Home General Discussion

Forza Motorsport III

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
It's been announced baby! I've been hard at work on this for the past year, along with PaK.

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/default.htm

948030_20090601_screen005.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • Keg
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one gents.

I've had a hankering for a racing game lately. Any suggestions in the meantime?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    w00t, nice one :D cant wait. when is it out ?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson wrote: »
    Nice one gents.

I've had a hankering for a racing game lately. Any suggestions in the meantime?

Forza 2? ^_^

Depends on what kind of racing you like, I suppose. If you want something similar to Forza, GT5 Prologue is okay if you have a PS3.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Desperatly looking forward to this one. Keep up the good work:)

Not sure about the trailer, but i hope we can make the game as "sim" like as the old one by turning off all the extra help stuff.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Please please. Can you still paint cars?

Oh man I would give Geoff Hills right leg if I could use a template on Vista and Photoshop and export / upload to my xbox live account and download skins. OH MAN that would make this Best Game EVER!!!
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Day one buy! At midnight baby. I still play Forza2 to this day. Best racing game ever. Hands down. Looks amazing man, can't wait!
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    nice job golden boy :p
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    definitely one of the top microsoft announcements, congrats!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Forza 2 or Race driver Grid :X
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Jesse there is a whole lot of car painting. Most of the segment actually was about painting cars! They showed people in custom garage shops using forza to do concept designs for cars before they actually apply the paint! haha.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Jesse there is a whole lot of car painting. Most of the segment actually was about painting cars! They showed people in custom garage shops using forza to do concept designs for cars before they actually apply the paint! haha.

Yeah but is it the same system as with Forza 2? I mean I want to paint in photoshop and upload to my profile. Now that would be amazing and totally new.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooooo. ill be getting this for sure. i got forza 2 and it was pretty sweet, except i bought it like 2 years after it came out so there was nobody playing online.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Forza 2 or Race driver Grid :X

GRID for me :) more fun and sense of speed felt better. I bought forza 2, barely played it, spent more time in the painting section than the game. lol
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is it...we've come to it. you literally cant see the polygons on the car models. the rear tail lights of that ferrari are perfectly round....
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, blue leader f'd up. did he died?
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice work to you guys at Turn10 - Everything is looking great!
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Still more of a GT fan, Hoping car graphics and the driving feel are leaps and bounds than forza 2.

Quite interested on what Forza 3 will hafta over looking at those road courses :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great! I'm glad you can finally pimp some of this off =)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I'm envious of the fools at E3, they get to try it out in a 3 screen setup... gonna have to get a third xbox....
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    I'm envious of the fools at E3, they get to try it out in a 3 screen setup... gonna have to get a third xbox....

We also have 3 full hydrolic rigs setup there :)
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    liked fm2, will get fm3, at least give me a reason to bust out the wheel again.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if the in cabin view looks and feels better than PGR, then i will definitely buy it, just for that fact.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is out/coming out next Tuesday! I can't wait. Some people may boo hoo this but this is my most anticipated game of 2009.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    this is kinda neat, I will be doing the canadian release party with my car club, taking press and public out on a closed course in my car :D I'll get a chance to play it tomorrow I think so I can relate to people what real life is vs the forza physics.

Reallly I just want to try and make people yak when they get out of my car. :D
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    My number two most anticipated game of this year next to MW2. Can't wait for Tuesday :)
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    what do you drive Sir-Knight? Sounds like a cool event

I am going to run out and buy this asap; I've been dying for a replacement for GT5:P since my ps3 died (with fingers crossed that this one wont massively handicap all american cars...)

The whole 'mod your car with actual purchasable parts' thing is pretty interesting to me...the thought of putting mods I'm actually considering for my car on and testing them out is pretty incredible. Though it's hard to say how realistic/accurate the portrayal could be the prospect is still interesting enough to remain optimistic.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    why can't they fix the taillight shader's?, it bugged from fz 2 >.<

Think I'll hold off this one for awhile. Demo makes me feel disconnected with the car in comparison to Shift, which feels like I'm going in a blaze of glory.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf wrote: »
    why can't they fix the taillight shader's?, it bugged from fz 2 >.<

Think I'll hold off this one for awhile. Demo makes me feel disconnected with the car in comparison to Shift, which feels like I'm going in a blaze of glory.

I hated shift. I hated how you tap a wall and your head like goes into the steer wheel... it MAY be realistic... but it is hellah annoying.

Anyway I'm dropping $80 on Limited Edition... anyone else doing that too? :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got my free limited edition yesterday ^_^

8124_1170678382138_1083330248_30439597_3551407_n.jpg

Lots of finishing touches since I left the studio in May. Not to be biased, but I think the game came out really amazing.

The thing that really impresses me (although some may not care/notice) is how farken FAST the new UI is. They load the whole thing into memory so it's just butter.
    In Forza2 when you bought upgrades for instance, you heard a "cha-ching" then the whole UI just chugged for 3-4 seconds. Now it's just silky smooth and lightning fast - very very cool. The final lighting, audio and livery stuff are also incredible.

Some people have complained about silly things. Like the player sits too far back from the steering wheel. Or believe it or not, the "hands" in the cockpit view don't have a shift animation. In reality when driving a race car, the driver sits up close and straight with the wheel. As for the shift animation - come on, if you're playing the game as you should are you really noticing the lack of an animation? Simple fact was they couldn't get it to look good by the time the deadline came, so it was cut.

