Home General Discussion

Pokemon GO!

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
pmiller001 greentooth
So i downloaded pokemon g o last night, I'm having a blast. What y'alls experience with it so far? 

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    best thing nintendo ever did
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Good way to force me into doing sports. Just sad that it's really boring if you don't live in the middle of the city, There's freaking nothing in my suburb except weedle and pidgey. I have a huge field and a forest, other things should spawn :(
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    It seems like it's totally focused on urban dwellers. I think the fiction would totally support plenty of Pokemon out in the wilderness, but they didn't bother with that. It's not like you would need to hand-place everything in rural areas. They could have used procedural generation and still ended up with nice variety for people in rural areas, park land etc.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah I wish it would place stops and Pokemon on long routes you frequently take. My normal 40 minute walk around the suburbs only has one stop and gym, but in the city there's 3 stops every block.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Cant feel my legs. I've been at it for 4 days

Needs pvp. Gyms are cool but buggy 
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Definitely needs some Pokemon spawn and Pokestop balancing, as well as figure out all the server issues, GPS positioning drops, and game breaking crashes.... but I am legit addicted. lol
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    I don't really get the game, all you do is throw pokeballs at pokemon until you get them, and then you repeat that loop forever.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The main reason I like the app is because it's an excuse to go outside, and it can push you to keep going just to make a bit more progress.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Just make sure you know where you are going
    http://fox2now.com/2016/07/10/st-louis-area-robbers-targeting-pokemon-go-players/

In Saint Louis, robbers are setting up traps to lure in players then rob them.

• Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Easy solution, increase the low range and people won't have to venture inside buildings or dark alleys. I don't understand how the developers didn't see that one coming though, when the app launched people would always mention that it could easily be used to mug kids.
  • littleclaude
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    interesting that they use the ingress data for all the portals...
    im wondering if its a nintendo idea or ingress...?
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I heard it's an old game from Nianticlabs that was reskinned with Pokemon Go, basically Geo Cashing mixed with augmented reality = FTW :)
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Came out today in germany 5 minutes in and i am astonished. The automatic placement of pokestops especially targets holocaust memorials.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah i know and they did a cool job. i was just stunned seeing that the golden steps all around my place are pokestops (golden steps are stones put into the cobblestone sidewalks, that contain the informations of jewish citizens that lived there and were killed in the holocaust)
  • tulkas09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tulkas09 polycounter lvl 7
    It looks like there is more people in the streets, and it's not even officially released here, pokemon is changing the world, at least for the duration of the hype... Still if people around your home didn't play Ingress you won't have any pokestop/gyms around you.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its out in the uk now! yay!
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Absolutely love the game. I'm very eager for the various bugs to be ironed out, though. Pokemon GO actually inspired me to purchase my first bike since I was a teenager, due to actually exploring my local parks and memorials and seeing all the beautiful trails and scenery. Love it.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Tekoppar said:
    I don't really get the game, all you do is throw pokeballs at pokemon until you get them, and then you repeat that loop forever.
    Because it's ain't a game, it's a geolocalisation app. Think of it like a health app, not a video game.

Personnaly i just like it because it makes a walk in the city way much fun, plus it brings people together, it's crazy how everyone is talking to each other in the street, it's really a nice dynamic.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Odow said:
    Tekoppar said:
    Because it's ain't a game, it's a geolocalisation app. Think of it like a health app, not a video game.

Personnaly i just like it because it makes a walk in the city way much fun, plus it brings people together, it's crazy how everyone is talking to each other in the street, it's really a nice dynamic.
    Except when you don't play it, then it's a distopian future where everyone has their faces glued to their cell-phones even more than they did before!  It's weird, when I'm the only one at a park to enjoy nature, I was used to being the only person present at a restaurant but this is a whole 'nother level.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I've had a bug infestation in my apartment since I moved in, that I can't get rid of.

What happens when I load up the app? I have 4 bug-type Pokémon plus 2 Rattatas near my house, including a Venonat directly inside it.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Finally got it in Ireland, but the servers are pretty crap at the moment, haven't been able to play at all. Was going to get with friends for a walk, and the weather is nice, but since servers isn't working properly, we dropped it. Would have been a nice walk.

• Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Wife had me driving around for 2 hrs...on saturday AND sunday... -_-

Top tip: I used it as an excuse to go to the music store and buy some expensive music gadgets while she was distracted. ;P
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Supreme leaders who somehow have more power than the government banned it in my country.

