Home Technical Talk

What do you think about using base mesh, tools, and Addons?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Valcroz polycounter lvl 4

Hi, (not English native).
I am currently studying Video Game Design, during several of the class projects I use different base mesh or programs to speed up my work in 3D modeling, but I want to know what people think, I have read very different comments on the subject, some say it is valid , Since speeding up your work is the most important thing in the industry. Others say using these programs will discredit you as an artist.

In summary:
- Would you recommend using programs and/or add-ons for 3D modeling?

-Do You disapprove their use in any way?

PS:
-I leave samples of my works, listing the programs and extras that I use during their development.

-Recently started to work with Zbrush, and I came across this Addon. I found it awesome. I'm planning to buy it. 
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWO4nk6Fo-w

Modified base mesh made with Make Human, and rework on Blender:

Final results:

Base Mesh bought in gumroad.com for 1 USD, clothing made in marvelous designer, the armor modeled in Blender and the details in zbrush:

Final Results:

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Seems perfectly valid to me.

The reason most shun it is because it's a good trap for beginners to fall into. They won't understand the model etc. which will cause problems later on.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I agree with Axi5. As a beginner you should learn to model these things first before using pre-built meshes. For both practice and experience. It's like the difference between a 'script-kiddie' and a real programmer.
  • Valcroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valcroz polycounter lvl 4
    I agree. I know the process and everything (unfortunately I lost all my characters created from scratch by a computer virus). But to illustrate, let's say I want to participate in the "Bi-Monthly Character Art Challenge", and I use a base created with the ZBrush addon I leave in the post, I'm afraid that using that kind of tools will disqualify me or make me "less professional" than other participants who modeled everything from zero.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on the nature of the challenge. If you're focused purely on concepting a design in zbrush, most people wouldn't fault you for using a base mesh you didn't make, or had prepared beforehand. The exception there is that you're using a generic human shape, and not something like a premade half human/half spider kind of basemesh.

For addons, scripts and such, I agree with the others. It's easy for a novice to go ballistic and download everything in sight, but having the experience to use them effectively, or being able to work without them is the key part. It's like that guy who buys a truckload of gear for his first camping trip.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    do what ever is needed to create the asset... 

if you like to learn something special do it from scratch...
    but dont waste your time with modeling hundred of heads from a box... i did that and still do...
    but it does not help to get an better artist... its just for fun... after the 10th head from a box/sphere you know how to do it..
    would be better to spend those first 2h of head modeling in learning anatomy...

in a nutshell... do both... 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Usually the competition restriction are laid out clearly. Ive taken part in the character challenge in the past and they are a pretty friendly bunch. Other competitions have clearly stated rules such as : no premade base meshes. However I dont really see the fun in using a premade mesh. Part of the kick for me is seeing the character grow from, well, nothing.
  • Larry
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Better put the effort in making them yourself at the beginning. Going straight to an addon that creates it for you will give you free time, but will rob you from experience. Many studios and even AAA studios dont bother wasting time creating something from 0 if there is a generator that helps them speed up. Huge example is speedtree and megascans, they have put the effort on creating photorealistic customisable assets for a scene and many professionals use them.