Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mutant Nurse

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Revel interpolator
Hi guys, I wanted to show a concept of my new weapon; a Syringe Rifle with a Cyclops Scope and its related directly with the character who holds the weapon.

concept.jpg

She's a mutant nurse with a giant Syringe Rifle and a Scope which has a single eye (instead of lens, well...not too sure about the eye leashes on the scope though..it looks funny lol) that connected to the character's head. So the purpose of it is literally for looking by the character since she don't have any eyes.

The function of the rifle is not using a bullets, but a blood. It will suck the blood of the enemy and shoot it back in a hard needle form. Holding it the same way of an ordinary syringe. I keep it like that because I want it can be operable with 1 handed, otherwise it will spoil the "syringe"-ness (if that make any sense to you lol :poly132:)

Not too sure about her clothes though.
What do you guys think?..C&C always welcome!

_Revel

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Well it sure is unique. But why would you need such an oversized scope for? It would have to be either:

1. Extremely accurate at longer ranges
    2. It would need to be in a darker atmosphere so that the large lens size is actually useful.
    3. Also seems impractical that the scope is nearly bigger than the weapon itself. I just seems unwieldly.

To me, it looks more like a close combat weapon that you'd need to poke someone with. Therefore, the scope is... well kinda useless. If you want it to be held with one hand... it looks too heavy to do so.

The idea is pretty cool though. But perhaps it will need redesigning. This is all just IMO though!

Keep up the hard work! :)
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Heheh..don't worry, it's still on the early stage. It sure gonna have some changes in later stage. About the scope size, it is an oversiezed indeed and I make it like that so that it serve it purpose as the main visual input for the character in combat clearly (kinda fisheye lens). I will reconsider that! and probably the scope what make the weapon looks too heavy for a 1 handed weapon, hrmm :poly132:

Well yea, it's kinda hard for me to decide whether it's going a long range weapon or close combat weapon. Actually I got another version of the weapon with a commonly sniper rifle's handle complete with the trigger, but then I think it looks like any other sniper rifle's "sister" version, so i took the handle out and just leave the syringe shape.

Anyway, thanks man~! I'll work on it :)

_Revel
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Update on my syringe rifle.

wipd.jpg

It end up with 1688 poly counts, I'm quite happy for it so far.

Reduce the size of the scope a bit and I put some kind of "organic" thingy inside the scope beside the eye.
    What do you guys think about the scope mount and railings?..does it looks "out of place"? :poly132:

_Revel
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    I'd say the scope needs a much simpler attachment. Maybe a bad looking weld. Just my two cents
  • ApolloX88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ApolloX88 polycounter lvl 6
    Utilize the nurse concept on the weapon even more. Medical tape/Gauze could be used to attach the scope. Wedge some tongue depressors in there.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    DOG-GY wrote: »
    I'd say the scope needs a much simpler attachment. Maybe a bad looking weld. Just my two cents

I agree, the rail makes it seem like its an manufactured weapon or she could throw a flashlight on it. Seems like it would be more crudely put together.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Thanks you guys for the ideas and thoughts!..to be honest I also don't like the look of the previous scope and its railings, seems like a totally different art direction then the rest of the weapon. So here is the update on the scope which I change to be a microscope shape together with it's 3 lenses (depends on the need; long range, low light, thermal sensor).

wipvn.jpg

Beside change of the scope, I also added a safety switch near the handle. I don't know but do you guys think it's a good thing to add an eye inside the scope like the previous one? I might not add it in anymore, but still I'd love to hear other thought about that concept and who knows it can change my mind hehh :)

_Revel
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    since the optical nerve still seems to be connected to the Syringe
    i would like to see how you plan her face,
    i mean did she have eyes once, are they cutten out -> wound or emty eyehull
    or is there skin (but then where comes the optical nerve from)
    and where is the cable connected to her head?
    and is there a billiard ball sewed into one eye of her ? (for example the black 8)

and because there is no such a huge syrge i would add a bit of this
    luftpumpe.jpg
    the pressure gauge for example could give some extra bling bling
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    I may be alone here, but I actually really liked the oversized eye scope, even if the original seemed a bit overly professional/military. I'm mainly just thinking it'd be creepy as balls to see this ostendibly blind nurse-mutant coming at me in the dark with this big honking eye searching me out. :p
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Another update for today~
    For now I want to show the full body character sketch. Here goes..

