Home General Discussion

someone is selling my modeler on TS!

Replies

• danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Contact Turbo Squid immediately, and inform them that your work has been stolen.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Yep. I've had it happen, and that's what I did. Contact them and they'll remove it.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    you're up against a 16 year old student from glendowie college in auckland, NZ. he's really into skateboarding and owns a beagle.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly wrote: »
    you're up against a 16 year old student from glendowie college in auckland, NZ. he's really into skateboarding and owns a beagle.

what0eb0fx.gif
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I'm pretty sure the SG552 model he has for sale is stolen as well. I'll look thru old counter-strike weapon model replacements and see if I can find the matching one.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Dneounce the swine for what he is, a thieving chav.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    stealing someones work is one thing, but also selling it? burn him!
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11

I guess thats one of the major disadvantages of having a unique internet nickname.

And I dont think he was "stealing" it, you can freely download it from lonewolfs portfolio.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    then you should read his writeups on turbo squid where he actually claims to have made the models.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    This detailed yet low poly model is perfect for games.
    Great textures also included.
    at least the little bastard gave you some props... in a non direct stealing sorta way.

Also, I'd say its worth quite a bit more then 15$
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    the guy is not even very smart. 15€ for that? its worth a lot more I'm sure.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    yeh, minimum of 150€
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Yozora wrote: »
    And I dont think he was "stealing" it, you can freely download it from lonewolfs portfolio.

Pretty sure when you steal someone else's work and sell it on Turbosquid it is called "stealing". I can "freely download" all sorts of finished textures and even models from Polycount. Putting those up for sale would also be stealing.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    dejawolf wrote: »
    yeh, minimum of 150€

People will really buy this stuff for $150? I've known about TS but I had no idea you could sell stuff for that much.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouch. Report report report. What else can you do? :S
    Hope it gets fixed.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax wrote: »
    I've known about TS but I had no idea you could sell stuff for that much.

You'd have to, if only to pay Turbo Squid's exorbitant commission fees.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas wrote: »
    Pretty sure when you steal someone else's work and sell it on Turbosquid it is called "stealing". I can "freely download" all sorts of finished textures and even models from Polycount. Putting those up for sale would also be stealing.

Selling them would be immoral. If the artist/publisher/creator/owner freely offers their stuff for anyone to download and don't say anything that would suggest you shouldn't try to sell it, then technically it ain't stealing.
    Most artists/publishers who do give free stuff out put some disclaimer saying stuff like you shouldn't use this for your own profit or something along those lines in the ToS or whatever accompanying files.

If you download one of lonewolfs models, it doesn't say anything like that on his site or in the readme, it just tells me to visit his website and have fun.

I'm not saying that simply adding a disclaimer will prevent something like this from happening, but at least you make it clear to whoever downloads your stuff you don't want them selling it instead of relying on their assumptions. Some may argue this should be clear anyway, but you know, theres all kinds of people who would deliberately exploit that and clearly this kid is one of them.

Also I'm not saying that downloading someone elses work to sell is right either and its not something I'd personally do.

Does this mean everyone should put disclaimers on every image they post? Sure, if you think someone out there is gonna try and sell your images for profit.

I'd class people who claim the work of someone else as their own as fraud rather than theft. Maybe its just all semantics to some, but I see a clear difference between theft and fraud.
    It would be theft if someone took the work without the owners permission, or if they sold the work against the owners wishes (which need to be stated).

Right now its just a question of morality.
    So what you could do is try to contact this kid first and teach him to correct his mistakes. If he refuses to do so and acts like the douche that he we all assume him to be, then report it to turbosquid and let the internet know of his douchebaggery.

edit: I noticed this file was only uploaded 5 days ago, just curious but how did you find out about it so fast? :o
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay we get it, cover-your-ass fail on Lonewolf's part.

