Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Character WIP - Critique wanted!

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Wolves polycounter lvl 2
Edit: This character looks like this currently. Still working on her though and still want feedback! ♥

----
I would love some help with this, I'm having a hard time making it look like how I want it. She's supposed to be in her 20s, healthy and a bride.

eeLIv79png

v0oDANYpng

Any help is loved! ♥

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What's your reference? 20 year olds can look like anyone. It will be hard to udnerstand visually what you're aiming for as a target without some reference images that you're looking at while doing this.

Is this for a school assignment as well?
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    RE4Mila.jpg
    Resident-Evil-milla-jovovich-23562338-900-506.jpg

Something similar to her, I've used multiple refs though.

And yes it is.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    You've definitely got do get the basic facial forms down first. Look at the shape of the human skull and compare it to your sculpt. Also look at the planes of the face.

face-planes1.jpg

You're definitely trying to detail her way too much so early on. I get that hair is great for visualizing the final piece, but that doesn't work if you don't have a solid foundation for the facial structure.

I really do recommend going back and brushing up on your anatomy. You get a solid foundation for that, likenesses become a lot easier.

For likenesses, which are arguably the hardest things to do, there are a few less obvious areas you've gotta keep an eye out for: the forehead outline, the nasalabial fold, how prominent the cheekbone is, and the jawline (if you can get refs of underneath, even better). With actresses like Milla Jovovich, you're going to have a lot of references to help you sculpt the likeness.

If you're going to use side shots like this, be sure to line them properly and readjust them. Remember that focal lengths matter when you're using reference to directly influnce your sculptures proportions. Too many people (myself included) will pile references and then realise they've all been shot with different lenses under different lighting conditions.

I created a very, very quick line-up for you to show some of Milla's proportions. It's not perfect, and I think my angle is a bit off, but you get the idea.

62a5a9a94d.jpg
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    F8OLw6x.png
    kisH3qV.png

Slow progress.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves, you need to really commit to the severity of Stirls's critiques about the planes.

Aka, you need to literally make planes on the face before you even decide to smooth things out to make it more realistic. Get the trimDynamic brush out and start making those planes. It's going to look weird if you do it right, but it's going to make your life a lot easier in the long run.
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    BpkZjtF.jpg

The planes are good reference points but I can't see the face like that. I'm not trying to recreate Milla either, I just kept working to all the refs of her.

Slow but steady progress.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean you can't see the face like that? Are you unable to physically see this and recreate this:

22164_1238858294_large.jpg

Not to make assumptions, but I'm hoping you're not being lazy and just not willing to take the time to make the planes. You will be worlds ahead and make the beginning of most of your human characters easier if you focus on creating a solid foundation to work from. Right now your sculpt still reads as lumpy, and I think that's because you moved too fast, subdividing when you didn't have bigger forms down first. You're lettin this mental image, which doesn't quite defined beyond abstract concepts of beauty or what a woman looks like, take precedent over underlying foundations and bigger elements.

Get back to the basics, recreate the planes as we've drawn and represeted on the thread. If you can't see it, now's the time to literally look at and recreate what other's have seen already so you can see what they see. This is a discipline, not an instinct.

There might be a time when you can skip the foundational pre-work, but:

NkSCEZA.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Not being able to see the planes is okay. It's something that you've gotta tune yourself to see. Brian is definitely right in saying you can't skip the foundations.

Here's something else that helps me out from time-to-time.

d170dbee02.jpg

Fat pads will essentially give you pointers on where to add build-up. This, along with understanding the muscular structure and anatomy of the human face will be incredibly helpful to you as an artist.

It's hard work, taking all of this in. I recommend just taking a bit of time to figure it all out. You can continue to work with what you have if you'd like, but in the future it'll pay to know this stuff. You'll work faster and with greater understanding.
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you, the fat pads were incredibly helpful. I understand the splitting the face into the quads and its too easy to copy but I thought it was posted as reference to how to break down Milla's face and I had a go but just couldn't do it myself.

6ZcNeEc.png
    7GaoDmL.png

I feel like it would be going backwards to do the planes now so I carried on working into it.

I feel it looks a bit weird still but I can't pinpoint why.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's because it's lumpy. You're going to high res without justifying the resolution without having a lower resolution mesh that covers all the bigger elements and forms. This is ignoring the lumpiness of the dress right now. I know you can see it LOOKS like the charatcer you want, but you can get so much better execution to that goal if you didn't dynamesh without a goal to get clean meshes.

