polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone,

Gonna give a try this time :P

Some sort of portal overload. Sci-fi of course :P
A quick paintover/color tries for now:

unearthlysketch02.jpg

i am not that good with 2d paintings, so i hope to be able to show more actual 3d asap.

Replies

• c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Up to a good start, like the idea and the perspective! Good luck further on!
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    It reminds me of my Wii when I don't read my mail on it for days!
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    - actually reminds me of tron - and that last scene with the MCP - 'quick, throw the disc tron!' pew pew
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, htat was funny regarding Wii :P
    Haven't thought of it b4, but now after u told ....

Ahh, why did u tell that, lol, now i will never look at my scene as i used before :)
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some updates.

Mostly did low-poly modeling.
    Terrain and mountains still need work though. And also later some of duplicated objects will have some varied damages etc.

wip01.jpg

wip02.jpg

wip03.jpg
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    this is certainly impressive. your stuff is always quite inspiring, so i'm looking forward to your progress
  • spetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    Great start, can't wait to see more
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    This is turning out great! Like I said before, the perspective really sells the whole idea. Only tip i can give is that it would probably be nice with something on the ground because right now its a bit boring, maybe some rocks or some cables? Keep up the good work!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for feedbacks :) Ground will definitely have more detail. That was major mesh modeling, sure that smaller things may pop up here and there ;)

Here is a bit more of updates :P

Doing Diffuse pass on things now.

Metal surfaces r supposed to have some paint layer, but for now its color is kept neutral (light gray), as i might adjust actual paint color overlay later when things r put together:

wip04.jpg
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some more progress :P

I finally set up the scene in UT3 as well as some lighting and atmosphere tests.

Lots of objects r still untextured and sometimes require more detail. Some are textured, but for now I am doing only Diffuse pass.

Ah, and btw, I decided to go more towards snowy/winter time :)

wip05.jpg
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    this looks hot!

:D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice lighting going on there
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Very stylish, I like the colours your using. Reminds me of the structures taking over City-17 in HL2. Keep it up!
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    this is pretty damned awesome. great POV and composition ... the beam really feels hot. Are you going to play with steam? If there is mid to light snow and a cold atmosphere I would imagine the machinery would melt some of that. Great work! Keep it up!
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    damn!

I gotta keep an eye on this!
  • Famouz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Famouz polycounter lvl 8
    Making a good atmosphere!
    And takes you to another planet... LOL
    Very nice, keep working.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    nifty, might want to play with various cable thicknesses, would be nice to see some thicker ones in there here and there to help give the viewer a sense of what's going on, little chaotic in certain spots.
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    nice composition \o/
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, glad u liked it guys.

@ r4ptur3 - yep, i am planning to blend 2 materials. There will be snow layer blended through vertex color.

@ crazyfingers - there actually is thickness diference. Probably cosidering big distance and with this screengrab res it starts looking kinda the same :P But i did not want the cables to be like 3 meters thick.
    I am actually after somehow chaotic cables, so that they merge into several thicker ones that r actually connected to the portal.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    wow, that looks sooo good in game. The vertical pipes (wires maybe) really remind me of some kind of stringed musical instrument. maybe even organ pipes in a church.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more progress.
    Textured machinery stuff plus did shaders for ground and rocks.
    Some individual stones may be subdivided a bit more i guess.

Still did not work on the portal itself not the sky:

wip06.jpg

wip07.jpg
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    badass.

Would be cool to have more space between the elements (engine things) on the ground... currently they feel too packed in. no room for the eyes to breathe.

Very nice touch with the footprints in the sand. Sand surface properties look good too. Would be cool to see more waves in it though... and maybe not so close to the ground (the camera) in the first shot?

Dig the cables too.

Careful not to make your scene look too symmetrical... while symmetry in architecture is fine, there should be something that breaks it up (especially with it being outdoors.)

also be careful about the jagged polys on the terrain or whatever it is that's causing the triangulation of the sand against the side of the platform.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx -
    thanks a lot, those r helpful suggestions, gotta take care of that :
    Lol, u said "sand properties look good", that is actually suposed to be snow :P Dam, looks like i need to add more "snow" clues to it :)

Camera postion will vary a bit.