From Turbosquid's EULA:
    Seller represents and warrants that: (a) the Content is Your original work, and contains no copyrighted material of any kind that Seller is not the exclusive owner of,

Can you argue semantics over this too?
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From Turbosquid's EULA:
    Seller represents and warrants that: (a) the Content is Your original work, and contains no copyrighted material of any kind that Seller is not the exclusive owner of,

Can you argue semantics over this too?

Nope :)
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    It is illegal to sell something you don't have the rights to. Simply because you don't mention anything doesn't mean you hand over your copyright-- you have to do that in writing.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Lonewolf wrote: »
    i sent email

:o

That was more than 7 hours ago and I can still put the item in a shopping cart to purchase it!
    It's surprising that a company like this is willing to ignore it's own principles for profit. Sorry this happened to you, you have some really nice stuff on your website too, maybe nows the time to add that legal disclaimer.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GCMP wrote: »
    It's surprising that a company like this is willing to ignore it's own principles for profit.

Well, when you've got a site charging 50% of the value of an object (which they ultimately determine) as commission and very little in the way of quality control happening (given the awful standard of quite a large proportion of the meshes offered for sale), it's not really surprising, is it?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    sue the slime blind.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selling them would be immoral. If the artist/publisher/creator/owner freely offers their stuff for anyone to download and don't say anything that would suggest you shouldn't try to sell it, then technically it ain't stealing.
    Most artists/publishers who do give free stuff out put some disclaimer saying stuff like you shouldn't use this for your own profit or something along those lines in the ToS or whatever accompanying files.

If you download one of lonewolfs models, it doesn't say anything like that on his site or in the readme, it just tells me to visit his website and have fun.

I'm not saying that simply adding a disclaimer will prevent something like this from happening, but at least you make it clear to whoever downloads your stuff you don't want them selling it instead of relying on their assumptions. Some may argue this should be clear anyway, but you know, theres all kinds of people who would deliberately exploit that and clearly this kid is one of them.

Also I'm not saying that downloading someone elses work to sell is right either and its not something I'd personally do.

Does this mean everyone should put disclaimers on every image they post? Sure, if you think someone out there is gonna try and sell your images for profit.

I'd class people who claim the work of someone else as their own as fraud rather than theft. Maybe its just all semantics to some, but I see a clear difference between theft and fraud.
    It would be theft if someone took the work without the owners permission, or if they sold the work against the owners wishes (which need to be stated).

Right now its just a question of morality.
    So what you could do is try to contact this kid first and teach him to correct his mistakes. If he refuses to do so and acts like the douche that he we all assume him to be, then report it to turbosquid and let the internet know of his douchebaggery.

edit: I noticed this file was only uploaded 5 days ago, just curious but how did you find out about it so fast? :o

someone msged me on msn

anyway, you cant sell something that isnt yours:poly116:
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was more than 7 hours ago and I can still put the item in a shopping cart to purchase it!
    It's surprising that a company like this is willing to ignore it's own principles for profit. Sorry this happened to you, you have some really nice stuff on your website too, maybe nows the time to add that legal disclaimer.

yea i didnt even got reply

i use the email down below here
    http://www.turbosquid.com/CopyrightPolicy
  • 00Zero
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    danshewan wrote: »
    Well, when you've got a site charging 50% of the value of an object (which they ultimately determine) as commission and very little in the way of quality control happening (given the awful standard of quite a large proportion of the meshes offered for sale), it's not really surprising, is it?

It is actually from remembering a few years ago when Turbosquid were no.1 on the market, nearly all the models were nothing short of professional. Times may have changed but a big company like that cannot afford to ignore it's own rules or trust will be lost and that means loss of sales/sponsors in the longrun.

hope you get it sorted Lonewolf, rogues like this need discipline.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this might explain the slow reply from turbosquid's legal rep

All claims of copyright infringement shall be delivered to the Designated Copyright Agent of TurboSquid:
    Nancy-Ellen Martin
    c/o TurboSquid, Inc.
    http://www.ingenweb.org/indelaware/Hamilton/Cullen/martinnancyellen.jpg

sorry couldn't resist. :)
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is actually from remembering a few years ago when Turbosquid were no.1 on the market, nearly all the models were nothing short of professional. Times may have changed but a big company like that cannot afford to ignore it's own rules or trust will be lost and that means loss of sales/sponsors in the longrun.

