Home General Discussion

Guitar Hero 3

mod
Is coming out tomorrow, anyone going to pick it up?

I have mine paid off, however I don't think I want to wait until 10 am so I'll probably just go to meijer tonight and buy it and play all night =)

This is also the first Guitar Hero with online play, so that means battles! bahaha!

The guitar hero website (www.guitarhero.com) also has tons of new features including tournaments and tour groups, as well as (of course) leaderboards.

If anyone is interested we can get a Polycount tour group up as well and rock out.

Rock!

Replies

• sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Been playing the demo, I have it pre-ordered for midnight release tonight. Finally beat "The Metal" on expert and my fingers are cramped as shit.

I'm just excited that Killswitch Engage is in there.

My gamertag is leesauce if anyone wants to play later.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    the Killswitch song is actually pretty fun except for the last minute (same 3 notes OVER AND OVER).

and yeah. the metal gives major cramps.
    Going now to cancel my GS pre-order and get my cash back since I just called meijer and they say they have some in stock for midnight.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Pre-ordered and prepaid for mine just a few days ago, looking forward to rocking out to Barracuda... for obvious reasons. wink.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I'm thinkin of picking it up here. I'm a bit torn between it and Rock Band though. I like the drums in Rock Band, and the general idea of it way more, but it's song list sucks in comparison. Only a few songs that really get me excited on it. :P I'll have to take a closer look at GH's. :P
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'll have to wait until christmas. If I were to buy it now, my wife would get pissed that I'm buying all the gift ideas wink.gif
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Got the game and I'm stuck on the second to last tier on expert. The skill needed skyrockets REALLY fast. Got to the second to last tier with only failing twice and now I can't even get 15% into any of the four new songs frown.gif
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah I noticed between some tiers it seemed to be a lot harder. Practice mode is your friend, and REMEMBER to strum correctly!

It's gonna be a bitch going through the entire game again tonight but whatever, I want to have dragonforce beaten day one =)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    well, I got it. Meijer took an extra 20 minutes before anyone even showed up at the counter where 30 people were waiting, then didn't have enough for everyone XD.

Kinda pissed because the controller isn't exactly all I hoped for. I love the shape, the buttons are good, strum bar is fine.. but no support for Play & Charge kit? Seriously?
    That's not even the worst problem.

My biggest gripe is not only does my blue button choose when it wants to function most of the time, but Star Power is completely random, and usually goes off instantly without my consent or control. Extremely annoying, but at least I won't be trying to 5* everything here like the last games thanks to a little game called Rock Band coming out soon... Either way.. very disappointing and I hope they will work with me to resolve these issues and get me a new guitar, or maybe the problems will clear up themselves.

Fun game though, they did a great job. Except for the social distortion song which is terrible and should not be in the game.

Oh, and the fact that you CANNOT (at least, currently) play The Devil Went Down To Georgia in quick play or co op, which is so bogus I can't even comprehend why unless it's to make another buck off the consumer who already paid for the song.

Blargh!

EDIT: Just did a battle (tom morello) and not even the BACK/SELECT button works (which is supposed to deploy star power)... this is not even cool anymore. at all. unplayable.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea Bouch I really agree with the star power going on randomly. I am using the 360 controller for the GH2 which is wired and I am having the same problem.

Love the videos between the venues in career, those are awesome.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Fuck. The killswitch song is the horrible horrible radio version. WHY DO THEY DO THIS TO ME?!

Also, why do the notes and the fretboard look nothing like they did in the demo I got off Live? Is it unlockable or something? I checked in the store and I couldn't find anything to buy that would unlock it. I liked the new look 100x more than the old one.

Also, is it just me or did they do a pretty shitty job on the note charts this time around? It goes out of sync a lot of the time, which makes it really difficult when you're playing to the beat/rhythm of the song but the notes tell you differently. Reminds me of the custom versions of GH2 for PS2 that people made.

Also, where the fuck is Bret Michaels? I heard he even got removed from the PS2/Wii version completely.

Kind of disappointed to be honest.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    The note charts are all fine and in sync. Try checking your delay/calibration in the options.

The notes and fretboard also look exactly like the demo. you are insane.

Bret Michaels is the singer in his own songs.

Main problem I'm having now is beating Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames on Expert, because I can't use star power is pretty much impossible. Argh. gonna try again later tonight. I've gotten around 70-80%.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    It seems like everything is perfectly in sync on Expert, but if you play Hard they didn't even try. There are a lot of similar complaints on the scorehero forums.

