Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Art Challenge May 2016 (40)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
eXecutex polycounter lvl 9

Hello everyone and welcome to the Monthly Art Challenge for the month of May !!!

Hey everyone ! This took me more than I expected to post. I've had some time off and wasn't able to post this month's challenge. Easter was these past few days, but here it is !
You guys did some amazing work these past few challenges and I am really proud of you !!

Next month be sure to expect Warcraft related concepts, 'cos you know, the movie is coming out !!!
Anyway, have fun !!

As always: You can still work on the previous challenge and keep posting in that thread! I hope you finish your art!

NOTE: This month and the next to come will include environment(exterior and interior) and prop. It's all up to you which you choose to do.

Join our Skype group if you want! Add me on Skype and I will add you to the group.
Me: oli-graphics

You don't have to join the Skype if you don't want to, and you don't need to ask to participate in the challenge, just start working and post your progress in this thread!

Artist: Unknown (Doom Concept)

Artist: https://www.artstation.com/artist/sungchoi

Artist: tabletmonkey.blogspot.com

Artist: https://www.artstation.com/artist/shockwave9001

Feel free to approach either of the concepts however you like but I'd recommend making it as modular as possible to save time and keep things optimized. It's really up to you, and as long as you are learning, it doesn't matter right?

Also if you want to change up either concept a bit, as some people wanted, then feel free. Interpret these concepts to your liking.

There are some things that I would like to point out to for newcomers.
If you only want to do a few props as best you can, then feel free to go ahead and do it. This way you can gradually work on building up to a full scene before diving head-first into the whole ordeal.

Please read all the rules before starting.

When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing, so take the time to break it down. 

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.

Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

Here are some specifics.
  • Try to post one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.
  • You must use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used, but feel free to use any alternatives that you want. (Marmoset Toolbag is allowed as well)
  • You must try your best and finish as much as you can in the time frame provided.
  • Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. We don't need to have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums. 
  • I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well   as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close. 
Well that's about it. If you think that any rules should be changed, or there should be new additions to the rules, please let us know.

All that matters is that you learn, while being able to effectively critique others, as well as accept critiques on your own work. Remember to have fun. Cheers!

Replies

• ross185
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ross185 polycounter lvl 6
    I am liking the concepts for this month :) Looks as if you have included a variety to cater for different skill levels! I would like to say I will take part but I got a queue of other things on me that I need to finish (maybe II'll squeeze something in). Good Luck People :)
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Nice, another challenge! Not a fan of the gun so I will probably join with the first sci fi environment.
    Oh and btw, the unknown artist of the first environment is Alex Palma (search for Alex Palma - Lazarus Interior)
  • jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    Im digging the gun on this challenge, im gonna have to give it a go, first time doing a challenge so lets hope im not biting off more than I can chew!
    My progress so far today, obviously a long way to go but putting some detail down.

Im having some trouble with the grip details, my attempts keep resulting in some pretty bad pinching below is my best result using maya's crease but i feel like there's a better way of do this, has anyone had any success with this kind of detail?

• kadeschui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    @jwills woah that was fast! looking good so far ! that helped get me motivated haha XD

@eXecutex awesome work with the concepts this month. so hard to decide !!

• Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    I'll be taking part in the scifi environment to fill some time :smiley:
    Hoping to see more people get involved in this challenge!
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    I'm prety interested with the sci-fi challenge too !
    :)
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    pretty neat concepts for this month, might do a few of these after I am done with my current project :)
  • NatashaCBR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NatashaCBR null
    I'll be doing a few of the wildstar props for practise :) It's gonna be fun
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Thinking about doing the second concept! Gotta step out of my comfort zone of sci fi panels and such thingies.
    Good luck to everyone who is doing this one!

• CMPearce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMPearce polycounter lvl 7
    Hey all, I'll be trying my hand at the Sci_Fi Concept. Had a quick test run at the floor panel to get a feel for it. 