Oh, I agree - a few years ago, this kind of behavior wasn't as prevalent as it seems to be today. I think it's very disappointing for a company / site to deteriorate in quality and standards the way Turbo Squid has, especially given their reputation and standing.

These days, though? Doesn't raise many eyebrows, does it?
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this might explain the slow reply from turbosquid's legal rep

All claims of copyright infringement shall be delivered to the Designated Copyright Agent of TurboSquid:
    Nancy-Ellen Martin
    c/o TurboSquid, Inc.
    http://www.ingenweb.org/indelaware/Hamilton/Cullen/martinnancyellen.jpg

lol

well ok they took it off
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That's in pretty poor taste, man.

Anyways, at least they've removed your work from the site. Did they mention if any action would be taken against the fraudulent seller?
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's in pretty poor taste, man.

lawl, there's a prude among us
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    More to the point you should demand to know how many copies of that sold. Turbosquid can come off like bandits in this. They still have any money made from this. So its better for them just to feign ignorance and keep posting work without verifying author. Even if later its found its not the persons, like I said, they already made plenty of potential money off it.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    I think the point for TS is:

If they can't handle those situations quickly then I would ask myself if its worth buying anything there. I mean lets say you buy lonewolfs model from this guy. How do thes handle such a case? the whole transaction is invaldid, the customer buying the model will lose his right to use it for his project.

If the theft is discovered early: no problem. But imagine you bought some assets, used it in your game / project (what ever) which is released by now. And now TS tells you:
    "Sorry the models you've bought were stolen, you've lost your license for using them. All payments will be revoked. Have a nice day."

Or another example: The artist who really holds the copyrights on the models you've bought charges you much (I mean significantly much more) to use his work. Well it's his right to do so, but as a company you might get into serious trouble with all this. I wonder how they handle such cases.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ...I thought you said that it was taken down on TS, its still up.

Also id do a search for Grokodaemon and see how many other places he selling your shit. Also remove your links to the files. Its not safe to do so, it hasn't been for years.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Grokodaemon isn't the guy. The stolen models were taken down and if you read carefully, it says:
    The product that you requested is no longer available for sale. Below is a product that you might be interested in.
    The culprit, as posted earlier, is some guy named "Stu_da_moo"
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    You mean stuart david bermingham that is his real name now go handle it if you want.

http://www.youtube.com/user/stuthemoo

Sucks man take him to court teach that 16 year old a lesson.

Glad turbosquid took action, but it seems as if the link dekard supplied also has your material (didn't reallylook), I also agree remove the models this is probably happening outside of the states also, on ru sites.

Hope it works out for you.
  • stuthemoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys,

You probably didn't expect me to reply on this forum...
    Before you bombard me with abuse (I know I deserve) read this first:

Turbo Squid didn't take the product down, they didn't even contact me about it.
    I took the product down willingly, before I found this topic (and this entire forum),
    but after someone called "Snowfly" contacted me on another forum about the product. The product had no sales as it had only been up for a few days (5 I think).

Your all right and I'm sorry. I don't want to get a bad reputation on the net or from developers etc.
    and I defiantly don't want to be kicked off Turbo Squid for good either.

I was just trying to earn a little more income. :(
    Please forgive my mistakes, I'm still quite young and have a long way to go.

I'll be as honest as possible from now on.
    Sorry Lonewolf. It was a bad idea doing what I did and I know nothing said
    here justifies what I did and I can assure you it'll never happen again. :\

I'll only ever sell 100% my own work again, thanks,
    Stuart
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Stu, welcome to Polycount! Is your email not hosted at paradise.net.nz?
    I tried to contact you when I saw this thread too, glad to see snowfly's attempt worked :)

It was nice of you to come here and apologize like that, and I forgive you (not that I really had anything to do with any of this act :p)
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Snowfly puts the fear of jesus into us all, his tentacles of justice reach long, long ways!

