Home General Discussion

PSN down. lol?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/announcements/39949-read-psn-service-down-some-titles-unplayable.html#post574954

So apparently the PS3 firmware has some crazy Y2K-esque bug that appears to relate to leap years or something. Talk about a schoolboy error. Glad I'm currently playing through MGS4, which doesn't require a connection, and has no trophy support.

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Ditto. I just got sick of playing Modern Warfare 2 again lately, and have been playing my old PlayStation games (Which need no connection, either. Rayman is awesome btw)
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    scared to turn ps3 on :(
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    you're safe if you have a slim PS3. most offline games work on the old "fat" PS3, although a few of them too have troubles.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    so cruel, rolf
    i've got a ps3 phat, but i'll stick with 360 and pc until they fix this
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    At least I can still play movies... So my PS3 habbits haven't changed at all :D
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    was effected first thing this morning, cant play darksiders, white knight chronicals... dantes inferno or pretty much any game that has trophies.......
  • psychoticprankster
    I was just about to start this thread and with this video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu-vdhgkC6o[/ame]

It's hilarious.
    I got heavy rain about 2 hours ago and came home to install it and try to play it and got the dreaded error.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    grrrrrrrr was gonna spend the day playing heavy rain but fudging sony ruined my day haha

apparently its an internal clock issue that is having issues with this years leap year and therefore the internal dates dont match up to your trophies meaning any games with trophies wont play and we all look like pirates garrrrrrrr! so no online of any sort unless you were clever enough to get a slim PS3. apparently we all just gotta wait til tomorrow morning,

atleast I can catch up on all the games I havent finished on the 360 in the past couple of months.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the Hitler console videos!

Hopefully I can play my Heavy Rain today! I was playing the old Gears of War.
  • psychoticprankster
    crazyfool wrote: »
    grrrrrrrr was gonna spend the day playing heavy rain but fudging sony ruined my day haha

apparently its an internal clock issue that is having issues with this years leap year and therefore the internal dates dont match up to your trophies meaning any games with trophies wont play and we all look like pirates garrrrrrrr! apparently we all just gotta wait til tomorrow morning,

atleast I can catch up on all the games I havent finished on the 360 in the past couple of months.

I just got heavy rain today myself....now I like to am stuck playing with my 360, or I can just make some game art in blender, lol
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, it is still down. Any ideas on how long until it comes back up?

Why the discrimination against the fat consoles? If my PS3 were in shape, it would connect no problem...according to the internet.
  • psychoticprankster
    Quokimbo wrote: »
    Man, it is still down. Any ideas on how long until it comes back up?

Why the discrimination against the fat consoles? If my PS3 were in shape, it would connect no problem...according to the internet.
    I heard it wont be back up till tomrrow morning, I just tryed connecting again and got notting.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Strange that PS3 doesn't work if you're not connected: 360 and its achievements work just fine offline. Must be a different principle.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    There is a bug in the calendar. Obviously part of the PS3 thinks it's February 29th, part thinks it is March 1st, and the whole thing goes all schizophrenic...has nothing to do really with PSN, since mine is not connected and goes bonkers as well...maybe it is resolved automatically tomorrow, but I don't believe that...I think it will be just as bipolar as today, just March 1st and 2nd...

anyway...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aimPRKfqKGw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aimPRKfqKGw[/ame]
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just ectoplasmed, that was seriously amazing haha

Im thinking its an easy fix and if it isnt fixed tomorrow then hopefully we can just download a new firmware off their official site and usb install it. either way its a schoolboy era and its crippled everything, EVEN DEBUG MACHINES!!!!! fudges up our industry aswell!!!!!
  • psychoticprankster
    wonder if this is a stunt to sell more Play station 3 slims.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't think so...if I need a Slim to play again, I demand a free one...my Chubby PS3 would work alright if not for that stupid calendar bug...
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaaaaaaahahahah that fat guy killed me hahahahah
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    what? your Peripheral Nervous System is down?

damn i have to stop making biology jokes to non-biologists. :P.

EDIT: especially when it said PSN in stead of PNS :S. Buuuurn.
  • psychoticprankster
    Everyone READ THIS PLEASE.

Here's what's going on right now: something with the PS3's internal clock has borked in some pre-slim models. This is not a PSN issue; it has to do with your PS3's clock. This clock is NOT related to the OS clock. It seems to be a leap year bug. Setting your clock ahead will do nothing. All PS3s around the world were affected at the exact same time.

