DWIII - 2D - Wake - Barbarossa

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
wake polycounter lvl 17
Edit-- Here's where I am currently:

barbarossafinal.jpg
goliath7.jpg
barbarossafinalortho.jpg

So, firing up with a few batches of thumbnails first. Especially considering that I'm doing 2D, I'm going to take my time on this step. I really do want to shoot for the outlandish, and try to avoid the typical fantasy clich

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    some of these are like...wow. well, from the ones that i can actually decipher, i like 4 and 10. i'm assuming he's dragging something in 10. cant' wait to see some more defined concepts down the line!
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    I really really like # 1.... alot. do it.
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    Your number one reminds me a lot of an Idea I had last year that I never followed through with.

Nice thumbs, can't wait to see how they evolve.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I appreciate the quick replies!

slosh- #10 started as a tree that ended up turned on its side. Might end up that his left arm is a massive appendage, would probably go in the vegetation category if so. I do like the silhouette tho, whatever it ends up being.

Clint- #1 is definitely the most aggressive and *alien* looking at this point in the game. Sometimes your first try just ends up working out...

Anyway, here's a few more for you folks to play with until tomorrow. I'm done for tonight, be back later with more thumbs until I find one to develop that I'm really feelin.

thumbnails3.jpg

Spent some time on these thinking about embedding the artifact in the character. I like 18 as a creature that swallowed an artifact and suddenly became this hideous, sentient monster. I also like the idea of a broken phone booth becoming an arcane weapon. Aces.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    7 takes the cake for me. I really enjoy its total weirdness. Really great stuff man, interesting collection of thumbs.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    a quick word on thumbnailing: i've found that the particular way of doing them will influence the results quite a bit. off the top of my head i'd break it down in three ways:
    (1)"proper" thumbnailing, which is to say, a sheet of thumbnails, done as a sheet, together.
    (2)"layers" thumbnailing, by which i mean using layers to keep thumbnails in the same space, but visibly apart until you compile them.
    (3)"iterative" thumbnailing--much like layered thumbnails, but a copy-paste from one layer to the next and iterating successively on a single design.

the important remarks is that traditional one-sheet thumbnailing will mean that you're far more consciously influenced by the other thumbnails--spatially most of all, since the shapes you draw on a page are always in relation to what's already on the page and the borders of the page itself. this is both positive and potentially negative. the andrew jones method, an advanced one-sheet type thumbnailing process, is awesome for developing a whole bunch of related forms and characters at once, but not so hot for trying to hit up wildly different ideas.
    layered thumbnailing, on the other hand, helps free you from consciously thinking about the last thumbnail you did, since it isn't visible. i can find this helpful if i really don't want to keep the last sketch in mind, and don't want neighboring spaces to influence composition... just start a new layer and doodle. the temptation with this method, while naturally most amenable to photoshop sketching, is that you'll not be doing thumbnails at all, but sketching too big/greater detail than you ought early on. even on thumbnails i like to keep the canvas fairly sizable (600x600 let's say), but i hedge off this problem by keeping the canvas zoomed out, and even my head craned back a bit from the screen. in fact, the secret to improved PS painting for me as of late has been the same few tricks to keep a good eye on the overall canvas.

iterative should usually be reserved as a stage two deal, once you know you've gotten a really strong silhouette and now want to think about macro-level details, weapon, stance, major variations, and whatever. but even iterative can still help with initial thumbnails, since you can catch a great gestural seed and then spin it off into different silhouettes.

you'll see a lot of each approach. remember what el coro said, it's all a big toolbox, and the more approaches and techniques you can add to that toolbox, the better you are. vary up the way you approach thumbnails themselves to get the maximum variety of options.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    More fun for everyone. First of several more, I went with Gauss's iterative thumbnailing for a while, which seems to be putting up some different stuff. I'm starting to put a little more detail on as well, so the figures are just a little vague instead of being completely inscrutable.

thumbnails4.jpg

I personally am liking 23's face and 27 looks like it could blow some serious shit up. Or, well, smash some stuff. One step closer...
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I was diggin #27, so I went ahead with a quick ortho. Still not sure if that's what I want to go with-- gonna keep on doing thumbnails, but I'm liking it right now.

