Home General Discussion

SuperMarioOdyssey looks like hot trash

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
Is it good to have that many art styles in one game? I don't know about gameplay but the art looks bad to me. Just wanted to know what other artist think? 

Replies

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Oh... That is kinda bad in areas. They even went full Sonic the Hedgehog and introduced a bunch of normal-ass looking humans. Apparently Mario is actually a dwarf, too, which is interesting. I mean, compared to Peach, I probably should have caught on to that. It just surprised me to see it laid out so overtly.
    I think the pseudo-photo-realism of the city is meant to contrast it with the Mushroom Kingdom and mark it as the human world that Mario comes from, but it doesn't play out well. Especially since Mario himself doesn't look at all like that.
    I don't think that was canon though, was it? I think I only got that from the old Mario movie.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    I personally love the idea that each area is a new world and that they use a new "artstyle" for each one to really hammer it home.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I think it's really interesting, and I look forward to seeing more about it in the future. I really like how each different world is truly a different world.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I like the look of this area:

• Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    I cant help but feel nintendo have lost their way. Less and less a cohesive IP and more and more random, uninspired nonsense. They could have transformed the world of mario we've had into something truly magical, taking what was previously just backdrop and reinventing it for exploration, opening it up for both new fans and older gamers. elaborating and tying into all the little things fans have picked up on over the years. Instead they seem to have gone random and pointless.

Similarly Zelda seems largely uninspired, and though I've seen none of the proper content (just the demos), from what I can see it frankly looks like what you except a decent indie studio to output, not a world-leading developer. Visually its muddy and messy, its hardly iconic, unlike say, windwaker which whilst contentious, was at least striking, quite unique and very well executed.

They get the kids in as ever - but what happens to those of us that have now aged a bit and actually expect some level of substance from Nintendo. A substantial world for a character we've grown to love, not a vapid mess of random. I'm not asking for adult themes, im not asking for edgy content, im just asking for substance and cohesion.

They've watered down their IPs, mario is no longer a universe, just a character and at that point he's begun to lose his value imo. I'm not really a nintendo fan any more it seems :/
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    It looks really good to me. I think every Mario game sounds like it'll be an illogical mess, but they make it work. I don't plan on getting a Nintendo Switch, though.

Video for the lazy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM

• Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    The actual game looks like a blast, there's a lot going on there. But the art for sure looks below their standard in places. Wouldn't be surprised if it was delayed from Dec 2017.
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pioldes polycounter lvl 5
    Agreed, it's all over the place, a lot of good ideas and some really cool places, but it's terribly incoherent.
  • putka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    I thought Zelda looked pretty strange with realistic environment textures and flat/cartoon shaded characters. It's well executed but I don't enjoy clashing styles  :# The effects look great though.
  • Bumblebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumblebee polycounter lvl 3
    havent seen this one. Sorry but it looks like its being prototyped at this point
  • Bumblebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumblebee polycounter lvl 3
    some models are like out of ps2 era.
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    I like the look of this area:

I agree it seems to be the only part that fits the character 
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think we can all agree if you like it or not its incoherent and Mario seems out of place
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I think we can all agree / edited for brevity / Mario seems out of place
    Yes, I can agree. But again, I think that's a conscious choice.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    hot trash is not what I would use..I think it looks interesting. Gameplay looks solid though and this is only what we want from a Mairo game
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    Good for them! Looks interesting, they're getting alot of contrast between worlds if each world also has it's own art style to make them stand out more.
    The city world seems like an obvious " Game character stepped into real-life" kind of deal. While the others seem to have their other distinct styles aswell. 
    I find it interesting, it's obviously incoherent by choice. I don't mind that. 
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    Sure, Mario stands out. The toons in Who Framed Roger Rabbit stood out too. Wreck-It Ralph had mismatched styles and themes. It doesn't always work, but it can. I think it works here.
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This has all happened before 
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Ended well for sonic, now all i see of him is in that guy who does new levels for the old games.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Miyamoto at the treehouse event said something about being interested in Mario being in places he might not really fit in, or something to that effect.
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    I like it end of story :D also i guess the out of place look is wanted, like travelling into a different dimension where stuff is totally different.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I really agree that it's visually jarring, it does remind me of Mario Bros Super Show and Adventures of Super Mario Bros 3 where in both the brothers visit the real world. In those however the real world still has a cartoony look so it doesn't make the Mario Bros stand out that much xD
  • Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    I thought it was pretty good looking. Only thing that really bothered me was the city area. It needs more of that cartoony/Mario feel to it. If the civilians at least looked a bit more like other human characters in the series then I'd be alright. Or a whole different species like what they did for the townspeople in Super Mario Sunshine.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I mean, the "real" city looked quite jarring but I think they showcased it because it was relatively well polished. The dark forest area on the other hand looked really bad to me, maybe I'm spoiled with seeing more cutting edge stuff being used the last few years but damn it's ugly.

