Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - VFX

[Riot Art Contest] - Kevin Leroy

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Sirhaian polycounter lvl 3
Hello everyone!

This will be my WIP thread for the Riot Contest, in the VFX category.
And this post will be updated as soon as new content is ready to be shared.

cdSL3IA.jpg

I am a 21yo belgian student studying video games. I recently found myself a new hobby: playing with particles. So, I decided to join the contest !
I'm mostly participating in order to learn from my mistakes...

I started working on this... eh... on the 18th, if I remember well? I have such a bad memory! ^^'

NEWS
======

FULL VIDEO (last WIP):

[vv]113196742[/vv]

Spell 1:

Anyway, here are my first WIPs. I am currently only working on the first spell, while thinking about the second one.

After a few hours of wondering which kind of spell I could create as a fan art, I decided to make a Karthus-like ultimate, but, instead of using souls, I'll be using the Power of the Storm !

Anyway, here are my first Refs and WIPs...

E4KZBTe.jpg
u2Il9bc.jpg

Here's an in-game Mock-Up:
ONccMcf.jpg

GIF preview of the effect:
sKJKlk2.gif

And here we go!
I just made a video too, so you can see the actual animation. Please remember, it's only a WIP. :p I'm currently working on the timing. And also, it's my first time working on this kind of project, so I started a bit in freestyle. ^_^'

Click the picture for a YouTube Link:
d21QRL6.jpg

You can check out my website here: www.sirhaian.net
(It's still very humble, considering I only started the video games studies one year ago...)

I hope you liked this first WIP. I'll keep working on this and I'll keep you informed. Tell me what you think about it and what I should correct/modify/delete/add, etc. \o/

Spell 2:

Introducing the second spell... Please tell me your thoughts about it. ^^

Ezreal is all about energy. I love it. But I always thought that a Fiery Ezreal would be really cool! I always loved fire, and my main is Annie, so... Think of it as some kind of Annie x Ezreal mix. :p

3Zqr5wa.jpg
YYodcUn.jpg

For those who don't understand the channeling (and it's perfectly normal XD)... In fact, the first orbs of fire will appear first, followed by the second ones, then third, and so on.

In-game mock-up:
s5WnhqP.jpg

Global .gif:
eyQMsXT.gif

Now, here's the latest video. NEEDS UPDATE !!

Click the picture for a YouTube Link:
tmGT1s4.jpg

Screenshots:

y7qcZUb.jpg

Stay tuned for more~! \^o^/

Replies

• C.K.Shepherd
    This is already a FANTASTIC WIP thread. Well done. I can't wait to see more results!
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    NOTE: EVERYTHING DOWN HERE WILL BE PROGRESS WORK. THUS, OLD WORKS.
    =========================================================================

Thank you! ^_^
    Here's a new WIP of the "Enemy" view.
    Made the rain thiner and made the fade out of the black clouds longer. Also added the main effect on the Electric Discharge, to add more impact.

6YrkFzo.jpg

I will upload a new video soon. Stay tuned. :icon60:
  • Lokii288
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokii288 polycounter lvl 3
    Looking really good. Can't wait to see it done. Have you thought about your second effect yet?
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! :)
    I'm still thinking about the second effect... League of Legends is such a rich game that I can't decide what I could make next. :p
    I'll tell you as soon as I've decided, and it shouldn't be that long. :)

Anyway, here's my today's WIP, a video where you can see the actual effect.

YouTube Link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjwZ2Tp72Dw
    (Updated in the original post)

And also, a new WIP of the Caster view.

6Euh2sK.jpg

Hope you'll like it, and please tell me what I should modify or correct. :)
  • Lokii288
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good man. I'm so mad that its taking me so long to get started on my effects! My only concern is that since parts of your effect are black and the background is so dark you're not getting to see some of the detail. I don't remember the specifics of the rules regarding BG's but can you lighten it up just a bit?
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's what they said about the background: :)

"Spheres and the background should remain un-textured.
    They want your effects to be the highlight of this piece"

Thanks for pointing that out! :D
    Here's a screenshot with a lighter background, and you're right, it looks better in my opinion. :p
    ilBb7kx.jpg
  • Lokii288
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh much better!
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! :)
    I'll start working on the second spell a bit, so that I know where I'm headed. I'll keep working on the first one, but I want to pause it for some time. Then, I'll be able to see the mistakes and correct them. :)

I'll upload new WIPs asap!
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Now introducing the second spell.

Please tell me your thoughts about it. :)

Ezreal is all about energy. I love it. But I always thought that a Fiery Ezreal would be really cool! I always loved fire, and my main is Annie, so... Think of it as some kind of Annie x Ezreal mix. :p

YYodcUn.jpg

For those who don't understand the channeling (and it's perfectly normal XD)... In fact, the first orbs of fire will appear first, followed by the second ones, then third, and so on.