Does this affect me?

-If you have a Slim PS3, you're good to go. Continue playing it as normal.
    -If you have a "fat" PS3, you may be affected. Some fat PS3s have worked ok, but it seems a good majority have been bugged.

What does this bug mean?

-If affected, your date and time has been set to a random past date. This prevents you from signing into PSN, playing any PSN games, or using any DLC. Your trophies will also not display correctly or be able to sync.

How do I fix it?

-You can't. Even if you don't sign into PSN, it won't help. This is a hardware issue.

So, what do I do?

-Wait 24 hours. Other products that have had similar bugs have corrected themselves after the "bugged" day. On Monday around 6pm central time, all PS3s will automatically correct themselves...maybe.

-If that doesn't work, we'll need a firmware update from Sony, which should be a pretty important priority for them right now.

Did I lose my data/themes/etc?

Your save data/games/dlc/themes are fine. They'll be fixed when the PS3 is fixed. Trophies are uncertain right now, but they'll be fine if you've synced them before the PS3 was bugged. Unsynced trophies are an unknown right now.

If I have a bugged PS3, can I still use it?

It's probably not a good idea, as I have no idea what will happen to the trophies you earn during the bugged time. Movies/media will work fine.

So there ya go, my handy FAQ.
    The going theory is that the PS3 is storing some form of date in GMT, then modifying that to get whatever you see in the on-screen clock. That modification process seems to be fine--the system can take 2/28/2010, 9PM GMT, add four hours, and get 3/1/2010, 1AM random time zone.

What's apparently effed, as speculation goes, is when the internal GMT-tracking rolls over to 3/1. It's either not rolling, or rolling to 2/29, at which point a system tries to add/subtract from 2/29, which it can't do because the front-end calendar doesn't have a 2/29/2010, and shit explodes. Seemed to happen around 4PM PDT, which I think is 12AM GMT, so.

And the PS3 launched in 2006; it's hit 4 2/28s so far. 2007 and 2009 were odd-numbered years; 2008 was an even, and a leap year. 2010 is the first even non-leap-year the system's been around for. If some sort of base-level math is choking on itself, it may have ruled out the odd 2007 and 2009 successfully, but is convinced the even 2010 is a leap year (this part I'm less sure of, but is why leap year could theoretically come into play at some point.)

Source of information: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388872
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Mine's fucked as well. Oh well, no Heavy Rain for me. And mine's not connected to the net either.
  • Pankake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pankake polycounter lvl 11
    This kinda sucks! Come on sony, give us tech-savvy an offline firmware update.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    GIVE ME TWINKIES OR GIVE ME DEATH! lol...
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I"m not affected!!!

My PS3 drivefailed on me this weekend! :D

Unfortunately they don't have a 3 year warranty on their drivefail, so I'm shit out of luck! :D

Thanks Sony!
  • psychoticprankster
    Saposeidley it will auto correct on the 3rd of march according to something I read online.
  • Piflik
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do not want to wait till the 3rd of march to play my playstation again.

That 360 video would work if it had games on it...Like Heavy Rain, and Uncharted 2.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check here for the latest, what a royal cock up lol

http://blog.us.playstation.com/
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aw man come on i was just about to download the GOWIII demo. now I have to wait. also, this reminds me of the "zuneapocalypse" which also affected me.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    *waits for the class action lawsuit....
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    A friend went and traded his PS3, 20 games and Rock Band attachments today because of this, not knowing that it was a known issue. He received $500 trade in credit and bought a 360 Elite and a few games.
    XD
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would trade in both of my 360's before my PS3!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    snemmy wrote: »
    A friend went and traded his PS3, 20 games and Rock Band attachments today because of this, not knowing that it was a known issue. He received $500 trade in credit and bought a 360 Elite and a few games.
    XD
    Did he pull the HDD and wipe it? I wiped my PS3 HDD in the system, and when I pulled it and installed it in my car, I saw all the files still there.

Even on my "wiped" 360 HDD, I was able to recover every download, and my account was there. Games that I thought I wasn't gonna get back where restored.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    mine is back and able to connect to the PSN again.
  • Anuxinamoon
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Lamont wrote: »
    Did he pull the HDD and wipe it? I wiped my PS3 HDD in the system, and when I pulled it and installed it in my car, I saw all the files still there.