And the fucking online doesn't even work. I tried to join a match about 10 times and each time it would say Connection Failed. It seems that everyone else gets the same error. http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33637

Piece of shit.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also, is it just me or did they do a pretty shitty job on the note charts this time around? It goes out of sync a lot of the time, which makes it really difficult when you're playing to the beat/rhythm of the song but the notes tell you differently. Reminds me of the custom versions of GH2 for PS2 that people made.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that was probably the benefit of having Harmonix, a game dev studio full of musicians, developing it versus having just about anyone else do it. The founders of Harmonix are grads from MIT, you know. I remember when I was at Liquid we were working on the prototype for what eventually would become GH and has now become Rock Band. They were total sticklers for having the visual queues dead on with the beat of the music. They were a total pain in the ass to work with but I can now see how their attention to detail paid off.

I'm pretty sure with Activision buying Red Octane and taking the reigns on GH we will pretty much see this franchise go the way of Madden; Yearly releases with a steady decline in quality. I'll save my $$ for Rock Band instead.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay beat Dragonforce on hard....holy fuck expert is insane.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    disappointing to hear about all the problems. was thinking about picking this up for the 360 if and when i buy one in the next few weeks but maybe i should just buy Naruto and Lego StarWars Complete Saga instead.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    I bought it and while I haven't owned or played any of the previous versions, I have to say I'm loving it. I got the wireless 360 bundle and everything is working awesome. Im pretty lowly in the skills department, so I went through on easy, and I'm about to beat it on medium. As far as notes being out of sync, they aren't, but on the lower levels they seem to put the notes on the offbeats and it just feels a bit out of time when your strumming the notes that aren't the major beat holders. Did they use a program to transpose the notes or are they all hand placed?

If this is "Legends" then where is Kieth Richards, Clapton, Eddie Van Halen, Angus Young, Stevie Ray, etc. as playable characters or extra bosses? Oh and we can't get one Hendrix song on the entire "Legends" game?

Those are about my only gripes thus far.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Picked it up this morning, got a few sessions in before I started working on the 'cuda, then went over to my buddy's place for a bbq and proceeded to rock out all evening. Loving this game, totally worth the buy. smile.gif
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So being the GH noob here, how long does it take to start getting the hang of the orange button? I do great with 4 buttons but the 5th just kills me.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    im also a GH noob, I can never nail the orange button either. have a hard enough time getting the blue one wink.gif
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    The trick is to move your fingers down 1 fret button. So for me, my fingers are on red, yellow, blue, and orange. I then use my index finger for green and red. This was how I learned to get the hang of including the 5th button.

After a while you'll get used to it and can switch up and down the fret buttons without even thinking.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The trick is to move your fingers down 1 fret button. So for me, my fingers are on red, yellow, blue, and orange. I then use my index finger for green and red. This was how I learned to get the hang of including the 5th button.

After a while you'll get used to it and can switch up and down the fret buttons without even thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think my trial and errors were leading me that way, it's a shame all of the button memory from easy and medium will be out of the window, considering my home position was the first 4 buttons. grin.gif

Oh well just means more practice! confused.gif
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Just need to find the right technique for yourself. I think it may take a few months to get the hang of the 5th fret, maybe a few weeks of you play night and day wink.gif

I learned to play with Frets on Fire and Guitar Freaks before giving in and Picking up Guitar Hero II smile.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I just got done beating One. I have played raining blood so many times and I can't get past Mosh1.

My arm hurts so much :'(
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    omfg, I am battle lou right now. FUCK im going to rip my hair out!

Any tips?!
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I cant give tips for harder difficulty, but on the boss battle I fought on medium, easy, and beginning of hard, hold power up until the opponent comes to a power up streak, then hit them to prevent them from getting the item. If you can save up a couple of items, let them all loose at once, particularly during one of the opponent's fast runs.

I'm picking up the orange button pretty good. After a few issues in tier 1 I shot right up to tier 5 without too many issues on hard mode. Some of the stuff just kicks my ass. I've seen a lot of ppl say this game isn't very kind to newcomers in the franchise, but I'm loving it and toughing it out!
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the boss battles on expert just try to accumulate 3 powerups and when the boss comes to a part where there are a ton of notes just use all 3 of the powerups in a row and that should beat him.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    sonic, that battle took me so ridiculously long on ps2, then on 360 I pretty much nailed it first try. my advice? LEARN THE SONG. be able to play it flawlessly, it's not that bad.

If you get a whammy and a double note, use that on his tremolo picking after your second powerup. if you get anything else, use it to disrupt his power up collecting, then just battle it out until the last minute or two of the song when it starts doing the triple strums again, if you get that far they practically hand feed you power ups, just make sure you get all those (they are pretty easy and come every 6 seconds or so), just fire them off as you get them, by the time one runs out you will have another. That's how I beat him and it works damn well, but you have to be able to get that far for this strategy.