mutantnurse02.jpg

I'm gonna based on the second design (middle) to develop it further. It has more of a nurse uniform compare to the first one. Also the stitched eyes looks more intimidating.. :poly142:

@arrangemonk
    Hi dude, there I draw the design of the face and nope she doesn't have any 8 ball in her eye socket, but that could be a cool character though! You should develop it! :)

At first she's just a normal person but then both of her eye were cut off of her head and the scar is stitch horizontally across the face from eye to eye. And the optical nerve is coming from the small opening there.

The pressure gauge on a rifle, if I'm not mistaken its on one of the sniper rifle design for TF2, don't know an official or fans created. Some more my design is not based on wind pressure but more of a squeeze the handle with the thumb until "click" to shoot, just like normal sniper rifle's trigger. But thanks btw.

@LoTekK
    Lol, that's what I actually visualize in my head, a giant eye poping out of a rifle scope from a blind nurse. But then, like I said it's a totally different art direction and feels kinda out of place.

_Revel
  • tex_cookiedough
    that microscope is win :D

pretty badass looking concepts, will be following this thread :D
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great concept and I love the syringe grip on the weapon.

I like the microscope idea, but I think I'm more in agreement with LoTekk in thinking the extra large scope with an eye embedded could be a creepier end product.
  • Torrrtilla
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Well looks like some of you guys like the eye poping idea from the scope, then I think what a waste to ditch the concept just like that. So here I integrate the eye into the microscope and thank god I just need to increase the scope size a little bit only.

wips.jpg

*The eye ball at the correct size 25mm in diameter.

To think of it again, I guess if I didn't put the eye into the scope, people will never understand the mechanism of she actually "see" using the scope literally (and might wonder what's the cable doing from the scope into her eyes..)

@tex_cookiedough + Torrrtilla
    Thanks dude, glad you like it and following this thread :)
    I'll try to update as frequent as possible.

@Barnstable
    Why not combine both?..so here it the microscope + eye..not looking too manufactured and not so much different art direction change going on there. Hope it looks better!

_Revel
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like.

I could see one of those scopes being a laser sight, and having the scope switch between normal eye, and the laser sight depending on if the Nurse is in the light, or the dark.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @Barnstable
    Thanks again dude! :)
    Yea the one with eye is the normal vision, the one with big plate at the end is a night vision (it'll be the place of the IR light, gonna have glowing red light there..lol), and the long one is a thermal vision.

But after I put it side by side with the nurse the weapon looks damn small, probably in the next post I'm gonna change the proportion of the syringe rifle a bit.

Anyway, here is the nurse wip~

wip01.jpg

Face close up~

wip02.jpg

You might be noticing the nose area is kinda out of proportion, well I purposely did that since the eyes area was stitched out, then I wanna make the skin in her face stretch inward in that eyes area.

Not too sure about the poly distribution and poly flow especially in the face.
    Comment & critics please?

_Revel
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Another quick update!..I've already fix the scale relation between the nurse and her syringe rifle, and also fix some of the nurse's proportion and her dress..

wipx.jpg

Like always C&C are always welcome. Thanks :)

_Revel
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demilich polycounter lvl 8
    Wow! great concept.
    You could relax the hand a bit on the low poly. In other words, follow the gesture of a relaxed arm.
  • krimzondestiny
    nice...i like it alot...the thing you should really consider is how exactly does the syringe interact with her...is it connected through her forearm and head or is it a completely separate entity. you should really check out O.S. Mephistoe E from Shaman King.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @demilich
    Thanks man. About the hand position why I'm doing like that is because of the most relaxed pose that i think of, a 45' angle which is not giving any tension to the shoulder area and also not too pinched in the armpit area.

Here is just another small update, adding a badge and a "normal" syringe props to her.

wipo.jpg

Guess she's ready for the texturing process.

