Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter wood workflows

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tynew polycounter lvl 9
Hello,

Is there some way to project wood textures onto models so wood textures can be seamless? With wood I only know about using a tilable wood fill layer and stencils. I don't know if stencils are the right way to do this. What I'm looking for is something like what Pedro did:

wood.gif

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Substance Painter has a Triplanar projection option for Fill layers that automate the projection process described in your gif.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you for the reply Jerc. How exactly do I use this tool since it is automated? I looked in the online documentation but could not find anything related.

I have a cannon and what I would like to do is to project the horizontal wood grains along the top as in the gif.

xr291CC.png
    LmiAiOo.png

I realise I can use masks and the rotation to get the grain along that way, but upon trying it does not seem to produce the best results with transitions over corners. On this object it obviously isn't a big deal, but on FPV weapons with wood I can see this being a problem.

9qAUERn.png
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    For the moment you can't configure each axis of the Tri-planar projection individually.
    I suggest as a workaround to duplicate your layer mask only the top of the canon to offset the projection.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you for the help Froyok, you Allegorithmic guys are so helpful compared to some game art product companies :)
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikonane polycounter lvl 7
    Froyok said:
    For the moment you can't configure each axis of the Tri-planar projection individually.
    I suggest as a workaround to duplicate your layer mask only the top of the canon to offset the projection.
    Is it possible now one year later? I have the same problem as TYNEW. 
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Unfortunately no, we didn't improved that yet.
  • Bek
  • CGKing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CGKing polycounter lvl 3
    Do you still looking for? I made the Ultimate Projector can fix your issues. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3eQkY
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @CGKing
    Using your projector, what would be your recommended inputs for front-facing projection (= along Z), with a 1:1 aspect ratio ?

I have been fiddling with the controls and I am getting something close to what I want using a Z=270  custom angle with rotationX = 1, rotationY = 0.5 and rotationZ = 0.5 but I am having trouble finely controlling the offset for accurate positioning. The result is also very noisy for some reason. I am probably just missing something !

Thanks !
  • CGKing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CGKing polycounter lvl 3
    can you post the results. low bitrate on position map could cause some noise problems. its also a good idea to bake position map with bsphere instead bbox if you wanna project from single angle you can use projection panel dimensions settings.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will get back to you asap on this - thanks for the support !
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again @CGKing -

Just wanted to chime back in to mention that the issue I previously had (noisy projection) is not happening anymore, and I am now getting perfectly accurate projections with your filter. Maybe the issue was caused by the fact that the model I was using for my earlier test had its origin far away from the geometry (character head model with origin at 000) ? My second test was a more usual scenario and it worked just fine. I haven't tried to compare bsphere to bbox as the default work as expected.

I was actually able to reproject an orthographic side view template back onto a model with dead-on matching accuracy, which pleasantly surprised me. Does that mean that the effect is automatically fitted to the bounding box of the model ? If yes ... well, that's great, because that makes it all very straightforward and easy to control in Photoshop.

For anyone looking for a way to accurately do planar projections in SP (@tynew), this is the way to go. It's great for wood detail but also for vinyl markings, weathering, manually painted scuff marks, and so on - and everything is non-destructive since the data is coming from an external texture asset which can be refreshed and updated at will as opposed to being hard-painted.

Thank you for this !
  • CGKing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CGKing polycounter lvl 3
    hey pior i'm glad it worked for you. if you can send some of the artwork you made using my projector i will be happy to add to the projector's artstation page with a shout out to you.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will do as soon I have something to show ! At the moment I was just trying to make sure that it worked for my needs :) I can actually see a few other ways to leverage this tool, more or less working Mari-style (= projecting patches onto specific areas to detail) but with the added benefit of everything being non-destructive. Exciting stuff.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @pior thanks for posting back here with results. I'm definitely going to test this as well. From your description it reminds me of a Neil Blevins workflow I used to use some years back, of rendering an ortho view in Max to paint in PS and projecting back with uvw box mapping, allowing specific texturing without having to unwrap.