Home General Discussion

Game remakes you'd love to see

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
I was reading the Bio Shock thread and it got me to reminiscing about how amazing SS2 was - easily one of the most atmospheric games I have ever played, totally spooky. The only sad thing is that, as with all old games, the graphics haven't aged very well. This puts me in the mood to discuss one of my favorite gaming topics: if you could take any games you have ever played (PC, console, whatever) and have them developed today as shot-for-shot recreations, what would they be?

For me, SS2 is a great choice, but I have two others. First, I would love to play Deus Ex again. The game is six years old or so and I *still* have it installed - probably the most 'complete' single-player FPS game I've ever experienced, and I'd pay double to go through that game again with full environmental surround sound and graphics atop Unreal Engine 3 graphics.

The other game that I would love to see modernized would be Planescape: Torment. It got less press than Black Isle's other DND games, but man, this game was inspirational. The concept was unique, the characters were interesting, and the art direction was just exemplary on every level. It had issues with stability and the interface, but the real downside is that the Infinity Engine was 2D, and that the resolution was really low. How great would it be if this game was done today with one of the top-shelf RTS 3D engines, like Battle For Middle-Earth II? I wouldn't want Black Isle to change a thing about the game, just give it to me with luscious 3D goodness!

So what games would you guys want to see revisited with modern technology? The first person who asks for normal-mapped Frogger gets a punch in the nose smile.gif

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    fallout , a somesort of first person mixed with the rpg...would be awesome, but with art true to it like nuclear dawn etc...
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    i second you on dues ex and SS2... shot for shot remakes of both of those games would be..well.. loads better than anything out there now.

never played planescape....heard it was good though.

I wouldn't mind a remake of the original Dark Forces... back when the goal was simply to have an FPS in the SW world.. no jedi crap..just you, yours gun, lots of cool environments, puzzles and badguys.. It didn't do anything new, but it did it all soooo well.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    Deus Ex definatly. I'd really like a proper sequal ( DX Invisable war does not count mad.gif ) A remake of Blood would be good too. Oh how I miss the napalm cannon. laugh.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Xcom, don't change anything, just have swanky 3d graphics
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    agree with a new fallout, but no first person crap.
    a new syndicate would be great.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Looking over at my wall-o-game-boxes for games I've really enjoyed over the years, two I wouldn't mind seeing Interstate '76 remade, as well as Shogo:MAD. Seeing how sweet Test Drive Unlimited is, and how well they handled the MP for that game, I think that crew would be perfect for handling a remake of I76.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    Strife
    Outcast
    Iron Helix

Just to name a few.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    how could i forget interstate 76 and shogo ?!?!? been trying to find shogo and havent suceeded its not on any store...

i rembmer playing interstate on my pentium 133 , really rocked the world along with a kiddy game called "mortimer" eheh...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    verm, the system shock 2 high-poly model replacement mod might interest you, http://mods.moddb.com/3329/system-shock-rebirthhigh-poly-pack/
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Well though I think we still need to explore new ideas in the field before falling back on old. I do see soo many redos of the same thing for the younger audience whom they can play it off as "new" game play. So why not take the creme of the crop?

But seriously, we really need to go back even farther.
    Nobunaga's Ambition (That could be epic if done right)
    Hero's Quest
    Oregon Trail (Im serious.. make it a FPA to really engage the player).
    Zork
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hero's Quest

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, they remade that once already, don't think we need a third remake.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Syndicate, yeah baby.

And I haven't played it, but I'm sure many people would like a Fallout remake.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So was Oregon Trail Noel, but last time they did it was somewhat corny with bad actors and motion video which ruined the experience.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if we're gonna remake REALLY old games...why don't get just go all the way back to Lemonade Stand....

actually, i typed that as a joke....but that might make an interesting form for an RTS... with the center battleground being filled with 'customers' that you have to sway towards your shop...
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Aha! I knew that someone else had played Planescape:Torment! laugh.gif

Seconded and thirded! The art direction and character development in that game were second to none. The world really felt alive, like it existed in some alternate dimension that was stuck at 800*600. grin.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link, Rooster - never heard of that, but it looks awesome.

Reading through the games you guys mentioned makes me think of another point. I missed the original Fallout, just never had a copy around, so I know it's a great game only by reputation. I'm not interested in downloading an antique game with low-quality graphics just to see what I missed, but I would definitely buy the game if it was remade with modern technology. Think of how many games could be re-marketed like that, just giving classics a huge facelift.

I forgot to mention the 'virtual' 3D Tex Murphy games from Access Software. Absolute classics, and I'd love to play Under a Killing Moon again if it wasn't 12 years old!
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I forgot to mention the 'virtual' 3D Tex Murphy games from Access Software. Absolute classics, and I'd love to play Under a Killing Moon again if it wasn't 12 years old!

[/ QUOTE ]

Fuck me, someone else who's played those games exists :O
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I *love* those games. I actually have a personalized autographed copy of Overseer, the box is signed by Chris Jones writing in his 'Tex' persona. Hard to be a bigger geek than that laugh.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    shogo and blood... hmmmm interesting

/end joke

The dig rocked!
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    This is going to date me somewhat, but I'd like to see a Kid Icarus remake. Oh wait, fuck that, Bionic Commando!

