BMW Progress/Problems

Jerry_Royals
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Jerry_Royals polycounter lvl 3
Latest Update: April 8, 2015

AdLStjM.png

Original Post:

Hello, I modeled a BMW 6-series E63. However, it is not smooth and I feel its a mess to work with. I'm starting from scratch and will post the results here. I'm planning to model, texture, and light in marmoset. I'm new to 3ds Max and have been using edge modeling. I will post here everyday. I would like help on catching any problems especially bumps that show from the spec highlight. Thanks!

These are my references: http://i.imgur.com/aX6bDw3.jpg

EuHxFBb.png
PDkEKGv.png

Replies

• Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    I would suggest blocking the whole thing first. Don't worry about edge loops or anything like that (if you're on 2015, you may not even need edge loops and just use the crease tool.) All that comes in the modeling stage.

Block everything. Then model everything. Then texture everything.
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardyDan polycounter lvl 2
    Start as low, and as even as possible when constructing your base mesh. You can build it up in sections if that makes it easier. Once you've got it down, try setting up some smoothing groups and use turbosmooth (with smoothing groups turned on) to give an initial base. This will help keep your geometry even, and give you enough poly's to play around with to add any significant details.

Try to lay off adding chamfers/guide wires and giving it a final smooth over until your base for the exterior shell is complete.

Also remember to optimize your initial smooth. If you have to add any edges, be sure to use tools such as edge constraint so you don't ruin the curvature.

Also, try to keep your stacks intact, so you can reference your initial geometry.

8s893RS.jpg

I recently constructed a base mesh myself for a lambo using this method, which you can find here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147265
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardyDan wrote: »
    Once you've got it down, try setting up some smoothing groups and use turbosmooth (with smoothing groups turned on) to give an initial base. This will help keep your geometry even, and give you enough poly's to play around with to add any significant details.

This video explains what Dan was talking about just there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87I8FpXn3Yc&feature=youtu.be
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome!

Break down into sections sounds appealing. This is the hood of the car.

1SVQAtE.png

I started with a box shape made from a spline -> convert to editable poly -> then subdiv for the rest. This is one object, subdivided and with a symmetry mod, no smoothing. Now that I look at it the horizontal edges should curve in tandem with the top and bottom edge of the hood, correct?

@Joltya the video on turbosmooth is good and clears up what I should do when smoothing for later.

@BeardyDan thats a good looking car, thanks for the link.

Let me know if this is a logical way to go. As for connecting the parts is it simply welding edges?
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let me know if this is a logical way to go. As for connecting the parts is it simply welding edges?

Or using the bridge tool. Also, it seems obvious, but don't connect everything. i.e. the door needs to be it's own piece, as well as the hood, etc.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Something that might help you - actually it helps a lot more than it might sound at first:
    Use curves to 'sketch' the main lines of the whole car. When you then model the parts you can snap your vertices to the curve to get the correct shape.

To do so properly you will also need additional pictures from different angles to be able to see how it bends.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    I did something similar to what Biomag is saying, I traced as many body curves as I could with the ep curve tool (I use maya) and then rebuilt the curves and bridge a nurbs surface smoothly linking to the different curves, then I later convert to it to polygons

I dug up my old truck to show how few curves are actually needed
    a_zpsjrtqd5yc.jpg

and a lambo I made using the same method
    b_zpswghuxrwr.jpg
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is becoming an amazing how-to thread for building hard surface models, especially cars.

Subscribing to this for later-
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerry, I think your geo is still a bit too uneven due to the topology you used during your first step. I've drawn over your image to show you what I think you should be using. It also looks like you have a crease going down the middle. Make sure you use symmetry before your first smooth, then separate after, like I did in that image. Your geometry has to be as clean as possible to ensure a clean silhouette whilst avoiding normal and reflection issues.

vL9pWVA.jpg
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the direction everyone. I tried a bunch of things today and I feel I botched it a bunch while exploring. I attempted the fender. At first I ended up edge modeling again but noticed it was not smooth. I started over and tried using the 'U Loft' on several CV and Point Curves.