Whammy is bad ass, and it almost took him out alone at the tremelo part
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    lol
    I played GH3 for the first time just now in the break room and did vs battle on Weezer - My name is Jonas. Expert: 456/460 notes!
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    Glad to see people enjoying the fruits of our labor! smile.gif
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I just saw the casey lynch model. She looks great!
    Much better than GH2's. Good job man
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    woot, just beat through the fire and flames this morning, first try! haven't had much time to play because of all my schoolwork but boy am I glad I finished that song haha
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I'm at the last tier and can't do 2 of the songs. Tooo fast hahahaha

That "Impulse" bonus song is really sweet!
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i can only get up to 81% on Dragonforce -Through the Fire and Flames on easy

T_T
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Just finished it on Coop Hard. Ridiculous! We got through 99.95% Metallica's One and got booed off the stage with two notes left! Finally got through the song the next try.

Now I have to get through Hard alone to unlock the last few songs.

I think this is my favorite in terms of songs to play. *scrap the rest, just saw Neversoft didn't have much to do with the PS2 version.*
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I got 71% on medium for the Dragonforce song. It's mean, real mean!

I fived starred easy, then five starred medium (damn Raining Blood by Slayer gave me fits to five star), and now I'm almost through hard though I haven't 5 starred much. That damn orange button. Oh how I loathe thee!

It's funny how on easy and medium you really get good with quick phrasing, runs, hammer on's and pull off's and then they throw the orange button at you! I'll be doing awesome and then the orange button comes down the screen and I quickly deteriorate to a retarded chimp with no hands! It kinda reminds me of the computer scene in Zoolander.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't played too much but I went through a bunch of songs at a friend's place.

Cliffs of Dover on hard is possibly the most fun I've had in terms of the note chart. Really catchy, really well done. Even when the notes are going all over the place it just felt so right even on the first play. I'll have to go back and play expert; see if it's overkill or not. I found a few of the songs were just kind of ridiculous with the note spamming. Didn't feel fun or skillful. There's a lot of good ones, though.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    cliffs is freaking perfect on expert, one of my favorite songs to play, easy.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Expert mode is killing my hands on Career mode. Can't even get past the intro on slipknot in tier 7
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    The Slipknot song is difficult on expert. You really have to have a system down for how to get your fingers to press down the various 2 and 3-button notes.
    The killer bit is the near the end where you're moving between green/yellow red/blue yellow/orange
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    saw GH3 on display at Best Buy yesterday on a large, widescreen, HD TV. ooooh pretty.
    this was at the entrance to the store. the poor little Rock Band demo kit was stuffed back in an isle of the games section.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    was playing the demo on my friends projector... I can't see any other way to play this game
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, SuperOstrich, give props to the guy that made Lou, he rocks!
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, thanks man! He was my favorite guy to work on. smile.gif
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah, I see what you did there.

smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been playing through it on easy and medium, and taking the game / hdd over to my buddy's place on weekends. We pass the guitar around and everyone gives the songs of their choice a go. We stopped dead at the Devil guitar battle yesterday... it's just gotten too insane for us at this point.

Raining Blood by Slayer on easy is a friggin nightmare, nevermind on medium.

I <3 Through the Fire and the Flames on easy, it's become my 'warmup' song. smile.gif

Definitely gonna have a hard time adjusting to the orange button, not to mention the higher end medium songs. I cant comfortably hold four fingers on the guitar, so anytime there's a jump from blue to green or something similar my hand just falls apart. frown.gif
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    randybig1194303044.jpg

Can't wait to Wednesdaygrin.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, the more I listen to 181.fm's net radio station "The Eagle", the more it hits me that GH3 really shouldn't have the title "Legends of Rock"... there's so many great 'oldies' that really should fall under that title that don't appear in the game. A good sized chunk of the songs in the game are relatively new, and hardly can be called 'legendary'.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there are plenty of legendary rockers in the game, although I don't think that you need to take a subtitle so seriously. smile.gif

Kiss, Cream, Rolling Stones, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Santana, Eric Johnson, Iron Maiden, Metallica. A few more might even qualify depending on your personal tastes. Can't have all the songs in the game classic rock.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Can't have all the songs in the game classic rock.

[/ QUOTE ] frown.gif

Doesn't have to be all classic rock, I just find a song like "Ruby" very hard to define as Legendary. tongue.gif

Oh, and don't get me wrong, abso-friggin-lutely having a blast with the game.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    We got an NTSC copy of the game for our office on Monday, we had the Tuesday off (Melbourne Cup Day) so I managed to take it home and give it a good run.
    Playing through on Expert at the moment and haven't had any real issues and passing everything first go. Until I reached the Aerosmith song. FFS! I don't know why, but I just couldn't get through it. It seemed as though I was getting severely punished for incorrect notes and not rewarded enough for note streaks. I tried a good ten times before I cracked the shits, threw the guitar and pulled the power out of my PS2. Funnily enough, I came back the next day and passed it first go.
    The battles are pretty cool, and I also like how most of the songs are the actual originals rather than just covers. I find doing pull-offs/ons are so much easier now that the notes are glowing to indicate where they are possible to do.
    Will definitely be picking up a copy on PS2 on release here in Australia.

-caseyjones