27ortho.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, I like the structure of this - if you refine some of the shapes to be more organic and interesting, it could be awesome! Keep it up smile.gif
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I like 23. That little goat dude is kickass.
  • boomz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boomz polycounter lvl 9
    I almost have no idea whats going on in 27 and I like that. I like the side view better than the front view. The face area confuses me a little bit but could be neat. Two sets of arms means twice the fucking shit up, so I like the direction this is going.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Ok, so I'm going to develop this beasty some more before I try some other ideas. Here's a quickie action shot that I did to give a little better idea of form and movement. I'm thinking the weird shape in the 'head' is some kind of artifact that is animating/controlling the creature. Probably in the vein of earth, though vegetation is also a possibility. Anyway, off to dinner and then some more when I get back.

action1.jpg
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Yeah, smashing those humans, a giant smashing machine! laugh.gif
    Very interesting design!
  • KICKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty cool design, maybe the artifact is a ship that landed in the earth with a tiny pilot inside that rooted itself in the ground and then ripped out of it to wage war! The artifact pilot controls the ship which in turn is animating the earth its attached to? Keep up the good work laugh.gif
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Quick update-- Kicker, I've given some thought to what you said. I don't think I'm going with the ship, but I do like the idea that the 'artifact' is in fact the rusted hull of a tank (or car. Somehow, maybe because it was used to kill a bunch of people, it gained the power to wield earth to begin a new wave of destruction.

Or something like that...

goliath1.jpg
  • Hildor_muthafo
    i'd go with the tank for sure. thats lookin badass.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i think this design shows a lot of promise, a lot more dynamism than most quadruple-armed designs, but with a very good bulk.
    i love the idea of a rusted out tank husk, imbedded upside down for a head. tank treads up, turret poking through the "face" area imbedded. sort of like how rooster is designing his character's forebearer as he might have appeared in the last war to get an idea of where his character is now, i think it'd be a fun little exercise to actually design the tank properly, then flip it over/crunch/corrode it into the head design. you can even work in some vaguely creepy facial/skull features suggestions into the undercarriage of the tank, but that should be done carefully.
    oh and don't be too stingy with the images, they're a little on the small side so it's hard to read the details on your inset orthos. good work on the action sketch, too.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Ok, so I like the idea of an upturned vehicle as the headpiece of my beastie. I'm toying around with a few different ideas for it, this one being more of an artillery piece. Here's the drawing with some reference. The next step will be aging it 1000 years and finding a way to make it look all 'artifactish'.

arty1.jpg

When I do get around to doing an updated drawing, I'm tinkering with the idea of blowing out the barrel to give it a more interesting look. We'll see how that goes.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I think my brain isn't very happy with me right now, because far too much time and effort were required considering the quality of this sketch mad.gif

Anyway, here's the aforementioned idea of the exploded barrel eyepiece. In my imagination it was much cooler looking; as of right now it's rather underwhelming. I think the frontal pose isn't helping-- to get the dynamic look of the barrel you need more of a side view (something I should have thought about before I started the drawing).

Some ideas would be to just make a bigger barrel, make more barrels, or more interesting barrels. Another idea would be to integrate more of the broken vehicle into the faceplate than I have so far.

I also just need to take one of the images and develop it more, as right now I haven't ventured beyond the 'super-sketchy' area. Unfortunately thats where I get in trouble.

What I am happy about, however, is how the arms look tucked back behind the body. I'd like to spend more time exploring the different action poses of this guy-- the first one was full combat mode and the ortho was ready to attack. This one is more just traveling. I think I might try one with the second set of arms fully extended in a sprint, on all fours or even all sixes.

Crits are always welcome, and even a paintover or two if any of you are feeling generous.

goliath2.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I wasn't happy with where the last drawing was going. Elongating the upper arms made them look more normal and took away the viscous pincer quality that they had. The tucking lower arms are just funky, and is something that I don't think I'll come back to. I still like the cannon-eye idea, but in the last go-round it looked too much like a proboscis and wasn't meshing with the other forms.