788t5Gy.png

Both the hood and fender are independent parts as shown in blue and green respectively. This is a bit of combination of what has been said earlier about setting up curves, outlining the car, as CandyStripes05 said making a surface.

My concerns are:

- This method I've worked out seems very messy. This must be wrong.

- In model #1 at the red circle, why is the surface curving there and not lofting straight over from one point to another. Is one of the Bezier handles doing that? Following that flaw there is an unwanted indentation across the entire fender.

- There is a gap towards the bottom where I did not loft. Lofting would create a surface in #3 that I do not want.

- I found the 3ds Max 'Tesselation Method' for the surface but I'm not sure how to lower the tessellation to how the hood is.

As said before, I've lost my trail.

@BeardyDan I'll head back to the hood and try to post another update tonight with better topo according to your drawings.

@CandyStripes05 very nice models btw
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's better topo on the hood. Those horizontal edges okay? I tried fanning them out more with the 'constrain to edge' turned on. I'd like to get another part close to done today for critique and what not. Maybe the trunk. I think I'm understanding the 'blocking in' phase better.

crPTyV5.png
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here, my first tutorial if you can call it that

first%20tutorial_zpsnypndewm.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    788t5Gy.png

- There is a gap towards the bottom where I did not loft. Lofting would create a surface in #3 that I do not want.

for that problem you could always break the curve into two parts and then continue lofting or which ever method you are using without having geo running the entire length of the old curve
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the trunk.

ARuyToN.png

Looking at the car I knew there must be 3 main planes as shown in #3. I noticed a cross hatch like pattern was not the way to go as you can see in 1 and 2. The polys should be in a continuous flow. This helped later in #4 when refining the slopes.

I want to 'nitpick', is it okay to put edges shown in #4? I feel more res could help with smoothing. But is that sorta thing left for smooth modifiers later?

In #4b, facets are shown. Probably something I don't have to worry about but I know in Maya I can simply soften the normals. 3ds have something like that?

@CandyStripes05 Thanks for the info pic. I've worked with NURBS and curves in Maya so all of that looks familiar to me. I think my problem is figuring out the procedure in 3ds. However, I've never rebuilt a curve for even spacing. I noticed that in your first posted image as well. I'll try curves/NURBS again on another section. See what happens.

Also, I may post parts from my previous attempt at this BMW model.These parts are like the wheel, side mirror, parts not part of the main body. I'd like to know if my topo looks correct.
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back from the weekend, I worked on the body. I'm not fond of the end result. Seems bumpy. Is it fine?

NP1Y1Az.png

--'Seems' Between Car Parts--
    How do I create the 'seem' between car parts? Last time I attempted this car I modeled the entire exterior, minus lights and windows, as one object; then separated each section, the fender, bumper etc., into elements; used a shell modifier to add thickness and was able to get the seems. I don't know if I should do that again or not.

--Edge Flow Image--
    In the 'Edge Flow' image there are two areas. The first is a concern if I were to begin connecting parts, I need to have the same edges. Would adding edges be correct? Do I need to connect the car parts even? The second is just a question on correct topology. The ridge from the hood fades down in the A-pillar of the car. Is that topology okay there?

bJlgAV9.png

--Smoothing--

I'd like to smooth the hood and trunk. I'm guessing some of the parts of the car do not need turbo smooth. Maybe just a smoothing modifier. I'm sure its a trial and error to see how it all plays out. What is a good procedure to go through when trying smoothing techniques?

Joltya posted this earlier about using two turbo smooths so there's no newly created distortion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87I8FpXn3Yc&feature=youtu.be

--NURBS/Curves--

Is there a way to get a corner out of a point or CV curve, Instead of curved angles? Once creating a surface, it always ends up as tris, how do I make it quads? I'd like to use NURBS but it's been tricky. So far it's only edge modeling.

A lot of questions. I will try to look for some answers online. Thanks for any answers/suggestions.
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured out the smoothing stuff. Smoothing groups, wow, amazing tool.

ssveIfY.png

#1 is unsmoothed, #2 is smoothed with wireframe, #3 is smoothed no wireframe.

