Home General Discussion

EA Layoffs, hope everyone will find something again

Replies

• Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    That sucks, especially with EA announcing they paid $300 million for Playfish
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    sigh...and those of us trying to break in will have an even tougher time now until the economy reabsorbs all these new vets on the prowl. This crap needs to slow down.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    sigh...and those of us trying to break in will have an even tougher time now until the economy reabsorbs all these new vets on the prowl. This crap needs to slow down.

True.

I think the industry as a whole needs to reconsider revising the terms on their hiring posts from "Senior" to "Associate or Junior" roles.
    Besides more money can be saved easily, as long as they look for those who live to mod for a hobby.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe what's more worrying is whether or not big publishers like EA and Activision will continue to operate like this after the financial crisis blows over.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's rough, I hope everyone gets back on their feet fast. This makes me very glad that I'm not going to be looking for an industry job for another 2-3 years yet...
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    justin!?!?!?! are you okay!?!?!?!?!?! JUSTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????!!!!!!!!!!
    xeno?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!?????!!!!!!!!!!
    :poly134:
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I'm lookin' for a job just like everyone else but hearin news like this is seriously depressing. Never the less, good luck and hope you guys find new work!
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, my heart goes out to those who havn't found a job yet.
    As for those who lost theirs, well, at least you got the opportunity to be where you were.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    bah... not good. not good at all
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    I hear Vancouver is booming.

Though EA tends to do this every year, don't they? Though from the sounds of it Mythic got a big cut and Warhammer is SoL.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    Yeah, my heart goes out to those who havn't found a job yet.
    As for those who lost theirs, well, at least you got the opportunity to be where you were.

I was thinking the other day about industry vets who used to complain about 60 hour work weeks. I'm personally itching for that kind of opportunity. I want to stay late till 2am somewhere working with uber talented people. They say you learn more in 1 month on the inside than a whole year on your own.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    :'(
    good luck guys
    Xenobond wrote: »
    My 5 year mission to explore Mythic Entertainment has come to it's Series Finale.
    You can take me and these guys off of that list as well-
    - Brian Miller
    - Justin Meisse
    - StartTday
    - SubPablo
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    I completely agree with the above post. It's very depressing to hear about these cuts as a soon to be graduate. Makes competing for an entry level position that much harder and there is only so much you can learn on your own. But my heart does go out to those who lost their jobs, that's tough and I wish you luck.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I'm surprised the way EA manages their personnel is not considered to be illegal.

HUGE rounds of layoffs every 2 years, yet they begin restaffing within 3-4 months.

Layoffs as a budget cutting measure is one thing. Foreseeable layoffs as a pre-determined budget cutting measure well known in advance is another.

Why doesn't EA just simply offer 1-2 year contracts to everyone? That way the work stoppages won't come as a complete surprise, and disrupt the lives and livelihood of the thousands who are affected every year?

If our industry becomes unionized, EA will be the primary ones to blame.

>_<

Sorry for those who lost their job, hope you guys all land somewhere.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Crap, guys! Sorry to hear all this. Here's to hoping you all land on your feet soon.

Mythic lads: make sure you check this thread: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?p=1026214#post1026214

Xeno-san, Justin....I be lookin' at you.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Murdoc: Black Box in Vancouver apparently had people let go in this latest round of EA layoffs.

As for Vancouver game industry booming, I guess it is. But I personally am getting really annoyed with the local industry. Mostly from the fact that it comes across as a real pain to get into the industry without years of experience and shipped titles.

EA also tends to hire a bunch of temp positions to help finish up games for the christmas season.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Really sad to see a lot of talented people leaving : /

hope everyone who lost there job finds something
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I'm surprised the way EA manages their personnel is not considered to be illegal.

HUGE rounds of layoffs every 2 years, yet they begin restaffing within 3-4 months.

Layoffs as a budget cutting measure is one thing. Foreseeable layoffs as a pre-determined budget cutting measure well known in advance is another.

Why doesn't EA just simply offer 1-2 year contracts to everyone? That way the work stoppages won't come as a complete surprise, and disrupt the lives and livelihood of the thousands who are affected every year?

If our industry becomes unionized, EA will be the primary ones to blame.

>_<

Sorry for those who lost their job, hope you guys all land somewhere.

Strongly agree with this. It seems as if EA does do massive layoffs every few years. Somethings not right here.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    + 1 condolences to all the guys affected. Shitty time of year to let so many people go, too. I got laid off two weeks before Christmas last year, and the stress and anxiety nearly put me in the hospital.

Here's hoping sincerely that everyone can soldier on and land on their feet.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ouch, unlucky, guys. Hope everyone affected gets work again sharpish. I'm afraid SD isn't hiring at the moment, or I'd be encouraging everyone to apply!
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Keg wrote: »
    Murdoc: Black Box in Vancouver apparently had people let go in this latest round of EA layoffs.

As for Vancouver game industry booming, I guess it is. But I personally am getting really annoyed with the local industry.

Actually I was being mildly sarcastic and spiteful to various people here after my last conversation on the topic, but also offered a middleground in the fact EA just tends to do this, so it doesn't reflect the state Vancouver may or may not be in.

Anyway, best of luck to anyone who got hit.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I came into work today fully expecting to be back home a few hours later. Luckily this hasn't been the case. Hopefully the EA overlords feel that we paid our pound of flesh last year.

Much sympathy for those affected.