As much as I love 3D, NES=greatest console ever. smile.gif

I'm also tempted to say Goldeneye, but then again the blocky characters add to its charm, and modern tech would probably ruin it for me.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    shogo and blood... hmmmm interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

You know something we don't oh Mr. Monolith??? Ohh Ohh Im going to start unfounded rumors about a new Shogo: Mobile Armor Division!
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Instead of mecha have them make some poor parody game on the horrible ninja/warrior anime fad of these days instead.

p.s. rc pro am, blake stone, and super puzzle fighter 2 turbo remakez plz ALSO RAMPART
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RC Pro Am.

I would love to work on that... (And get fired right away when I tell the the designer he's doing it all wrong! Which I would)
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh hell yes, bionic commando!!!!! of course..you'd have to add a jump button this time, which might change the gameplay a little...
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, but think of it...jumping off a ledge, then swinging around, Spiderman-like, with your bionic arm.

And remember at the end, when the commander guy calls you a "damn fool", I'm surprised Nintendo let that slide back then. But at that time, any curse word in a videogame=INSTANT AWESOMENESS.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HIS HEAD ALSO EXPLODES IN A BLOODY MESS DON'T FORGET THAT

and also don't forget it's THE Hitler too

bcsig.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid Icarus! How in the world has Nintendo NOT remade that game? Even if they weren't shot-for-shot translations, look at how successful Super Metroid and Metroid Prime have been. This is a no-brainer, the world needs high-poly Eggplant Wizards!
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha that hitler dude was awesome.. most impossible, just-press-a-button-and-hope-you-hit-his-damn-helicopter ending ever.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Desert/Jungle/Urban strike could be cool.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn that was quick work there, CheapAlert!

Haha I'm glad there are still some NES lovers out there, I'm getting all teary-eyed now...eggplant wizards and exploding Hitler heads, the NES had it all.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    how could i forget interstate 76 and shogo ?!?!? been trying to find shogo and havent suceeded its not on any store...

i rembmer playing interstate on my pentium 133 , really rocked the world along with a kiddy game called "mortimer" eheh...

[/ QUOTE ]

Shogo uh? now i know what to get you for Xmas present!

Id also like to see Xcom remake.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Ill third the vote for XCom.

And I want to make a sequal to metal storm.
    Talk about physics based gameplay. laugh.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    kid icarus!!! hands down favorite game, wouldnt mind seeing it in 3d.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Again, of course with the Bionic Commando.

Was Metal Storm the mech action game where you could get the gravity to flip? Or is that the turn based RTS with the mechs?

Hard to think of my more favorite games, that haven't already been remade in 3d (weather it was good or not).

Star Control would be pretty awesome, or maybe something new from good ol Ultima.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    oxy, haha no but both of those are games i would love to see carried on, but who knows if that could ever happen.

I want to see a new ultima game even more openended than morowind.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Joust frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

this, and captain commando

i almost shed a tear in remembrance of joust3d
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Xeno: yeah it was the flipping gravity one.
    My mind is ablaze with ways to extend that basic concept to a 3d shooter.
  • nabeel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nabeel polycounter lvl 18
    There's one possible problem when it comes to remakes though. How much of the original game should be remade? Are we talking just a graphics overhaul, or changing even the gameplay mechanics, or the story?
    I know that the games you've all mentioned in this thread are games that you think are 'perfect', and the only thing you'd really want is a fresh new lick of paint, but that's because you love them and wouldn't want the basic experience changed. Whereas the next person might think "... Well I didn't like the weapons degrading in System Shock 2, that really sucked, so I think that part should be taken out." How far can a dev house go in changing the game before it starts becoming less of a remake and more of a new game? It becomes especially an issue with classic games that are well loved, because then you have the weight of thousands of rabid fanboys that are ready for the throat at any mistep.

As far as my own opinion, I think while I'd love quite a few remakes, I don't know if they could really be done justice. I'm all for sequels or 'spiritual successors' that draw inspiration from original games and try and bring a similar experience.
    ... Alright, fine, if this was a perfect world I'd demand remakes of the first System Shock, Chrono Trigger (SNES) and Blast Corps (N64) crazy.gif
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Part of it might just be good old nostalgia, but yeah it would be a challenge to remake a game but still keep the feel of the original. Excitebike for the N64 was a perfect example of how to do it right.

I'll second Chrono Trigger...
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally, I'd prefer that if a game is to be remade, it be shown in a new light. The developer would have to be responsible for improving gameplay where they thought it could be improved, improving graphics if necessary, etc.

It's a bit like how Batman Begins was done -- it's not a remake or a continuation of an old Batman film. Instead, they revised it and created their own idea of how the film should play out.

Doubt that makes any sense right now, but it's 1:20am so what the hell. Worse comes to worst, I'll edit this post to be coherent in the morning.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    When I worked at a grocery store the monolith guys that came through my checkout line I would always tell them to remake shogo...loved that game! MAKE IT SO TGZ!!!

Other games; Syndicate Wars, Crusader:No Remorse, Xenogears and the greatest shooter ever made....

chex00.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    and the greatest shooter ever made....

chex00.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I remember that game... it actually wasn't half bad, for marketing propaganda that comes free in a cereal box.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i now remember a fun one : mudball wall.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    A desuckified version of Adventure of Link. Sidescrolling Zelda can be awesome but the design paradigms prevalent in the NES era fucked the game up badly. Something like Metroid Zero Mission which was a desuckified Metroid.

Other than that, Stratosphere because it won't run on 2k.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    a fallout MMo?...nah...I love the series, but the last couple of games were way below average...let's hope bethesda pulls off something nice...

I would like to see a remake of OUt of this World/ Heart of the ALien....
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell yeah, Crusader! Man I forgot about that game, but it was great.