Look at Marie-Pepin's Ellie character bust Look at the lack of abberant bumps and lumps she has. It reads as a female face, but it looks clean, even with the natural blemishes and pores.

The-Last-of-Us-Characters-Sculpt-ellie-02.jpg?resize=1020%2C484

Does it feel weird to go back again when you're this far ahead? Yes. Is it necessary sometimes. Absolutely. It's better to cut your losses in this case than continue down a bad path that will just end up with more pain. Game development is this a lot of time: cut features that are not working so you have a tighter game instead of delivering badly made features.

I'm still recommending going back and defining your planes. The fatpads still apply to a planar head because you're defining the surface of the head, which includes the fat. Doing that, you'll most likely avoid what happened with your last project you posted:

WK88NCr.png

Dd you ever get the chance to finish the anthropomorphic fox and get it rendered in a game engine?

You're not any less skilled for recognizing you need to fix things by going backwards. In a lot of ways, it's easier for artists since we're not determining the monetary system like the US Federal Bank. It requires skilled people to know when to go back to fix the foundation so the future ends up looking better.

Also, you don't need to dynamesh your clothes to the body. Keep it clean, create it as a separate subtool.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Don't be afraid to use Flatten brush and go all out on her face. Get them planes of the face. Get the angles. Duplicate it beforehand if you're not sure. But do it.
    planes_of_the_head_-_male_3d_model_obj_1841fa60-a307-4dbf-b6ec-8fd99a12b194.jpg
  • jinn15
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would recommend watch these videos by Ryan Kingslien it was incredibly helpful when i first started and still is
    i agree that the face is still a bit lumpy so i would duplicate the mesh, go to zremesher for a real quick and dirty low poly and steadily go up in sub-divisions, that'll smooth out the face a great deal
    for the eyes, the shape is a bit off, the outside corner of the eyes are too high, and u need to space the eyes apart more, generally u should be able to fit an eye in between the eyes
    i would also recommend checking this out too for female faces, Hazardous Arts, he has a very specific style for female faces but he has a few good tips and tricks to think about when making a female face
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Hey I'm fairly new so i don't have any tips really, but something that's helped me is to just really look at the pics/refs, literally study and observe everything you can see, i never did the planes thing but that's just me i guess. Look at how the webbing between the fingers are formed, the tendons etc , look at your own body for refs(the basic forms etc alter it accordingly though female/male etc). Observe and study other artists as well, search all over the web for things when you have free time. And when sculpting, I'll start with the dynamesh sphere but really low, use the move+topological move brush to push and pull until you're satisfied, add a little more resolution when needed, then go on over to zremesher, or you can retopo in maya/max/topogun/3dcoat etc whichever you prefer .Once dynamesh is gone , Start sculpting/movebrush ,getting it the way you want, but try to stay as low as possible, try to get it looking how it's supposed to as low as you can, then when you can't get anymore detail/forms in, add more resolution. Also to avoid the lumpy/weird look when using the smooth brush, it really helps me to first sculpt w/e in, then drop down 1-2 levels and smooth it there, go up and smooth, go up and smooth some more etc.
    There's no wrong or right way, just try different methods and see what works for you.

It's going to look bad at first, looking good and making it look how you want it will come with practice , even then it will still look bad to you at times or you will always find things wrong/off, that's a part of being an artist. But just work as much as you can on it if you're serious about it like that. Wishing the best :) and sorry for the long post:P looking forward to seeing more.

Oh and brian lol this Last of Us sculpt is by "Michael Knowland"(catstyle) :P
    The-Last-of-Us-Characters-Sculpt-ellie-02.jpg?resize=1020%2C484
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for all the tips guys, I've had a few problems with my SSD so I haven't worked on it much in the last couple of days but this is what I've got up to so far. I think I still need to figure out ZBrush and the correct processes, some of the processes people are mentioning I didn't even know was the norm.

I think the lumpiness is more me not knowing what the 'correct' way to sculpt in Zbrush is rather than the planes. Although I might try doing the planes on her face for my own practice as I'm scared all the tweaks I've adjusted her face to will be all a waste.

e7p0U3U.jpg
    2dNWUEO.jpg
    6r3mfhu.jpg
    sEPBu9e.jpg

Also yes I did finish the fox/wolf guy, I kind of rushed the end due to time constraints (I'm working on time management) but I wasn't happy with it enough to post it up.