Ok, serious business now. Took a few hours to pound this one out-- overworked and again took too long, but you can't have it all, can you? smirk.gif So, onto the new one.

I've elongated the head and torso, separated the upper and lower arms more, and tried some funky stuff with the actual texture of this beastie. I'm not sure if I like the ribbing-- starting to feel too much like aliens, and doesn't necessarily match up with the original idea of earthen construct. With the head, I went with more of a mortar piece with a much larger barrel, and I think it works better for the eye. I also returned to the first iteration where the upturned treads formed the top of the head. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how this went, but there's still a long way to go, of course.

In case it's not clear, the idea is that the goliath has your run of the mill mage-with-mana-shield pinned, and is in the process of cracking it like a nut. I imagined that the rock would become searing hot and blunted from repeatedly hitting the shield. Safe to say that guy's gonna get splattered laugh.gif

So yeah, progress so far with the 2 sketches leading up. Next step is to do a detail pass and really start to figure out what's going on with the shape and figure. Too much cheating with generic painterly blur right now.

goliath3sm.jpg
    action2c.jpgaction2b.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I had a thought that may or may not be a good idea-- I'll need some feedback on this one; I realized that I have yet to incorporate the greentooth into the design yet, and I thought about turning the odd gap in the chest into a gaping maw. So here's a quick paintover.

goliath3smCLR.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Mini update: still not sure about the mouth, but I decided to nix the eyes-- they were drawing too much attention away from the tank head. I ignited the barrel with the greentooth juice and weathered it more. I'm not sure about how I feel about the whole 'glowy-bits' theme, although at the same time I have a hunch that this guys isn't going to end up as a stealth character, so it's no big deal if he glows in the dark laugh.gif Another option that I might explore later is to go with the eyes and just get rid of the tank on top. Too early to tell tho.

Anyway, my giant with maw sans eyes.

goliath3smCLR2.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    awesome idea..
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    does... does he have a tank for a head?

that is fucking badass
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    more of a snub-nosed mortar right now Sectaurs, but yeah. I'd like to spend a little time, per Gauss's suggestion, and actually flesh out what a big polycount tank would look like. Right now it's a bit of an amorphous blob, but I've got time, right? (gonna hate myself for that comment pretty soon...)
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Obviously this is a quick doodle (couldn't help during dinner), but the salmon colored paper was just too good a chance to pass up. I want to make the tank/mortar/cannon a more integral part of the monster, and so I need to develop it. I don't have time to do a proper sketch update for this right now, so you'll just have to use the salmon paper and a bit of imagination.
    So the idea that I'm throwing around is that at the pinnacle of the robot war, the mechanized forces of polycount had to make a serious adjustment, as the robots were able to scramble/disable all but the most protected equipment. As a result the ancient weapons of bygone wars were hurriedly rushed into service. This one, the behemoth, was the oldest of the bunch, not even possessing a motor but specially tailored to be pushed by a beast of burden. -insert dramatic story where the cannon was destroyed and the beast dies or something HERE-
    Point being, the four-armed giant tank head takes the form of the original beast of burden, some 6 appendaged thing, which now dwells within the husk.
    Hopefully that made some semblance of sense.

(arrow points to where the beast would push)

salmoncannon.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Went back and painted over the tank to see what it would look like. Also tried some different teeth. I think it could work, but I'll probably stick with the tank and develop that further instead.

goliath3smNOTANK.jpg
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very interesting and odd character... you're definetely thinking outside the box... can't wait to see this in 3d. keep at it man!
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I'd love to see it in 3D too, but my 3D skills are somewhat non-existent laugh.gif If I didn't have midterms to deal with, I might have been a little more adventurous. But since I do unfortunately, this year it'll just have to be 2D *sigh*
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I think that losing the tank has opened the character up.
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhh sorry bout that. didn't notice you were 2d!!! anyway, it's an idea that could go a million miles!!!! this is what I would say... you have a solid start, but why not experiment a little? just brainstorm a bit and go nuts, you never know what kind of crazy ideas are still inside your brain - reason I'm saying is that a character like that opens up a lot of possibilities as to what could be attached to it, what other elemental oddities might compose his body, etc... keep at it, lookin good!

