Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    archangel, I cannot see your image!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    arvhangel, need pic ;D

Most likely you put the paint info OVER the existing color of the diffuse?

Instead the paintable areas should be AO only. Then you can choose the RGB values the hat starts off as for each team, so when the hat is painted the original color is removed and the new color is applied.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Sexy,

The red handed thing is cool for blood. But paintable kind of kills it. Of course blu team...

How about calling it 'Clot Red Handed' the other teams item could be 'Blu Balls' :D

But i dunno, it gives him such man hands.
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    archangel wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'm new here and I'd like to say thanks for all of your contributions to TF2. It has inspired me to start modelling on my own. However I do have a small problem. 1024x578.resizedimage
    As the picture shows, the paint does not affect the hat sufficiently. I wish to make the paint appear more vibrant on my hat so how do you do it? I have done everything required for the .tga texture file (including manipulating the alpha channel and enabling alpha channel diffusion) but it still has the same result. Please help, it will be appreciated.

Your picture isn't showing up. But what you can do is select the paintable ares, then in the texture(not the alpha channel) and add some white to it. The paint is shaded by whatever the texture is in that area. Use pure white where you want it painted in order to get the brightest colors. If you want to use team colors as well as paint then upload a texture that is white where you want it painted then adjust the RGB values for the Red and Blu textures in the Import tool. I use white and then add black and white gradients or the AO over the white to get the best colors.
  • archangel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jukebox wrote: »
    Your picture isn't showing up. But what you can do is select the paintable ares, then in the texture(not the alpha channel) and add some white to it. The paint is shaded by whatever the texture is in that area. Use pure white where you want it painted in order to get the brightest colors. If you want to use team colors as well as paint then upload a texture that is white where you want it painted then adjust the RGB values for the Red and Blu textures in the Import tool. I use white and then add black and white gradients or the AO over the white to get the best colors.

Thanks for the help. I tried to post a screenshot from my steam profile but I think you are right anyway. I was messing around with the import stuff and came across what you are talking about. So then it would make sense to just make a black and white version of your texture and then manipulate the RGB values to get the intended color.

I do have another problem though. It appears as though my hat (technically its a wig for the scout) is quite shiny at the upper back part of it. It sort of ruins the look of it as its supposed to be a rather matte since its a wig. Thanks for the help again!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have to mess with the phong/rimlight settings in the materials.

Once when I messed with them the changes showed in the viewer. The next time they didn't show. :( buggy I think.
  • Jukebox
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can anyone here help with this old problem?

white edges around paintable areas. alpha layer is identical to specular, and if i made the paintable area even 1 pixel larger, the paint would go over to the areas that shouldn't be painted. problem worsens as you step away from the item in the game.

SOwWuBY.jpg
  • archangel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    You have to mess with the phong/rimlight settings in the materials.

Once when I messed with them the changes showed in the viewer. The next time they didn't show. :( buggy I think.

Yeah I figured thats what I had to do and it turns out you were right!:) Anyways I have finished my hat and published it on the workshop. The video doesn't seem to work on Steam as of yet, but if you use a normal web browser you should be fine. Watch it in HD if you can. Thank you guys for your help.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice hair.

@heinous,
    Yeah, it's an issue. But I've found overlapping one pixel always looks better. Sure it'll give you a little darker line there, but that looks better than white.
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @heinous,
    Yeah, it's an issue. But I've found overlapping one pixel always looks better. Sure it'll give you a little darker line there, but that looks better than white.

i agree, but it is rather vexxing that this is even required.

cmon, someone out there HAS to know the real solution! :poly122:
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mip maps man, they are ugly.

Of course the BEST solution... (on the other hand ...) is to have painted polygons on one texture, and non paint on the other. Then you get clean sharp lines and no mip map side effects.
    but you also increase draw counts, texture/file size (maybe), blah blah
    =======

Someone asked if my scorpion could be seen in pyroland (of course) which gave me a funny idea. Meh, I'm doing this at work anyway so...

Balloon animal version
  • Zombinian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howdy folks, I modeled this last week and I just started texturing it today and was hoping to get some initial feedback. This hat is styled after a 60's beehive hairdo with a spiral design shown in the geometry. It will be my first workshop item.

I am planning on a normal map to add detail to the bow and I still have to put together a spec map, but my big focus is on the diffuse. The images shown are taken from Maya, though I will get images from the item test map as soon as I figure out why my textures won't show.
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zombinian wrote: »
    Howdy folks, I modeled this last week and I just started texturing it today and was hoping to get some initial feedback. This hat is styled after a 60's beehive hairdo with a spiral design shown in the geometry. It will be my first workshop item.

