Home General Discussion

Terminator: Salvation

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
I just got back from the midnight showing. This movie is kick ass, and needs to be seen. The CGI in this movie is among the best I've ever seen. there were several parts during the movie where i thought i was playing fallout 3.

I won' say anything else.

Just go see it and experience the awe.

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I'd imagine the CG is good, but It can't be anywhere NEAR as good as fallout 3's graphics.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Shadow = better.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for serious though, being a 12a (in england, i guess that's like pg13 in the states?) is a huge copout/sellout to me. i almost boycotted it for that reason, as to me any film that gets that rating is due to be at least half understood by people of that age group. which means it won't be either as complex, or as violent (yes i liked the violence) as the first two.

having the name Terminator attached means it needs 3 things:
    1. complex wtf paradoxies
    2. lots of assplosions, assploding people, dead cops, dudes who get thrown head first into walls, dudes getting assassinated, old ladys getting shot in the face for being born "sarah connor".
    3. arnold.

only one of those three looks to be happening here, and even that one can't be all that good due to the age rating.

any comment on that?
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    I heard Arnold is there.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    ... Hahaha, just got back from the midnight showing. The bulk of the movie was "alright" at best, but the ending... the ending was the worst fucking thing ever.

Two words ruin anything else good about this movie...

"Take mine"

Man, whoever was writing that shit needs to have some common sense slapped into em.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I lost my interest after the trailer's:

"-What are you?
    -Dunno"

If there's atleast a little bit of decent Arnold in i will go and watch it.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I really want this to be good gonna see it this Saturday with the Mrs.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    I'd imagine the CG is good, but It can't be anywhere NEAR as good as fallout 3's graphics.

the sarcasm....it hurts
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    |Buddy| wrote: »
    I lost my interest after the trailer's:

"-What are you?
    -Dunno"

If there's atleast a little bit of decent Arnold in i will go and watch it.

arnold is played by another austrian, and his lines are dubbed over afterward. guess trying to make him look young?

meh. going with my girlfriend soon, but not hoping for a lot.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will probably go watch it the weekend after. Can't stand the crowds at openings.

PLEASE NO SPOILERS!!

As much as I like Christian Bale, in a battle of Arnold vs. Bale, it's a Arnold hands down.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked it...

but something about it doesn't sit well with me... I'll have to think about it.

Maybe the whole thing felt rushed and a bit... empty?
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    One of the things I noticed in the trailer was how desaturated and kinda dry the explosions looked. I guess it fits the style but it looks kind of odd.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arnold is played by another austrian, and his lines are dubbed over afterward. guess trying to make him look young?

meh. going with my girlfriend soon, but not hoping for a lot.

Wasn't he supposed to be CG'ed in?
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking about it.
    If I think of this movie as part of a whole, I like it better, but alone, not very much. It was missing some depth in the character development, but perhaps that's just because the characters have already been built up in the past movies.
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike_Carlyle polycounter lvl 17
    i saw the midnight showing last nite, and i thought it was awesome, i thought there was gonna be alittle more timeline / storyline stuff.. but still what was giving i thought was awesome... sure the whole marcus thing, and how that ended was alittle wierd at best... but for trying throw another story angle in there beside what was already set in stone from the previous films / mythology, i can respect the attempt... over all, summer block buster.. awesome to see terminator alive and well, and i thought the arnold stuff was sweet.. loved the feel and environments / mood... cant wait for the other 2 following films...
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    We had to make a day of it at Carbine, they bought us all tickets to go see it.

Great movie...till the end. sigh.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, agreed the 'twist' ending with the irony blah blah etc felt really tacked on. I thoroughly enjoyed it as a "Terminator" movie though, it even passed the wife's high standards for all things terminator... even down to John Conners scars.. lol

Yeah Arnold's CG face was pretty well done.. he had no lines in the movie we saw..

I liked it much better then I liked Star Trek, Star Trek felt it was a lot weaker in that it felt emptier...to me..imho...

