Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chiffy's Character Art Progress

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys! So I'm graduating this Spring 2015, and decided that before this school semester starts I want to create my own thread to get feedback for the personal work I'll be doing outside of school to get my portfolio ready for graduation. I've got most of my hard classes out of the way, and will finally have the time this semester for real personal work! I'm in the early early stages of doing my first head in Zbrush which I want to use for a more realistic character I have planned (any thoughts on direction would be cool though):

UcY3Ya4jpg

hxdfijAjpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Regarindg your head, have you read this yet?:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76733

Right now, your bust lacks defined forms and feels lumpy overall. There's no confident definitions of bony landmarks like at the zygomatic arch, or the cheek planes. Study the asaro head, attempt to either recreate or emulate the forms you see their on your existing head.

Taric's proportions seem fine, nothing some scaling post everything can't fix I think. What bothers me is how bad his silhouette looks in terms of noise, there's no gestural focus to it. But that's not your fault, that's exactly how the game model looks.

You need to pose him in a more relaxed A-pose. He's reading really stuff right now and locked elbows and knees will make future riggers sad.

And do not worry about starting in Zbrush, you can go either way, as long as any method works. Personally for me I do a lot of organic blocking out im Zbrush and hard element constructing in Maya just because it serves my future purposes of clean meshes to extract from.
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome! Thanks for the feedback JadeEye :) no I hadn't seen those images, they're really helping! Was able to get a little more done on it before I head off to bed tonight (Smoothed out the eyes, redoing them), will post an updated version of it with more study tomorrow. This is supposed to be a female btw, hope that comes across. I guess I should pull in the jawline more, seems too square and strong for my liking.

2J4f3O5.png

Agree with you about Taric, I'll make him look less stiff. Yeah his silhouette is busy with all those crystals and his armor, maybe I can somehow remedy that...oh actually I had planned on doing the hard surface parts of future models in Max until whenever I decide to try Zbrush hard surface, which probably won't be for awhile haha.
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Some more updates:

7OH3rMw.png

p3Zr3rf.png

Working on getting those eyes right, and separating those planes.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where are the planes?
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    I put them in there, but then I smoothed them over, too much though I guess. The forms aren't differentiated enough? I don't want to make them too sharp where it's obvious they're there right? Difficult balancing act haha. I've made some adjustments since that picture, I'll post a newer one by tonight. Thanks for keeping me alert JadeEye!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd aim to make sure all your planes are nailed first (and I mean hardened planes) before moving on to smoothing.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    One thing I'd suggest is to get all the major landmarks in place, you're still missing ears. It's hard to tell if things are working without everything blocked in. It might also help to have separate spheres for the eyes to make sure they are spherical. In my past experience I've found doing this really helps to structure the face.
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    JadeEyePanda: Yep, that makes sense! :)

kosh_fotsirk: Yeah good point, it's becoming a lot clearer since I put the ears in place and have the eyes as a seperate subtool.

Y2qtULR.png
    j9DTVgt.png

I changed a lot since the last update, still have to fix the lips, eyes and the ears some more. Does the jawline look ok or too strong/not blended enough? (I'll probably blend it more near the ear) Happy that I have all the landmarks in place though and I adjusted the anatomy of it. Notably the skull I had was too long, don't know how I didn't see that right away, and the angle of the face was off. Comes with experience though I guess haha. Looking forward to finishing this head soon and moving on to the body!
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Been a while since I posted, got caught up in some stuff! Made considerable progress so far though, I know I have to tweak the ears and the eyelids etc. The eyelids in particular are really tricky, trying to find good reference for that area.

fZO7DIn.png

xBaOnmJ.png

J0eCFXP.png
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Decided on this concept by Chen Rayden: QUjOcR2.jpg

I've started to change the topology of the face to match, lots of work left with that. Really wanted to get some hair on her to help me frame the face and get a sense of where it's going, so I added in some quick.

Nh3ck1y.png
    V3AE3YR.png
    ui1xGW5.png
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Made a bash mesh for the body (besides hands), tweaking it still but it's roughed in. Now the challenge for me is going to get the overall proportions of the body to match the concept when I don't really have a full frontal view. The head I still need to come back to, but I wanted to post an update since it's been a bit. She is 9 heads tall, which I'm going to go with vs 8. (Good idea for heroic proportions correct?)