Even on my "wiped" 360 HDD, I was able to recover every download, and my account was there. Games that I thought I wasn't gonna get back where restored.

I have no idea...
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was playing Heavy Rain earlier. OMG it is good!
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    LOL!! to the Hitler video :P

Apparently, if you check either blog.us.playstation.com or PlayStation.com there should be updates about the bug being fixed. This had better be soon. Way to fail, Sony... sigh.

EDIT: Ack, there was a second page I wasn't looking at... sorry, seems my info is a tad late. Welp, back onto my PS3, then!! :D
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I love how 1 day of the PS3 not work and people were at the extremes of saying ridiculous things like "omg I cant get online on my free PSN network for one day! I need to switch over to Xbox and pay 15 dollars a month so I dont have to deal with this shit!"

When I noticed I couldnt get online I went online to search for the error and had a many lols at all the message boards and crazy people.

edit: what would have made that Plug in your 360 video epic win would have been when he turned on his 360 it red ringed.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was curious to see what the problem was, but my fatty was fine when I checked it last night...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    snemmy wrote: »
    XD

I've got to assume that he already wanted to get rid of it then. In all honesty, he was pretty damn stupid for doing this. It's not like the PS3s have had a track record of failing, yet he trades it in on a product that has known (and fairly common) failures.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    It's quite sad: I was hoping for all achievements and trophies to get lost. Just to see thousands of strange people on the forums get insane about losing all their efforts and hard earned but basicly absolute worthless achievements. Well but it seems achievement - terror is about to continue.

Also I learned that there are quite a few people who really need this crap to be motivated playing a game. *sigh*
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I lost all my Heavy Rain and Tekken Trophies...I am sooo pissed...not...couldn't care less about Trophies...(really hated them in Dead Space...no HUD whatsoever but now and again that stupid Trophy notification window popped into my view)...but it would have really been nice to see some kiddies cry about their lost e-penises...
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh dear... like all of them ....? haaaaaaahahahah
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    I love how 1 day of the PS3 not work and people were at the extremes of saying ridiculous things like "omg I cant get online on my free PSN network for one day! I need to switch over to Xbox and pay 15 dollars a month so I dont have to deal with this shit!"

When I noticed I couldnt get online I went online to search for the error and had a many lols at all the message boards and crazy people.

edit: what would have made that Plug in your 360 video epic win would have been when he turned on his 360 it red ringed.

wow, you pay 15 dollars a month for xbox live? That's not smart at all.

at the yearly pricepoint, it's $4.20 a month...
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quokimbo wrote: »
    I would trade in both of my 360's before my PS3!

How come? I love the PS2, and wasn't interested in the original xbox at all really, but the 360 seems like a better machine to me than the PS3. The vast majority of multi platform titles have a better framerate on the 360 and/or better AA etc. I haven't played any of the PS3 exclusives, but surely they don't blitz the 360's exclusives and negate the general performance advantage of the 360?
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How come? I love the PS2, and wasn't interested in the original xbox at all really, but the 360 seems like a better machine to me than the PS3. The vast majority of multi platform titles have a better framerate on the 360 and/or better AA etc. I haven't played any of the PS3 exclusives, but surely they don't blitz the 360's exclusives and negate the general performance advantage of the 360?

Don't you know? The 360 has the RRoD!!!1!!

It is the first console in history to have hardware problems!

Nevermind the dvd drive fails of the PS2, or having to turn your PS1 upside down so it wouldn't overheat, or the drivefails of the PS3, or having the UMD shoot out while playing, or having dead pixels on the PSP or DS, or having to blow on your cartridges and align them just right on the NES.

Either way, I'm sure people will shoot out numbers on rate of failure, but to be honest, it's easier to track a problem when they actually have a system in place to replace it for the consumer. Unlike Sony's approach of 'just buy another one'.

/will probably have to buy another stupid PS3 because his disk drive failed
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Well, changing the hdd on a ps3 is super easy, and i don't think (BUT DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS) that voids the warranty. So buying a new ps3 when you could buy a new hdd for small change sounds a little weird..

//edit: Unless you meant game disc, and not hard drive.. That happened to my ex' ps3, we took it to sony and got a new one in a week, free of charge.