All in all, I'd see it again with no hesitations. Well worth the price of admission, I think McG Terminators were tons more aggressive and scarier then the previous incarnations. If you set it up against the previous movies, I don't think you'll be let down.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    just saw it. overall pretty cool, the desaturated, dry look was pretty cool, and the explosions and action were pretty dope. I agree with the empty feeling there was little character development in both conner or marcus.

bales acting felt a little forced at times, but not too bad. I really liked the post judgement day setting, in day for once too which was a nice change from the cameronesque blue tinted night scenes from the 1st 2. also the dynamici of few vs many was a bit of a change from the hunter hunted style of the 1st 3 films, like skanker said something about it left me feeling...........weird. I liked it but something about it was just strange.

some things felt a little too convenient or tacked on but overall it was a cool action film. the ending was kinda lame like every review \ you dudes said although im sure most of you guys know why if not just do a little digging online.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't like it much. This is coming from a huge terminator fan.

The dialogue was terrible. It almost seemed like George Lucas wrote this movie.

It never seemed like there was a true "climax" to me in this movie. The whole blowing up the Skynet facility by blowing up those tiny little things of nuclear power was just freaking STUPID.

What the HELL was the point of having the t-800 arnold in it? He just freaking randomly showed out of nowhere. It just seemed like McG wanted to have him in there as an homage to the originals...and I thought it failed miserably.

Christian Bale sucks. I seriously can't stand his voice anymore. I used to like the guy, but I can't take his acting anymore. Sam Worthington was amazing.

I was let down by how Skynet and how Earth after judgment day was portrayed. It didn't seem "dark enough" if you know what I mean. T1 and T2 portrayed it much differently. I guess what I am trying to say was Skynet didn't seem so damn scary anymore =(
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    John Connor still listens to Guns N Roses!!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    saw it last night, movie was fucking terrible. Except the motorcycle bots, those were cool.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Like Dekard, I liked it more than Star Trek. I was able to suspend my disbelief during this one unlike any of Star Trek. The end 1/4 was pretty lame and was even a bit boring, but I still liked it.

Of the 7 of us that went last night, only 2 of us liked it.

One thing that I recently realized before seeing this (and one of the main reasons I DID see it), is that I really like bleak/serious movies. I can't stand the big action movie interspersed with comedic lines and gags every few minutes. It just ruins the suspense and atmosphere. Sad thing is that is the trend all of these movies are now, so it's refreshing to see a movie that doesn't resort to this (well, not much).
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ilm did a freakin awesome job, but i think on the whole the writing and dialogue was horrendous. Props to Kyle Reese tho whose rediculous real name escapes me at the moment.

-Woog
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    buncha haters.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I thought the movie was awesome.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    it was no terminator 2 but it was alright. Didnt really have much up n down pacing like T2, this was just pure non stop action. The Arnie terminator made me laugh
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Saw it, loved it. Definitely something to go see if you get the chance or have the time. I've read all the criticism and people just need to learn to enjoy things!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yup critics were off on this one, definitely a good movie. Quickly forgotten no doubt, but on par with something like transformers.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    aesir, you realize by saying that, you have just made that movie that much worse with that comparison to more than a few here. ;)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    aesir wrote: »
    yup critics were off on this one, definitely a good movie. Quickly forgotten no doubt, but on par with something like transformers.

wow, what an oxymoron! "It's Great! Just like Transformers!"
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    pfft, come on guys. I didn't say it was great. I said it was good. Transformers was a good action flick too regardless of the mounds of annoying bullshit.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    I don't remember the last time I looked at my watch half-way through a movie anxious for it to end.

I dunno, I guess CGI doesn't excite me much anymore. Everything in this movie was so clich
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    raped in the face..........o so empty
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »
    pfft, come on guys. I didn't say it was great. I said it was good. Transformers was a good action flick too regardless of the mounds of annoying bullshit.
    Yeah, but from a critical point of view Transformers was heads and tails better than T4. Seriously, Transformers was able to make mostly coherent and logical sense, and it followed it's own rules. It wasn't great by means of deep plot or anything, but it was atleast solid.

T4 was not. The logical falacies were huge, it went against it's own world at times, it did a terrible job of hiding obvious plot devices meant to tug at heart strings, etc...

