Home General Discussion

Say a prayer for my little girl

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jzero polycounter lvl 18
This is kind of hard to post, because the whole situation is so freaking complicated. But I thought I might let you guys know, rather than not. Here's the abridged version.

My daughter, 8 years old, got sick at the beginning of last week with some kind of virus. It started as a stomach virus that killed her appetite, and after we put her in the hospital for dehydration, she developed respiratory symptoms, which got progressively worse. She's in the Pediatric ICU now, and last night they had to put her on the ventilator. That's the machine that does her breathing for her. She's not in danger of dying now, but she's not better yet.

Now, my nuclear family (me + wife + son + daughter) are not strangers to the hospital. Both my kids are genetically immune-deficient, and get really expensive treatments every month (and each sports a cool intravenous port implant for that purpose). My son (11 years old) has had medical problems his entire life, and he was on the vent for two weeks and in ICU for two months about five years ago. That was just about the worst time we've ever had. We're old hands at this, but this is a return to some territory we'd rather not have seen again.

My daughter is in better shape than my son ever was at this same juncture, so we expect recovery... we just don't know when, exactly. She's got loads of chance, but the next few days are critical in the extreme. There isn't too much road between here and the end, if you get my meaning.

I'm not what you call religious, but I do happen to believe that directed positive (or negative) emotions have some influence over probability and other intangible routes of existence. "The power of prayer", they call it in church. We have crowds of family and friends pulling for us, but I thought that appealing to yet another community of mutual regard (the mighty Green and Black) couldn't hurt a bit.

So if you want to, send up a little bit of positive energy to your chosen Higher Power, or simply straight to my little girl. Her name is Jessica Marshall, and she's stuck in a hole that she's got to pull herself out of. She could use a little help from everyone reading this.

Thanks, everyone. I'll post updates.

/jzero

Blatant schmaltz:

snowday.jpgsoldalottacookies.jpg

Replies