Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Summer Workshop: Neko-mancer

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
RuiShi polycounter lvl 4
So Im in @almighty_gir 's summer workshop! I wasn't posted on the official line up post but trust me, Im not some strange dork who cant take rejection, promise! So like my peers I will noting my progress down throughout this thread, keeping it more like a diary of my thoughts, errors and fixes!

Please check out my pals on the journey with me!:

So the first session was picking a concept, character brake down, picking what materials for what and how realistic ect. I picked a cute concept from Ovopack, and began my material brake down. Im thinking make the materials fine and small, ass to make it feel like a cartoony illustration come to life.

Replies

• tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Dude that concept kicks so much ass!! I love it. Excited to see what you come up with
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    really cute/cool concept, good luck!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    For anyone wanting to look at big concept art.

• RuiShi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RuiShi polycounter lvl 4
    PyrZern  for posting the full concept, my wee picture does no justice!

So I have a rough basemesh, only using insert-spheres, dynamesh and move tool, (ok, maybe also smooth tool!) Lee advised us to keep it simple cause we are going to go to retopo next before we start our heavy sculpt.

I really struggled to try and get a good looking base, nothing was working for me! I just couldn't nail the simplicity of shapes in the concept. To better help me get a feel of the what the final sculpt could look like I added some rough assets to guide me and keep me focused on the end goal (Hint to me, dont clutter a simple concept cause you feel aimless you dingus).

We all did learn how to plan the size of our sculpts before we even set a toe in side of zbrush, which I will make a tiny little run through on tomorrow or Monday. Little thing like that makes life so much easier and a greenhorn get a better fast.

So im now on to retopo in Maya, and Ill post my next diary entry then!
    Thanks guys for the support, please check out my peers crazy rad stuff too! 

• RuiShi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RuiShi polycounter lvl 4
    TOPOLOGY! I just...gosh I sure do love it.... :'|

Im like a bunch of others when I say that topology isnt my strong suit. I find it really difficult to focus when I have to much information going on, it overloads my brain and I just go so lost. Out of all the aspects of character work I struggle wit this the most cause (at least for me) there isnt a set standard road, just lots of suggestions which causes my head to go full poo brain. Its my blind spot so I am so on-board with anything that makes this stage less painful!

So thank you humble cylinder, your a bro <3

It seems so simple really, and im a little annoyed I didn't think of doing this, hopefully this will save time and confusion for anyone in my shoes that could use a simpler topology workflow!

Using my little 10 edged ( at the bases anyway) cylinder I was able lay down major parts of the base mesh on the high poly, saving my self so much hassle and headache. As I went I did create more edge loops as needed of course but my cylinder worked wonders for me, able to practice loop flow where needed and dedicate some decent time to it. Heres how I place the cylinder on my mesh, around the arms, fingers, legs body and tail(s):

I kept the head separate, just to focus on the body mass and then created head separately later. I did run in to a problem though... My head had double the vertex's at neck to connect to the neck _(:'3 7 L) ...Drang it.

Advice from @almighty_gir was to keep the head separate, treat the character like a Hanna Barbara character and while he may very well be right that thats the best choice, I reduced the poly count of the head by 50% with Mayas reduce function and reworked the topology to recover detail where I could and connected it, otherwise I kinda felt bested by it. Ive kept the other head just in case though!

So I have my base and hes in Zbrush getting some love, back to stuff Im more comfy in!

• sefice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    Your doodle on that cylinder is just perfect xD
  • RuiShi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RuiShi polycounter lvl 4
    sefice said:
    Haha! Thanks Joe! :D Miss you guys and I hope all your work is going well, Ill be back in hangouts after the 8th ;v;

....Where are you guys at now? ;v;
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    RuiShi said:
    sefice said:
    Haha! Thanks Joe! :D Miss you guys and I hope all your work is going well, Ill be back in hangouts after the 8th ;v;

Almost done... :p
  • RuiShi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RuiShi polycounter lvl 4
    RuiShi said:
    sefice said:

Almost done... :p

Drang it Im still baking and doing it poopy at that! Wanted to pic your brain about it :'X
  • RuiShi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RuiShi polycounter lvl 4

Long time no update right...haha.. _( :'3 7 L)
    I got a new home, moved in, got a new job, graduated and started my new job! Its been a busy month and a bit so personal work took a hell of a back burner!

Any how, Neko got retopoed (Maya quad-draw) and maps baked in Xnormal, not verse enough in substance to give them a crack there just yet! 
    Discovered that I way prefer getting as much detail/work as possible in Zbrush through this bake so thats another thing I'll be noting on my next project. Thats manly a hardware thing as my little laptop hates texturing programs but gets on way better in ZB.

Where we are at at this exact moment, Just slowly filling things up before going in for more dets.

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he has 2 tails...
  • RuiShi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RuiShi polycounter lvl 4
    PyrZern said:
    I think he has 2 tails...
    Dont worry! He has them!

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahahua AWESOME !!
  • RuiShi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RuiShi polycounter lvl 4

Happy Halloween everyone <3

Special thanks to Nathaniel, Sanna, Joe, Shana,Tom and of course, Lee!
    ...better late than never right?