I will update the original post with this new concept. :)

Some very early UE4 screenshots:

Tepstnz.jpg
    Af2188W.jpg
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on the first spell's target:

LSzETCl.jpg

Added more lightning and impact.
  • sgtscience
    Offline / Send Message
    sgtscience polycounter lvl 8
    Really nice stuff and awesome effects! I really like how you show your textures. I'm working on a VFX entry also and am venturing into Ue4 for It, so that is really cool. The electricity map with rgb is a really nice touch. I'd like to know how to do that :P
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! ^_^

For the RGB electricity map, I created a first electric arc in Photoshop, duplicated and modified it in each channel.

CjU8fXA.jpg

Then, in UE4, I use a sine to "randomize" the effect a bit, and I also use it to decide when to take the R or the B channel. Oh well, this is the way I do it, but I'm sure there are plenty of other and better ways to do this. If you know some, please tell me! :3

JGgHbUr.jpg
    (Yeah, it's not very tidy, but it's fiiiiine :D)
  • Khaja
    Looking finnneeeeeeee! no really good. The fiery ezereal though looks too realistic for Riots art style. First one looks ace but again tweaking to fit more with art style would be good. I can't really say how to tweak it to fit with art style as i'm no good with vfx stuff but thouht i'd mention it
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, thank you for your comment! This is the kind of comments I love! :)
    I'll look into that, and I actually already thought about that issue, even though I am not sure how I could resolve it.
    For the fiery Ezreal, I think it won't be "too" hard. :)
    But electricity is hard to render in a cartoony/hand-painted style... I'll have to work on it for a bit. :p
    I'll keep you updated. ^_^
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Adding some references for the cartoony electric style...

E4KZBTe.jpg
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    And here's today's video WIP:

YouTube Link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVAe-cc0DRM

I tried to give a "cartoon-er" feeling to it, and to amplify the impact. Please tell me your thoughts. :)

And also, some WIPs:

Caster:
    QFlkpwl.jpg

Target:
    ZxHtCM7.jpg

Hope you'll like it, and don't hesitate to leave a comment! :)

EDIT: New textures preview:
    sRAz3iv.jpg
  • Flylink
    Ouaw great work man!
  • Lokii288
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the breakdowns, great to see how other people accomplish their work :D
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! ^_^
    I'm trying to clean the animation a bit. Some details look a bit pixelated (especially the "explosion" part). :)
    And I'll keep working on the Ezreal VFX! I'm inspired by that one! *^*

EDIT: Thank you, Lokii! :D
    I thought it might be interesting for some people to know how I am working, and it might be helpful if someone has a better workflow or idea. We could share it, and I'd be able to learn a lot from it. And it's actually my primary objective here. xD
  • Rusty_Gvfx
    You might want to turn the bloom pretty much off. League doesn't have bloom like Unreal. If it has any. Turning that waaaaay down will probably make it look a lot more like league.
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with you. :)
    I'll work on that too. ^_^
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update:
    Thanks to Rusty_Gvfx, it does indeed look a bit more cartoony! :)
    Still needs some tweaking, but it's looking more like what I want. :p

e4A0YrQ.jpg

And now with a .gif preview:
    nZezt7U.gif

Working on the glow removal... x)
  • huynhke
    Offline / Send Message
    huynhke polycounter lvl 6
    Your timing is BEAUTIFUL. I really really love this.
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    This is just my personal preference, but I feel like your channel should be shorter and the release longer. Seems about 3 seconds for charge, and 1 for release. I'm still learning timing in fx, but as a gamer, I'd feel more satisfied if my end was faster and my enemies took more damage. Especially with how fast League plays, the charge should feel fast.

Again, just my un-experienced 2 cents
  • huynhke
    Offline / Send Message
    huynhke polycounter lvl 6
    This is just my personal preference, but I feel like your channel should be shorter and the release longer. Seems about 3 seconds for charge, and 1 for release. I'm still learning timing in fx, but as a gamer, I'd feel more satisfied if my end was faster and my enemies took more damage. Especially with how fast League plays, the charge should feel fast.

Again, just my un-experienced 2 cents

Hey, so I totally understand what you're saying. But I think he's going with the actual in-game skill timing. The ultimate skill for this character actually does have a long charge (it's probably close to 3 seconds) and then there's a huge release burst :)

Here's the reference! (if you're curious) http://youtu.be/jx_i_E8WCfo?t=32s
    It starts at 32 seconds, and he's channeling the red energy.
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! :D
    And yes, I'm going with the actual skill. :3
    It needs to be channeled for three seconds, then there's a brief silence, then the blast. :)
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a very early preview of the Ezreal VFX. Very very early. Just so you get the idea. :)

RarKnPU.gif

For now, there's no timing. The little ignition particles will grow bigger as they charge, and I'll add some kind of small explosion for each when fully charged. I also plan to add some trail on the ground, as if it got burnt by the wave. Still researching about the impact effect.

