Home Technical Talk

Blender 2.5 Update Posted

Daaark
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Daaark polycounter lvl 17
http://www.blender.org/development/current-projects/blender-25-project/

Just a little update from the Blender guys on Blender 2.5. There's a new screenshot, showing off the new window manager in action, with an overlapped window (new). But the same old problem of cutting off header buttons is also there. I'm going to have to bring that up.

I didn't expect them to move along at this so quickly. Looks like we might have something by the end of the year if they keep up this pace.

Anyways, this was posted for the benefit of my fellow Blender users. I know you are here, I see Blender used in a lot of WIP screenshots. Can we avoid the usual holy wars? :\

Replies

• jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    I would be surprised if it didnt come out before the end of the year. A considerable number of major features are ready/nearly ready to be added and the majority of the existing features are in after only a few months work. In addition, they have to finish 2.5 before Durian can begin, so there is plenty of motivation to call the release 'done' and push anything that doesnt make the cut into 2.51.

Also looking forward to seeing what comes out of Winter Camp as far as UI redesign.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    2.5 will be the first version that will make me explore Blender deeper than before- if all they planned will make it.
    I am really curious regarding the GUI and the mapping of the shortcuts,- hopefully they will include some presets.

other than that,- its always nice to read up some blender news because from a development pace standpoint they are truly impressive it really gets better and better.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    2.5 will be the first version that will make me explore Blender deeper than before- if all they planned will make it.
    I am really curious regarding the GUI and the mapping of the shortcuts,- hopefully they will include some presets.

other than that,- its always nice to read up some blender news because from a development pace standpoint they are truly impressive it really gets better and better.

Sorry I didnt mean for it to sound like they wouldnt get to the core announced development goals before release. I was more thinking that the release would not be held up if one or more of the major but non-core features was not finished. For example the NURBS rewrite, Ngons, GI lighting, volumetrics, ray tracer speedup, addaptive subdivision, image based lighting, projection painting, etc. The core stuff like UI refactor, reworked animation, and new event system would almost assuredly be compleated before 2.5 is released.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Still no triangle counter? *grumble* *grumble*

That said, I can't wait for customisable hotkeys. Finally, no more Alt+M to merge...
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    Still no triangle counter? *grumble* *grumble*
    There is a geometry counter however on the title bar. It's context sensitive too. I'll assume you know that, but a lot of people never see it.

I'm not sure which keys I would remap myself. I've come to like everything as is. The only thing I don't like is the switching between vertex/face/edge modes in EDIT mode, but I use the mouse for that anyways.

I was just about to start learning the current python API to start exporting out my meshes, but it's going to change soon. :\ Maybe I'll have to wait for the new api, and get by with .x exports for now.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only two I plan to change are Alt+M and H. If Im merging vertexes it means that Im using the shift key to select them, and reaching from the left hand shift key all the way to M is a little too far to be comfortable. And that damn H key! Im always hitting it when tring to [G]rab.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Come to think of it, I hate having mouse gestures on, or accidentally starting up the game engine.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Looking forward to all of it. Really enjoying the animation tools as they are right now, so any of the impending improvements will just be sweet sweet gravy to me. I'm comfy with the existing UI too, but look forward to any extra customizing I can do. Will probably leave most of the defaults alone for the most part, unless mouse input remapping is in the cards too - then I'll have to get all silo crazy and tweak that stuff out.

I'd be pretty surprised if they included any presets for other apps though. They'll probably leave that up to the community.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    are there more screenshots of the upcoming UI other than just that one on the roadmap page? If its good I might give blender another try, so far I just use blender as an intermediary to export certain file types.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as the UI goes, you can see pieces of what they have in mind but the final layout wont be decided until Winter Camp next month.

However, I can do you one better than screen shots :)

**Warning - All of these downloads are very much Pre Alpha versions and should not be used for anything other than satisfying curiosity**
    Download Blender 2.50 in its current unfinished state:

Windows http://www.graphicall.org/builds/builds/showbuild.php?action=show&id=877
    Mac http://www.graphicall.org/builds/builds/showbuild.php?action=show&id=878
    Linux (64 bit) http://www.graphicall.org/builds/builds/showbuild.php?action=show&id=935

I believe at this point you can actually do a few things with it, but there are still significant pieces of the basic functionality that have not been included yet.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They really should call this Blender 3.0. They are rewriting everything and reorganizing how the whole program works, and only going from 2.48 to 2.50.
    Ged wrote: »
    are there more screenshots of the upcoming UI other than just that one on the roadmap page? If its good I might give blender another try, so far I just use blender as an intermediary to export certain file types.
    There is a talk about upcoming UI ideas here.