Totally agreed about breaking some symmetry. Gotta think of waht i can add...

thanks again, appreciate those hints.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like your lighting atmosphere, my only critics would be about the rocks that i didn't recognize as it when i saw the pic; about the snow maybe you could try to put some on the top of your side props (which could be a way to add some asymmetry as well) or make a melt path following the step mark on the ground. Anyway nice job :)
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't be afraid to call the sand a happy accident and run with it...

but if you make it snow, you'll have to put snow collected on everything... that's one reason it's reading as sand...

also, snow is one of the hardest materials to get right. You have to worry about light transmission/reflection light bouncing off of the surface affecting everything around it... making the lighting support snow can be a challenge as well. Not saying don't do it, but keep in mind all the different things that make a snow environmenet look like a snow environment.. and then ask yourself "Is the snow so important? does it really make/break my scene... can i do something that is just as good with less time and make it look badass?"

If snow is a huge part of the theme/backstory, go for it... just some thoughts.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with the symmetry comment but only when talking about the cables. The rest I like the symmetry. Go with sand!
  • Pavel Petrenko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pavel Petrenko polycounter lvl 8
    I love your composition and camera angle! Keep going!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for C&Cs :)
    I want to keep snow, because i want to get cold/hot contrast.

Meanwhile some more progress.

Still remain some details to tweak and i wanna fix the lighting on the ground. Gotta be a bit more blue because it looks like it tends more towards green/yellow compared to the rest of snow surfaces :P

wip09.jpg
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some another update at the end of the weekend :P

wip10.jpg
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting jealous of your lighting >.< it really goes well, just one thing about the footstep in the snow, it seems too much "clean", like every people who walk there tried to not walk in the previous footstep and that they all walked forward in line just to put trace but not to go somewhere. (dunno if i'm really clear u.u; )
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, it sound clear enough :) Thanks for noticing that.
    Actually footsteps r rather mixed, they just might get unclear if i mix them even more... U know, at this camera angle i am worrying that they might loose shape definition and become unnoticeable.

Ill probably try later this week to mix them around more, i'll see what it gives :P
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    fantastic stuff! Maybe make the footprints a little deeper? the lighting on this one is insane!
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I like how the lighting is directing attention to the building.

However, adding on to the composition, it'd be nice to perhaps have something in the mid and foreground like a few splinters, twins or rocks to make the rest of the image more "interesting."

Will there be more work done to the engine bases? on the sides? They seem a little grey and clean.
    Some color variations and paint can bring it out a lot too.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has a nice crytek feel to it due to the sand. Mind if I suggest few things? Yes, the middle light is the focal point but that is just about it, the rest of the scene gets lost. On the foreground design few floor objects that give off light, you know how the lights are inside a plane? Do something like that to create a path that tights the foreground all the way to the gates.

Maybe add some debree along the way as if the 'hero' has fought some machines and gave them a nice beating and now he is on to the final boss :)

GL.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Is it snow or sand on the ground? I've seen people say it's snow and have seen you say snow, but Mazvix thinks it's sand. It would be nice if there was some light in the back to create a contrast of colors and to light the snow to make it more obvious that it's snow. It'd also create some shadows in the footsteps. Maybe a slight blue glow coming from inside the engines or from some light on the outside top of each one would create that lighting back there and create a good contrast. That would also light up the ropes a bit, they are kind of hard to see right now.

An idea I had to show the snow more obviously is to create some snow piles on top of the engines and such and maybe even icicles hanging off of them. If you get a good refract texture the icicles could look really good.

Story wise I'm not sure what's going on. There's footsteps leading into the giant exploding portal rift for some reason. Is it a giant teleporter?

Sorry for being so critical of some things in your scene. I just get interested some scenes and want to try to help people improve them. Yours is one of my favorites so far.

Keep up the good work!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personaly thought the ground was sand for what it's worth. Anyway, this scene is one of my faves. It's got a very high poly geometric feel, but it's in UT3 and still looks great, which can be a pain to pull off.

Dunno what you were planning with the rest of the scene but did a super quick paintover, I thought this scene would look cool with smoke rolling out of all of its orifices, could just be halloween still getting to me though:
    4070046355_839f3a0d18_o.jpg
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Man this scene is so epic, I really like your lighting. Are you going to add anything else to this? Keep it up!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for such many suggestion ppl :) I appreciate that.

