Thief that was 'created' digitally, by Price.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pick on the slow kid? This isn't right?
    Yea what Johny said. It's obvious to just about everyone even people outside the industry that her portfolio is Colin's bear. She has no shot of landing a job even with the art she's stolen. Personally my view on this is to call in the lynch mob after you've privately confronted the thief and they've admittedly denied steeling it and show no signs of reversing their course.

This thread seems to have put the cart before the horse?
    Looks like crappy site design that lead to hilarious naming.
    Price, her name.
    Digital Art, because it isn't 3D and the D in 2D must mean digital?
    Thief, because its... a picture of a... wait for it... wait for it...
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Yea what Johny said. It's obvious to just about everyone even people outside the industry that her portfolio is Colin's bear. She has no shot of landing a job even with the art she's stolen. Personally my view on this is to call in the lynch mob after you've privately confronted the thief and they've admittedly denied steeling it and show no signs of reversing their course.

This thread seems to have put the cart before the horse?

Looks like crappy site design.
    Price, her name.
    Digital Art, because it isn't 3D and the D in 2D must mean digital?
    Thief, because its... a picture of a... wait for it... wait for it...

You're right Mark. In hindsight, the thread was probably a bit ill-timed. As I said, I saw it at my school's portfolio review and it was a knee-jerk reaction out of anger that the school let it get that far. By no means does that justify what she did, but I should have done what you mentioned first: email the perp, see their reaction, then proceed accordingly.

Like I said in my first post, if this is in poor taste, it should be closed by an admin. Yozora said he emailed her (+1 to you, I should have done that first), so if nothing changes, then something like this might need to re-surface.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe the person did think "at the worst they'll give me a slap on the wrist, so I think the pro's outweight the con's"

Humiliating the portfolio, the valid art and getting personal is not a good idea, and is the ultimate results of the mob-factor.

But outing the person's stolen art as being stolen should be perfectly valid and can provide a bit of an example.
    People often do these things because they believe the negative scenario doesn't even exist, that no one will care or notice.

I've seen enough light slaps on wrists to know that it'll just keep happening again with other persons.

The individuals future depends entirely on if the person builds up his/hers reputation with good honest art or if he/she just gives up entirely, the outing will not ruin any career, it'll just server as a reminder that you will be brought into the spotlight if you do these things.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    lol lmfao lmao rofl
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    It could have been from her "Photoshop" class here is how you extract an image from a background and use a filter to create a new background layer.. etc.. who knows it should have not made it into the portfolio in the manner it did though.
  • penrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penrod polycounter lvl 14
    I was inspired by rebecca to create some of my own original art. I was heavily influenced by WoW when creating this piece, other than that it's 100% my own personal work.

obob.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It could have been from her "Photoshop" class here is how you extract an image from a background and use a filter to create a new background layer.. etc.. who knows it should have not made it into the portfolio in the manner it did though.
    Wow... people pay 100k to learn that crap? I'm sOooooOOoo in the wrong line of work. =P
  • The Boss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really plagiarizing for a portfolio is mostly inconsequential. At best they never get a job with it because everything else is lacking (most likely scenario). At worst they get a job and promptly get fired 2 weeks later when the employers realize they can't do any of it.

If someone can get a job based on other peoples work, good for you. Now good luck keeping it because they will expect you to be able to do that quality of work from the word go.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Wow... people pay 100k to learn that crap? I'm sOooooOOoo in the wrong line of work. =P

Truly, being a fraudster at the educational level seems to be the best ever job right now.

"So the plan is, we open a school..."

george-clooney-urgences.jpg

"...where you make games..."

GeorgeClooneyLaughing.jpg

Oceans level 2
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    The Boss wrote: »
    At best they never get a job with it because everything else is lacking (most likely scenario). At worst they get a job and promptly get fired 2 weeks later when the employers realize they can't do any of it.

This
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18

Unfortunately yes, they do usually they'll get weeded out during the 4 years but when I was in school they were teaching Photoshop basics class like that where you had to remove a car from the grass and put grass back in it's place like the car wasn't there none of this is portfolio material.
  • kouotsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right Mark. In hindsight, the thread was probably a bit ill-timed. As I said, I saw it at my school's portfolio review and it was a knee-jerk reaction out of anger that the school let it get that far. By no means does that justify what she did, but I should have done what you mentioned first: email the perp, see their reaction, then proceed accordingly.

Like I said in my first post, if this is in poor taste, it should be closed by an admin. Yozora said he emailed her (+1 to you, I should have done that first), so if nothing changes, then something like this might need to re-surface.

I completely understand why you posted it. And besides, it's not like you said "let's all gang up on this chick" so I don't think it should necessarily be labeled as a mobbing post just because you're pointing out an art thief.

There really is no reason to go easy on her, in my opinion. Sure, what she's doing is mostly going to hurt herself. But she is also disgracing her family that most likely helped her through it financially, as well as the fellow graduates. I paid out the ass for this joke of a degree -- at least don't make me stand next to people like this when I show my work to the world. I don't think it's so much to ask that these people get weeded out before they're grouped in with me at graduation. It's not like I'm going to be mad at someone if they're at graduation and their art is poor quality, but a portfolio full of stolen art is going to make everyone look bad. Don't tell me there's no employers out there who won't think this school is (more of) a joke when they hear about this. (triple negative...!)

I understand everyone is human and she has some reason for doing this, but I can't excuse being so ignorant of the consequences something like this can have towards not only herself, but everyone around her as well. But the school is just as much to blame for letting her get to that point.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    thread need closing and OP needs to get his hand slapped

Fuck that.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the "getting called out on the internet for stealing someone else's work and claiming it as your own".

Also, why in the hell would we punish a member for doing what many others on this message board have done in the past, making others aware of art theft in the community.
  • bleugypsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, when things like this occur, it's important to the community to let others know. However, it's difficult to control it from becoming a witch hunt...for the student and/or the school.

Plus we should keep in mind, maybe the incident is under investigation--and instead of posting here---did the person who caught it--report it to the department at the Portfolio Review itself?

Then one also has to wonder.....this is such blatant misuse of material,
    perhaps it was done on purpose?

Strange, too I have to admit. The review started at noon and this thread was started at 1:30pm on the same day as the review. Posting so quickly, makes one wonder about the intent here as well.

Just goes to show, question all sides before passing judgments and pointing fingers. What may seem one way, may very well not be that at all.

Yoda has spoken.