Home General Discussion

PSN down. lol?

Replies

• rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    you can replace the HD of the PS3... you might be able to just buy a new drive and swap them
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, not the HDD. I'm talking about the actual blu ray drive.

It won't read anything that's put in it.

The 40 gig models apparently have shitty lasers.

I've had it longer than the year and have no receipt.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind the dvd drive fails of the PS2, or having to turn your PS1 upside down so it wouldn't overheat, or the drivefails of the PS3, or having the UMD shoot out while playing

Man that sucks, I had my PS1 till I got my PS2, then sold it. I had my PS2 till I got my PS3, then I sold it. No UMD's have ever shot out of my PSP, OMG.

My 360 breaks...period, more then once. It sucks, and probably will fail again, and need to be replaced.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    ahh, my mistake... Hmmm I have a 40gig version, it didn't like to be stood on it's side... it's been fine laying flay though.

/crosses fingers
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quokimbo wrote: »
    Man that sucks, I had my PS1 till I got my PS2, then sold it. I had my PS2 till I got my PS3, then I sold it. No UMD's have ever shot out of my PSP, OMG.

My 360 breaks...period, more then once. It sucks, and probably will fail again, and need to be replaced.

Personal experience is always priority to the consumer.

Would it shock you to hear that my launch 360 is still alive and running? I've had my elite red ring on me before my launch unit.

Hardware failure is reality. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    notman wrote: »
    I've got to assume that he already wanted to get rid of it then. In all honesty, he was pretty damn stupid for doing this. It's not like the PS3s have had a track record of failing, yet he trades it in on a product that has known (and fairly common) failures.

I didn't even know about the issue with PS3s until hours after he had traded it in. He thought his system was dying and should trade it in before it completely fried. And since almost every one of his friends has a 360 (as he did prior to a PS3) and no one else has a PS3, seemed like a good idea.

Not like this was an apparent wide spread issue (so few other PS3 owners around here) unless you went online specifically to see if it was.
    He tried to play 3-4 games and it kicked him to the dashboard, wasn't playing disks, wouldn't load achiv.. er TROPHIES and his saved game files were missing. I would think my OMGPS3NEVARFAILSLOL! system was busted too.

Yeah, he was SOOOOOOO stupid for thinking that his system might be dying.
    All that sounded SOOOOOO like a tiny software oversight in the internal clock that a simple patch would fix.
    /sarcasm
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hardware failure is reality. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

It has happened to me, like 4 or 5 times...On my Xbox 360. Just not my Sony products.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still 4.20 too much
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quokimbo wrote: »
    It has happened to me, like 4 or 5 times...On my Xbox 360. Just not my Sony products.

Well, I wasn't calling out Sony products only. They have just honestly had a problem with almost all the hardware platforms they've released. I did include Nintedo in there as well.

The only other platform I can think about that I forgot to mention was the original Xbox and it's 1st gen HDD failure. I had one of those.

I have a friend that used to work at a used game store and he was pretty shocked at how many PS2s people would rebuy because of the faulty dvd drive. He ended up going through 3 himself.
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    Still 4.20 too much
    really?
    too much for dedicated servers for console games?

We'll just have to see how much Sony is going to charge for their upcoming Premium Service.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah really to much for the same servers that run for free on ps3 or pc.
    Never noticed them as being better or anything.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We'll just have to see how much Sony is going to charge for their upcoming Premium Service.

http://kotaku.com/5429592/survey-sony-considering-premium-playstation-network-subscriptions

That sucks...really bad! First I have heard also. Good heads up. :thumbup::thumbup:
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, the old upside down PSOne.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had a console fail on me, at least not one I've bought new.

The only console I had that failed was a PSOne, and that's because I bought it second hand, and it was probably treated like shit.

PS2 - Japanese white model - had a lot of playtime, no problems at all. 360 no problems, several Dreamcasts without a problem etc etc.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I dont know the rules in America but in the UK, it is possible to get a repair or replacement even if the products is out of warranty.

Its part of the law that certain consumer products have to have reasonable minimum lifespan of approximately five years. So if it develops a fault in that time then it can be presumed to be there from the start and that means the company is liable.