I am planning on a normal map to add detail to the bow and I still have to put together a spec map, but my big focus is on the diffuse. The images shown are taken from Maya, though I will get images from the item test map as soon as I figure out why my textures won't show.

I like it so far but at only 700 tris I think you can put some more geometry into the beehive part to make it look better. Not trying to be mean but I think the edges are a bit too sharp, kinda looks like soft serve ice cream. I would put the sharp edges in the valleys of the hair while the peaks are smooth and curved.
    Made this real quick to show you what I mean, because I suck at explaining.
    V4djGcR.png
  • Zombinian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply Jukebox, I will definitely round out the hair shape to tame the spiral edges.

I brought the hat into the TF2 item test map last night and the hair material was rendered with exaggerated shadows that did not emulate the way any item in TF2 is actually shown. Do you know how I can achieve a "normal" material render for my hat in-game?

(hat is shown with diffuse texture only)
  • M@RviN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on model... Continue to work with? =D. I accept critique
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    742C90715FA81719A04313E2FC84A8D8F4022D58
    Communist Commando. Clicky the pic!
  • Problem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First hat I've published, made it in Blender! Swizzle's tutorial helped a ton.

The Scrapper's Safeguard
    510C37558D32075A44514D882E10D1BB6CE160C0
  • Leadgame
  • EmAr
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2ueLZG0.png

Got this comment on my Major Award workshop page. Oh people, they never fail to entertain.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    better be official USA stock, this is TF2 after all
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the soldier was supposed to be a civilian pretending to be a solider, the medals being bullshit makes the item even more fitting.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    My scout ninja top received an interesting response as well.

I put the wrong side of the outfit forward which is the omnious way(Hidari-Mae) and I was told that I had to change it.
  • Evil_Knevil
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr wrote: »
    My scout ninja top received an interesting response as well.

I put the wrong side of the outfit forward which is the omnious way(Hidari-Mae) and I was told that I had to change it.

The scoot IS a dead person when I'm playing ;)
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    The scoot IS a dead person when I'm playing ;)

Same here :D
  • EmAr
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some hair and mustache+eyebrows for heavy
    268x268.resizedimage 268x268.resizedimage
    click for workshop
  • EmAr
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    OyG2cna.jpg

Hey guys! This is my first TF2 item. Hope you dudes and dudettes like it!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=168782691
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Part 1 of 3 of the scout set I am working on

scout_caller_spats_promo2.png
  • snookypookums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    407Ys.JPG

A long pending item that I had worked on a while back - a small team colored nurse's watch for the medic.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who owns Wilson? Disney, then I'd say Valve will definitely steer clear.
  • MateoD12
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    Hi guys, does anyone have any experience of getting jiggle bones to work with the import tool? I have added a root, jiggle1, jiggle2 and jiggle3 to the skin, root is linked to the hat bone. I have then exported the smd and written these in the QC file in the model

$jigglebone "root" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 1
    yaw_damping 1
    length 1
    yaw_constraint 0

(values just to test)

It doesn't spit out any errors, just nothing is.. jiggling... (in the import tool window) Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help!
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmy94 wrote: »
    Really? Disney? Had no idea ... Ok,what exactly is copyrighted on it? Handprint? Wilson Volleyball? Branches? The whole thing?

Intellectual Property is a sticky area. Most copyrights for movies are explained as "Story and characters are Copyright of [blank]" And Wilson, despite being a volleyball, is a character. So it's not just a specific thing about Wilson; you could have a football with a footprint and sticks poking out of it, that's definitely going to be grounds for a lawsuit. You can however use copyrighted things for education(as long as it's proved) or in parody.

But generally I'm betting Valve won't be even poking the idea of Copyright issues with a 10 ft pole so...

Hi guys, does anyone have any experience of getting jiggle bones to work with the import tool? I have added a root, jiggle1, jiggle2 and jiggle3 to the skin, root is linked to the hat bone. I have then exported the smd and written these in the QC file in the model

$jigglebone "root" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 1
    yaw_damping 1
    length 1
    yaw_constraint 0

(values just to test)

It doesn't spit out any errors, just nothing is.. jiggling... (in the import tool window) Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Jigglebones don't work in the importer preview. It uses the same system or whatever as the Loadout preview. A few people have said they've submitted things with jigglebones and it does work even though it doesn't show it.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can load up the item test map and see the jiggle bones working.

