Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Search and Rescue helicopter: Ka-27PS "Helix"

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PatJS polycounter lvl 9
Update:
ka27textured3.jpg
--- v v v original post v v v ---

I decided to make another helicopter after my Ka-50, and it ended up being another Kamov design! This one is a Ka-27 "Helix". It's standard variant is somewhat close in function to the US Navy's P3 Orion, but the version I'm making is designed for maritime search and rescue purposes. To that end, there is a winch on the left side rear door. For those interested, the Ka-27 was designed to replace the similar Ka-25 "Hormone", and has another variant with a different canopy and hardpoints for weaponry called the Ka-31. I'm going for an old, weathered look, with this paint job: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kamov_Ka-27PS.JPEG

It turns out that it's used by a whole bunch of non-ex-soviet countries as well, so I might end up making heliswiss and korean fire fighting paint jobs as well.

Anyways, here's the high poly model:
ka27hipolycollage.jpg

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome detail!
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    amazing job! cant wait to see it finished!
  • AdamB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice modeling!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Yes! cool, following this!
    Btw you're fast with creating this, how long did the HP take you ?
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys!

Xoliul, it took me a little less than a week. Is that fast? I honestly have no idea how long it takes people to make stuff because I've never met another 3d modeler.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    about right imo........roughly the same as me anyway

Looking great man, tho beware of filling up the portfolio with similar stuff :D
  • Mind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind triangle
    One week seems to me correct, it also depends on the number of hours per day , anyway very good work and nice details.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Good to know guys, thanks.

Drav: you're right about variety; I don't want to get pigeon-holed before I'm even out of the gate. That Ka-50 was my first finished vehicle, so I want to take what I learned from that project and try to really hit it out of the park with this new one.

Eventually I plan on going back to everything older in my portfolio and redoing the textures and whatnot based on what I've learned here to keep stuff consistent in quality before I start applying to studios.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Well this took a while due to some distractions, but I've finished the low poly model, with the exception of the canopy glass. I decided to go whole hog and model the interior of the rear. I've split it into three sections so that I can tile the texture, which will allow me to keep the very dense details of the inside without taking up too much UV space for an otherwise not often seen part of the helicopter.

ka27lopolywires1.jpg
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    cool, love the rotary set up, want to see how it bakes down ;]
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Bake and unwrap:
    ka27mapbake.jpg

texbakes.jpg
    The ambient occlusion is all little detail stuff; I haven't done any of the non-exploded baking yet. The texture size is 2048x2048. The big ol' gap in the bottom right is where the tiling interior textures are mapped to, but there's nothing there since I haven't made high poly geometry for the interior yet.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I need to do a little bit of fixing in two places, but it's come out pretty well.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great, superb normalmap bake. What did you bake with, Xnormal?
    And for non-exploded baking, give FAOgen a try ;)
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks! I used Topogun.

Also, holy crap FAOgen is fast. I mean, Topogun's hardware accelerated AO is pretty fast too, but this is great! The only problem I can see is that it the AO gets multiplied over existing data when it calculates objects which share UV space. It looks like I might be able to generate images on a per object basis though, so I suppose I could through the duplicates in one object and the stuff I want baked in another. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: it looks like it doesn't play nice with geometry discontinuity; my seams look kind of crap. Those guys will need some welding.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the speed is amazing, a 4k texture with no noise whatsoever takes about a minute ;)
    I think it just uses the draw order of UV islands. So you could just offset their coordinates outside of the 0-1 range.
    What seams do you mean, smooth group splits or UV seams ? I haven't really noticed a problem there.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Smooth group splits. I split the mesh along UV seams, since UV seams already break the mesh up. It's actually probably a bad habit, but I physically split the meshes up (disconnect component in XSI parlance), since my old-ass version of XSI (4.2) has a normal baker that doesn't comprehend hard edges. I'm sure it would be better to use hard edges now that I'm using stuff like Topogun which understands that stuff.
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    nice bake and awesome detail man! love it
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Got dem rivets, as well as panels and other surface details. Those largish very dark rounded empty squares are where windows will go.
    ka27loporivets.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you use nDo for the 2d normalmapped stuff ? Did that also get unbearably heavy on a 2k texture for you ?
    Looks sweet man, you should think about taking it a bit further than just Marmoset, like rigging for UDK or something :)
  • polozad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polozad polycounter lvl 9
    I have a plastic model of Ka27 - it stands right in front of me. And they are the simular:)
    Very good job. Wish I could make something like this.
    Those coaxial propellers were a kind of pain, aren't they?
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    Damn, that's some badass detailing! Looking forward to see it fully textured, you've got an awesome base to work from now!
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Xoliul: I mostly used the nvidia plugins, since I'm most familiar with them. I tried nDo for the seams, and I wasn't really getting results that were that different; they were just more controllable. It was definitely pretty slow to transition in and out of nDo with a 2048. I need to spend more time with nDo though, it's a pretty slick tool.

polozad: the rotors were kind of a pain, but I've already made rotors of the same type (though less mechanically intensive) with my last helicopter so I knew what pitfalls to avoid. A lot of the difficulty is in figuring out what part links to what other part how; it definitely helps to know how a helicopter works. Frankly, now that I'm comfortable with complicated rotors, I think that any non-kamov helicopter is going to be a huge bore in the rotor department.

