Home General Discussion

Terminator: Salvation

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Kaskad wrote: »
    Also, if anything ever deserved to become a meme, it's "Take mine. Everyone deserves a second chance."

Hahaha, glad I'm not the only one who thought that was the craziest goddamn quote. I agree, that is totally begging for a meme.

And the Transforminators trailer was awesome!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with what's been said, but what I found to be truly disappointing, was how LITTLE they took from the lore. The previous movies (T1+2) have done so much to set up the future, and they pretty much discarded all of it.

In the first movie, Reese talks about the first Terminators having rubber skin, and being easy to spot. Then they upgraded to the Arnold version. And that the resistance used Dogs to sniff out the terminators. But Skynet has this "prototype" which shows human emotions, and can obviously blend in with humans FAR better than the Arnold version. I was hoping for the more robotic Arnold version (even if it was a different person) to be shown more.

We've also seen a few scenes in the previous movies, showing LOTS of robots driving/hovering/walking over mounds of human bones. They did a couple of little homages to that (T-600 stepping on a skull) but not enough imo. I was also pretty disappointed that Reese is a child in this movie. He's obviously 30 something when he gets sent back to the past, and I thought in the first movie he says John Connor sends him back. I guess that's all what T5 is going to be. . . ugh.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah TumerBoy, This is like the Beginning of the War. Connor isn't even the real leader of the resistance yet. Also they did show the First terminators with the rubber skin, It was always just melted off.
    Also,
    But Skynet has this "prototype" which shows human emotions, and can obviously blend in with humans FAR better than the Arnold version

To me it seemed as though Marcus was a failed experiment. He was Human First with a human brain and heart, rather than a t-800 wrapped in human flesh. So Marcus was technically a Cyborg, rather than a Full Fledged Terminator. He even had the free will to rip out his own goddamn Chip out of his head. So yeah Failed experiment for Skynet.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    marcus was also a 'one off'
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Haven't seen it yet, but he's creating a stupid paradox.

If John dosen't send back Reese, will Skynet exist?

:/

No arm or chip sticking out of a hydraulic press for Cyberdine to study.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fair enough Josh, I guess I'm just sad that this movie was in between the two movies I WANT to see, 1) John Connor turning from punk kid into badass leader (at this point he's not in total charge, but he's world famous and obviously already leads a lot of people.) and 2) 2029 with piles of skulls, lasers, etc.

Jox. It's not about Reese going back. Reese was sent back as a response to Skynet sending the T-800 back. If reese DOESN'T go back, the T-800 is still there, and I'm sure would eventually end up in Cyberdine's hands.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Stubbs wrote: »
    T4 was cool and worth seeing, but I agree that it felt empty and the lack of character development definitely hurt it. It was better than 3 but didn't hold a candle to T2, although expecting it to be comparable to 2 is a rather high expectation. Christian Bale makes a good John Connor in some ways but at the same time throughout T4 he was very boring and very predictable, in T2 and even in T3 at least he had some personality, in this one not so much.

In my opinion the Terminator series should have stayed under James Cameron's control. There should have only been a sequel after T2 if he wanted to make it. There is a very noticeable difference in quality and atmosphere between Cameron's work and everything that came after it. Even the Terminator 3-D attraction at Universal Studios which was made by Cameron applies to this. Sure there were some cheesy parts and dated 3-D but it actually seemed relevant and flowed with Cameron's earlier work on the series. T3 and T4 don't flow and really don't seem all that necessary or relevant to me. I personally feel that Cameron's movies were made for artistic reasons beyond just making money and appealing to a fan base who are willing to pay that money, whereas T3 and T4 exist really just because people wanted to cash in.

Pretty much agree with all your points here. Cameron set the bar so high, and his vision, his interpretation, whatever you want to call it IS terminator. Anything else just pales into comparison to me.

Also, Bale is cool n everything but seriously....there can only be one John Conner

MichaelEdwards004.jpg
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    I just saw the movie. Have to at least say that it was better than T3. I agree with alot of what is being said here. I miss the dark, gritty feel and environment of the future portrayed by James Cameron in T1 and T2. Where were those dogs that sniff out the terminators? And where is that huge tank looking robot thing? I wish they showed more of the war-torn cities instead of empty deserts.

I did like the CG Anorld. They did a great job on the model, making him look real and exactly like him from T1. Wish they showed Conner fighting him more at the end..
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    terminator knows the truth. you're all assholes, and deserve to die.
    hail terminator!
  • [Deleted User]
    clee101 wrote: »
    Wish they showed Conner fighting him more at the end..
    Speaking of which,
    Arnold makes it through like four direct grenade impacts, having lava poured on him, being encased in obsidian, and getting shot in the face repeatedly. But Marcus can take some rebar and just rip his head off?
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i havent seen this yet --- but terminator 2 is one of my all time favs (bike shotgun scene = winz)

however!!!

chex0rz this outz! [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000116/

james cameron baby
    terminator 5
    can this be true?!?!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Probably not shotgun. :(
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes they're making T5, but I'm pretty sure McG is directing again. Cameron is probably just Exec Producer or something.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    Yes they're making T5, but I'm pretty sure McG is directing again. Cameron is probably just Exec Producer or something.

