Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steam Punk Racing Project

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
nrek polycounter lvl 14
So the next big project that I am going to be working on in class will be a seam punk racing mod for unreal. My goal is to finish a single large level, 2 cars, and eventually a custom character as well. I plan to shoot for something like f-zero and wipe out but with a steam punk theme.

So here are some vehicle thumbs that I did to try and see where I want to go with the vehicles. As of now Im thinking of further refining #s 3 and 4. If you have any preferences or comments about them I would love to hear them.

carthumbs1.jpg

Here are the parts I made for my rough proof of concept idea in my other class. I have ideas for more shapes and specialty pieces like conveyor sections that would act as boost strips and things. But if anyone has any thoughts on other interesting track sections let me know.

trackparts.jpg

This was my test track, mainly used to find out if I could make the loops work.

racelevel.jpg
By nrek at 2009-04-05

Replies

• tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Anything Steampunk gets my approval.

It's a nice concept, I can just imagine racing through a steampunk styled victorian city. :)

Look forward to hearing more
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    cool idea. track seams way too big ATM. cars would have to go at speed of sound to make physics on big loop even sllightly beleivable.

im imagining your going to go for track sections with a more iron gantry type feel, lots of brick work arches, smoky chimneys etc
  • SnowGhost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowGhost polycounter lvl 11
    I like the concept. As Shepeiro alluded to though I would go for a steampunk-ish environment as well. Maybe theres a way to get some physics interaction with the environment? Think of a racetrack inside of a giant (or part of) a ruth goldberg machine.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    The steampunk vehicles are a thumbs up. The course however, looks like something from trackmania, not steampunk..
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    I think would be really cool is if you could incorporate the track into steam-punk type factory. That way you wouldn't need to render the entire track at once. Actually I can't remember how unreal works with viz and loading textures and stuff. But ne ways, i think by building around buildings,factories..etc... you can build more suspense on the track and give the player a more immersed playing experience. Also think about putting mechanical objects on the track as well. Like maybe switches that raise ramps or shortcuts, real mechanical type of stuff.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Whatever type of victorian era track you're going with, don't forget a lot of shiny brass and statues :P Will be watching this.
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacos. add tacos.
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Looks cool will be interesting to see how this turns out. If you can make game play work well for this then ill be pretty impressed.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    @ tanka - Thanks man glad you approve :poly124:

@ Shepeiro - Yea man the track is pretty huge I will definately scale it back in the real thing. I will probably axe the big loop but maybe keep the little ones since they are more believable. And yea all kinds of iron work and wood planks for the track sections.

@ SnowGhost - Thanks Ghost, I do have some ideas I want to try with moving track sections so we will see what happens.

@ Vassago - Thanks Vassago. That track was just a quick test I did before I settled on doing a steam punk theme. So the new track will definitely have a better look to it. And as for the layout I kinda want to do something like a big wooden coaster but for cars, since to me crazy tracks like that are way more fun then just driving down city streets.

@ oobersli - I really like the idea of putting the track inside a big steam factory. If I can come up with a decent concept for something like that maybe I will go that route.

@ InProgress - Oh there will be shiny brass my friend.

@ VikingJim - Hmm tacos would make the concept phase more enjoyable, but idk how well they would do on the track.

@ turpedo - Thanks man, I really hope I can make this a fun little racing level but if nothing else at least come out of it with a few good looking models.

Ok so thanks again everyone, now for the small update. I got tired of sketching and moved onto putting together a few really rough pre-viz models. Please let me know what you do and dont like about these. I didnt really mess with the front ends as you can tell but it would be a simple axle setup and maybe a cow catcher.

Im kind of holding myself back from throwing tons of pistons and gears on the wheels and motors beacuse I dont really know how I would get them to all work properly in unreal at various speeds and stuff. So I kinda want to keep away from anything to complex like that. But if anyone does have a pretty good understanding of ut3 vehicle code please let me know.

I also have some sketches of booby trap ideas that can be placed on the track. One is a pop up wall and the other would be like a long smoke screen.

radialconcepts.jpg

blockconcepts.jpg

trapsone.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.
  • torontoanimator
    that level design looks pretty enjoyable i have to say:) as for the vehicles, they do look pretty interesting, i just dont know how well old school steam technology would transfer over to a modern racing game ya know? thats just my opinion though, keep up the good work :)
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, this is an awesome idea! I love anything steam as well, and I really see some great ways to a game like this more than just another cart game. I have no comments on your models so far other than I love what you have (great silhouettes), but it would be really awesome to bring basic operation of the steam vehicles into part of the gameplay - Like having to monitor boiler pressure, or being able to customize your machine by tweaking how hot the burners are, or switching out flywheels for more acceleration or top speed... Just some thoughts so! Cant wait to see more progress!

-N

And if I could pull a lever and 'steam-out' the people behind me, that would be incredible ;)
  • misterboogie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    misterboogie polycounter lvl 11
    Very friggin cool! The vehicle designs remind me of the ones seen in SteamBoy. Love the concept!
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you going to make it playable? It would be awesome if you could make it a MOD.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    torontoanimator- I have some ideas on little things I can add to the game to both keep it somewhat logical and still bring in the normal game play elements of a racing/cart game.