The biggest advice I could give is to make stuff like linkages and control rods with cylinders that have the number of sides you would use on the retopologized model, or multiples thereof. My control rods were 8-sided in the hipoly so that I could just remove edges and get a 4 sided cylinder; some of the connecting linkages were made with 6-sided cylinders which required nothing more than cleaning up the supporting edges. By doing this, you avoid needing to keep track of rotations and positions when doing retopo.

Lonewolf, PhilipK: Thanks!

While I was working on the paneling, I had a huge problem with the seams, and I ended up doing a very work intensive solution that I don't want to have to do again, so I would like to hear what you guys think.

My normal process for doing anything with nvidia's photoshop plugin is to mask the resulting normal map with the unfiltered base, since the plugin creates a border that extends beyond the original surface area of the height map. This works really well for many details, but it doesn't work very well with things that have a 2px "valley" shape, such as the seams and panels. I end up losing detail on all of the horizontal and vertical lines because my original line becomes the flat color on the normal, and the slopes of the valley are on either side. Since This only happened in like 15 places on this guy due to the low number seams, I just fixed it by hand after spending half an hour playing around with nDo and nvidia's plugin. However, should I do anything more complicated, that solution is no good. Anybody have any advice?
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Damn!

Damn!

I gotta give nDo a go.
    Hey you still have some space in the texture to get some stuff in, maybe some more interior details? :)
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    you are legit.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    INNNNNNNSAAAAAANE!
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys!

Actually, thewinterlord, that blank space is going to be used for exactly that! I haven't baked the interior yet, but the UVs are laid out and just waiting for me to get to them!
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn. Hard surface WIN!

What programs are you using?
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobertHammer polycounter lvl 10
    mate really cool - i love it :)

btw if you do next Mi24 Super Hind - you will be my big hero :D
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Barnstable: I'm using XSI for the modeling and some retopo and Topogun for the rest of the retopo and for the baking.

RobertHammer: I've considered doing that helicopter in the past (especially with googly eyes and shark mouth paint job), it's pretty sweet but I want to have a more diverse portfolio so I'm going to be making an original concept next. Besides, I thought I was already your hero for putting a cockpit in my Ka-50 :D
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobertHammer polycounter lvl 10
    PatJS- Pls no another basic Mi24 - those are everywhere ,but noone wants Super Hind?
    1117989.jpg
    It is alot more modern and more angry look
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    It's not that I don't want to make a super hind; I just have another completely different thing I want to make after this guy.

I've finished with the colors for this thing. I'm just using the AO for specular in these images, and I haven't applied any dirt or material variation.

ka27colors.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking ace, can't wait to see what else you crank out =)
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    PatJS wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

Actually, thewinterlord, that blank space is going to be used for exactly that! I haven't baked the interior yet, but the UVs are laid out and just waiting for me to get to them!

Good job! :thumbup:
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Here is the dirtied up, used, abused helicopter! I feel pretty good about it, but I'm more than open to criticism, so if you see something you don't like, let me know!

ka27textured1.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    daaaang! looking very cool!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, don't forget to wind sweep some of that dirt, not too much it is a rescue craft after all, they don't see that much action. Some sun fading could be nice, maybe just effect the clear coat/spec map? Looking awesome, really top notch work!
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Ooh, good call on the sun bleaching. You're right about the blown back dirt, too. I'll get on that!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd take it a bit further, add some color variance in that dirt, make sure it comes through in the spec more and add some dirt to the glass as well.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    I added quite a bit of brownish dirt, recolored some of what was there, and added bleaching and whatnot. I think the dirt looks deeper than it did, which is good. One problem I am having is the glass: areas which are dark on the spec sometimes light up anyways, and I'm not sure why.

EDIT: I figured it out, and I've since dirtied up the windows, too.

ka27textured3.jpg
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Here's some more stuff:
    ka27textureflats.jpg
    ka27finalwireframe.jpg
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    wow, lovely model and super tight texture/uv layout. I hate you:)
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    damn dude, your a machine. good job, as usual.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
  • polygoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    wanna ride that!
  • AdamB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work dude! im loving the textures.
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So damn awesome! Great job!
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    Mr PatJS is indeed very rare breed.. :) ( I mean GREAT work )
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work!

How did you do the dripping grime stains?
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks everyone!

Contrails: Very slowly! I have a scratches brush that looks like a square with one of it's corners partially erased, and a very high rotation jitter, as well as a size controlled by pen pressure. I know I didn't come up with that idea; I think it's from someone on this forum. Anyways, I draw with a low opacity (10-20%) and a single pixel size so that I get decent, grainy streaks, and I also smudge and erase with the same brush at about 5 pixels in size. I don't smudge the streaks like you would normally use the smudge brush; the smudge tool with the scratches brush acts like a diffuser, spreading out and obliterating the grime. I basically just draw stains, smudge (diffuse) and erase stuff, over and over in the same spot until I'm happy with it. I'm guessing it takes probably 10-20 passes for a single small area. Honestly though I still need to go back and do some more because I never add enough grunge, for fear of adding too much.

here's an image of what I'm talking about, with full size bits of my diffuse:
    grimeexplain.jpg
    You can see how the smudge tool w/ 5 pixel scratches brush and 100% strength sort of just spreads the grime out in place without dragging it anywhere. I just sort of draw the spreading out effect on.