To address graphical issues, it's a matter of give and take. Sure, we could add more post processing, more AA (using 2xAA as it is, but there are still some jaggies), motion blur, etc. If that was done, you'd get 30fps, not the blazing 60fps we have.

I hope you all enjoy the game though. Lots and lots of hard work involved by a great many people. :D
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    can't wait to pick mine up on Tuesday :)

Any idea why the forza team didn't go all out in the cockpit like in NFS: Shift? Their cockpit looked amazing in comparison.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All being well, picking up a 63" plasma today and hooking up my 360 to it with hdmi... and then this comes out next week. :D
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Flaagan, very nice.

I have the limited edition pre-ordered as well. I really would love seeing the top gear track in forza 3. It's dlc I would gladly spend the points on.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg wrote: »
    Flaagan, very nice.

I have the limited edition pre-ordered as well. I really would love seeing the top gear track in forza 3. It's dlc I would gladly spend the points on.

YES YES YES!
    Top GEAR!

I have seasons 4-13!!!!!

So good!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean by all out, lee? It's all fully modeled, so.. ?
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    another game going on my wishlist.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Vassago wrote: »
    I got my free limited edition yesterday ^_^

8124_1170678382138_1083330248_30439597_3551407_n.jpg

Or believe it or not, the "hands" in the cockpit view don't have a shift animation. In reality when driving a race car, the driver sits up close and straight with the wheel. As for the shift animation - come on, if you're playing the game as you should are you really noticing the lack of an animation? Simple fact was they couldn't get it to look good by the time the deadline came, so it was cut.

:D

Fack i didn't know there was a limited edition and now everyone exceeded there pre-order limit :( Is there anyway i can get the exclusive cars in the pre-order any other way?

also that shift animation actually bugged me a little but not enough for me to lose my excitement for the game :P
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg wrote: »
    I really would love seeing the top gear track in forza 3. It's dlc I would gladly spend the points on.

Seriously.

Though I wonder if that "day 1 airport" track has any similarities... :poly121:
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I actually prefer the chase-cam view for car games. I think it's mainly cause none of them give a proper field of view (even in widescreen mode) for it to feel right for me.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae - there are 3 free car packs in the LE box. I think only one of them can be had by non-LE owners, which is the Legendary Car Pack (classics). The other two, the Exclusive Car Pack and the Collectors Edition Car Pack are only for LE owners I think. People might be able to sell the collectors edition cars (10 cars hand-painted by Turn10 to show off Forza's colors) on the storefront. Also, I just pretend the driver is paddle-shifting :P

Flaagan - I don't know about Top Gear so I'm not sure what that track is like. But test track download is a high speed ring, with an open area inside of it to drive in. It's got obstacles and such.
    What you mentioned about the cockpit view is why Turn10 put the camera closer to the wheel - so you get more visual on the road. In games like Shift, the FOV is so far back that you see far more car than road, which is stupid.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer the wider FOV for passing and such as much as anything, especially since games like Forza punish your for bumping. A hard camera-snap to the right or left for when you want to glance around is rather jarring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_Test_Track :)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Just wondering. I´m a lousy car sim-player and more of the arcadey-breed. Will this game offer anything for me? I dabbled in the first one but it was to hardcore. Changing suspension and engine-stuff is to in depth for me.

PS: I actually do like car games though.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notorious - very much so, yes. I'm not big on tuning things myself, either. I just buy upgrades, which, they even made that easier if you like.

Some of the new player features (which can be disabled by us vets):

1-button driving
    - you hold gas and drive. The game will break and change gears for you

Rewind
    - Just like it is in other games. Rewinds if you crash or whatever. Can be used unlimited amount of times, but your race times will not be ranked on the leaderboards with those who didn't use it

Storefront
    - You can now purchase tuning setups that have been made by hardcore players. Pay some credits and you get a tuning setup that breaks records - VERY cool

Quick Upgrade
    - Select your car, choose a race then press Quick Upgrade to let the game optimize upgrades for your car and the race you've selected. It will give you a side by side readout of the old car and one with new upgrades. You can then pay for the upgrades right there, without leaving the race select screen

We still have all the old assists as well, traction control, antilock brakes, etc. Which can be enabled/disabled whenever you want.

Flaagan - I'd like the FOV to be a bit wider as well in the cockpit tbh, but I do like having it closer to the wheel so I can see more road. Problem right now is that the FOV is so shallow it's hard (for me at least) to get any sense of depth on the road surface, so I find myself turning too early or too late. I use hood cam right now.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    The upgrades you mentioned, storefront and quick upgrades sounds like things i will appreciate alot. I´ll look into this then more seriously then! I don´t have access to my xbox right now though but by the time it´s out in europe I probably will. :)

1 button driving is a bit to casual for my taste hehe :)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any word on whether there's an "The Easy Way Out" achievement for using 1 button driving? :D
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol Flaagan - there might be, but i haven't tried it so I don't know :P

Maybe I'll bear the pain and try it something. hehe
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    congrats mayn. I noticed the lack of animation on the steering wheel right away when I played the demo a while back, heh. It actually did bother me though. I guess because if it's a sim, it should simulate everything.

The game looks great, but honestly it's not for me, I'll stick to dirt 2. I guess it's just because of how stiff everything feels and it doesn't feel as intense for me, even in the dashboard view.
  • SyedS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been a fan of this series since I first put my hands on it. I tried the Forza 3 demo and loved every second of it. The graphics are amazing and I love the drift system this time (points). I'll definitely be picking this up sooner or later.

Just have to say that the team did a splendid job at making the best racing simulator ever.