_Revel
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I think your polygon distribution is a bit odd. The rings on the syringes are round at this size, but I can clearly see the edges on the face, shoulders and breasts. I think you've got about as much polygons in the weapon as you've got in the character? That's bad distribution, because she's much larger and just the face will probably get as much attention from the viewers as the entire weapon.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hrm..I see your point there Zwebbie, why I never thought of that lol..thanks for reminding me that point!
    I check the model and yes, the character has only around 500 polys more than the weapon, guess I pay attention to the low poly count too much then. Will update her first and care about the texture later.

_Revel
  • clayton_barton
    Hey Revel, nice character concept. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result!

You've managed to keep a nice low poly count on the model so I would first like to commend you on that, all you need now is to work on your polygon distribution. Just a quick tip, always try to keep your polygons square, and similar to their neighboring polygons. It looks neater, helps with mesh deformation, and makes it easier to UV map.

Keep up the good work.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    This is fun!..comments from you guys are really helping me out making this better :)
    Another update~

wip02o.jpg

What do you think of it now?..Anything still looks weird/ wrong in terms of technical stuff?..Thanks in advance.

PS:
    In this update, I turn on the hardware shading in Max viewport setting, and make the shading less "block-ish"..

_Revel
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    You are not going to Sculpt this dont you?
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Probably I will sculpt it later after unwrap it in Max. So that I can generate a normal map from ZBrush for a bigger detail like clothing folds etc. and add another small detail in Photoshop using nVidia plug-in to generate another pass of the normal map. Is there any problem with my current mesh for sculpting?

_Revel
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Decided to tidy up her hair. Since the beginning of the modeling process I know something wrong with her hair but couldn't find what is that, then after doing some more google research about mutant/ zombie/ that kind of creature I realize most of them, if not all, was using a messy "hairstyle" and I guess that's what make my model looks so generic on the hair (for the mutant character type). So here it is, her new hair style~

wipri.jpg

Hope it turns out better~

@Cap Hotkill
    About your question earlier, looks like I can cut a few more edges to make a wrinkle on the dress (like what I have already done in some part of her dress), I might not sculpt it again later, I noticed it looks kinda flat on her silhouette without any folding cloth, some more my poly count not even reach 3000 polys yet, so its still rather safe to add in some more geometry. BUT STILL I'd love to hear your opinion why I shouldn't sculpt it, probably I can be more aware in my next model :)

_Revel
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think she should have here hair up. After all, if she was a zombie/mutant, and went through experiments having her eyes stitched closed, she would probably not look too neat and tidy.

And now that I look at it, unless you can come up with a logical story that is evident by the look of the model, she shouldn't have high heels on either.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the topology will not look very good if you subdivide it, that's why, you must keep a mesh entirely in Quads to get a good sculpt on the model, if you apply Turbo smooth to your model you will see which parts are not working for SubDmodeling and thus Sculpting.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i like the concept
    but needles arent exactly tapered

Needle_tip_close-up_500px.jpg
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @Barnstable
    Actually what I think when creating her is something like a psycho killer. Just a brief background story about her; She is working for a G.W. Hospital as a nurse, until she know the hospital is doing malpractice for experiments. The hospital decide to shut her up by actually involving her in this wrong action. She become the next subject of the experiment and was given the rifle syringe as her source of life. Yes, she need to kill people to keep alive, the veins that connected from the rifle body into her forehand is sucking her blood when the syringe's tube is empty, therefor she can't do anything other then sucking peoples blood to fill in the syringe's tube. So it wasn't "coming-back-from-grave type zombie", but she is still working for the hospital and need to tidy up everyday (except for all the blood splatter on her dress, she can't see it).

*In case you wondering, G.W. Hospital stands for Gone-Wrong Hospital..lol, I can't think on any name for the hospital. :poly124:

@Cap Hotkill
    Yes, true. Currently I'm building a portfolio to apply in a game company, so I need to create a nice lowpoly model is my main concern not the ZBrush-ed high detail model. Thanks for the suggestion!

@SnowInChina
    Woots, thank you. Will fix it for sure. Thanks!

_Revel
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Whoa, 2 weeks without update..having a really hard time continuing from what I have in the previous post, at the end decided to totally redesign the nurse.