MwhHnQt.png

tHoS0Cw.png
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Little more work on the face before I head to bed, lots of fixing left to do (ignore eye area):

7UNyl5N.png
    3Bg19Gq.png

Any comments/crits welcome!
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    More updates to the body, and tweaked head a bit:

nnYi7c3.png

yVkZCKe.png
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I think the form on the body needs some work.
    As it is roughed out, I would suggest stepping down a few subdivs. I find that more problems arise when you work in high poly right off the bat.
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Hey! Thanks for the feedback man, appreciate it! Yeah I agree, I've been going lower on the subdiv level as I do tend to go too high at first.
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Not much time to work on it today, but made some progress:

hoNvu9M.png

Urmo1h4.png
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still to high resolution. Just cuz you're dynameshing doesn't mean you necessarily need to push that many polys when you're trying to get a basic form.

Minus the hands. Separate that, since fingers don't play nice with low dynamesh scaling.
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Lots of progress made on the body sculpt which I'll show soon, also just put up some quick hair to think about what hairstyle I want for her; it'll be different than the concept.

dNYyBSi.png
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She might need a slightly thinner waist to accentuate the elvish proportions. And her head may need to be slightly scaled because she's got a REALLY wide shoulder breadth relative to her head size.

EDI: Internet was slow, didn't see the original image that you're referencing. My mistake.
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah I agree, I either have to make the shoulders smaller or bring them in, or scale her head. Yeah I'll make sure her waist is narrow too. Thanks Panda!
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Some more progress, just have to detail/refine some areas. Any thoughts/critique?

gGGYcmi.png

GqEaGo6.png
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you looking at a nude female while modeling this as reference?

You're missing bony landmarks like the illiac crest, bottom of the rib cage volume, or other volume landmarks like the mon pubis.

Your T-pose could use more gestural relaxation. It's feeling all stiff, especially with how staight the arms are.

Deltoids are way too squared off, makes her look male.

Breasts are way too round, they look fake. Need to give them a more tear shape, allow gravity to do some work to bring both the nipples and arreolas to a more relaxed, realistic position.

Raise the arms up. Make a future rigger's life slightly more easier. 45 degrees should be the ballpark for an A pose like this.
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome, thanks for all the advice Panda! Yeah I'm looking at a lot of ref, problem is I guess I'm just not seeing what's really there. I mean I know some of the details aren't there yet, like some of them you mentioned. Anyways I'll post an update after I work on it more, thanks again!
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Try not to use too many different ref images for anatomy. It will help to find a good set (like 3d.sk) for the whole body with a single person if you can so your muscle groups will have a general consistency.

Easiest way to get broad quick self critique is to roughly match your model/viewport to your ref image, screen shot, into PS and then overlay the ref on top of your screen grab. Use the hide layer eye to flick between them and find where the main issues are :)
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the advice klown, I took it and it definitely helped! Here's the latest progress:

uyEduIc.jpg
    Hu1IeWS.jpg

What would be the best way of joining the head to the body without losing the detail I've sculpted? Never done projection or anything, and I guess I'd have to dynamesh to join them together? Want to do that without losing the detail/topology I have.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you need to? Think about where the body is hiding underneath the armor.
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    I would really prefer to, so I know how to do this effectively...
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're going to have to dynamesh it to join them together.
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    I managed to dynamesh together and keep the detail, figured out how projection works! Really cool stuff! Also, I'm focusing my attention again on the face, tweaking it and going to define more stuff. What do you guys think of the proportion tweak I made here? I felt like the face was too elongated and almost kind of drooping, so I made this tweak. There's a front and side view of it.

NyHpUpR.gif

9bTaSMO.gif
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Made some big face changes (skull was too long still, and adjusted the angle and severity of facial features):

iDzItDz.gif

and here's where the body is now:

4yRULds.jpg

poVJNwT.jpg

Feedback is welcome as always!
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys! Been a while since I posted, been busy with other school stuff, here's more updates I've made so far, wanna make sure the anatomy is solid before moving on. Still gotta fix some areas but almost satisfied to move on, especially since as my first character sculpt, I feel I hit anatomy hard and have learned a ton. Any feedback is welcome and really helpful/encouraging!

I shortened the legs and made her what should be 8 heads tall, not sure if I like her longer legged look bettter though, so any suggestions on what to do with that specifically would be cool! (Unless you guys think it looks better this way!) Also made her head a tad larger, and other smaller changes you can notice from the previous post.

