Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: jramauri

JR
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
JR polycounter lvl 15
Hi fellows. I'm starting this to improve anatomy, lighting, concept, modeling, attention to details and a lot of other things. Crits and helps are always welcome. Thanks in advance.

estudos_cabeca.jpg

estudos_cabeca1.jpg

monstro_frente.jpg

monstro_lado.jpg

Goddess_sketch0.jpg

Goddess_sketch1.jpg

Goddess_sketch_close_1.jpg

Replies

• JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I have started this model some time ago, and never really finished it.. I wasn't unhappy about the proportions. She was too chibi, and this really looked weird. I'm trying to make her taller now. It's a cartoon version of Lei Lei (Darkstalkers)

LeiLei5.jpg

LeiLei6.jpg
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    As a Capcom fanboy, you get two thumbs up from me for the Lei Lei model :D (btw, is it Hsien-Ko, or Lei Lei? And while I'm at it, Buletta or B.B. Hood? Talbain or Gallon? You get the picture.) And an extra set of thumbs up for NOT doing Morrigan! You do however, get a thumbs down (at around -1.138 degrees) for the head being a touch too big :P I may be a fan boy but I can still give rounded critiques, really!

The nude woman looks really good sofar. I'm guesing you're still working on her cause she really doesn't strike me as being complete yet. Were you inspired by Vega Donna from Onimusha 3 by any chance? She has a pretty cool design.

The Z Brush model of the ogre creature - to be honest, while the model is technically sound (save for the slight wonkiness in his left shoulder) the proportions aren't working for me. The head and shoulders are really hunched over but the rest of the body is perfectly erect. The limbs are long and slender. And I daresay even graceful. It just doesn't mesh well for me. You could draw more attention to the claws by shortening the forearms which would really make the claws stand out. Shorten the torso to really get that hunched feeling that the neck and shoulders establish so well. And bend those legs so that they look less human and more animal, thicken them up with some muscle.

I hope I don't sound like I'm talking hogwash here.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hey pangarang, thank you very much for comment! I know my works have a lot of things to improve, but I don't know exactly what, so I feel really happy when someone point me my mistakes, then a I can get rid of them.

Do you think Lei Lei's head is yet big? It was much larger before, she was really in chibi style, and I made this modification.. but I can try reduce a bit more. (about the name, Lei Lei in Japan, Hsien-ko in other countries; Bulleta on japan, B.B Hood in other countries. This happen with a lot of capcom chars, they had one name in Japan, but due legal reasons, have to change names in other countries. Most famous case is M. Bison, on SF2, which name was changed to avoid problems with M. Tyson).

The nude woman is not complete, I totally agree that I have to improve her clothes a bit. And she's not inspired by Vega Donna, this is most an generic anime nude girl, without anime traces.

About the monster, the idea was to make a tall and skinny guy. There goes the unposed version, so you can analyse his proportions better. But I agree with you, he need more curvy and beastial shapes, to looks like a real monster. Do you still think his proportions aren't working?

monster_orto.jpg

Once more thanks for your points :)
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I started making this char last year as a cartoon girl. Her name is Jana.

Jana_01.jpg

But after that I tried to make her version with realistic shapes:

Jana_2.jpg

Jana_4.jpg

I didn't like it, because the realistic version lacks expression, for some reason. So I returning now to the cartoon version, of her and her robot.

Jana_new_concept.jpg

Robot_new_concept.jpg

I'd apreciate crits about the realistic version - why it lacks expressiveness - and about the new version, if anyone have something to add or crit, feel free to do it :)
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Before I continue my concept, I stopped a bit to try Zbrush as a painting program. I painted this portrait of Audrey Tautou from the begining to the end inside Zbrush, and I must to say, it was great, Zbrush single layer brush has a good blending. Here are my steps, as well as the final sketch.

Audrey_01.jpg

Audrey_02.jpg

Audrey_03.jpg

Audrey_04.jpg

Audrey_05.jpg

Audrey_06.jpg

Audrey_final.jpg

The original pic: http://www.amauriilustra.com.br//images/making_of/Audrey/Audrey_ref.jpg
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Forgive my noobness.