Also, I seem to lose my lower divisions halfway through a sculpt and I'm not sure how I can keep them or get them back (It may be because of dynamesh?) But that's probably why it looks lumpy. I like working with clay so I don't mind the lumpiness as it's more clay like but it does look better smoothed when finished.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It won't be a waste. You're making a solid try, but it's not going to be a waste to pull back on a duplicate Ztool and plane out the face. You know what you want it to look like, it's just a baby step of faith to get it to a solid planar form first, and then making the smoothing tweaks from there.

Right now will be a good time to learn a good workflow, instead of hacking away at a workflow that won't help you as quickly in the future. And it's totally possible that later, you won't need planes. You'll be comfortable enough to just sculpt a bust straight up.

Dynamesh does remove lower subdivisions if you don't freeze them.
  • zberry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zberry polycounter lvl 9
    Don't think of the doing the planes as suggested as a waste. If you can avoid the habit of being precious with your own work and being afraid to "waste work" or lose progress, you will advance quicker.

You can't really lose progress that you've made because it is internal progress, rather than progress on an individual piece of work. Doing in depth studies of anatomy and form, iterating/starting over, studying the work of masterful sculptors, will lead you to knowledge and confidence that will allow you to remake better results in less time.

Studying the planes of the face as suggested will help you understand what your model is currently lacking. Also I would suggest to get rid of all of your subdivision levels and spend as much time at lvl 1 or 2, depending on your starting mesh. Get as much form and read as you can at the lowest sub-d level you have, and you will be able to avoid the lumpy look you are currently struggling with.
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Decided to go back to this and fix it up with the planes and such and reboot it. More critique is appreciated. ♥

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally we are turning this thing around.  That already looks a crap ton better, albeit she's a bit alien looking right now. Important note; at this point, forget about making a sexy zombie-killing girl. Just focus on making a girl first. Likeness can come later. 

Don't increase the range of the dynamesh/zremesher too much too quickly. Slowly increase it as you need more geo to work on. Or it will get all muddy looking again.

Replace the zspheres with actual spheres. Place them a bit further apart. There should be almost enough space for another eyeball inbetween the two.

Move ears up higher. Adjust the jawline. Sculpt in the brow ridge. Don't be afraid to destroy what you currently have. It's easier to remake it from scratch.

I'm not posting real girl faces yet. You need more/correct face planes in there first. Follow the references we posted from before.

Post picture from FRONT, SIDE, and 3/4 angle.
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    PyrZern said:
    Move ears up higher. Adjust the jawline. Sculpt in the brow ridge. Don't be afraid to destroy what you currently have. It's easier to remake it from scratch.

Adjust the jawline how? 

UPDATE:

I softened the jaw, I wonder if that's what you meant?

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Wolves To me, the back of your jawline is way too low. It usually lines up with the lips. (depends on each person, of course)  And fix the line from forehead to cheek in 3/4

Again, don't go in details yet. Just block out the shape and planes of the face. Once that's done, then build feature on top of it, not to replace/destroy it.

Let's just do this first.  Note that I'm far far far from knowing my shit about anatomy, but this should more or less move you in the right direction.

• Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Okay, how about this? I tried to fix anything you painted over too, to make more smooth and natural. Thank you so much for your constant help, I really appreciate it. 

Oh my gosh I didn't realise it didn't post! -___-
  • Tomtegubbe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomtegubbe triangle
    I made this maybe it'll help, or not. The eye definitely needs more work, on my sketch too.

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    wait, are you sculpting with Perspective turned on? if you aren't, make sure you turn it on.
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Actually I wasn't and I'm not sure why not, thanks for that. ><;; It's on now and I've worked on it some more, trying to get somewhere with those eyes...

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great, from now on, include some of her upper torso when you post progress of her head. 

Fill in some of her cheeks, and maybe widen her forehead a bit is something I would do next. And keep working on her eye lids.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Corner of her mouths should be flat with the face.  They should divot in.  Lips wrap around the curvature of the teeth, not the face.
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    I have no idea what "divot in" means but I tried to adjust it, thanks guys!

• Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Update: Been working on her body and some more on the face.

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep going man.

EXTRA  

• Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    More updates, I'm actually surprised how such a small little change can make such a huge difference in making the character look more human and life like. 

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At this point, I'm going to recommend you to retopologize your mesh. Having nice topology is AWESOME. It will be easier to sculpt on small areas like eyelids and lips and ears and what not. And the ability to go up and down subdivision level is important.  And it's not that hard to make changes to the base topology in zbrush. So some mistake is reversible.

If you want the toes, sculpt them in now.

You can retop in Maya, 3D Coat, Topogun, or within ZBrush itself. That's up to you.

Feel free to ask questions if you need help in this step.

• Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    I'm having really bad luck with the ZRemesher this time round, I want to keep the details on the face but have a lower poly count on the rest of the body, can anyone give me some tips on how to achieve this? I've spent hours trying different things and I can't seem to pull it off for some reason. ):
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any picture of what you got ??

When it comes to topology, you want these loops. It helps with animations and stuff....
    Notice loops around each eye, and loops around both eyes, and loops around the lips, and loops around nose and lips. Also, loops across the chest, loops around each boob, And so on.

There is more than just one single way to do topology, so I wouldn't get too hang up on it too much.

• Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    I mean how can I make the face high poly but the body low poly, basically is what I'm asking - in Zbrush.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, just make the face poly mesh more dense than the body.  (Place the verticies/polygons closer together)

If her costume/clothing is going to hide her neck seam, then you can even separate the head from the body.

Added:  Oh, do the retopology by hands. Don't use ZRemesher for it.

Added: You have to show me where you are, or I can't tell if you lack technique, or knowledge, or tips.
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    I figured it out eventually. I'm not a fan of doing it by hand unless I really have to. I love sculpting but not a fan of the tedious technical side. ): I couldn't work out how I could drop the polycount of the body but not the head, cause when I polygrouped the head and ears away, I always got a weird mess and couldn't work out what was going wrong and how to fix it, but I got it now. Had to mess with the settings and different things. However I have a low poly now and I'm just glad I got it cause it took like 2 days to work out what was a super simple thing. Maybe I should've done it by hand since it took so long! I learned something new for the future now though. :blush:
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks a little dense, but maybe it will work for now...  Build up subdiv level slowly, and get her face to look pretty.

You will get to do retop by hands eventually, though. (way easier to retop in other programs. Retop in ZB sucks badly.)
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    I worked a bit on fixing the features of the face, smoothing stuff out and making them look better cause I wasn't happy with the eyes and such. It's about 39k on low poly. :) I normally retop by hand in Maya, but it's just too time consuming. :/

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reason I had you retop was so that you could start sculpting more details. And that you could Move things around and Smooth things out without looking muddy.

Start looking up Milla Jovovich's nudes/fakes/photoshops, and follow what you see, I guess. More space between eyes, get rid of her eye bags, and adjust her facial structures to match up.
  • donna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    donna null
    here's some guides as to how to look at reference, I would try looking at Mila's face and try to get the proportions and then change up the features to your liking, but its important to learn from an actual person, also added a quick liquified version of your screencap, the biggest issue is i think your cranium is too narrow and eyes are too big and too close to look correct/appealing.

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good studies and progress going on here, keen to see the result, keep at it :)
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    I'm not looking to follow Milla too closely, I just like her features but I've been referencing features from different people - whatever high quality refs I can find for features I liked. I adjusted some of the face to look more realistic and such. I've started doing the clothes slowly also.

• Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Fixing up some clothes, I didn't realise how challenging and different it is to do clothes 3D compared to 2D. And yes I think I forgot to make the eyeballs visible for some reason. :sweat:

• donna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    donna null
    Yeah that definitely looks better, I would still try to look at more pictures of bald woman just to see what the scull really looks like, i feel like the side of the cranium needs to come out more in relationship to the actual face, otherwise i would just clean up the shapes around the mouth and eyelids to make sure nothing looks wobbly, but there's a definitely improvement... also it'd be good if you posted a bottom angle view of the face so you can tell how flat/round the shapes on the face are

• Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    I got what you mean about the head, so I tried to adjust a bit. I hope it looks a little better like this!

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    * You definitely should have someone in mind when you make a character. (and look up his/her pictures) Mashing people up like Frankenstein's monster doesn't work out nicely, UNLESS you really understand anatomy.

* Spend more time looking from 3/4 angle when sculpting face/head. Use reference.

* Don't get hung up on the clothing mesh you have. You most likely gonna have to redo it a few times. It's muddy and mushy atm, and wrinkles don't exactly work that way. 

Depends on the material of the fabric...

• Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Tried to soften it out a bit and work into the wrinkles a bit better.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might want to retopologize the clothes now so you can clean and smooth out the edges.
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    I retopo'd the clothes but I feel like maybe a skirt would compliment the outfit better than shorts? I'm not sure. I defiantly need more help with making it look more natural though.
    Edit: Also fixed up the head a bit cause I realised from 3/4 view it lost some of the fat in the cheeks.

Edited:

• Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    So I wasn't happy with the skirt look either so I scrapped it and went back to the shorts and fixed the clothes up, I feel like this suits her look much better.