Quick work @jwills Looking forward to seeing the development.
  • palexpereira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palexpereira polycounter lvl 7
    Great stuff! I want to do some of those props, but I wonder what is that thing on the side of the soda machine? 
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6

just a quick block out.

@palexpereira to me the thing at the side looks like an empty cup dispenser. 
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got my blockout done tonight as well. Haven't really done any sci fi yet so I figured it would be a good time to jump into quixel to take me out of my substance comfort zone. Spent way to long adjusting the camera fov hoping to fix the perspective a bit but the concept is a bit wonky in the way that it depicts a really wide angle while still maintaining that the scale and everything is really close to the camera. Oh well :neutral:

@jwills Looks like a good start especially for how fast you jumped on it! 

• jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    @Jaston3D @CMPearce @kadeschui Thank you for the kind words guys  :)

Been working on this for a day or two now and made some decent progress!

Let me know what you think guys and if you spot anything wrong, that I've missed :)

I am abit confused with some of the details and wanted to ask if anyone knew what they were, cant quite tell myself :(

• Ricky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ricky polycounter lvl 12
    Think I'll make this into a little scene. Gives me a desert vibe for some reason too, so might make that a thing. Not sure how far I will get but I'll do my best to get this one in before the end of the month this time! :D

• kadeschui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    @jwills not sure about the top part but the bottom peice looks like a flip thumb piece for the action. nice progress so far!

@Ricky love your idea! great way to tackle a few props at once; look forward to seeing your progress :)

quick update - would love any feedback on layout as things are feeling a bit off...

• Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only had a hour or two today to work so I got one of the modular floor panels modeled and baked. Got it to look decent for all of the detail being baked normals on a single plane.
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    So I decided to the the Doom environment and figured go big or go home. I am going to use a trim sheet for all of the normals with some UV magic to lay everything out. I will then have another set of UVs for the pieces to then create masks for blending different materials. I will then potentially use vertex painting to add in more color variations into pieces in UE4.

Current progress after the blockout phase with 4 pieces UVed using the trim sheet.

• kadeschui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Jaston3D said:
    Spent way to long adjusting the camera fov hoping to fix the perspective a bit but the concept is a bit wonky in the way that it depicts a really wide angle while still maintaining that the scale and everything is really close to the camera. Oh well :neutral:  
    Glad I'm not the only one! Finally just gave up and said it is what it is...it'll be a hard concept to match 1:1 to the image, if following the obvious modular components for a layout
  • supaclueless
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    supaclueless polycounter lvl 12

Back from the dead and decided to try and do this month's art challenge, finally finished Uni and now hopefully will shift to full gear on working on stuff to prep for portfolio. Going to aim to try and finish this in a reasonable time as well
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got the straight floor piece done and textured. I'm taking some liberties to change the coloring of the scene a bit cause I don't like that green color. So I'm going for a more clean white version. I wasn't all that excited about this concept at first but it's growing on me like crazy and I'm having a ton of fun putting this one together. :smiley:

• Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jaston3D
    Nice progress, excited to see what your white version will look like :)

I had some trouble with the blockout so far since the perspective appears to be wrong..
    I also started a first pass of the floor today. Textures are still very WIP.

• Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shyralon Good stuff man! Always like to see what you come out with for the challenges! Keep goin! 
    Today I got the roofs light panels done. 

Here's a shot with the light panel texture on everything that I haven't done yet to get a feel for how the scene will look light, color, and material wise. 
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jaston3D looks really good already, I really like the clean look you are gpoing for.
    Only thing would be that the black part of the floor feel a bit too glossy for me :)

I went back and reworked my blockout for the third time, having real trouble with the perspective.
    Hopefully it's kinda okay now and I can start modeling all the stuff :smile:
    Also put my blockout into Unreal real quick and tweaked the textures of the floor more.
  • CMPearce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • CMPearce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been struggling with the perspective as well, but also with the ceiling. I can't quite make out the structure from the concept, I may be over complicating it but will readdress that later.  

@Jaston3D I like your use of colour, the white gives it a whole new feel and I also like how you have handled the ceiling. 

I've also looked at alternative viewpoints from other areas suggested in the concept. You can see my progress below.

• Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todays progress. Not much but it's slowly coming together..

• supaclueless
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Slowly Working on this! Trying to not deviate too much from the concept whilst making sure the one shot is correct. I aim to get this scene working with this one camera angle and maybe a few others just to make sure i meet time constraints. ALso tried using handplane and its pretty sweet for its bake times

• Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @supaclueless
    Your camera looks really good, in my opinion it comes the closest to the concept so far. Mind telling what your camera set@supaclueless
    Worked a bit more on a few smaller assets/textures and played around with lighting.
    Next comes modeling all the other stuff :open_mouth:

• Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How is everyone going about the texture and material for the computer screens?
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jaston3D I was planning to do it through shaders. Wanted to create a bunch of alpha masks for the background, the rings and the text and use some panners and rotators to animate the text and rings. Maybe I'll start with it tomorrow to see how that worls :smile:
  • supaclueless
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shyralon I have my camera at around 98 FOV inside Unreal which from what i tested during the blockout stage to fit the concept's general FOV (there was still some skewing but it works for me)

• Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my update! Not sure What color I want the computer interface to be but I'll just leave it at blue for now. I'm writing down all the critiques I get to go back and change at the end and experiment with. Especially now that I'm starting to establish the overall look of the scene critiques would be very much appreciated! So Crit the hell out of it! 
    @supaclueless Looks like you got pretty dang close! good job! that was a real hard perspective.

• Ricky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ricky polycounter lvl 12
    @Jaston3D , that work is really coming along very nicely, I love it! The only comment I can think to make is that something I really like about the original concept was the bright, saturated reds, which your render doesn't seem to highlight as much. Though of course this is just personal opinion and maybe you don't like that anyway. Everything else about it is great!

@jwills , loving the work on the gun model, looking forward to seeing its final results! 

Here is the progress of my model. I've been working on it bit by bit... I'll start texturing very soon hopefully; by next weekend for sure! Parts of it are facing the wrong way to make them easier to model before setting them in their final position, such as the laser gun on the roof, and the legs.

• SpaceSteggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jaston3D That scene is looking amazing! I like the color choices you made. The black on white with those small color pops really bring it together for me. I wish I could work at a place like that hah. 

@Ricky Really nice to see work on the Wildstar props. I too picked from there. Are you doing everything in maya/max?

I chose the "Location Sign" to do first. I've been working on expanding my skill set into normals and zbrush so this is my first real project utilizing and continuing what I've leaned so far. Honest crits are much appreciated! I started the blockout in max and then dynameshed in zbrush to get a closer silhouette and sculpted from there. The bottom wood arrow was a test on making that deep cut in zbrush but I think I'm actually going to work those in max and then add some small details later in zbrush. I think that workflow may work better for me. The straps are what I'm focusing on right now. 

• Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still building the look for the scene as I fill it in. The other images felt to clean for what I wanted to convey. So I have a much heavier mood in these 2 shots.
  • Ricky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ricky polycounter lvl 12
    @SpaceSteggy , Thank you! Love the sculpt of your signpost so far, it has a lot of character! Yes I'm modelling everything in Maya at the moment, and doing final renders in Marmoset Toolbag. Next month depending on what we have to choose from I think I'll get Unreal in the mix instead though.

@Jaston3D , Loving the scene! The deeper atmosphere brings it to life a lot more for me! 
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jaston3D
    Looking really good! How did you do the long lensflares? Was experimenting with that yesterday aswell but didn't get good results..
    Anyway, continued modeling. Slow and steady.

• SpaceSteggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ricky Thank you! I loved that game's art style so I'm trying to respect the lines as much as possible. I'm pumped to see your texturing. 

@Shyralon That's looking really cool. I like the top lighting modules, they have a real beefy feel. I also like how you staggered the bulbs opposite the curve of the module's edge.
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! I'm kinda sad that the dark area in my scene is going to get a lot lighter because of the texturing but I might explore ways to combat that.
    @Shyralon It's all in the post process. To get the long stretched ones like that, you have to mess with the bokeh size/shape in the settings! The long stretched ones are called Anamorphic lens flares, I'm sure theres lots of tutorials.
    Good luck :smile:
  • RockyS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RockyS polycounter lvl 3
    A bit late to the party but decided to give the environment concept a go, always manage to talk myself out of participating! Still doing block out my goal is to practice the Max to UE4 workflow and modular design

@Jaston3D @Shyralon your scene's are already looking good! cant wait to see the end results
  • CMPearce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ROCKYS Beter late than never and so far so good. 
    @Jaston3D @Shyralon Both are coming along really nicely, it's great to see different artists styles coming through. 

Everyone is producing some great stuff!

I've not had much time at the computer this week so have some catching up to do, but here's where I'm currently at. Need to do some tweaking with some textures, but trying to get the whole scene to a reasonable standard first. 

• jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    @Jaston3D damn thats looking good! I am in awe!! :) JJ abrams would be proud of those lens flares!
    @Ricky Thanks dude! getting closer and closer to the end :) your props are looking great! Your idea of making a scene is really clever :)
    @CMPearce @Shyralon Your environments are really coming together! looking really good,give jaston a run for his money ;)

A little bit of my progress for everyone, I havent posted in a little while as I was sorting out CV's and applying for a few jobs ,but after making my low poly and the tedious task of UV unwrapping  :'( and many hours of playing with substance painters baking options, finally got a good bake and im starting to put some materials down :) First time using substance painter properly so really want to see what all those smart materials can really do (y)

I decided to leave a few parts such as the sights as I want to do a "attachment" part after :)

These environments are looking soooooo good! I wouldn't even know where to start with something like that! keep it up

• jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    So texturing progress, substance painter is awesome!! I decided to make it more "battle worn" than the concept because it looks more interesting and meant I could play with painter more, let me know if I've taken the worn look too far... I tend to over do it when it comes to texturing. I also tried Iray in the new painter and played with some settings!!!
    Iray Render:

• supaclueless
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Well made some progress on the right side of the wall. Started taking liberties in some design. Hopefully i can finish this in a reasonable time. Will work on the computers next i think or maybe the lights. Also need to work more on the lighting in the scene but i wanna get the other main sets done first i tihnk.
  • SpaceSteggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jwills That gun is looking really cool. Personally I think the "authentic battle damage" does look a little over done but I'm certainly no gun expert. It's cool to see so many people loving substance. 

Below is my high poly I completed in zbrush. I definitely learned a lot from it. I'm onto the low poly currently but it's moving at a glacial pace.

• CMPearce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SpaceSteggy really like your progress, looking forward to seeing it textured.

My progress so far, need to tweak a few textures and change the left hand computer station to match that of the concept, but on the whole happy with the direction it's heading. Should be finished by the end of the month :) 

• RockyS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RockyS polycounter lvl 3
    Update: static meshes are in, lots of texturing and detailing to do!

@jwills good modelling, I would say from the close up the texture looks slightly like leather/rubber 

• jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    @SpaceSteggy Thank you for your crit, i thought I may have over done it, I've dialed it back abit :)
    @RockyS Thank you dude, i completely agree , I've been staring way too long at it, way too rough and rubbery, I've played around with some materials and added a subtle bump, so hopefully this reads as plastic a bit more!

An update on the materials and I also made a quick little flashlight attachment that I hope to add later on

• supaclueless
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Finally finished the computer wall section. Had some trouble baking certain parts and handplane was not cooperating for some reason so had to do a 2 hour bake on a 4k map in 3ds. Going to do the lights next i think. I can already see this bleeding into June.