Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raztt polycounter lvl 10
    looking awesome.
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    The scene is looking better and better! The latest shot almost looks like a photograph, but I agree that I could be just a little more saturated. Don't sweat it at this point, I'd say get all the details in before you finalise in post. Interested to see how you break up the floor, but to me at this point it's an area of visual rest, so I wouldn't do too much (though I'm sure you won't go overboard)  :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadacer polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for all the critique guys, It's well appreciated!
    I'm going to be getting to work addressing the scene's issues in the next few days, so I'll keep you posted.  Your support will help me finally finish this thing :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm back with a new update!

So this weekend I got to work on the feedback - I finished the curtains and made some adjustments to the scene's colours and lighting. I also added some cobweb meshes to bed in some of the furnishings to the floor:

Next I will be working on some more floor/roof breakup and texturing the new tea set props on the table - I wanted to get some kind of story in the scene that the photograph kind of lacks.

For those asking, the peeling paint effect on the walls in particular was a bit of trial and error - I initially tried sculpting them by using a secondary shell of geometry for paint, but this proved really annoying to work with, so I switched to classic Photoshop brushes I made from peeling paint images. If anyone has any suggestion on how to improve this workflow, let me know :)

For the ceiling, I trued a similar method to acheive the peeled paint look, but the lighting made it look really flat regardless. Standalone decal meshes wouldn't work either due to lighting differences in models when baked.

As I said before, thanks for all the feedback! I can definitely feel it getting steadily closer to a state I'm happy with now.

• nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    Very strong work here. Great job. The upcoming refinements you mentioned will add a lot. I especially like the cobwebs they sit well within the scene in terms of lighting. If anything I would expect more spider webs up high than down low given spiders preference for higher areas.
  • MagicFlyingBus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicFlyingBus polycounter lvl 5
    Wow those Cobwebs look great! Do you have any shots of the meshes / textures alone?
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just a brief update:

In this update, I've added more damage and peeling to the ceiling, and tried a bit of floor rubble. I've also decided to open up the left door and have a bit of room behind it to suggest a larger place.

I also made the tea set, here's the toolbag shot. Textured at 2k but I mipped them to 1k for the engine:

MagicFlyingBus, I've put together a little info on how I made the webs:

Upon adding more ceiling detail (which took a while because my Max scene freaked out and lost mat ids :/) I realised that the floor could use another pass of broken plaster. The central table also looks monotone, so my thought is to get some dead plants/petals from the vase on there of a colour such as red to break up the colours.

Feedback welcome as I hopefully one day will call this finished :|

• Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Looks amazing man! The only thing that really bothers me about this piece is the wear on the middle of the plates in the door. It's too easy to spot when it's the same door being repeated. Other than that it looks amazing, love the atmosphere!
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    great work on the installation of the cobwebs dude! definitely brings in that old abandoned feel that I was saying was missing before... this is piecing together very well... I think the only thing I can see that's disturbing me atm is the rubble under the table. The rubble isn't placed badly or anything, in fact I understand what it's trying to represent, at least I think it's pieces that fell from the ceiling or some kind of chipped paint rubble? if that's the case I feel the rubble is too blobby? it looks like random pebbles that are just there and could use some revisiting... just make the sides sharper and have it look less inflated is all there is really.

Great job so far though :)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some really solid work here.  I love your ceiling in particular.  Thank you for showing how you did it.  

I wish you got a little bit more contact shadow from the chairs in the middle of the floor...they look like they are flowing a bit.  Maybe a little less bounce light or something?  

Also, you have this run down ceiling, including a chunk missing, but where is that?  Would be great to see some of that stuff laying on the floor, on the table, etc.  Also I think more dust buildup along the bottom of the walls would be appropriate.  maybe do some decals to get dust building on the corner of the floor and crawling up the wall to further seat the walls.  Just talking broad, soft discoloration, similar do what you have on the floor.

Your individual props are top notch, and overall this room is very well done.  Good job!
  • MagicFlyingBus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @shadacer Dope dude thanks for the break downs! 

It's all coming along really well. Really inspiring.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    this looks great man! I really like how you noticed the original floor texture was too detailed/distracting and quickly scaled it back. Sometimes less is more and developing that critical eye is what makes a really strong artist. 

The details in the scene gel really well together, I could easily see this being an environment in uncharted or the last of us. AAA quality work for sure! this is a great example of a self contained, smaller project that is the perfect size to work on solo and actually finish!

the one thing i think could be pushed a little further is the lighting, having a bit more of a central hotspot on the table with some very very slight shafts of light/dust/haze coming through the window could add a bit more point of focus and atmosphere. here is a quick paintover showing the original vs suggestions. its pretty subtle but just some ideas. 
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, back with another update.