3rd Video: The Evolution Of Blender's UI
    http://river-valley.tv/conferences/blender_conference_2008/

--

The 2.50 preview is great. Especially when I saw the new way to split views. The color scheme is also much better.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They just posted this. Area swapping and copying
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5IjbClO8Sk[/ame]
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just recompiled and played around with it a little bit. I can see this being a lot of fun with two monitors.

Theres also a rumor going around that a 2.49 release is going to to announced soon. They wernt originally planning to make a 2.49 but I guess features are getting backed up waiting for 2.5.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 wrote: »
    They wernt originally planning to make a 2.49 but I guess features are getting backed up waiting for 2.5.
    Sounds good. I have a strange bug in 2.48a where switching in and out of blender to firefox will crash it sometimes. Seems to happen on flash or heavy javascripted sites for some reason. I'm thinking it may be a driver bug, I haven't updated in awhile now... :poly121:

Also, I get random crashes when trying to delete keys in the animation editor. 2.47 was rock solid for me. Where are you finding this 2.49 stuff out? I would love to read it...

I find it strange how they aren't calling 2.5 a 3.0 release. They are recoding almost the whole thing to fit the new UI and data models. It deserves more than an 0.02 bump in the version numbers.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2.49 was discussed in the Sunday meeting notes last week. http://pasteall.org/4471

According to Ton its got the go ahead pending confirmation of features and a review of the bug tracker.

According to this weeks notes http://pasteall.org/4522

Late April could be a target release date, but there are lots of current bugs that havent been squashed yet (probably due to all efforts being on 2.5) and not many available people to put on the task.

Edit: Oh almost forgot. If you want to track these yourself they post the notes on the wiki every week (or you can join the IRC channel yourself if you want to participate) http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:SundayMeetingAgenda
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2.49 was discussed in the Sunday meeting notes last week. http://pasteall.org/4471

According to Ton its got the go ahead pending confirmation of features and a review of the bug tracker.

According to this weeks notes http://pasteall.org/4522

Late April could be a target release date, but there are lots of current bugs that havent been squashed yet (probably due to all efforts being on 2.5) and not many available people to put on the task.

Edit: Oh almost forgot. If you want to track these yourself they post the notes on the wiki every week (or you can join the IRC channel yourself if you want to participate) http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:SundayMeetingAgenda
    Thanks. Reading the Sunday meeting now.
  • Daaark
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, I like the direction that reynish guy is taking. Some of these mockups are looking even more intuitive than max or maya (not that that's saying much :D)

Borrowed mouse/keyboard layouts = hawt.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    thats actually nice to see,- some useable GUI mockups. Hopefully the GUI will be speedy not like horrible Photoshop CS3+ performance.
    I hope that all of the GUI elements will be somewhat resizeable so that the GUI can be tweaked to a more minimalistic workspace.
    And hopefully that startup screen with pickable keyboard layout will make it like that
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope that all of the GUI elements will be somewhat resizeable so that the GUI can be tweaked to a more minimalistic workspace.
    The GUI has always been drawn as vectors, and resizes to fit whatever space you carve out for it. I doubt that will change here. Also, it always looks like whatever you want it to look like.

Example - Here's a GUI I just carved out to demo that. I have the 'buttons window' (as named in Blender) scaled at all different sizes on the right, left, and bottom. If I wanted, I could save that layout. You can see on the top there is a pulldown menu that says SR2 - Model. There's a bunch of presets in there depending on different tasks.
    buttonswindow.th.png

That last set of shots reminds me of the sidebar in the old 3ds max 4 versions. Not a bad thing.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone know if there's been talk of Windows Explorer thumbnails instead of the default icon? I know there's that shot above showing 'full' images in the asset browser but have they implimented the use of thumbnails in Windows Explorer?.

Have to say there's some pretty fundamental changes going on here that yes,, would make more sense calling this Blender 3.0 as Daaark suggested above. These changes are going to be hell on tutorial writers :poly122:
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The image thumbnail browser is already working in 2.5. Preview images for .blend files is also planned but doesnt look like its been implemented yet.

As I understand it, the plan was to use native file browsers where appropriate.