EDIT:

New GIF, with a bit more timing. Still very early, though. Got to go to school, so I can't continue right now, sadly. xD
    tChI0mR.gif

And I finally found out how to deactivate the Bloom in UE4. *party*
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, derp. Forgot you were going off Karthus' ult >_<

*crawls back under rock*
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah ah don't worry, it's fine! xD
  • Lokii288
    Offline / Send Message
    The continued flashing of your emitter points leads me to believe that they are going to keep firing even though it doesn't. Might be cool actually to have a barrage instead of just a single wave even though I know the one wave is more true to Ezreal. Just something to think about.
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I already worked on that issue one of my friends reported. :)
    I'll upload a new WIP soon. ^^
  • Lokii288
    Offline / Send Message
    lol oop, my bad then :D haha
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Naaah, it's fine! I'm looking forward to critiques and comments, so... Thank you! x3

And here's a new WIP just for you:
    Z6KVW3H.gif

As noted on the gif, it's extremely experimental. Just trying out some stuff, like the fire trail decals. Gotta work a lot on this. *^*
  • Lokii288
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, I like it! The trail is really nice too. Reminds me of Dragon Shyv :D
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Oooh! I agree, didn't think about her, but now that you mention it, it does look like it. xD
  • Lokii288
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you fade out the edges a little more though? Looking at it again I feel like its too perfect of a rectangle shape. The sides look like they were cut off with a knife. Some nice feathering maybe? :D

I have enough time between waiting for playblasts at work to check out everyone's progress but not enough to start my own haha XD
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Awww! xD
    Yeah, I will feather everything, and add some nice particle effects to it. :)
    Right now, I'm working on some kind of glow that would follow the main wave, and add some other effects. Well, I'll add tons of small effects, to give more volume to the scene. ^^
  • Lokii288
    Offline / Send Message
    nice. Lookin forward to it!
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe add some distortion to either follow the particles as they move, or slightly delayed after? Like how there is some distortion at the very end of Lux's Final Spark. If it's hot enough to heat up the ground, it would for sure have some heat coming off the top of it too. Since nothing is textured for our scenes it would have to be intense with a lot of noise to be noticeable though, if you did go that rout
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, it may read better if the fireballs starting at the ends of the initial arc persisted. In your current gif, only the center fireballs grow in intensity, and your furthest ones stay small and fade out. But when the effect releases, the projectile arc has all of its fireballs the same size and intensity. I like the progression from the corners of the arc to the center, but my brain is expecting one large projectile from the very center
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the distortion idea! I'll test it for the next WIP, thank you! :D
    And I agree with you on the fact that there should be one large projectile in the center! Didn't notice that. Thank you again! :3
    I'll work on that and keep you updated! ^_^
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    New WIP. Unfortunately, I can't find out how to create a distortion. I used to make a lot of them back in UDK, but as we're now working with the PBR, I just have no idea how to re-create that type of effect using particles... =/

Anyway, I modified a few things. Enjoy. :)

r449xEV.gif

Someone just told me the smoke at the back shouldn't be there, and they're right. :p
    Gonna work on this. Will keep the effect, but will modify it. ^^
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the smoke and fire behind the sphere, really gives it more weight!
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that "was" my thought too. XD
    But as the explosion comes from the front of the sphere, there should be nothing behind it. :)
    I'll move it on the sides and see how it looks.
  • Lokii288
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree though I love the back blast. Pushed out to the sides around the sphere would look pretty great. With some swirling.... :D I almost wanna make you a slick smoke flipbook in Houdini haha.
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah ah, that would be great! xD
    I'll see what I can achieve with the UE cascade. :3
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    New .GIF:
    zcECRxw.gif

I wish I could make the distortion effect. It was sooo simple in UDK. Why does it look impossible in UE4? xD
  • Lokii288
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin really good :)
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    So, today's final WIP:

qplvU4C.jpg

HYW63bY.jpg

And a video:

YouTube Link:
    eOYhFT0.jpg

Sorry for the bad video quality. I'll make sure the next one will be better. :p
    For now, there's no impact. I'll work on it tomorrow. :)
    I'll now add all of this to the main post. x)
    Stay tuned for more~ ^_^
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Adding some refs...

3Zqr5wa.jpg