@McGreed

I hear some no life hacker shut it down.
  • S-S
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Google already is tracking most of the things Pokemon Go tracks. If you don't mind Google doing it, I don't see why you would mind Pokemon Go doing the same thing. Individuals are insignificant data points, you'll be used with hundreds and thousands of other people to look for trends and that will probably be used or sold.
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD: Yes, that is true - if you use Google.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
  • fdfxd2
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow! imagine owning nintendo shares right now, you would be laughing.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Ok, Yesterday I had an old phone on pay as you go, spending about £10 every 2 months on average. Very low usage.

and today, I have a £30 p/m contract and a brand new phone! Now, I'm not saying I upgraded just for this game....but... It was worth every penny! I actually got some fresh air at lunch today... ;P

Go Team Red!
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6

Pokemon GO AWAY !

So we can all get back to our normal miserable lives  B)

• JacqueChoi
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    The existance of this game makes humanity more stupid.
    This game is stupid, and those who play it are Zombies in my eyes.
    You are all aware that Nintendo is selling those geodata to several Companies?
    You are aware that you feed the machine with all your data?
    Not to mention those who fall from a bridge and drown, walk into traffic and get squished or walk into a bad neighborhood and get mugged.
    I don't even have pity for them.
    Darwinism at its finest.
    ZacD said:
    Google already is tracking most of the things Pokemon Go tracks. If you don't mind Google doing it, I don't see why you would mind Pokemon Go doing the same thing. Individuals are insignificant data points, you'll be used with hundreds and thousands of other people to look for trends and that will probably be used or sold.
    But i do mind.
    Microsoft must have thought the same thing. EVERYBODY is doing it, so it must be OK.
    No its not ok.
    Individuals are  insignificant data points? Tell that to the people who fucked up their life by posting to much private stuff on Facebook.
    Thats the reason why i don't use a smartphone or Google or any other of these dumb social network shit, because i am not a product, i don't want my every activity tracked and categorized so that fucking fascist Corporation can optimize their bullshit propaganda and make more $$$.
    Not to mention the fact that everything known about you does land in obscure databases and the NSA and others will use this data against you if they ever want to.
    It is bad, and we will all suffer because of it.

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Sounds like a paranoid and pessimistic way to look at it. As opposed to a realistic way.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Ryusaki said:
    Dude, you need to chill. You're overly paranoid, if you don't like the game that's fine, you're not contributing anything to this thread however nor are you doing yourself a favor when you act like this on a forum full of professional game-artists where they actually want to know who you are to see if you can get hired or not. 

Either way, I'm currently enjoying the game quite a lot, I do feel though that it's def the worst best pokémon game ever made =P a big percentage of our office (Ubi Massive) is actually playing it as well. The other day a Gyarados spawned outside the office, had everyone crowding the front entrance to get it xD

The game has had a real positive impact on the average swedish day, you see pokémon go players everywhere and it's been super easy to just walk up and start making new friends. I think that's the most enjoyable thing about the whole thing, you realize just how many people enjoy pokémon and you also realize that lots of Swedes are proud of their nerdyness.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Ryusaki said:
    You are all aware that Nintendo is selling those geodata to several Companies?
    You are aware that you feed the machine with all your data?
    Not to mention those who fall from a bridge and drown, walk into traffic and get squished or walk into a bad neighborhood and get mugged.
    I don't even have pity for them.
    Darwinism at its finest.
    ZacD said:
    But i do mind.
    Microsoft must have thought the same thing. EVERYBODY is doing it, so it must be OK.
    No its not ok.
    Individuals are  insignificant data points? Tell that to the people who fucked up their life by posting to much private stuff on Facebook.
    Thats the reason why i don't use a smartphone or Google or any other of these dumb social network shit, because i am not a product, i don't want my every activity tracked and categorized so that fucking fascist Corporation can optimize their bullshit propaganda and make more $$$.
    Not to mention the fact that everything known about you does land in obscure databases and the NSA and others will use this data against you if they ever want to.
    It is bad, and we will all suffer because of it.

Wow... Maybe we should all start wearing tin foil on our heads...