Here is a picture of the 2.5 image browser running on Linux (not sure what the Windows one looks like)

3341488315_6d25d0bcee_b.jpg

Edit: It sure is going to be tough on tutorial writers, especially once everyone has their hotkeys customized.
  • Daaark
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    oh I like this direct feed updates here at polycount,- keep them comming :)
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    kat wrote: »
    These changes are going to be hell on tutorial writers :poly122:

Part of the reason why I decided to dive in before 2.5. The transition will probably be less painful. I expect it to be awhile before we see decent, up to date tutorials, etc.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gwot wrote: »
    Part of the reason why I decided to dive in before 2.5. The transition will probably be less painful. I expect it to be awhile before we see decent, up to date tutorials, etc.
    :thumbup: You might find this convo helpful. It's me vs some blender guys with all my transition questions, and links to basically every good tutorial series on the net find their way into there, along with advice from longtime blender users.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keep them comming :)
    Since you insist -- BlenderPocket 2.48 is out. :poly142:
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    cooool :D more more
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cooool :D more more

The first bits of the new button panels are coming together.

3352132418_7dc8dd0a14_o.png

3351214539_3e73a3ce3d_o.png
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess variable height hasn't yet been implemented?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    nice - it seems they are making great progress lately, I might even consider jumping one day into python and blender to write custom tools for it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I soooo do not like the buttons. Not. Like. Why on earth rounded? It makes everything soft and doughy looking. IMO a waste of assets and space, totally unneeded. grr
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    i think there is a more a psychological reason for the rounded 'groups' as it hints the eyes that certain elements are enclosed or grouped together. I think the viewports in Blender transport that very well because one always knows wich menu bar belongs to which viewport thanks to the rounded corners. Its the same metamphore apple started using in their OSX with all the shadows (suptile depth information), perforated lines (better indicator for vertical line/position),...

Many of them can be considered as eye-candy because they transport something xtra,- exspecially xtra pixel space. Another con is that this type of GUI design is a visual trend atm. that is more out for visual impression as functionality (see acrobat reader, CS3/4, max2010, Office 12, Vista,...).

Regarding Blender though I hope though that the corner radius can be defined and then it should be no problem setting it to 0 and thereby having rectangular with edgy corners like Lightwave or other edgy GUI`s.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice - it seems they are making great progress lately, I might even consider jumping one day into python and blender to write custom tools for it.
    Honestly, it's all the same shit, it's just grouped differently on the bars.
    right click = select
    g = move / translate
    s = scale
    r = rotate
    e = extrude
    tab = toggle edit mode with object selected
    CTRL- V = vertex commands
    CTRL- F = face commands
    CTRL- E = edge commands
    Space and W = misc context menus (so you don't need to loop up misc hotkeys, it's mostly all in here)

I don't know how it can get any simpler.

I don't see the GUI changing anything. It's just that it has been due for a cleanup for awhile now. They kept piling new functionality onto it, and it turned into a mess, and there are some limitations. Ton has said that there are features not there simply because there is no more room on the panels.

It will look nicer and more inviting for the new user. But the interaction with the program will mostly be the same.

As for the panels, I'd prefer it to be more as compact as possible, but whatever. It's been said recently that the GUI will be done as python scripts, so it doesn't really matter I guess? You can throw whatever you want up there. Would be cool to make a custom panel full of custom buttons. Kind of like the bookmark toolbar in Firefox.

I'm more worried about the colors.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    dang that shitty g-rap key again -_-
    I really hope they will kill that one sometime - I think for most 3d people its the first big irrittation with blender- next to the camera controls which I never till today really understood (I can navigate fine with the num- block but preciese mouse control like maya,max,silo,... never got that right). Maybe some visual context in the GUI (which key = what!) might help like the the bloved silo does so nice.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang that shitty g-rap key again -_-
    What's wrong with G? I guess you'd be used to M?
    I really hope they will kill that one sometime - I think for most 3d people its the first big irrittation with blender- next to the camera controls which I never till today really understood (I can navigate fine with the num- block but preciese mouse control like maya,max,silo,... never got that right). Maybe some visual context in the GUI (which key = what!) might help like the the bloved silo does so nice.
    You want TURNTABLE NAVIGATION (possibly with around selection checked). It's in the options menu when you pull down the viewport. The default is something else.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    "G" makes more sense than other letters because it's more or less in the center of QWERTY so you have other keys under, above and around, especially when Blender is dependant on shortcuts rather than menus.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »
    I soooo do not like the buttons. Not. Like. Why on earth rounded? It makes everything soft and doughy looking. IMO a waste of assets and space, totally unneeded. grr

I think that the rounded boxes have already been debated (vigorously) and it was finally decided that they were good. Right now the big areas of contention are the font rendering (it currently looks like it has an emboss when viewed on a darker theme, which is causing a lot of confusion and nerd rage), the check boxes (ugly? too large?), and horizontal vs vertical button windows.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs, what's the deal with python in 2.5? I heard something along the lines of them shipping python with Blender, so you don't have to install it yourself. Is that the case? I just heard rumblings from the audio they posted, but it wasn't too clear.