Booooo.....
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    oh man, i bet in the next one, they befriend and reprogram arnold! and then send him back in time! but during that, they meet the T1000!!!! and then HE goes back in time. After the mysterious plot twist with the sexy female soldier who turns out to be a big-eyed crazy terminator, SHE goes back in time! THEN .. hrm TIME PARADOX
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nonsense, before any of that, he has to send Reese back in time after discovering that Skynet has already sent (evil) Arnold back.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I had more fun with screamers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114367/

Good movie if you haven't seen.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLLwtcOB6i8[/ame]

It just wasn't dark enough. The cheaped out on the budget so shot in the desert versus sound stage where they could create the dark cities (hello the earth would be in twilight or darkness because of all the nukes).

The little girl? Annoying "humanity". If they really wanted to say something. They should have made her a prototype. In fact I kept expecting her to turn. She was so silent like a terminator.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It is largely pointless to complain about time paradoxes regarding the Terminator series. The very first Terminator movie set up a glaring paradox in John Conners very existence. The second movie, though obviously awesome, worsened the paradox by having the main characters attempt to change a future that had to be. (if they had succeeded in preventing the war, John Conner would have ceased to be) The third movie corrected the error in logic from the second movie, by moving the war forward despite the characters' attempts to thwart it in the past.

And this latest movie is just riddled with glaring plot holes.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Actually no, it depends on how you see time paradoxes. If time is set with one timeline only, then yes, T3 had to happen. If timelines can split into separate existences then T2 could exist. I believe Cameron believed in the second, and further more meant for T2 to end the series on a hopeful note.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Don't forget that the Skynet from T1 is different from the Skynet of T2 and T3, therefore explaining the differences in future terminator tech.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I really enjoyed it, although I felt act 2 was boring and I was dying for the film to end by the end of it. I also started thinking about Aliens-vs-Predators-Terminators :D

One thing though. Why was Connor surprised at Terminators encased in skin? Didn't he meet the arnie terminator when he was a kid?
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    man this movie was a let down. It had so much going for it.:poly127:
    I think w/ the terminator movies you gotta just forget the logical theories behind time and space, and just go with it.
  • Shinsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinsen polycounter lvl 9
    i really liked the movie, but its true that now that I think about it, I beleive there was somehow a lack of content or just not enough character developpement.

Still, I really enjoyed it and I recommend it :thumbup:
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    If cyborg dude had just sacrificed himself by staying behind to hold off the T-800 while the factory was blowing up the movie would have been watchable. We all knew he to do the dramatic giving his life up for Connor bit, but did they have to do it in such a stupid stupid way?

And one other thing. Why the hell did the humans think that this super advanced computer/robot god would not be capable of monitoring their unencrypted radio broadcasts that reveal all of their secret attack plans and were somehow powerful enough to travel clear around the planet? And if Skynet already had the technology to perfectly replicate any voice why didnt it get on the radio itself and order the resistance around by pretending to be John Connor?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    jrs100000 wrote: »
    And one other thing. Why the hell did the humans think that this super advanced computer/robot god would not be capable of monitoring their unencrypted radio broadcasts that reveal all of their secret attack plans and were somehow powerful enough to travel clear around the planet? And if Skynet already had the technology to perfectly replicate any voice why didnt it get on the radio itself and order the resistance around by pretending to be John Connor?

Why did they send a Terminator back in time twice to kill people that wouldn't even affect the same timeline, but spawn a alternate one? Is skynet that interested in parallel dimensional development, or is the world of Terminator like Back to the Future where John Connor would just fade out as he was playing guitar?

Eh.

Good movie, nowhere near as good as T2, but way better than T3. I'd say it's a good continuation of the franchise.

Except the giant mansnatcher robot, that was stupid. Bike-terminators on the other hand were sweet.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw it a week or so ago. Mediocre watered down family-friendly action movie, despite the nice action sequences it doesn't even stand close to T1 and T2...I thought the story in particular was a huge disappointment.

A very interesting read about the movie, in particular, changes made to the story during production:

http://chud.com/articles/articles/19577/1/EXCLUSIVE-WHAT-WENT-WRONG-WITH-TERMINATOR-SALVATION/Page1.html
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Just saw it.
    I enjoyed it...i just chose to not think about T3 or the issues with the story. The very very ending was pretty lame IMO. However, I'm still hoping to see a cool blue tinted Terminator future. So far T3 and T4 were set more in daylight and it just doesn't look/feel as awesome. Although I did like the T4 Mad Max type vibe in the beginning.
    B
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Saw this last week, I enjoyed it. They should have had a large piece at the beginning showing when Skynet was taking over the world/sending nukes out. Maybe they're saving it for the next one?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    so anyway, after much deliberation, i decided to download rather than go to the cinema. i don't want to feel like i've wasted my money on it (sue me bitches).

here's the thing:
    my girlfriends youngest son, is 7. and he's recently watched T2. he expressed an interest in explodey things, so we let him watch it. sure, we covered up his eyes for him when the T1000 impersonates johns foster mother and stabs the dad in the face. and when he impersonates the security guard and stabs him in the eye. but for the most part, he was happy to watch it.

more than that, he actually formed an emotional bond with Arnie as the terminator. to the point where he fucking cried when the T1000 was beating the crap out of him at the end. we'd just managed to settle him down when he reactivated, and then he blubbed again when he went into the iron pool.

we're very open with the kids here, and we said if he didn't want to watch, just tell us. but he wanted to, he loved it, he then asked me to get my entire Arnie collection out... i chose "family friendly" ones, like Last Action Hero. which he again, loved.

then we watched T3... his response was "that film was okay".
    and then, T4... "that wasn't very good..."

haha. you can't beat the honesty of a child :D