Mechadu- Thanks man, glad you like it :). I went with a more standard looking car but still tried to keep it very steamy. I agree it would be cool to be able to switch fly wheels and things for performance but thats a little out of my league lol. But i will make sure there is some form of "steam-out" function.

misterboogie- Thanks, watching steamboy a few times definately helped build up my enthusiams for this project :).

InProgress- Yep its going to be totally playable, if it turns out ok maybe I will toss it up here for you guys to try.

So back to this, I got most of my concept stuff done so I can focus on modeling finally. And I changed up my idea for the level, after doing some research I found out about a real building that was once in London called the Crystal Palace. Its pretty much the exact same as the exhibition building from the movie Steamboy. So I think I am going to make a huge building based off that design and have my racetrack running around in there, in multiple layers like a rollercoaster.

Here are a few of my concept sheets I had to make for my presentation. Im making a gun mainly for the purpose of learning how to get one working in unreal, other then that it has no real point being in the game.

Car concept.
    carturnpagesmall.jpg

Rough car blockout (used to help draw my concept sheet :poly124:)
    carcolorssmall.jpg

Level design elements.
    crystalpalacepagesmall.jpg

Reference of the Crystal Palace, and other things.
    refpagesmall.jpg

Gun design.
    gunorthossmall.jpg

Start of the Highpoly gun
    gunhp.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    looking good. great presentation so far.
  • Okt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okt polycounter lvl 19
    The traps are totally money, after reading the initial post I already started drawing little traps and such thinking about how cool a little racer like this would be. Can't wait to see where this one goes! You could totally do sections of track then you can trigger some steam pistons on that raise a ramp to another section of track, if the road sections were suspended in a nest of support structure it might be cool to be racing against people you could see down on the track below. Might be a cool way to get a real sense of atmosphere across... Not sure how grand, scale wise, you were looking on going with this.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the vehicles and the sketches, eyes peeled!
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, love those presentation pages!!

BTW, you've got some really nice ideas there. Keep em' coming, and keep it going, you've got potential for something awesome here.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    presentation pages are top notch, did you make the models and then use those to get the perspective for the concepts?
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    I luv that presentation keep her up!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking forward to more
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'd better post it up on here as well, or there's going to be some pain involved! lol

Great update, dude.
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    Loving it! I don't like the track from the first post but i'm looking forward :)

nice concepting btw
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    oobersli- Thanks man :)

Okt- Yea man thats definitely a good idea. Another one I had that I want to do is a big disc that sits in the middle and when activated a piston under the track starts spining it, so as ppl pass over it they get turned into walls, racers, wrong directions, etc.

rasmus- Glad you like them, they were pretty fun.

G3L- Thanks, ill try to keep the ideas flowing.

Frubes- Yea after my quick sketches I modeled all the main parts then worked on swaping them in and out to make more variants. Once I found one I liked, I pushed it a little further then printed it out and drew orthos around it with the extra details and stuff.

OBlastradiusO- Thanks dude!

Shepeiro- Good to hear Shep :)

InProgress- Lol Thanks man.

JostVice- Yea that first track was more of an experiment, and after realizing how much fun it was I decided to evolve the idea into what it is now. Glad you like it so far.

Thanks again you guys, your comments are very much appreciated. Here is a small update on the pistol HP, I wasted way to much time fiddling with different methods of doing the designs on the handle :poly122:.

tripshot1.jpg
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work so far, I like the presentation and the latest gun shots looking good!
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the new gun render is looking tight!
  • portergraphic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    portergraphic polycounter lvl 17
    I love this concept. I have always been a big steampunk fan. Keep going!
    There is a replica of the Crystal Palace in Dallas Texas called the Data Center. If you don't have enough reference for the original, there are quite a few pictures of the Dallas version online.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    That last gun render looks sick! I love it. Reminds me of the mauler in Halo 3 but more badass. I admire your modeling/texturing skills. very impressed.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    project is looking really cool man. I would like to offer a suggestion on the bun. The handle is a constant thickness from the base all the hway to the stock. The concept art shows more of a taper, although very slight, toward the top of the handle, I think this would be more ergonomic for the hand to hold. As it is right now, it would be like holding a can of soda with a trigger on it haha :P

looks really awesome though - cheers!
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    X-Convict- Glad you like it man. I owe the look of the last render to your awesome material tut so thanks again.

mLichy- Thanks :)

portergraphic- Thanks for the tip about the Data Center, it was pretty cool seeing a new version of the crystal palace.

GOBEE- As a big Halo fan I will take that as a wonderful compliment :) lol. Thanks for the kind words.

Pope Adam- Thanks dude! I went back in and tapered the handle more, it still might not be very noticeable but let me know what you think.