I always thought zbrush was a sculpting program. I never realized you could digitally paint in it too! That's like, Photoshop and Mudbox in one (with infuriating controls, lol). I know you can texture in Zbrush, so not surprisingly you should be able to 2D paint in it too. Wow the things you learn ...

Anyway onto the picture. If you're going for a stylized look, i think it works. But realism .. her eyes are little huge. It'd be nice to see some texture in the skin too. And that robot you got up there, LOVE the rendering on it. Excelltn!
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice artwork :) The mage-looking lady on the bottom has her breasts too high, considering the lack of support. they should be hanging off and just below her chest muscles, not on top of them, and thats the only complaint I have to make. you are good at drawing female faces, I've tried a few times to capture that childish look you gave your character, Jana, but failed every time :(

and for Pangrang, Zbrush does indeed have a painting option. I dont know how well it is as a painter alone, but you are capable of painting directly on to the sculptures. I just started playing with it and no sooner than I started a friend showed me a script called Z-AppLink, its a plugin that allows you to paint on a selected section of the model inside photoshop, giving you access to all the photoshop goodness on your Zbrush model
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    pangarang: Thanks man. Yeah, you can paint on Z the same way you paint on PS. It's a bit more difficult as you cannot count on layers and selection the same way you know on PS, but i'ts possible and the blending of the brush is very good.
    I know my portrait isn't 100% realist, but look at the photo I copied.. Audrey's eyes are really big. Maybe I exagerated a bit, though :P I agree about the skin, maybe I'll return to this portrait later.

GsKanible: Thanks for you point, it seems her boobs are really too high, I will fix them on next ups.

These are the most recent ups of my Wizard.

Goddess_sketch2.jpg

Goddess_sketch_close_2.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    And here's the final of my Wizard.

Goddess.jpg

Goddess_close_1.jpg

Goddess_close_2.jpg
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah that does look more natural now. I love her boots, but just I just have one question about them....how does she put them on? they seem very form fitting yet no lacings of any sort? Its not something you have to fix unless you'd want to, but im just into that sort of detail. Otherwise looks very well done
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    GsKanible: Thanks for your comment, man. Her boots have a 'zipper' behind. And the two parts of boot are stitched togheter. If I model her some day, this will be more evident, I think.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i get amazed by the amount of awesome artwork i see in this forum. damn man. this is awesome.
    that amelie portrait in zbrush is really cool :)
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks bitmap.

Now that I finished the Wizard, get back to the monster. I changed his proportions a bit and I'm adding some armor to him.

monster_armor.jpg
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Some nice ideas in there already. It'll be interesting to see how the armour turns out sculpted instead of poly modelled -- it usually winds up spongy when I've done it that way.

The posture is a little odd. Usually a character with a mighty hunch like that slouches as well, but your monster is surprisingly upright. For me it makes for a bit of a disconnect between the front and back view.

Nice stuff. Those hands are vicious, good disemboweling design on the feet, a mouth only a dentist could love, etc. Look forward to watching the progress :)
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks Kary. I made some changes, hope you like it.

Here goes another up of my monster, this time with more curvature on body, and some accessories, made using zbrush mesh extraction.

monster_WIP_1.jpg
  • Ajunip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajunip polycounter lvl 9
    Caramba! O.O
    amazing! Great work!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks Ajunip!

There goes a quick and dirty sketch made on Zsketchpad.

zsketchpad_doodle.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    This is the 3d speed model from the concept above. 3h of zbrushing.

orc_3h_1.jpg

orc_3h_2.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Nice sketches!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks Jaco!

This is the first time I'm doing a painted master copy, and it's harder than I though. It's not finished yet, it lacks more work on hair ad clothes. Suggestions and crits are welcome.

Daisies_copy.jpg

Original image:Daisies, by William Bouguereau

Daisies.jpg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    master study is coming along great man, eyes especially. Could you post the original image you're copying? You'd probably get much better crits that way.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks Ferg. I've already edited my post and put the original image.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    There goes a concept I'm doing for a comp on 3dtotal. Logan as a X-butcher.

wolvie_sketch.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Here goes the final piece of master copy study.