I basically draw this piece "correctly", not rough sketches like the first post, to use it later for the background reference plane in Max while modeling. I also set the color mood and stuff. I learn a lesson from this model, preparing everything is important..I mean really important :poly142:

Here goes~

wipu.jpg

As you might already noticed already, the mood that I'm going to achieve is a Silent Hill ambient mood. In my opinion, Silent Hill is the best horror game ever, Fatal Frame the second :)

Owh and the box thingy is some kind of a "Blood Bag" to support the blood supply for her syringe rifle (in the middle is her heart not an ordinary plastic bag). In order to use the Syringe rifle, the user must keep the rifle's tube full of blood by constantly killing people and suck their blood, if not it will suck the user's blood.

I'd love to hear what do you guys think about this new design?

_Revel
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sexy but faceless... that strikes me as odd
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    definately more silent hill.
    really creepy, and sexy, like n88tr said.
    usually creepy + sexy = scary as shit, so good job there.
    with a jerking, akward, quick movement, this would be perfect
    especially with some emphasis on the highheels, if you are going to animate her, that is.

I kind of liked the hat thing your original concept had, but i like the new lack of face too, with a lack of head makes it look stupid though (as in brainless.)
    I would keep the hat, but maybe having the remains of the jawbones hanging down, so the viewer could just imagine wtf is going on with the eyes.
    nice, original weapon btw.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @n88tr
    Thanks dude..sexy and scary is kinda perfect combination though lol..

@shrew81
    Well yes, I'm planning to rig her, at the same time learning how to do character rigging in Max.
    Dude, a hanging jawbone is kinda cool..thanks for the suggestion, probably gonna be useful in my next character design. Currently I'm trying to develop a series of scary creature for my portfolio.

Anyway guys, here is the wip image of what I have so far..

wip01r.jpg

Close up

wip02.jpg

Usually how did you guys handle character dress/ shirt/ whatever that they wear?..by separate piece?or extruded from the body mesh?or any other efficient method?..I'm focusing in game asset model. Or better to create a high-res model first and later bake its detail to the low-res model?

Thanks in advance for any thought and suggestion about my question.

_Revel
  • bhong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For clothes I generally duplicate faces off of my body mesh then reconnect those later after I've sculpted any detail I want on them. You could try that.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @bhong
    Thanks man. Seems like modeling separate piece and stitched out is working nicely. But for the main dress I extruded the body mesh just to add a little bit of thickness to the dress.

Update..Here I add more detail and the dress, also smoothed out the model by separating into several smoothing group..

wip01j.jpg

Close up + wires..

wip02.jpg

Pretty much happy with her look so far and quite reasonable polys/ tris count.
    Comments and critics are welcome!

_Revel
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    soooo much improvment. although I feel like the whole thing is so gangly, but then the arms look like those of a 12 year old girl. it could just be the hands though.

maybe take a shot at making the fingers longer and more skeletal with knobby joints.

also I hate to be one of those dudes that harps on accurate genitalia representation, but she has a but of a saggy bulge goin on. on one hand I like it because it isnt your usual sexy/creepy thing. but I think somewhere inbetween what you have now, and this might look a bit less akward
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    reminds me of bioshock! good job
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    heh. I'm with konstruct, tighten up that cooch. ;D
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Much appreciated guys! :)
    And well I guess you're right..I tend to draw girls with longer torso..it looks more sexy. But looks like I draw "too" long this time lol..will fix that.

@konstruct
    Yea, that's a nice idea, make the fingers longer seems to fit her well..

Alright, hope I can bring up some update tonight~!
    *Jump back to Max..

_Revel
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much more creepy. Good job.

I still feel there needs to be some kind of reason why she still has those High heels on if she's a stumbling Zombieish thing. The stitches on her hip in the concept (that's really good BTW) suggest that she was experimented on, so maybe you could have something man made, and subtle keeping those shoes on.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    btw, her ass is extremely flat ..
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @Barnstable
    Thanks dude. For the high heels I still make her wear them simply because of the sexy-creepy concept. True that she was experimented before, but it doesn't mean that everything should thorn apart. I'm a big fans of "stitches" effects on creature's skin since Nemesis from Resident Evil 3.