@r4ptur3 - i agree, but unfortunately that shader has become that complex that i cant plug additional Offset Bump for footprints. Normal is already the deepest i could do :P
    But i tweaked the snow shader... to make footsteps more natural somehow ...

@pliang - yep, the ground looked kinda empty to me in some places. Well, i added more variation to the grounds itself, some more rocks up close.

@Mazvix - got some more "melted snow" path thing. Didn't want to add too much light noise with lit passage though. And no destroyed machines :P sry man. Would be too much for the composition as to me.

@Zipfinator - u r right, it is a kinda like teleporter. Thanks for helping out, don't worry - criticizing is never too much :P

@crazyfingers - nice idea man :) Still gotta think about it, not sure yet...

@Diwan - thanks, not sure if i will add much more to this. Wanna finish it already :P Maybe some minor stuff.

wip11l.jpg

and some monocrome/value/color composition samples:
    wip12g.jpg
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Scene is looking good! I dig the icy snow as well.

Few thoughts:
    - Would like to see the main glow opening have a few silhouette objects tucked into it w/ some subtle variation in color along the large rectangular shape.
    - A stronger sky gate (swirling clouds and effects) for my eye to land on. You follow the orange glow straight up and then.... yea. Maybe take a look at the into HL2 episode 2.

Scene is looking great otherwise! Keep at it!

-Tyler
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks gamedev, that was a nice sample of sky gate :)
    I actually did not want it to take too much attention. It is important part, but not no1, lol, i am maybe gettin lazy now as well:P i made it kinda bigger though and some parts brighter a bit.

I added brighter ray in the middle of central glow thing, hope it will add a bit of variation :P

Actually, one friend of mine gave me a nice suggestion regarding showing the sad end of those who failed using the teleporter properly, so I added burned fallen boots from the sky and falling ashes :)

wip13.jpg

Dam, i want to finish it already...
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    sweeet! you should so have a boot or something with a little polycount insignia close up to the camera I feel the foreground is rather empty
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I dig it. If anything you could crop away some the top and bottom of the scene to give you more pixels for your pretty. Thought about your second angle at all?
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    The central cloud should be a polycount face, so it looks like the beam is comming form its mouth XD

This is sick man. I only wish it wasnt as empty were the sandy stuff is, but what can you do eh.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great, but I really hate the placement of the greentooth. It seems like it's there just to follow the rules and it ruins the tower a bit for me. You could try putting it on one of the boots. The rules don't say it has to be a huge part of your scene.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha! you just could not resist my debre idea xD
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    @Matroskin - nah, you're not getting lazy. It looks good. Maybe just some subtle swirl at the top to show some cloud / atmosphere? Also, did you create the smoke / steam fx particles in the scene? Do they count towards our texture budget? Looking great man.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also a fan of the smoke debris!

I think it's a bit too smudgy where it's emanating out of the object though, maybe up the opacity right at the ground level or add some higher detail smoke effects just at the very base.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, great colors and composition. Ground needs lots of love, appealing for an end to smudgy vertex blending - use proper maps for sharper detailed transitions, and fix the seams between the rocks on the right and the ground. Also, ground is very plain (and a bit lo rez), maybe remove some of the boots and add dying twigs of shrubbery or something in the foreground? Another suggestion: Slight flow of "lava" emanating from the base of that laser, steaming out just far enough to where the first machines are. Also, odd specular on ground must go, if anything, just emphasize the one from the laserbeam thingy. Rocks also looking very generic, need structure and detail, but I figure no normals yet, right? Also, base of rocks where they meet with the wall/laser is looking quite polygonal, I would expect something more craggy and natural. Wires next to invisible btw! Also, AO (painted per-vertex or otherwise) in the crevices of the machinery-walls would help them pop. Also, what of the central effect up in the sky, any further plans for that or does the beam just disappear? Not necessarily bad as it is, but some other ideas could be explored. Also, maybe some more direct scale references on the rows of machines? I see some railings, but it's a bit unclear - maybe have some of them go all the way down the ramp to make it clear how big a human would be?

Phew, so many alsos. I'm done.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Agreed, the perspective and use of color is really powerful. Great lighting, and I love the fragmentation of the top of the tower. Got to say I agree about the greentooth placement on the tower - it feels thrown in there.

Otherwise, great job, man.