1,500 jobs? Damn.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    dumbasses, just start new companies FFS. hire a programmer or 2, some asset creators, and be boss.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=26001 holy crap...

that sucks for all those who got laid off. how the hell do students expect to get a job with all these vets looking for work? ugh. let the panic attacks begin!
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the blackbox stuff was largely related to the two cancelled projects, and I hear that a lot of those guys have known for a while now, so hopefully this isn't a huge surprise.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    fuck, good luck guys, this situation sucks...
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Id software is hiring for a few spots, so if you guy's have something you want to drop me, I would be happy to pass it along.

Spark
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to hear this. Good luck all.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Well fuck guys. Sorry to hear. As if it wasn't hard enough to get a damn job before today...
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer, not a good time of year to be unemployed. Best of luck finding new work to all those affected.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    I was thinking the other day about industry vets who used to complain about 60 hour work weeks. I'm personally itching for that kind of opportunity. I want to stay late till 2am somewhere working with uber talented people. They say you learn more in 1 month on the inside than a whole year on your own.

No offense, but this mentality strikes me as naive. I know you want to break in and work with talented people and improve your skills, but there's a good reason people complain about 60+ hour weeks, and that's because crunch sucks. Your life becomes unbalanced, it's harder to eat right, you don't get as much exercise, you feel less creative, and your body becomes physically fatigued. There's nothing fun about working an insane amount of hours, even when you're young. Especially when your studio turns around and dumps you with no warning -- what a "reward".

My condolences to all the newly unemployed at EA. Fifteen to twenty percent is huge :/
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Well fuck guys. Sorry to hear. As if it wasn't hard enough to get a damn job before today...

no kidding. It's already been tough.

Sorry to hear that to those laid off. It really sucks and I wish you all luck in finding a good gig.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Really sorry to hear this.

We've got open positions (mostly code) in several studios: http://www.rockstargames.com/jobs/
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    is this the worst time ever to be in the game industry or what? really sad to hear this :(
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    this is what makes it all worth it, the sense of community!

I was only at Mythic 4 months shy of 3 years but I had a great time and got to meet (and learn from) alot of awesome people!

Thanks for the support guys, I'm looking forward to working in an area that has more than one studio and meeting some more polycounters.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    sorry to hear this guys, i really had a great time over at mythic and worked with some awesome people, i wish we were hiring right now.

good luck and if any positions open up around here anytime soon i will let you know.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Damn, sucks to hear. Hope those affected find new jobs soon.....

*cough* *cough*
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe wrote: »
    No offense, but this mentality strikes me as naive. I know you want to break in and work with talented people and improve your skills, but there's a good reason people complain about 60+ hour weeks, and that's because crunch sucks. Your life becomes unbalanced, it's harder to eat right, you don't get as much exercise, you feel less creative, and your body becomes physically fatigued. There's nothing fun about working an insane amount of hours, even when you're young.

I'm not "young" and I have crunched before in other industries. I enjoy it but I suppose it also depends on the quality of people around you. Uncool pricks probably make it difficult I can imagine. As long as people are getting paid I've never seen the problem. Takes my mind off other things. I'd much rather keep my mind occupied 100% with work than worry how I'll be able to pay the bills.

Of course those with a family I can be sympathetic towards. I've opted to not be tied down by that so I have no experience with how this effects those with kids, etc.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah this is very depressing for students/people trying to break into the industry, I was hoping to land a job by the end of summer in 6 months or so, but if people are being laid off at this rate, I don't have too much hope.
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    well this sucks here goes my chance for a job in vancouver after the olympics frenzy
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, that sucks. Dropping everyone after the fall games are ready to ship...

I secretly hope it's mostly programmers and administration so that the competition for jobs doesn't further compile...

Good luck to those affected!
    downarmy wrote:
    well this sucks here goes my chance for a job in vancouver after the olympics frenzy

It's funny that you hear there are jobs in Vancouver now, because over here we hear that there are jobs to be had in Montreal.
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn- really sorry to learn about this, guys...

I hope you all at least got a fat severance. Best of luck in the search...
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    This is terrible. Condolences.... seems EA likes to vaporize old studios instead of giving them something new to work on. Am I wrong? The layoffs are brutal. Smaller teams and shorter development times seem like the future, in this "economy."
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Sorry dudes. :( I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone affected.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Really depressing news...sorry to hear a bunch of Polycounters didn't make it this time.

Packaged games are a dying breed. Most of the staff and studios laid off were most likely working on traditional console games...The teams working on digitally distributed, socially connected games have survived the last 2 rounds of cuts.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    Yeah this is very depressing for students/people trying to break into the industry, I was hoping to land a job by the end of summer in 6 months or so, but if people are being laid off at this rate, I don't have too much hope.

on the plus side, EA will probably hire back a lot of people in a few months right? Probably a lot of junior artists that are cheaper than the people they just fired. I think they do this kind of house cleaning every year (although usually not so much).
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    on the plus side, EA will probably hire back a lot of people in a few months right? Probably a lot of junior artists that are cheaper than the people they just fired. I think they do this kind of house cleaning every year (although usually not so much).

They do a housecleaning of their bottom 10% performers after every product ships, but this is different. They are moving most of these jobs to lower cost production centers. Most of these jobs are never coming back.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Always unfortunate to see another thread like this...Best of luck to all those affected.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Pretty nasty climate at the moment. Personally I'm still looking after the last round at EA (several months back).

Best advice i can offer is, don't be picky when applying or accepting a new possible position. Ideal at the moment ain't what it was a few years ago.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    bummer....hope everyone lands on their feet