The cartoony desert town was fine for me if a bit sparse, gave me a mario sunshine sort of feel, and I like others I thought the super bright polygonal level looked the best.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    This doesn't bother me at all, but people can say rude things about this game and it's developer without consequence;
    yet if I say anything about the ill practices of a certain company the brigade will appear and jeer? 
    How fair is that?

No one seems to be proclaiming that the person who posted this thread needs therapy; or make baseless claims that he destroyed his life by posting this.  
    Kinda a strange double standard wouldn't you say? 

In any case this seems interesting at best, but I am getting station square vibes from that realistic city. 

• Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Doesn't bother me at all, I think it looks quite nice.

Of course, potentially unpopular opinion - but I've never considered Mario games or the things therein to have good design anyway.  It's a whole lot of "huehuehue, let's take this normal object or animal, make it all round and put a silly face on it...yes...genius!"  (You know, since so much of it is things like this guy.  Oh look it's a hammerhead, let's call it "Rammerhead" and make its "ram" a stupid cylinder that's just pasted awkwardly onto where the face bit should be.")

So given that opinion, I'm not generally playing Mario games for good design or things that are super inspired - I play them because they're more colorful and lighthearted than a lot of other games that are available, I have me some nostalgia goggles, and the silly old man goes "Yahoooo!" when I jump sometimes.

I'm just glad it's not a damn sidescroller or entirely restrictive 2.5D type camera deal, or at least not all the time.  Looks to be more the likes of Mario 64, Galaxy, or Sunshine - bit more explory, which were all more fun for me than the Mario Bros games or the one that came out for the Wii U.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Man, I really would have liked to see another Donkey Kong Country on release. Tropical Freeze was easily in my top 10 this year. Based on the short glance at this game, it seems pretty lack luster. We'll see how it goes though, I've been down with pretty much every Mario game to date. What I really need is another Mario 3d Land, and or a Mario 3D world/DKC cross over. Talk about a party. 
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Also, the name of the city Mario is in, (in the clip) Is New Donk CIty, and thats pretty great. 
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    @pmiller001 Retro so far hasn't revealed what they're working on yet for the Switch so we can just hope they will make a third DKC game because I want one too, and I want them to make a trilogy just like RARE did. I bought a Wii U just for DKCTF, so yeah.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Thank god someone said it,
    I was beginning to think I was alone in thinking it looked like crap.

I mean,

First thing you learn as an artist is,
    putting a bunch of different aesthetics together is a bad idea.
    and you don't even need good hardware to do that, it's just common sense

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I wonder how much of this response is simply because of how the trailer was edited together showing all these different looks in quick succession versus playing the game naturally and watching things unfold at a slower pace

was definitely jarring in the trailer but i'd be lying if I said it didnt hype me the fuck up for more godlike mario platforming action
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Yeah, fdfxd2, gotta keep those artists in a box, because everyone knows you can't mix aesthetics all willy nilly.

...I'm kidding, of course you can. Your opinion doesn't make a rule.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Joopson said:
    Yeah, fdfxd2, gotta keep those artists in a box, because everyone knows you can't mix aesthetics all willy nilly.

Okay yeah it worked for gumball and maybe that one movie with a rabbit and something to do with basketball(Forgot the name),
    It's a real disappointment when you look at Zelda

And then you look at mario's version of "NYC"

The rest of the trailer's fine though.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I think it look awesome ! From my point of view they decided to go back to the mario 64 multiple painting world kind of style and that's awesome !! I think mario is the perfect game to make those alternative level world, nothing in mario ever made any sense ever. It's a plumber in a mushroom kingdom saving a princess from a giant mean turtle, so why not do it all over the place !!

I'm really looking forward to it, only this that made me really "sad" about that trailer is HOW BAD the anti-aliasing looks, there's just simply none of it which is terrible for a home console, i really couldn't care less about the fact the texture look flat and simple and there's no complex super high poly modeling, it's freakin mario it alwars look that way.. but the anti-aliasing ;__; nope.
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:

I get being different i really do, all im saying is i wish it looked like it belonged gumball works because everything in that world looks like it would be there because the lighting is amazing maybe that is whats missing from what we seen.  
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Why go with "SuperMarioOdyssey looks like hot trash"?
    Isn't that a little... Disrespectful to a group of people that have consistently shown time and time again that they know what they're doing? 
    I mean, by all means discuss inconsistencies in the art direction and how that could positively or negatively effect the game; what you like dont like, etc. Those conversations are always fun and insightful.
     But "Hot trash", really?  You can be a better person that. 

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    MrHobo said:
    Isn't that a little... Disrespectful to a group of people that have consistently shown time and time again that they know what they're doing? 
    I mean, by all means discuss inconsistencies in the art direction and how that could positively or negatively effect the game; what you like dont like, etc. Those conversations are always fun and insightful.