So I read PixelMasher's post and took your advice, adding a bit more amber light into the scene to make it feel warmer and lit more like an evening. I also added in some simple light shafts:

I also did some work on the floor rubble, adding in some smaller chunks and making a blend material with a custom mask:

Here's the Marmo render. I made some unique meshes as well using smaller scattered pieces to break up some of the floor. It's a little destaurated because I wanted it to match the stuff on the floor and not stand out.
    Here it is blended:

Next I'm going to sort out the vase on the table with some flowers, wilted and faded. That may well be one of the last touches to the scene as it's nearing the time for me to leave it.

Thanks for all your feedback - I'm flattered you compared it to ND work, though I would guess their stuff is considerably more optimised than this:P

Let me know if there's any other improvement points, and I'll get right on them. Thanks again guys :)
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    Very late to party on this one, absolutely outstanding work. Adore the ceiling work. 
  • Poinball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    Amazing stuff here ! Plz make a video of the scene :)
  • MagicFlyingBus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, question you're using the debris texture to paint onto the floor while spreading a few of the assets around to break up the material correct?
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Poinball
    I'll look into it. Not sure how matinee works in UE4 yet though.

@MagicFlyingBus
    Yep, that's the best way I find, blend stops hard edges from being visible and the geo breaks up the flatness of the ground.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, really nice!
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome work man!! It would be great to see a full breakdown once you have finished.
  • CupMcCakers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CupMcCakers polycounter lvl 4
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, last update!

So I managed to get this roughly wrapped up now - added a vase and the roses to add some interest and organic matter to the scene. I also further pushed the lighting to give it a more interesting evening sunset glow. Here's some final shots:

That's all for now, if there's any more adjustments to the scene feel free to recommend them, otherwise calling this finito. Thanks for all your advice, guys, you all helped me push it that much further.

I'll see if I can get a flythrough done at some point, as for breakdown, it's all pretty much a case of the techniques I already outlined, and lots of decals and colour tweaks, though if you want to know anything specific feel free to let me know. Thanks for the support, on to the next one :)
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    First of all you did an awesome job with this, the assets are looking super high quality :open_mouth:
    What's this rendered in? Unreal?
    Only small thing would be that I prefer the lighting in the previos post as it gives more contrast and does not hide as many as the details as the current one, but this might just be personal preference :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shyralon
    Thanks man, it's appreciated. I rendered this in UE4 :) As for the lighting, I was kind of wary about having the scene too green with the neutral lighting, so I pushed amber a bit more like one of these posts suggested. The one problm I have with my lighting at this time is that there are a lot of dark spots, but I guess that's the price of desiring more tonal range for the final piece :p
  • MagicFlyingBus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you get the specs in the volumetric light?
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    this is really nice! I actually like the latest lighting changes, minus the really dark corners.

you could try lighten up darkest areas by adding a point light with no cast shadows and quadratic falloff set to off, light exponent of 2 to get a very linear falloff, and very low intensity value.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Great work man, I have to agree that I prefer the previous lighting more, mainly because it doesn't hide as much detail that you've put in and the neutral lighting gives it more of an abandoned lonely feel to it... as if a place was abandoned it's never really a happy reason for it to be... so I just almost always feel like the lighting should be something cooler and less warm.

You could meet somewhere in between but I personally feel this pin point was the best on lighting for this.

You could also play around with lighting it with warm colours from the windows and then it begins to get quite cold and bluish towards the inner room. Which you already kind of have going here either way.

Either way, great work and you deserve some down time now haha (Y) keep it up.
  • ChristianGrey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChristianGrey polycounter lvl 3

This lighting is the best in my opinion. Gives a true feeling of abandoned mansion in a sunny day, it's gloomy, yet bright, very unique atmosphere, whereas 2 latter color schemes looks very pushed and unnatural
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    turned out really great :+1::+1:
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I tried some lighting tweaks today:

Thought I'd try striking a happy medium between the sunset hues of my last post and people's suggestions, as I kind of liked the extra splash of warm colour but I also understood the need for more natural and less exaggerated lighting to let other elements of the scene have focus.

What do you think, better or worse?

• Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    I think it is better than your latest one because it does not hide as much of the scene.
    At this point I think the scene will look great either way, it just depends on the mood you are going for.
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 14
    Beautiful final result, it's very obvious how much work you've put in. 
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think the lighting is generally great, BUT having the windows casting light/shadows on the table with the cobwebs adds a lot of visual noise, to the point where it's hard to read what's on the table. I think part of the problem is the vase for the plant is almost the same color and intensity as the lit table and cobwebs. 

• Mirge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirge polycounter lvl 7
    Nice work man love the whole setup, what software did you use to make the curtain? how was it textured? :O