The red circle on #3 shows the light picking up a vertical edge. This must mean I need more divisions in that curve of the car, correct?

Do I need to bevel edges? I'm looking at this car as if it were to be in a game. Do games bevel all edges, the edges where faces are at 90 degrees per say? I have some edges near the license plate area that should be beveled if it comes to that.

I feel like I don't need a normal map for this car...not sure.
  • Har
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Har polycounter lvl 3
    I think that you see in the red circle two edges too close to eachother as seen in the wireframe image.

Not sure if you have to bevel edges, for normal maps it would be better I guess.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Typically game cars do not get the same treatment as normal game assets. They do use normal maps, but not on the body to control shading.

Not all edges get beveled, because not all edges need beveled. In your case for this example, it will most likely be beneficial to add them.

In your image, the issue for #3 I think is probably caused by the extra edge on that corner visible in #2. See if you can weld those verts together so there is just one line coming up from the exhaust cutout in the bumper.
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. Fixing that edge on the rear bumper won't be hard and that's good to know about the normal map.

Here's the front bumper,

moz77yw.png

Having some smoothing problems. There's a few things I need to tackle with smoothing and I'm still working on the model.

One is the diagonal shading indicated by the black circles. How do I get rid of this? It appears in many places. Some are very subtle. Is it because the points of the quads are not coplanar? How do I make the points coplanar. 'View Align' and 'Make Planar' aren't the right tool.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man, just want to point out you are doing well, I used to do cars all the time and still enjoy modeling them a lot, it's a whole art by itself to do proper polyflow for them, lots of people model cars and fail to do a good job at it. You're on the right track!

One thing I want to add is, you should have some kind of polygon budget/goal in mind. It determines how you handle certain things (the higher your budget the more complex).
    I'd advice not to go too high: aim for like 6000ish tri's for the body. It gets way harder the higher your budget is, so don't over do it the first time :)

edit; also don't model the separate panels as separate parts. Model them connected, you can always cut them apart later. Just leave edges where you want the cut to be. It's definitely easier to model the body as one object.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    To make your life easier, have a youtube video playing in a second monitor of someone walking around a car. Makes modeling cars 1000x more interesting/easier than just looking at pictures.
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xoliul Thanks buddy, that means a lot. Yep, I've connected the parts of what I have and it's easier. My first attempt at this car had the polycount way too high but now my tri count is still below 2k. I definitely don't want to get into too much detail on this first car model.

@JordanN I never thought of a video. I'll look that up.

i9M2AQG.png

Here is my base mesh of the body. How does it look?

I've talked to a few people and I'm told getting a normal map from a high poly mesh will help with the smoothing on my low poly here. I'm thinking of using smoothing groups and turbo smooth. There's a few places I need to fix some geometry for the turbo smooth.
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What a nice post this is! Very interesting and instructive.

Jerry your progress is awesome and I love the wireframe.
    I would like to pinch in the discussion with my model. I dont want too much attention on this since its not my post, but just a quick tip of what I should do with it would be nice!

So, I have this car (Fiat dino coupe) in ZBrush, I made the base in 3Ds Max and continued in ZBrush and I dont know what should I do with it next so I can get it textured.

e2e087e8b6.jpg
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xoliul Thanks buddy, that means a lot. Yep, I've connected the parts of what I have and it's easier. My first attempt at this car had the polycount way too high but now my tri count is still below 2k. I definitely don't want to get into too much detail on this first car model.

@JordanN I never thought of a video. I'll look that up.

i9M2AQG.png

Here is my base mesh of the body. How does it look?

I've talked to a few people and I'm told getting a normal map from a high poly mesh will help with the smoothing on my low poly here. I'm thinking of using smoothing groups and turbo smooth. There's a few places I need to fix some geometry for the turbo smooth.

I think this is looking much better, one thing I would suggest would be adding some divisions along the door at some point, for the sake of it being more "authentic" you'd want those polys there for damage morphs.