Daisies_copy1.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    There goes one more step of Jana's WIP. It lacks details on boot, mechanical arm and other parts.

Jana_concept_WIP.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hi guys. After a long time I'm back to the activity. This is a female char I'm doing for a MOD (http://www.renegade-x.com/) and I'd like to hear crits about proportions, clothes, female traces, everything. It's a very early wip, and I havent touched parts like hand and feet, yet, but I'll be very glad for your help on the improvement of this char.

Hotwire_wip_01.jpg

Hotwire_wip_02.jpg

Hotwire_wip_03.jpg

More coming soon.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice work so far, you probably need more polys to get rid of the lumpy eyelids? It might be good to get some more reference for the clothing it really looks super skin tight and has very little thickness/weight especially around the abdomen but this is a wip so youve probably got that on your to do list.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    it kinda looks like the little girl from monsters inc. grew up, and joined some anti-government group in the dystopian future, trying to protect the rights of monsters or something. Err, point is she looks very young, not sure if that's what you're going for.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks guys. The direction I have to go is that:

hotwirerefsux8.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lol the lowpoly model is seriously defying gravity :P

good references, I look forward to seeing all those folds and bits of kit in the sculpt.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks GED.

A small update, fixing a lot of body issues:

Hotwire_wip_04.jpg

Hotwire_wip_05.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    A 3d approach for the wonderful sketches of Dean Eagle.

Cartoon_man_01.jpg

Frank_cartoon.jpg

Frank_cartoon2.jpg

A bust for Game artisans competition, Bond Vilains. I chose Jaws (Richard Kiel)

Jaws_01.gif

Jaws_WIP_01.jpg

Jaws_WIP_02.jpg
  • fiveways
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't look @ jaws without laughing, haha. Really great work dude. It's very inspiring. You've done a really good job at translating that concept of the military chick into a sculpt. Reminds me of a less-feminine version of cammy from street fighter...she looks like she actually has a functioning outfit, lol. Looking forward to more progress on your stuff!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Loving the Jana concept :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    cool gameartisans comp entry :) his nose looks a little bit like its floating on top of his face, I think the nostrils need to be connected a little more with the skin under the nose if you know what I mean.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
  • psychoticprankster
    This stuff is Beautiful work :) I absolutely love it. I'm Subscribing to this thread.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Zbrush vs Photoshop:

Garota_manga.jpg

Minha_casa_esboco.jpg

Minha_casa.jpg

Minha_casa_detalhe.jpg

Bonitao.jpg

Velho_render.jpg
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice the skin looks great
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks marlfox8! Two more WIPs. Just Zbrush yet.

Pose.jpg

Lei_Lei.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I redid my drawing of Lei Lei, to improve expressiveness. I think she looks better now.

Lei-Lei_Corrigido.jpg

I started modeling her too. Crits and suggestions to get a better similarity between my drawing and the model are always welcome.

Lei_Lei_WIP_01.jpg

Lei_Lei_WIP_02.jpg

By the way, I felt very happy when I found my previous version of her, made on 2008. It seems I improved a lot since then :)

Lei_Lei_old.jpg
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool but why is on of her "hands" floppped down instead of like the other one
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    And here's the final piece.

Lei_Lei_new.jpg

Lei_Lei_new_detail.jpg
  • uneditablepoly
    Wow, amazing transfer from concept to model. Very nice work! Interesting design, too.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks, man. But her design belongs to Capcom, she's a character from the game Darkstalkers.

I did some speed modeling, based on the original model of Jean Sebastien Rolhion. 2 hours and a half for completion.

Orc_strike.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    And there it goes another speed head... Heads are really the most fun thing to model.

head_1.jpg
  • uneditablepoly
    Nonetheless, brilliant recreation. I like your most recent heads, too. You are very good at bringing out character!
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for the orc it doesn't look like an orc head. the ears are suppost to be pointed and unless he's a grandpa orc he shouldn't have all those lines
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for your inputs, guys.
    marlfox8: Have you seen the reference I'm following? I'm just doing exactly what he did. Or trying at least. Anyway, thanks for your advice!