However there is a cvar you need to check in console that makes jiggle bones stop working under 40 fps (I tried several items on my laptop and they never jiggled, once i set the framerate cutoff to 10 fps they worked).

Yeah as far as lawsuits go, Valve doesn't want to risk it so...
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    Jimmy94 wrote: »
    Trying out team color combinations,and whatnot... Any suggestion?

blue.jpg

red.jpg

Btw,what you use to rig items to shoulder?

@mattface
    If you're still under budget for lod0,I suggest adding some geometry on that rope texture on hat. :)

I am in love with the idea of this one! But the textures don't seem to fit in well within the TF2 universe. For one, there seems to be a lot of tiny little details on it and it looks rather busy compared to the rest of the engineer. I would also say to add some color to it instead of keeping it a gunmetal black. I get that it's supposed to be robotic, but it seems too serious compared to the cartoony style of TF2. Give it more of a painted wood look (red/orange/brown paint for red, blue/yellow/green paint for blue). Also, the tube in the middle is typically glass or plastic, so maybe try to play with some opacity maps on that.

If this thing were a bit more polished, I'd rock this on my engineer all day!
  • Zombinian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howdy folks, I ran into another snag today concerning a pyro hat I've been working on. So, I took my obj & tga files through the source sdk "itemtest" then I previewed the item via the in-game item import tool where I had to change my hats lightmap from "weapon" to "pyro" in order for it to render how I wanted and the hat looks just the way I want it to. The problem is that when I try it in the "item test" map, the hat does not retain the "pyro" lightmap, same thing with HLMV...any ideas as to how I can retain the edited lightmap info for my hat?

Thanks for any and all help!
  • nano393
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished:

47EE4CDEF99D333BCA522B235936ED225CA04295

973B89193323111AEA1190563544D8D495301A59
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice but I'd tone down the specular a lot. Looking at other hair styles in the game they are a lot more muted and this looks a bit waxy.
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks by the way guys I have got jigglebones working in HLMV now, although they need tweaking a lot :)

Oh a couple more questions. Can I split my jiggle bones or do they all need to be attached to each other? I have a twig that jiggles but I want it to jiggle from the middle not one side.

If my root is in the middle, and say jiggle 1 is on the left of it and jiggle 2 on the right would that jiggle from a rigid middle?

Second question is:

How do I get stuff to load properly in the itemtest map! When I try to load up my model (which works in HLMV) it just crashes tf2!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All the jiggles need attached to the base somehow.

ie: bip_head>jiggle 1>jiggle 2 as one chain

bip_spine>jiggle 3 as another.

They just need ;linked to a bone that is on the base skeleton (export all bones if they are used or not)
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks by the way guys I have got jigglebones working in HLMV now, although they need tweaking a lot :)

Oh a couple more questions. Can I split my jiggle bones or do they all need to be attached to each other? I have a twig that jiggles but I want it to jiggle from the middle not one side.

If my root is in the middle, and say jiggle 1 is on the left of it and jiggle 2 on the right would that jiggle from a rigid middle?

Second question is:

How do I get stuff to load properly in the itemtest map! When I try to load up my model (which works in HLMV) it just crashes tf2!

This is the way I would rig that:
    5v5YnJq.png
    The top part of the T is the part you want to wiggle, it should all be assigned to the horizontal bone, that way the pivot point is the center. The vertical part of the T is the base.

As far as Item test goes, no clue, you could try reinstalling TF2 but thats just a guess. Itemtest is buggy.
  • DatGmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DatGmann null
    2DE0E2F25013AA73E89F8791056CE3146C3A9BC3
    Here's a thing i've worked on the past few days.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the crash could very likely be mis-rigged bones, or unattached bones (they can't just be in there floating.
  • Zeemis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeemis polycounter lvl 11
    In the progress of rigging this...
    SketchFab Version
    sentrypreview.png
  • Zombinian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howdy folks, I ran into another snag today concerning a pyro hat I've been working on. So, I took my obj & tga files through the source sdk "itemtest" then I previewed the item via the in-game item import tool where I had to change my hats lightmap from "weapon" to "pyro" in order for it to render how I wanted. The problem is that when I try it in the "item test" map, the hat does not retain the "pyro" lightmap edit, same thing with HLMV...any ideas as to how I can retain the edited lightmap info for my hat?

Thanks for any and all help! My item is finished and will be uploaded once I solve this problem.