One thing I think you should also do is apply a cubemap to this mesh to make sure the geometry is good for reflections, as pinching reflections are pretty ugly.

Also, remember to use the "Turn" function in max to check the how the mesh triangulates, ideally you want every poly to triangulate in the same direction, this will help resolve some shading issues.
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, been a bit since the last post. The days are turning into: day 1 = learning/research, day 2 = execution. I like to post with progress.

@BeardyDan Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and added more edges on the door, added a indentation for the handle, and made my own cube map. I will definitely look into the Turn function.

I'm still working on the hi poly, working with the smoothing groups and supporting edges. Spots like on the bottom of the headlight area have bumps.

I also brought in some other parts of the car as you can see. The grill on the bottom will be replaced with a curved plane and a texture made in photoshop.

Cube Map!
    First time making a cube map. I followed Mik2121 tutorial. He uses Nvidia Texture Tools and Xoliul Shader.

Mik2121 tutorial: www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqMmjBSWByw
    Nvidia Texture Tools: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop
    Xoliul Shader2: http://viewportshader.com/

For the images of the cube map I used an Android App, Google Camera, and took pictures in a field using the spherical camera option.
    Google Camera: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.GoogleCamera&hl=en

The last thing I did in the cube map process was enable the Gamma/LUT in Customize-->Preference-->Gamma and LUT tab--> check the 'Enable Gamma/LUT'. For me I dropped it from the default 2.2 to 1.6 or something. The Xoliul shader disables it when installing.

I'll try to post later today.

UIlkWx4.png

YeWt1O5.png
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the complete smoothed out car. This is the high poly. If this is good then I'm ready to separate the parts, UV map the low poly, then bake the normals to low poly. Any bad bumps there?

1Ii2inz.png

I've been working on other parts of the car and will soon have a complete car. I do not understand the texturing process. How do I begin to create shaders for the car with it ending up in marmoset 2? Can someone point me to an in depth tutorial for creating shaders/textures for cars?
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why are you uv mapping the highpoly if you're baking it down to a lowpoly?
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why are you uv mapping the highpoly if you're baking it down to a lowpoly?

Woops, I said that wrong. I sort of ran my sentences together in that last post.

Fixed last post...

Separate the car into its parts > UV map the low poly > bake normals (and an AO map?)
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have two questions:

1) How do I create the look of separate parts of the car using or not using turbo smooth. The correct edges are split with the body as one object made up of several elements (3ds max). I can use turbo smooth as I have done in #1, then place supporting edges to refine the parts, make the gaps smaller. However, more geometry is added. I do not want the extra polys.

2) Do I need to unwrap parts of the low poly that will have no textures and only shaders (spec, gloss, color)? Currently two parts of the car will have normal maps, the body and tires. These two parts will be unwrapped.

Thanks!

K6N4uH2.png
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can unwrap it all and just stack the parts that are not getting any special textures like dirt or decals in "extra" spaces of the uv map and put them in different stacks according to colour

ie. all black trim can stack together

But I'm sure there is a way better way, like taking the time to unwrap everything but that does take up a lot of space. Maybe a 2nd smaller uv map for the odds and ends. I'm sure someone else can chime in with a better suggestion.

As for the different panels you can either leave the body as one mesh and let your normal map work it's magic (if you never plan on having the doors open) or you can leave a small gap and just extrude in for a 90 degree edge. It'll be enough for the light to catch and show the different panels, and it won't kill your poly count

I'd recommend option 2
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CandyStripes05 Yeah, stacking UV's is good. I'll have to see what I run into. As far as the car panels go I figured out a way that's similar to what you said, the second option and not relying on the normal map.

1) Click on the edge where I wish the groove or gap to be formed

2) Click chamfer for about .5 with two new edges on either side of the original.

3) Click extrude with a value of -1.0.

When using chamfer and extrude around corners it became a bit messy but I was able to clean it up.