Honestly, it was pretty terrible. It's been a while since I've actually felt embarassed while watching a movie because the writing is so bad. The end of T4 was that bad. :P
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Maaan...what's up with all the hate on Transformers?!? ;)

I actually liked this movie, along with Transformers. I guess my standards are just that low :P
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    This Movie Kicked ass. It didn't change my life, it just kicked ass and was fun to watch. LIKE THESE TYPE OF MOVIES ARE SUPPOSED TO DO.
    Not only that, but it got my imagination going, which is always a huge plus.
    All you haters need to stop putting old shit on such a high pedestal. New shit is cool too. I bet you'll like this and Transformers when it's 20 years old.

I loved the parts with Marcus and Kyle Reese. I was much more engrossed with their struggle. Christian Bale was convincing for his part, and I dug how he portrayed John Connor.
    But The concept behind the Character of Marcus was Awesome.
    I hope they make two more and then finish the story line.....

....Then they can make Aliens Vs. Predator Vs. Terminator.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I enjoyed this movie for the most part, at leas it was way better than T3 and way better than Transformers. not a great movie, but then after t3 i knew this wasn't going to be anything good.

Wait did I just say I thought it sucked. LOL Better than t3 and transformers, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! How can I say that, no freaking shaky cam bs that didn't let me see the transformers fight, I can't wait for the second one to come, because it can't be worse than the first one right! Right....

Then they can make Aliens Vs. Predator Vs. Terminator... Josh that be hott!!! I hope the make AVP3 maybe in the third attempt they can figure out how to make it not suck!
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    yeah the movie was a face rape! of awesomeness !!!! just felt empty at the end......but there will be more im sure :)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it on Friday. The plot of this movie was disappointing. I would have said that it was "very" disappointing, but I haven't expected much from the Terminator plot lines since the second film. By the end of T2, the writers had essentially worked their way into a logical fallacy. It is theoretically impossible to alter the future if the main character's existence depends on a future event. They spent the entire third film correcting this lapse in logic. And unfortunately, the fourth film also focused on this. I think it would have been much more intriguing if they focused more on exploring the Marcus character, and what really defines humanity.

Instead they attempted to portray a machine as being far too clever than it has any right being. I have trouble believing that humanity can create an artificial intelligence that can match us in sheer bastardry.

I did love the graphics, especially whenever you got to see the Terminators in action. I don't get people saying that those things were less intimidating because there were more of them. I thought they managed to capture the menace of bloody-minded machinery quite well.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to say I really thought it was terrible. Sure the cg and explosions were nice but there was no story, nothing was explained and I just felt bored the whole time ever though there was non stop explosions. I thought star trek was a much better film.
  • Thefirston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thefirston polycounter lvl 9
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • Stubbs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    T4 was cool and worth seeing, but I agree that it felt empty and the lack of character development definitely hurt it. It was better than 3 but didn't hold a candle to T2, although expecting it to be comparable to 2 is a rather high expectation. Christian Bale makes a good John Connor in some ways but at the same time throughout T4 he was very boring and very predictable, in T2 and even in T3 at least he had some personality, in this one not so much.

In my opinion the Terminator series should have stayed under James Cameron's control. There should have only been a sequel after T2 if he wanted to make it. There is a very noticeable difference in quality and atmosphere between Cameron's work and everything that came after it. Even the Terminator 3-D attraction at Universal Studios which was made by Cameron applies to this. Sure there were some cheesy parts and dated 3-D but it actually seemed relevant and flowed with Cameron's earlier work on the series. T3 and T4 don't flow and really don't seem all that necessary or relevant to me. I personally feel that Cameron's movies were made for artistic reasons beyond just making money and appealing to a fan base who are willing to pay that money, whereas T3 and T4 exist really just because people wanted to cash in.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    hahaha....that new trailer is hilarious.

"...and most of all, eating all of our sand."
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, fallout 3 was a great game, but if this movie looks anything like it, i refuse to watch it.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say personality, dialogue, and facial expressions are up to extremely high standard fallout 3 sets for the characters in the universe.

/s
  • [Deleted User]
    I thought it was a good movie. Except for the plot. If anyone was honestly surprised at any point by the story or dialogue, they probably slept through the part preceding it.

Also, if anything ever deserved to become a meme, it's "Take mine. Everyone deserves a second chance."
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I thought it was a good movie. Except for the plot.

What! Haha.
  • [Deleted User]
    pior wrote: »
    What! Haha.
    Yeah... that was the intended reaction :D