Ok so im calling the highpoly done and moving on, things are going too slow. I got the lowpoly pretty much done as well. Its sitting at 7,968 tris right now, and I feel horrible putting that many polys into a pistol. But I can't find too many more places to cut out tris without hurting some of the round shapes. Anywhere that I have a hole cut through something I tried to keep the cylinder 16 sided on the side that faces the player POV and then taper it to 8 sided on the opposite side, but if you guys dont think it makes that big of a difference I could just make them all 8 sided and save some tris. So let me know what you think about the low in general and maybe ideas on what should be hacked up even more. Thanks again :).

Short animation of the guns moving parts.
    http://vimeo.com/4722610

tripshot4.jpg

wire1.jpg

wire2x.jpg

wire3.jpg
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovin' the gun. Lot's of tris!
  • geX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    geX polycounter lvl 17
    The cars looks like something from Il tempo gigante. A norwegian cult movie

T%20G%203_2583_big.JPG?1199967497

but that's just cool. That car (and movie) is awesome!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    maybe you have already written it, but i thought its a racing game, whats that super detailed gun for?
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    rasmus- Thanks man, I hope its not toooo many cuz im going to just move on and get this thing into the engine as is.

geX- Thanks for the pic dude, wish I had seen it sooner so I could have taken mine in a different direction :(. O well.

Neox- The main reason im doing the gun is because this whole project is for my protoyping class at school, which is where we learn how to bring custom content like vehicles, weapons, and characters into the engine. And since my custom weapon presentation is coming up I need to get that finished first.
  • speshlboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like to check up on the steampunkworkshop every now and again, its intriguing stuff. Yours is a good concept for a game and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as it progresses.
    Great work so far!

Oh and upon completion its fair to say it would have to be played on one of these...
    ain25-desk.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    @ speshlboy - lol yea man it would be sweet to play on a comp like that.

Soooo long time no update :(. Things have been moving pretty slow on this project but I have made some progress. I got the blockout of the building pretty much done, all the current meshes are just placeholders. I got proof of concept tests done for 5 different events/traps. I brought the polycount on the pistol down to around 6,500 tris and got the normals and AO done for it as well as got it in the engine. I tried to record a play through using camtasia but it has terrible frame rate issues with unreal, so until I get fraps or something these screenshots will have to do. And as a side note, the orange SWITCH signs are just temporary things so that my instructor had a better idea of where my event triggers were. Next up im going to move onto working on the car. Let me know what you guys think.

crystalpalace1.jpg

crystalpalace2.jpg

crystalpalace4.jpg

crystalpalace5.jpg

tripingame.jpg

trapsheet.jpg
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This track looks really promising. Work more! I want to play it already!
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    So I got a video recorded to show a run through of the track and how all the traps are working. Next step is to start work on the highpoly car.

http://vimeo.com/5247205
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would add more cambered corners, and swooping curves, would be far more exciting to race, it is very flat at the mo, a bit like mario kart in style. hard to fit into the design of the crystal palace but would be worth it.

I make alot of drivable surfaces at work and i love playing with shapes to make them fun, try experimenting with more shapes then try and design those into the track

i was imagining more steam powered stuff aswell, animated pistons coming up through the track, massive iron wheels with holes to drive through, basically like an oversized steam powered factory.

im liking the style, colours etc and the gameplay you have so far looks solid, but it seams to be missing the meat of the design.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    So it looks like I need to get around to finishing this thing, so here I am again. Not a very big update but I figured I would show some of the new assets and where the level is going in general. Im having a hard picking colors I like for all the metal supports and junk, so that is very wip still. Any thoughts on the matter of color would be much appreciated. Right now I am torn between the normal white/gray metal that I find in various refs, or more of a drab green metal. The big generator things are only sporting normals and a tinted AO at the moment just fyi.

Other then that I have been working on things like adding more animated parts and updating the statue so it functions like it should. I also worked with a friend to get AI drivers that will race me around the track, so I am pretty happy with that.

Thanks for the ideas Shepeiro, I will definitely try adding in some more interesting curves and things once I know I have a good amount of the buildings textures and major meshes updated. Steam pipes coming soon.

screenshot00048.jpg

screenshot00043x.jpg

statuepresentation.jpg

generatordisplay.jpg

trackrailsup.jpg

globerender.jpg

IMG%5D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice level assets, reminds me of the movie steamboy
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    that statue looks AWESOME!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is looking sweet, looks like your leaving your base textures till last though, get em in.
    also the cross braced texture could do with a little some parrelexing, how about a duel layer mesh with a low res back peice and an alpha'd overlay with the cross braces on
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    love the direction, enjoying the victorian train station style arches and glass
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty sweet, man. If you're having problems choosing colors, try rendering out a couple of normal renders, then an identical set, but with flat colors for the seperate materials. You can just work in photoshop and mess around with different colors/light+dark till you get something you are happy with. Faster to experiment and iterate that way.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    This is awesome.

It started out looking just "kinda cool" and has evolved into "fucking badass"

I'm pretty excited to see how far you take this, I'd love to see it turn into a full game.
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    Great work spencer! That statue really turned out amazing!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    This is turning out awesome, can't wait to see more! :)
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    That is some excellent work man.
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Put me on the list for beta man! This game looks great.