TxlRubY.png
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question that hopefully someone could answer. I'm unwrapping the UV's for the body of the car. The body is symmetrical besides the gas hatch on one side of the car. Can I UV unwrap one side, mirror it to the other and paste the UV's on the second half? Then just clean up the few polys on the gas hatch.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, uv map the symmetrical parts and either mirror the mesh or transfer the attributes then just move the uv's around so both halves have their own unique space
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardyDan wrote: »
    Also, remember to use the "Turn" function in max to check the how the mesh triangulates, ideally you want every poly to triangulate in the same direction, this will help resolve some shading issues.

Does this mean going thru each tri and making it go say top left to bottom right? What if there are edge loops making a circle? I'm guessing this step isn't critical since there might be a few differences in the mesh?

VVAr2X0.png

@CandyStripes05 Didn't see your last message there until now. That's good. Should go quicker then with the UV's.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R33_wire.png

make sure you flip the uv's of the mirrored geo so the textures on it aren't reversed which allows you to use letters and numbers

(pretty obvious, but just wanted to mention it to be safe)
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sliterin polycounter lvl 11
    Guys thanks for this great thread. I didn't knew how should I try to make my own lowpoly car and all is here right now! It's very helpful, especially that I want to set my car in very reflective environment.
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sliterin Thanks for stopping by!

@CandyStripes05 Thanks for the UV image. I noticed you did not stack any UV's?

Is it okay to stack mirrored UV's on the original if the texture will be the same? I'm thinking of putting a stripe down the side so the hood, top, and trunk will need separate spaces of course. The fenders could stack though, correct? Or is this more needless work for little benefit of optimization.

Stripe example (one side is different): http://i.imgur.com/TqzJNtZ.jpg

Side Decal Example (would be same on both sides): http://i.imgur.com/hYUIVLz.jpg

UV's have been split based on smoothing groups.

gShEzCd.png
    b4jtyva.png
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the uv shot I posted was from google images, I personally stack uv's on small stuff that you won't tell the difference on like window trim or brake lights

I wouldn't stack your sides or even do the half hood like you have, id make those all separate and position them similar to the googled image I posted earlier. This way if you wanted to change the texture down the road you can and you can get a better flow for different stripes if they are laid out like that. Also I can't imagine and game company stacking uv's on car panels unless it is a really low rez project.

Oh and if you wanted to add dirt, scratches etc you could without them being obviously mirrored

When you do uv map your car and you have both sides mapped to the same set of uv's, make sure you flip the one sides uv's vertically and hold shift (at least in maya) to move them up on the map without them moving left or right. This way you can do the same for your texture in photoshop to line everything up in seconds, texture the one half group everything flip it and slide it up. Then make any small changes needed.
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info CandyStripes. All of your posts have been highly informative. Modeling is currently my forte, trying to get the UV/texturing up to speed.

Here is the UV map of the car body. How does it look? I of course still have to get the other parts in there. How do the UV clusters look?

This is a screen grab so I can show the selected red UV's. Those are the UV's I decided to stack. The selection contains UV's for parts on the bottom of the body, the gaps between the car parts, and the extruded areas where the brake lights and head lights cover up.

I'm following the smoothing groups I set up earlier. The geometry between the car parts is sort of a pain to make UV's for. Maybe I should of let a normal map take care of that, oh well.

3qKXV1b.png
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good, might want to leave a little more edge padding in some spots
    The geometry between the car parts is sort of a pain to make UV's for

do you mean the extruded edges in between all the different panels? you could always overlap those uv's right on top of the edge of the panel it came from

I ended up deleting all the extruded edges I had done because in the end they weren't all that beneficial compared to increased tri count

but I did a quick remodel to show you what I mean:

car1_zpsubhqtqxe.jpg

top two images are my door with it's uv's without the added geo in between panels
    bottom two images are the door with the added faces and the uv's of the added faces flipped over on top the panel, done so in a way that it does not increase the size of my uv island and take up more room - also if you had a stripe on the door or anything, it would continue smoothly around the bend of the corner
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CandyStripes05 For me, I extruded in between the car parts but have more than one extruded part. Each part extrudes in then connects to the other part. I might have not done it the best way. Below is what I mean:

4YF916R.png

Also, I did some normal map tests. There are a few problems. Not too sure how to fix some of them. This is done in 3ds max.

iVGOzS1.png

qNXGX7w.png

Hm7lcQ9.png

I know the red areas on the rendered image above mean a ray mischeck. However, increasing the cage size does not change the mischeck. Maybe the cage selection is overlapping those areas?