35ptTKx.jpg
    JRqKgrS.jpg
    fCsN4eD.jpg
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Early stage of blocking out hair, think I'll go with a style something like this:

xBM1BTM.png

Feedback always welcome! Especially since I've never done hair...
  • 3sm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3sm
    Nice updates, it's getting there. Atm the shoulders are still a bit wide imo - she would look a bit more femenine if you pushed them in just a tad. Amd eye need some tweaking but i'm sure you'll get on that since it's all wip. As far as the hair - will you make them (in the end) with hair cards or a "solid mesh"? First thing that jumped to my mind was Hella done by Hai Phan when i saw you hair blockout, but then i saw the concept you are working from - i guess you are not sticking with it?
    Keep it up.
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    3sm wrote: »
    Nice updates, it's getting there. Atm the shoulders are still a bit wide imo - she would look a bit more femenine if you pushed them in just a tad. Amd eye need some tweaking but i'm sure you'll get on that since it's all wip. As far as the hair - will you make them (in the end) with hair cards or a "solid mesh"? First thing that jumped to my mind was Hella done by Hai Phan when i saw you hair blockout, but then i saw the concept you are working from - i guess you are not sticking with it?
    Keep it up.

Hey! Thanks for the suggestions! Made some changes:

nsJ2A7X.png

Haha it's funny you thought of Hella, she's part of my reference! :) I'll probably stick with a hair mesh for this sculpt, though I have heard cards can give better results. Yeah I haven't been sticking with the concept too much, for the armor I'll go back to it though.
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, been a while since last post...school's been busy! Wrapping up her face soon, just some more smoothing and couple tweaks, but I'm pretty pleased with it. Next up, hair detailing!

e3uB5Ta.png
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The inner eye upper eyelid rarely terminates like that. You should get that fixed.

You might want to thicken the ear edges to make topology a little easier.

Nice progress!

laser-blepharoplasty-eyelid-correction.jpg
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Brian! Oh good point on the upper eyelid, was actually eyeing (lol) that area myself. Makes sense about the ears too, didn't think of that. Thanks!
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Starting to build the armor:

dPH82N3.png
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Hey Chiffy,
    good work on your character so far.
    I agree with Brian but I suggest you make some quick changes to her nose wings as well. They transition into the area of the naso-labial furrow too softly. You might also bring the inner canthus of the eye closer to the wing (excuse my shabby paintover):

U6P5xSu.jpg
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Hey DerRazputin, thanks for the advice! I actually changed the face sculpt a lot since that last update, here's a closeup:

gyz8iiQ.png

Seems like that area is ok now :)

Edit: Actually the nose wing needs to be adjusted like you said, fixing it now!
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Been a while since I posted, too long! I'm graduated now so I'll be posting here a lot more often :) latest progress:

rkIji7u.jpg

CMGhRl7.jpg

Deciding on how the armor is going to look exactly.
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Trying to find good reference for the leather wrinkles. Not sure how I'm doing so far? Also trying out a color scheme with polypaint, not final by any means. Suggestions are welcome as always :)

XsIOfEF.jpg
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Little color scheme change, and started the cape wrinkles:

OYIVXvt.png

6k747yD.jpg

Xqf9IoB.jpg
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Refined the sculpt a bit, and changed the color scheme. I wasn't feeling the previous one, think this one looks better.

wYrGpEy.jpg
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    getting there!
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Made a lot of progress, will show body in next update. Here's the updated face though!

Tf0tPNP.jpg
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    An update with color and slight face adjustments. All this texturing is just preliminary, and I plan on transferring the polypaint into photoshop/3D coat, where the real texturing will begin. First I'm finishing the armor :) will post big update soon.

cW7L3Ph.jpg
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Making my way through the armor!

625Uvia.jpg

ILcz5Ff.jpg
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, been too long again! Here's an update:

bJWK6zA.png

Will move onto detailing like scratches, bit more filigree, and then can move onto retopo stage! Time to speed things up now that I have time again!
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Whew, back to this thread! Way too long! I've done a lot of art studies that I haven't posted, but I've come back to this character and refined a lot of her. Here are some Keyshot renders:

I'm getting ready to retopo after final tweaks. I'm thinking I should tone down the scratches, what do you all think? The hair is placeholder, getting replaced with planes. Feedback very welcome!