Really though, far too many are trying to focusing on the bad of this game. In my mind the game is an amazing social experiment / event. A friend of mine at work who openly admits he was the laziest person ever and would only walk to get to work, he did 50k walking just at the weekend! My wife was wandering around pokestops with the neighbours kids and they had a great time. I see strangers discussing the game at pokestops. My wife and I have been out of the house a bit more than usual and I can see it continuing.

I've seen the news stories about people crashing into police cars or that they fell off a cliff, etc because they were playing this game. Lol, what a load of shit. They didnt crash or fall off a cliff because of the game. That is the media spin (which is far more toxic than any "data gathering" btw). They came to harm because they are STUPID. You shouldn't be on your phone while driving full stop, the app isn't to blame, stupid people are.

Disclaimer: I'm not a fanboy and I didn't play any of the previous game or watch the cartoon.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Im enjoying it a lot, going on pokewalks with my workmates at lunch is fun - we used to all just do our own thing but this has brought us together during lunch with a common aim haha. Going on pokemon hunts in the park with my girlfriend before sunset is really fun and chatting with my niece and her friends about the game makes me aware that I can actually share a fun harmelss activity with another generation of people and thats pretty cool!
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    I am chilled out now.
    I am in a kind of personal crisis which involves anxiety/hate and lots of depression which made me say harsh things.*
    I shouldn't have posted in that mindset.
    I apologize for crossing the line of good behavior. I  mean it.
    I am aware that i have a selective perception because of the negative media spin.
    I have trouble in my life because of stupid people doing stupid things ( me included) , so i leashed out and projected it on a large scale.
    If you say this game brought much joy and fun to your life, then i believe you guys.

*I feel much better today, something which resembles happiness, yesterday in contrast was a deep dark tunnel.
    Anyways,
    have fun with the game, and a nice day.

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hey Ryusaki sorry to hear that, thats a difficult situation to be in, Im glad your feeling better today! :)
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    The reason why it seems that only bad stuff is coming from the existence of this game is because the media loves to promote bad news. We wouldn't read the news if it was all good after all! :) It's easy to believe the whole world is evil and out to get you when you read the news, but that's simply not true. It just seems that way because they are all trying to make the stories as dramatic and terrible as possible to grab more readers.

I've been really enjoying the game, met loads of new people with similar interest through it. 
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Melazee said:
    The reason why it seems that only bad stuff is coming from the existence of this game is because the media loves to promote bad news. We wouldn't read the news if it was all good after all! :) It's easy to believe the whole world is evil and out to get you when you read the news, but that's simply not true. It just seems that way because they are all trying to make the stories as dramatic and terrible as possible to grab more readers.

I've been really enjoying the game, met loads of new people with similar interest through it. 
    In all honestly the world is far from good, the media doesn't report half of the negative stuff that goes on; but if it helps to see the world as perfect go ahead but it's your reality, it's not what is going on around you.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    lol bunch of tin hat wearing freaks :P back on topic I cought a wartortle on friday, his name is eric.

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    CreativeSheep said:
    In all honestly the world is far from good, the media doesn't report half of the negative stuff that goes on;
    They don't report half of the negative stuff, but they definitely don't report almost any of the positive stuff. The world's better than it's probably ever been. For humans, anyway. Definitely not near perfect, but nothing to be pessimistic about, that's for sure.
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pioldes polycounter lvl 5
    I raise you my Squirtle, Mr. Moist.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Joopson said:
    CreativeSheep said:
    In all honestly the world is far from good, the media doesn't report half of the negative stuff that goes on;
    They don't report half of the negative stuff, but they definitely don't report almost any of the positive stuff. The world's better than it's probably ever been. For humans, anyway. Definitely not near perfect, but nothing to be pessimistic about, that's for sure.

Are you really that sure that it's better then it's ever been; because I could present things to you that would make your head spin besides, I'd say the Renaissance period and the roaring 20's to be a period where things were good; surely not today, that's being too optimistic.

• kanga
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    This Pokemon thingy is genius!  Its a stepping stone to mixing live and generated graphics, putting on glasses and rounding up all  your buddies for  a day in the bush to play Halo. Just like we used to do with sticks and our imaginations when we were 10. Or we could forget about technology and just pop LSD. Nah, lets use the tech, There be dragons in the LSD! :)
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    JoshuaG said:
    Kbrom12 said:
    best thing nintendo ever did
    Nintendo didn't make it.
    I didn't say they did  =)