A side note, why does 3ds Max not show normal maps in viewport? I have on realistic mode, and 'show materials in viewport'. It shows a flawed normal map. When rendered its fine, I thought I had more problems at first when only looking at the viewport:

RlyNxYU.png

Again, this is all 3ds max above. I tried xNormal, mostly the same results but a bit better. The roof didn't have any artifacts as I have shown above.

Any guidance as to how to solve the artifacts?
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Something that might help you is to remember that the purpose of your high poly model is to use it for baking purposes. So construct it that way. That means add a little bit more bevel to your edges so that more information gets baked on to your normal map.

I would also add more geometry to your low poly to get smoother curves. You have some edges that are still a little too faceted. That should help with your bakes as well since the low poly will match the high poly a little bit better.

Take a read through this thread if you haven't already.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154

and

http://artforgames.com/infotuts/guide-bevels/

Hope this helps!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try loading it in Toolbag 2 and setting the tangent space to max to see if the issues go away. Max's viewport isn't synced to it's renderer in terms of tangent space afaik.
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tobbo Thanks, those links helped out. Got me thinking as to what could be wrong with my model's normals.

@EarthQuake I started using xNormal since I was getting better results from default settings. I didn't know those settings were there in marmoset. That helps.

Things are going well. I will try to finish fixing the normal map tomorrow and post it. Should be feasible and exciting. Might be a noob statement but I didn't know I needed smoothing groups on the high poly. That fixed some problems for the normal map...
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been frustrating and difficult to fix these normals. I've been able to fix some major ones but there are black pixels along the gaps between the car panels.

However, below I have the low poly mesh in marmoset without a normal map and using smoothing groups...um...I don't see why I need a normal map. This can save me some real headaches. I think at my skill level working on simpler objects for normal maps can help me more so. I will need normal maps for the tire treads, no doubt. Does this make sense?

PIRIK55.png
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Actually the most of the car driver games doesn't have normalmaps on the cars bodies for multiple reasons. You will be not limited to the normalmap's resolution then (cars are quite big objects and then you would need highres normalmap). Also it has very smooth surface, so the artifacts from the compressed normalmap would be very noticeable. You still need uvmap for the body if you want to add decals or a thing like the speckles in the car paint, or dirts in the roughness/albedo map. Currently you have hard edges along the break of the smoothing (smoothing groups) but you can solve this easily with chamfers/supportloops. and then you can use one smoothing group or just a few, and you will have rounded edges too (or at least they will look like that). Tire still need a normalmap and maybe a few other things too :).
  • Jerry_Royals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Obscura Thanks for the confirmation. Totally saves me time.
    Obscura wrote: »
    Currently you have hard edges along the break of the smoothing (smoothing groups) but you can solve this easily with chamfers/supportloops. and then you can use one smoothing group or just a few, and you will have rounded edges too (or at least they will look like that).

Can you specify which hard edges those are? I get confused sometimes when and where to chamfer.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    You have hard edges everywhere, where you have 2 different smoothing groups next to each other (smoothing split). I would say add the chamfers/supportloops until it looks good with one smoothing groups. And then a normalmap would be totally pointless. Higher polygon count is totally acceptable nowadays, if it worth. Some racing games has cars above 50k or more or a lot more. There are a few threads here about the current gen polygon count in games. It worth to check out.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried baking out a quick normal map for my lambo to see if it would be worth it, safe to say the only normal map applied was on the tires

the higher polycount was both easier and better looking
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    With a polycount this high, a normal map is not needed on the body. Still i would make one to bake stuff from to other textures. have fun.