I do agree that losing the tank seems to make the character come together... now.. I was liking the idea of having external stuff attached, so why not experiment with organic stuff?
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Ok, so I'm definitely going with this character, but not without some work. I've decided to rework it and to go with the cannon-head, but really make that the central feature. First I have to get a lock on exactly what's going on with the limbs, because even I'm not entirely sure all the time. Certain proportions I'm not happy with, and the challenge is going to be adding details that maintain the sense of size.

As I said, the central feature is the tank head, which needs to serve AS A HEAD, if that makes sense. Right now it's just broken equipment stuck on top of a moving dirt pile. It needs some character. I like the ancient battlewagon stuff I had going on earlier, and I'm toying with the idea that he uses the destroyed hulks of enemy machinery as armored plating-- tank hulls torn in half to protect joints, the hull plating of a battleship for a breastplate. Battleships... battleships have big guns...

Anyway, so here's a quick update for some of what I'm doing. Next I'll post some of the references I've collected; which by the way, everyone is welcome to post cool or unique weapons of war-- any help is always welcome.

I've got a long way to go confused.gif

thumbnails5.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Long hiatus-- winding back into gear. I've decided to go with more of an ape-like anatomy. I find that it just makes the form more interesting, and lends more power to the middle arms. So now the big question is what to do with the head, and here's where I'm having trouble. I looked up a combination of cannons, mortars, and coastal emplacements as reference on this one, with mixed success. I think it'll come together more once I start hacking out more details, but I want to be sure on this preliminary level before I move on, as I work much more slowly than most doing a full rendering. Anyway, cheers.

thumbnails6.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    5 and 9 bc they flow with the lines

and 3
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Progress update:

I went with a combination of 1 and 9; I like the longer barrel, and the blast shield adds some great shapes and personality to the head. What I have on the head now is a combination of those earlier references (based on artillery pieces) and some new refs of infantry based anti-tank weaponry from WWII. The blast shield I've got going on here is an exaggeration of existing ones, as I was trying to maximize the detail. On a side note, I'm happy with how the little bonsai trees and grasses are looking.

I have to say, detailed line drawings are brutal but rewarding. I'm cramming so much more detail in working this way, and I think having this as a base will dramatically help my paintover. Right now its actually a little busy, especially in the chest area, but I think that'll resolve itself with shading. Anyway, my hope is to finish this pose tonight, and tomorrow do a new action pose with the final design.

goliath4line1.jpg
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Looking quite cool but in the latest sketch where you have detailed him with the rocks and such it is way too busy and difficult to read. Try and spread your details out a little more instead of overwhelming the eye.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    You're right about the busyness fightpunch, and that's something I'm concerned about. Since I'll be using this as an underlay only, when I do the paintover I'll push the rocks in the chest area back and put them under heavy shadow, which should solve that problem. If not, that's a bridge I can cross when I get there. Right now I'm just trying to work out as much of the details as I can, so that I don't end up cheating myself when I do the final paint. At this stage I'd rather have it too busy than too sparse; easier to remove detail than come up with more on the spot.

Anyway, thanks for the input-- always appreciated.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    huge improvement!
    yeah it's busy, but like you say, most of that will be solved once painted. that level of detail is definitely forcing you to realize it far better than you have previous pieces, which is a very good thing. something to watch out for though at this stage is to not forget about macro-level detail, which is to say, the larger shapes/muscles of his body. because you're covering up so much of his surface area with rocks and miscellany (which does look good), you're copping out of making those still very general shapes of the limbs read as having muscle or tension or more particular shapes. does that make sense? i don't think you have to lose any progress here, but getting some more muscle/shape-lines within the silhouette of the arms and legs will really help flesh them out.
    aside from that, the detail level really is paying off. the blast shield on the anti-tank piece really gives a lot of convincing detail to the piece. i'm not so sold on whatever is covering his torso, however; the horizontal line under his armpits reads almost as "corset", which is obviously not what you're going for. the material read is almost wood--is it metal? try and give it its own shape/area of interest without losing the hierarchical quality you've established already (the head is, as it should be, the clear focal point).
    anyway, keep up the good work and keep posting updates. very cool stuff.
  • Hildor_muthafo
    this newest sketch is making a lot more sense now. yeah its busy, but once its shaded its going to pop a lot more, and with color its going to be fine. i must say this is one of the more original ideas i've seen. really cool stuff man, keep it up.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    **A question of anatomy**