I understand what you're trying to imagine (I guess..hehh), I've seen a lot of creature/ zombie/ mutant kinda character in ZBC and I have 2 categorize about this approach; first is the creepy-disgusting with melted skin/ blob all over the head and neck/ etc. and the second is the creepy-thrill feeling that the character give to the victim. Now, the first type is scary by LOOKING at them, the second one is scary by the...well, you don't know why..its just the felling/ your imagination that scared you. Imagine the situation you in a dark corner of the city with the first type of monster in front of you OR you can only hear her high heels steps that always following you, but you don't know where or what is that thing come from. for me I'm afraid with my imagination rather than the thing that you can see physically. Based on that I create the second type type of the monster for this one. The sound on the heels step + the syringe rifle's tip dragged on the floor is enough to scare people without having to look at her I guess.

Other than that, well, nurse just wear heels..pure sexy-ness :)

*damn, that's long..ignore it if it doesn't make sense to you..lol...

@EVIL
    Yeap, i struggle with the butt before and couldn't find a good topology to support a good shape. But then after I tightened her crotch, it automatically fix it for me..yay..actually no, the topology was bad because of everything too far down..hehe..

So here is the update that I promise this morning..

wip03k.jpg

Fingers are longer based on konstruct's suggestion and it looks better.Thanks dude!

wip04.jpg

Btw, ignore the polycount stats at the screengrab, it's actually contain a hidden object, the blood bag.

Right, now if you have any more thought about the current wip, please post it in. Thanks~!

_Revel
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Small update for her Blood Bag.

wipu.jpg

I noticed that the "organs" inside the frame is a little too small, too much gaps in between them, fill fix that later.
    What do you guys think?..anymore thought?

_Revel
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its turning up nice, i love the new design ;)
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I've been following this on and off for a while, and I've got to say I love what you're planning in terms of the texture color palette. I also like what you're doing with the clothing, but since both high heels would be a little unlikely, how about just one? As if she'd long since lost the other, pacing through the empty halls of the hospital. It'd give the pose and character some nice asymmetry.

However, I really don't like the whole no-face thing. It doesn't seem planned, or even an especially good fit - it seems lazy and tacked-on. You could so much with the face, and it seems a waste to put such effort into planning and concepting to just say 'oh, yeah, her face is just a bloody mess.'

For instance, you could give her a torn surgical mask, exposing a row of misshapen teeth, or stitching creeping up her cheek from the corner of her mouth. You could give her dead, sunken, milky-blue eyes, as if the experimentation made her develop cataracts before she died. She could be wearing a pair of formerly-classy, feminine glasses with broken lenses and bent frames.

Acres
    of potential, wasted.

Please reconsider doing something better with the face - you owe it to the concept. Don't ruin the model by rushing, show her some lovin'.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @Cap Hotkill
    Thanks man! :)

@danshewan
    Thank you for your interest in this model. I guess the one heels is nice, will try to apply it to my model later. But about the face, it's not that I lazy or anything that I make her "faceless", but its the concept and characteristic to the character itself. I don't want to create an everyday hot-sexy model for this particular character because she's a nurse, and by not giving her face is one of the core-concept in achieving that goal. Well other than that, I like your description of the potential idea for the head, will keep that in mind, might come in handy sometimes in the future! :poly142:

Update!..I've already re-think some of the initial concept of the character and come up with a "cursed nurse, created by someone's fear of loosing her perfect body and beautiful face", this feeling is haunted them as if there is always a faceless nurse ready to do a surgery to their face and skin it out, and steal it, and eventually wear it.

Here are some pics...

wip01.jpg

Close up

wip02.jpg

So I totally ditch the blood bag and syringe rifle concept, instead replace with a scalpel as a weapon and the "face backpack", a collection of many people's face and expression.

I've got another character concept; a doctor and a patient to complete this series and probably will give the syringe rifle to the doctor later on.

Yeah, I've been through a lot of concept shifting during creating this character as I want to make it look as good as possible for my portfolio.
    Meanwhile, please if anyone of you got comments/ suggestion, post it up will you?..Thanks.

_Revel
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Aw man, I have like 7 boners right now
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @killingpeople
    Sorry but what you mean by "7 boners"?