Nintendo is a billion dollar company. It's their job to convince people why they should ultimately like their game including all the art/graphics that comes with it.

While I personally wont refer to other games/art like that, I wont exactly lose sleep over it (especially when "trash" will end up making bank for them anyway).
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in the camp that was a bit suprised at the trailer.

While I get that they are aiming for a "visit different worlds" vibe, I just don't like it.  I think making each world follow a different style will look like an undirected, inconsistent mess.  I don't like that in one shot I see a city street with gritty textures and modeled in asphalt chunks, and in the next I see a hand painted, stylized texture.  It looked to me like the game lacks identity, and if this is the route they take on purpose, I will probably not change my mind about that :( 

That being said, its Nintendo, and its a flagship Mario game.  The fact that they are calling back to the Mario 64/Sunshine type of game makes me stupid happy.  I'm still sold already just based on that, even if I think the footage so far was quite rough.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    New footage of more in-depth gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trGv-v2Ng68

Yep! Same mechanics from 64/Sunshine + the new cap bounce thingy! 

This outta be fun kids!
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo said:

it dose look bad yes thats just my opinion but lots of things look bad i'm being blunt and upfront about it. i find it more disrespectful to lie and pretend that it looks good to me and I love mario but you can be a good artist and make a mistake. As much as people online want to trash something in a nice way they are still trashing it. Using nicer words dosnt really change anything. 
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I lose no sleep over calling it trash because Mario doesn't match the world he is in. The game Comic book jumper had a character go between worlds and it looked good. I'm not calling the artist themselves trash but the decision they made with this game is a mistake I think. 
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    There's critiquing, and then there's being a jerk. I mean, sure, the same information is conveyed, but the latter makes you seem ignorant and unsympathetic.
    And frankly, probably makes people think you wouldn't be an agreeable coworker.
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:
    There's critiquing, and then there's being a jerk. I mean, sure, the same information is conveyed, but the latter makes you seem ignorant and unsympathetic.
    And frankly, probably makes people think you wouldn't be an agreeable coworker.
    Well in this case I'll be a jerk then. :smile: I dont care what people think. 

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The city as a playground looks fun gameplay wise. The NPCs, cars and having everything locked on a grid is a bit odd. I feel like it could fit the Mario world with some really minor tweaks, but at the current state almost gives an "this doesn't feel right" (almost uncanny valley) vibe. 
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I think that's it. The city itself looks OK but the weirdness comes from the ambience, there being only like 2 unique NPCs, reskinned and all wearing the same 1940s style attire; also the fact that there's no cars except taxis, making very scripted turns. I guess they needed to showcase that part of the game since it's probably the hub.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't get it yet, I need more info. There is either a fun game there waiting to show it's self or they are planning to do a mixed tape of stuff they shelved? 

Either way, I'm not picking up what they're laying down, yet.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    MrHobo said:

i really hope this "respect" you have will pay off. like literally. i hope they send you a check or something for standing up for them against bullies on the internet.
    otherwise its ill placed.

if i said "i hate pancakes" would you go "uuhh how can you say that, think of all the chefs making pancakes, how will they feel now?"

it wasnt personal until you made it so.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    But if you go into a pancake restaurant, and tell them "These pancakes taste like hot trash", well, it's a little different.

But if you say "I don't really like pancakes", that's absolutely fine. Because not everyone likes pancakes.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    and this is the official nintendo forums then?

and even if it was what JordanN said is still true. they are a gigantic company making a product. not someones kid making macarony pictures.
    if you make a commercial product, you cant take criticism of that product personally. or you can, but its not the audiences responsibility to spare your feelings.

and what i reacted most to in mrhobos post was the "Isn't that a little... Disrespectful to a group of people that have consistently shown time and time again that they know what they're doing? " implying that nintendo is above criticism. and trying to shove your own opinion and taste onto other people like that, is inconsiderate and ignorant. its art, to make an assumption that everyone likes what you like, is a really bad starting point for a discussion.

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    and what i reacted most to in mrhobos post was the "Isn't that a little... Disrespectful to a group of people that have consistently shown time and time again that they know what they're doing? " implying that nintendo is above criticism. and trying to shove your own opinion and taste onto other people like that, is inconsiderate and ignorant. its art, to make an assumption that everyone likes what you like, is a really bad starting point for a discussion.

Interesting way to look at it. I don't see it as an implication that nintendo is above criticism so much as using words like 'hot trash' to describe the work as being, quite frankly, douchey. It's disrespectful and really has nothing to do with saying a company or their game cannot or shouldn't be criticized.  it's etiquette. He's free to spit on the company but we are just as free to judge him for his choice of wording. It's a bit over the top but it certainly gets his point across, I suppose, haha.