Every time I come back to this the anatomy changes again mad.gif I like the anatomy in the first paint excepting the the gaping chest-hole, but I also like the more simian look of these later drawings. So I did some quick paintovers trying to find one that I like, but still no luck, I need to get this issue settled soon so that I can get the line work painted and get working on a second action shot. C&C as always welcome, and if anyone has any bright ideas for how to connect the middle arms I'd be much obliged.

goliath4anatomy1.jpggoliath4anatomy2.jpggoliath4anatomy3.jpggoliath4anatomy4.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Went back to the line drawing, gave it a little tone to help readability. I tried plastering a giant radar telescope on the belly, but with little success. As it is now I think it rests too low on the body, and with how the arms are positioned it looks as if they're holding the dish in place. Maybe if I pull it up it might look a little better.

Middle arms are still amorphous blobs, but a little better resolved than earlier. Still don't know where I'm going with that either.

All I know is, I like the rock vibe I've got going on, but right now everything looks too similar excepting the head. I might look into making the lower body out of scrap metal as opposed to earth. That way it's like he's absorbing the wreckage of busted robots into his body structure, making it even tougher the more he fights. Or something.

Damn concepting is hard confused.gif

goliath4line2.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I suppose I should mention that I finally settled on a name for this beasty: Barbarossa. I've been toying with it for several days, and as it was one of the first names that came to me I wanted to throw some other ones around before I settled. But it stuck with me, so here he is.

What really sold it for me, besides the fact that I just think it sounds cool, are the implications behind the name. i.e. Operation Barbarossa, which was the largest offensive the world has ever seen, where brutal conditions and severe casualties on were suffered by both sides. Also Frederick Barbarossa, for whom the offensive was named, was the Holy Roman Emperor who led the Third Crusade alongside the more famous Richard Lionheart.

I knew my 1 year as a history major would pay off someday laugh.gif
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Hah, looking really crazy! crazy.gif
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Ok, I think I'm finally at a stage where I'm happy with the linework and the anatomy of the mighty Barbarossa. Ready now to do a color pass and then work on a action shot like the first paint I did but with the refined anatomy and maxing out the baddass'o'meter, to put it eloquently... The middle arms connect around the lower back area, with an extra 'shoulder' joint where the limb clears the side of the body.

I'm itchin' to see this guy break some shit.
    goliath5.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Did two quick color studies-- can't decide which color pattern to go with. I could some input on this, as both make sense to me, and I've been staring at this thing for too long...

goliath5clr1.jpg

goliath5clr2.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    More-- I figured that while I'm deliberating on the color scheme, I can go ahead and work on the lighting. Here's a first attempt, albeit a little rough.

goliath5light1.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I discarded my hazy first pass at light/dark study in favor of a more aggressive one that I find reads better and will work as a base for the next step. I need to get cooking though, as I still want to do a second pose for the comp. Tick tock...

goliath6light1.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Last post on this pose, and then I'm putting it to bed for now in favor of the final action shot. I'm starting to work out how light works, emphasis here on 'starting'. But importantly, in working on this I resolved the anatomy issues and have a better idea of how the coloring is going to work. So, onward to the final pose. Hopefully it'll be something action-packed and dynamic, because that would be cool.

goliath7.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Ok, working on the next paint. Starting from thumbnails, trying to find a pose that I like. Also, these are intentionally vague-- I want leave the details of the pose for more spontaneous development.

thumbnails7.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Early work on the final paint.

I'm trying to give him some weight and atmosphere on this one, avoiding overt linework for now until I can start hammering out the details. For now, I'm just trying to get the pose right while juggling colors as well.

Oh, and that's a robot about to get smashed.

barbarossa1%20copy.jpg