Aside from that, well good to show up and apologize, still you could know its a bad idea to sell stuff you didn't make, wether someone found out about it or not. There's no excuse for such things, and polycount does have a way of hunting offenders down.

Things like this can follow a person for a long time if they are looking to get into this industry. But you owned up, atleast you have the balls to do that, so props for apologizing. (even if it is just a common thign to do really) Let it be a lesson.

And, since you found your way to polycount, and want to better your ways and all that, well I suppose, stick around. Make stuff, show us all how you build things from scratch and improve so there's no need to do the thing you did when you need to make cash.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    stuthemoo wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

You probably didn't expect me to reply on this forum...
    Before you bombard me with abuse (I know I deserve) read this first:

Turbo Squid didn't take the product down, they didn't even contact me about it.
    I took the product down willingly, before I found this topic (and this entire forum),
    but after someone called "Snowfly" contacted me on another forum about the product. The product had no sales as it had only been up for a few days (5 I think).

Your all right and I'm sorry. I don't want to get a bad reputation on the net or from developers etc.
    and I defiantly don't want to be kicked off Turbo Squid for good either.

I was just trying to earn a little more income. :(
    Please forgive my mistakes, I'm still quite young and have a long way to go.

I'll be as honest as possible from now on.
    Sorry Lonewolf. It was a bad idea doing what I did and I know nothing said
    here justifies what I did and I can assure you it'll never happen again. :

I'll only ever sell 100% my own work again, thanks,
    Stuart

I say roast the guy. He'd never come here to apologize if he didn't know he was busted, and this apology seems quite insincere to me. I'm also wondering how many of his other pieces are his own and not someone else's.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stuthemoo wrote: »
    I took the product down willingly.... after someone called "Snowfly" contacted me on another forum about the product.

Would you have taken the product down if it was selling well? Or if Snowfly hadn't contacted you?
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    t4paN wrote: »
    I say roast the guy.

/sign
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Roast mode on. Found where possibly some other prick was selling it somewhere else. Looks like he added it 3 years ago.

http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=15016

'edit' Dekard beat me to it, and its another prick.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you have taken the product down if it was selling well? Or if Snowfly hadn't contacted you?

Who is going to say no to that? Would you forgive him if he said yes?

Its fun asking rhetorical questions.

Of course he'd never come here if he wasn't busted, but the fact is he was busted. And people learn from their mistakes. At least smart ones anyway :)

Now he'll either really stop doing it, or learn to use an alias which will inevitably be caught again. And when someone finds a connection between his real id and his alias, then it'll be much harder to forgive. But until then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

8FtSpider wrote: »
    Roast mode on. Found where he was selling it somewhere else. Looks like he added it 3 years ago.

http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=15016

8ftspider, this Grokodaemon ain't even the criminal we are talking about. Please read the thread properly before trying to burn people. In fact Grokodaemon hasnt even been proven to be guilty of any crimes yet and people here are still mistaking him for a criminal. The internet is great :/
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Please read the thread properly before trying to burn people.

I don't care enough to read a thread on a forum 'properly'. I must have the person who made this distinction on ignore. Excuse the shit out of me for missing the post stating there were multiple pricks stealing his models.

Seriously, man, you can go fuck yourself.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't care enough to read a thread on a forum 'properly'. I must have the person who made this distinction on ignore. Excuse the shit out of me for missing the post stating there were multiple pricks stealing his models.

Maybe there are multiple people stealing lonewolfs stuff, but Grokodaemon isn't one of them. Or maybe he did download lonewolfs model and then altered it a lot, who knows.

Going by the images alone though, you definitely can't say Grokodaemon stole the model from lonewolf, theres substantial differences in the modelling especially in the scope area.
    The only reason people can jump to conclusions so easily is because its the same type of gun so obviously it should be no surprise that they look similar in shape.

edit: oh wow, just found out you really can ignore people on these forums :D learn something new everyday
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12

Classy, ignorance is bliss I suppose?:poly142: