Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Abandoned Georgian Room Scene

shadacer
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
shadacer polycounter lvl 6
Hey all,

Latest scene:

I'm working on a new project, a small one, with the intention to polish it. It's based on this reference image:

tfyuvJyjpg

And here's what I have in UE4 so far. Please excuse the strange artifacting and couch, it's just a placeholder/test-_-

The floor material:

And the wall set, which I redid this week. May have to reduce the noise on this:

I'll keep you posted, but any and all feedback is appreciated

Replies

• Armangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armangelo polycounter lvl 6
    On your wall panel, I like the detail, but it's too uniform, in my opinion. Maybe you can use decals for patches of peeling paint, or vertex painting to mask flaking areas. Also, I think the floor is more matte in the ref.
    It's looking good, though. Lighting is shaping up nice!
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    The concept doesn't seem to have any direct light, but then I'm not sure if UE4 could reproduce enough resolution in its indirect lighting to re-create the concept too well. Nice work so far though!

Also I'd disagree on the "too uniform". Except for the ceiling the concept seems pretty clean. Not every scene needs a ton of unique dirt and decay and grime by default.
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback guys, I'll take Armangelo's advice and make a blend shader for the wall - looking at the two images side by side, I can see that I need to adjust the paint hue too. The floor's detailing I'll also dial down. Thanks :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, an update after a while of inactivity.
    So I've reworked the wall panels and made the doors too, dialing back the detailing which was too noisy on my last post. I also stripped the lighting away, as my scene was getting too bright and i wanted to simplify it a bit first with a simple domdirectional.
    I also put in something temporary for the ceiling - I tried to make some peeling paint decal meshes today, but they lit oddly so my next move is to use alpha on the ceiling mesh and have it all as one object :)

Here's the panels I made:

Go nuts with critique, the enviro's far from perfect, and I'm still trying to nail down a good workflow for peeling paint - at the moment it's a combo of Zbrush for big details and Photoshop brushes for small ones.
  • pinkbubblegum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pinkbubblegum polycounter lvl 4
    I don't really have critique to contribute, I just wanted to pop in here to say that I'm really fond of how you textured that floor + the new wall panel. The walls look much better now that it's less specly!
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, all the walls and doors and etc. look far too dirty and shabby compared to photo. Here's another look at a very similar, and quite real, abandoned mansion in the same style

And right now it seems far too dark as compare to the photograph, or even to itself. Like the light coming in through the window isn't providing enough light somehow.
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, just a quick weekend update:

So I cleaned out the textures, added a skylight (may be a bit too strong) and made the roof a distorted plane to try and add some depth to the cracked paint. The floor's an experiment in progress, and seems to light up very enthusiastically with the RCAs. Next update, I hope to fix it and start work on the mirror wall/add more blockouts for the chair in back.

Edit - did a rebake and balance, looks a lot nicer now :)
  • seandxyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seandxyz polycounter lvl 5
    Love it, great work, the main things that stand out to me is how the chandelier doesn't quite blend into the roof so well, also the roof paint looks slightly dodgy, apart from these things, coming along very nicely! keep it up! 

portfolio: http://seandxyz.com/

• davidk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    davidk polycounter lvl 4
    Looking really nice. Getting scale right is what really promotes realism. Did you model this scene to specific measurements? I feel that either your room is too large for the furniture or the furniture is too small. Hard to tell from just stills. But looking at your original reference image there is a lot less empty floor space. Try increasing the scale of the table and chairs to see how it affects overall composition. It could just be your camera position and FOV also.
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howdy, folks, 

Thanks for the critique, guys. I will scale up the furnishings a bit more, most definitely, thanks for the spot DAVIDK!
    The roof paint I will go back to - I was brainstorming a number of ways to get a cracked paint effect, including vertex blending, decals etc, but I think alpha planes with dripping paintwork a la Fallout 3/4 will work for the effect in the ref.

Since I'm being naughty and not showing any Unreal stuff this time, I'll show a work-in-progress-but-nearly-done highpoly of the mirror. This took some time to assemble, as I'm making a kitbash of curly parts in max for the rococo-style detailing on the side.

• shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've returned with Unreal stuff!

First of all, I finished the mirror asset - here's a shot in Marmoset - i included it along with the other parts to show how it fits together and to check for any conflicting colours/shapes:

Following this, I put the asset in Unreal and also had another stab at the peeling paint on the roof:

In this shot, I also took DavidK's advice and made the tables and chairs larger, which does fill up the space nicely. I also need to hurry up and blockout the other chairs in back, though I'm considering making one chair for the sake of time and consistency. That time can be spent on stuff like smaller props ;)

Critique away!
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking pretty good!
  • dystopianghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dystopianghost polycounter lvl 10
    I think to coming together for sure, my two cents would be be careful with how your floor reads, mainly when it isn't in the light. The surface doesn't read like wood to me in the darker areas. I would also tweak your ceiling, the tearing is starting to look nice but, I would make sure you hit the micro details along with your macro details. Overall though its coming together nicely. 
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique guys, I was thinking of redoing the wood to match the picture more as it isn't the same and looks a bit too contrasty with the larger value range it has. The ceiling can also be tweaked, though I may have to use decals for it as there will be visible tiling issues with the way I've approached it if I add a lot of detail :)

• shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, got another update:

I made some adjustments, including modifying the floor and adding the window. The window changed a lot from the blockout to be a gilt painted Georgian design.

The flooring was changed as, like fellow Polycounters have mentioned, it didn't match the reference and didn't have the correct values, so I resculpted the floor and made it a bit plainer to avoid drawing attention away from other elements in the scene. Here's a comparison shot:

Next time, I hope to get started on the fireplace. I'm also going to do another texture pass on the wall panels and tweak the values of the greens to match the concept better. Critique away :)
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    The individual screenshots of the wall and textures look nice, but the scene as a whole is feeling too green in my opinion. I'd consider changing the color of the ceiling to something less saturated(and possibly the lighter panels in the wall), maybe more like a light gray or off white. The light color doesn't seem to be helping much either. What time of day are you going for? You could stick to the Kelvin temperatures to stay in the range of natural light from a reddish-orange to white to blue. 

Keep it up though! I really like the wall panel, just wanna see more colors :D
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice, Brian:) It is a little too green right now - the lighter panels on the walls are white with some staining, but the ceiling does have a tint to it. The time of day in the reference image is what i was going for - morning/midday values.
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, I'm back after a slow few months. Sorry!
    So, I've been focusing on one of the hero pieces for the environment, the fireplace.  Here's a Marmoset render:

As for the scene, I reduced the impact of the greens by desaturating the ceiling textures and the lighting. It works a lot better :)

Next, I'm going to either start on the table in the middle or fix up those wall panels. I'm also aware that the composition isn not great, so may reshuffle the contents of my image and the lighting to assist that.
    Comments and critique appreciated as always :)
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    This is looking really good! I love your textures, they look REALLY nice ;) What software are you using?
    Also, I love the mirror sculpt! I'm plannig on doing an asset similar to that, with all the ornament stuff. Can you explain a little bit how did you do it please? It is great, keep it up :D!
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey N4UJ,
    Thanks for the compliments, though they need plenty of tweaking at the moment :p

For my workflow and the mirror stuff, I'm mostly working in Max using kitbash parts like curly fronds etcetera to whip up a collection of different shapes quickly. Here's an example with the leaves; use Path Deform modifiers in Max to get the shapes you want.

I'd start out by making a good few flat leaf parts, then when you have a good base, you can bend and instance them to make all sorts of compositions. I know other artists tend to use ZBrush, but I find it's easier to control these parts in Max's interface. I did use Zbrush too, but purely to sculpt damage.

Hope that helps :)
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, impressive scene! fireplace coming along nicely.

How do you go about making the plaster, like the ceiling? Is it one big texture or how did you do the damages?
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    shadacer said:

Lovely progress and assets mate!  Got a question about the ceiling, could you please explain how you achieved the effect of the torn pieces?  Is it actual geo or some magic in the material setup?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Coming along nicely.

If you attach your light fitting to a ceiling rose it might look a little more authentic.
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work Matt!
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    Love this man can't wait to see final
  • Vincent3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent3d polycounter lvl 2
    Tzur_H said:
    shadacer said:

Lovely progress and assets mate!  Got a question about the ceiling, could you please explain how you achieved the effect of the torn pieces?  Is it actual geo or some magic in the material setup?
    Yup I'd like to know too,looks great!
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I've optimised the thread's images as they were too big, sorry about that :pensive:

Anyway, I've done the table now, was pretty simple in terms of geometry:

And here's the scene as it stands - I should really be doing more but DS3 just came out.

Also, the paint on the roof was done by placing two planes on top of one another - I then tesselated the top one and made a bunch of broken paint decal meshes that use alpha that could snap into the tesselated grid. Here's my Max scene below, to make it clearer;

Hope that helps, critique appreciated as always :)

• shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, another update. Sorry for inactivity, but I'm going to hustle and finish this up, just struggle to find time!

Firstly, here's the room, with added tables, decals and dust. the idea is to make it look more aged and abandoned, yet untouched.
    An here's the tables with the matching chair set;

The next steps are the chairs in back and the picture frames, then on to the smaller assets and the other miscellaneous stuff.

Critique away :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,
    Made a chandelier and a ceiling rose, as was suggested earlier in this thread, beds it in quite nicely I think.

I've also rebalanced some of the textures to make them sit better in the environment, namely the roof trim.
    Here's the chandelier in Marmoset - I used a custom shader in engine to emulate the crystals, but it's WIP and I may go back to it.

Tell me your thoughts/feedback :)
  • Tetranome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    Nice chandelier! The SS on the candles looks nice. What's the overall polycount?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    very nice work so far
  • Vincent3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really love that scene,great job!
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    This looks fantastic, awesome work! :D
  • SimãoSilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimãoSilva polycounter lvl 8
    Wow this looks amazing !! really good work ^_^

• shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the kind words!

I've managed to finish the chair asset, making that one of the last big items in the scene. It was a bit of a pain to get the projection right on this, wish is why it took this long. Here's a Marmo render:

And here's the current scene with added chair:

The next order of business is small props and destruction, as well as lighting. Any feedback on colour, composition etc is welcome.

In answer to Tetranome, the chandeiler is pretty dense at about 43k-  it's not optimised at all really - in a game I would probably do this sort of thing using alpha.

• Vincent3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chair looks good! Maybe just a small thing,I feel like it looks ''hard'',it would maybe need something like small cracks in the leather so we can really feel it's been used a lot.
    Except that,your scene is really growing well good job,would love the see the lighting setup you have in it :)
  • samwoodart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samwoodart polycounter lvl 7
    man this is so awesome, nice work.
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    really nice work so far :+1:
  • Enviromist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enviromist polycounter lvl 8
    amazing work, man!
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey folks!
    I'm here with another update - I added the cracks to the chair and made the portrait asset:

And here's the latest scene.

I also updated the scene's composition a bit as I start to wrap it up. I didn't like the way the foreground chair caught the light, so I removed it - might throw it to the ground later to add a bit more character to this static room. The chiars and tables have also had model tweaks in order to adhere more to the original image.

Right now this scene's also without a focal point too - something I need to think about as I wrap this up. Perhaps something on the table?

Comments/critique appreciated!
  • Earthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthyn polycounter lvl 2
    Loving this scene!

My only issue with it is the doors are mirrored in texture, it caught my eye quickly. Other than that the scene is honestly breathtaking!
  • ross185
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ross185 polycounter lvl 6
    Well I am going to be talking to you tomorrow Matt! I have questions about the peeling pieces. I need to apply a similar thing to my scene. ;)  your scene is really coming along nicely though dude! 
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    This is looking pretty cool, nice work!
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Just a brief update - I've made a small candlebra and blocked in some curtains, as well as played with the lighting a little to try and make the scene a bit brighter. First, here's the scene:

Tried to bring out me of a bounce from the sunlight, but feel I might be slipping into monochromatic hues/washed out colour again. I feel it needs to be a bit darker  with more variance on the ceiling maybe. I'll keep experimenting with it.

Curtains will be next on the agenda before I delve into floor breakup and other fun stuff like light shafts etcetera.

Deliver me a critiqueal hit!
  • Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Looking good man! Love the ceiling and the chipped paint texture on the walls! I do agree with @Earthyn regarding the mirrored doors. It's something that's too obvious, and as a viewer I noticed it right away even before I saw the comment about it.
  • Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nicorepe polycounter lvl 4
    Loooking sooo good man!
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Really love the progress so far... To me this is already a good piece and all I really have here is just some polishing advice to bring this piece a bit more complexity/comfort in the mood.

I'd suggest adding some spider webs to this scene... tie that knocked over chair to the floor & table with cobwebs, etc... same with whatever surfaces you think could use it too... since this is abandoned I'd say it's more than necessary to introduce the heavy use of cobwebs in this scene...

Overall for me it just feels a little too clean still.. but it's really down to personal preference, my idea of an abandoned location would be far more grungy/messy in terms of weathering, leaking, etc...

Either way, lovely execution so far, keep at it! :)
  • MagicFlyingBus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicFlyingBus polycounter lvl 5
    That looks fantastic!

A few things i noticed, the candles in the chandelier in your reference do not sit straight up, most of them are pointed at odd angles. If you adjust their orientation this would help push the overall unkempt feel of the scene.

The Chandelier itself is much more thin and long, taking up much less space in the reference scene and the texture currently  looks a bit to clean for the rest of the over all scene, making it feel out of place.

Last thing, the hole in the roof threw me off a bit because of how thick yours is compared to the actual reference.  Your reference looks more like sheet rock, while in your scene it looks more like a large slab of concrete.

I have a few questions on your process. How did you achieve the peeling paint effect on the wall?

I would also love to see your process on creating all the high detail on a few of your models. 

For the peeling effect on the roof, do the decals need to be modeled out like that?