When it comes to G, I usually prefer to use the 3D widget anyways.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I understand it Python 2.5 is going to be cut and replaced by Python 3.0

The idea being that the new core will break backward compatibility with most python plugins anyway, might as well update while they are at it.

As far as Python being included...Im not sure what the plan is with that. Maybe they will offer it with only some versions of Blender? For example, it would be silly to include Python in the Linux version but Mac users are always complaining that its hard to get Python and Blender working together.

There is also the issue of file size. A small group of Blender users already are stuck using 2.3x because they can no longer fit new versions on a single 3.5" floppy disk. I dont think its practical to support that sort of extreme file size, but then again nobody wants to see more people left behind like that.

Kind of wierd to think of a modern 3d app in terms of 3.5" floppies, but Blender does has a following in some very poor parts of the world where the nearest internet access may be an eight hour bus ride away.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well there is also the symbolic nature of the floppy situation! It's like, a huge slap in the face of 400+megs monster apps. Because even if the size gets bigger, well, you can still put the program on two floppies instead - it won't make the bus ride any longer :P

I think it's cool and hardcore, respect to the Blender guys for that.

I am more and more curious about the app now, even if I know that just like Sketchup, I try a fresh Blender install every 6 months or so and every time I am strongly disappointed.
    (Like, woh can really STAND Sketchup's sloooooow viewport navigation haha! This thing is a joke :) )
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats pretty much the conclusion they came too as far as the floppy disks go. Theres simply no way to continue growth while keeping the file size that small. However there still needs to be a good justification and some careful consideration before throwing an extra 10 megs of files in there.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    I try a fresh Blender install every 6 months or so and every time I am strongly disappointed.
    That was me too until 2.46. :poly127: :poly136:

If even the GUI panels are going to be written in Python scripts, it's not going to be very good having it as an optional download. I mean, those guys don't want to walk uphill both ways for another 8 hours to get the python install too!

Who has a modern PC with an openGL accelerator and modern OS and can only use floppies?
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark wrote: »
    If even the GUI panels are going to be written in Python scripts, it's not going to be very good having it as an optional download. I mean, those guys don't want to walk uphill both ways for another 8 hours to get the python install too!

Who has a modern PC with an openGL accelerator and modern OS and can only use floppies?

Blender does come with enough Python libraries to run itself. You only need a full install to run some aftermarket scripts.

And who said anything about a modern computer? Blender will install and run on just about any hardware.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender does come with enough Python libraries to run itself. You only need a full install to run some aftermarket scripts.
    False. I needed to install it to get half the program to run. You might forget that if you've had it installed for awhile, and it's been a non issue. A lot of commands in the program rely on it, including just about everything in the export menu, and some UV commands.
    And who said anything about a modern computer? Blender will install and run on just about any hardware.
    It won't run on my 1994 IBM Aptiva, and even then CD ROMS were standard. You'll need something post 2000 with OpenGL support. I'm not saying they should inflate it.

I just heard that little talk with Ton and whoever else in the Wintercamp meeting audio files where they were talking about bundling Python 3.0 and it would only be a 2 or 3 mb.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender itself runs fine without additional Python scripts. I recall the included scripts running without a full install, but your correct that it has been a long time since I checked.

From a practical standpoint, the size of Blender could balloon quite a bit and still be very manageable. A 1 gig USB drive is going to set you back around 4$ these days. If you can afford the electricity to run a computer you can afford one of those.

Besides, the BF mission statement only covers bringing 3d to people with an internet connection. Its nice to support everyone else, but its not exactly a requirement.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap the viewport navigation, object selection and transform don't make any kind of sense!! What were they thinking, hey since we are Blender we are smarter than everybody else, lets not have standard selection and transformation behavior!

Is there a way to change all that to a default nav theme ? Like, modifier keys for navigation, and normal left click for selection and transformation. (not to mention that the 'draggy' mouse thing makes it impossible to use with a tablet...)
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use the user preferences window. You can get to it by pulling down the top menu bar or just change one of your other windows to be user preferences.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Vitals/User_Preferences
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm I got there but found nothing letting me switch to a standard navigation and selection modes.

This is turning into a sweet 'blender from scratch' reference thread haha