• Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Neox wrote: »
    I will ask thomas to answer the question in detail
    Would love to hear from him.
    To me, i would say, i really like and enjoy them. I can understand why some people could get frustrated, but well, you can't target everyone. If you target the casual guys, you will lose your initial target group, the players who enjoy Metroidvania games. It was a tight balance, and to me, i would not have minded to keep the game as hardcore as it was originally designed. It started much tougher and was overall way more challenging.
    But i enjoyed Super Meat Boy especially the hardcore rooms, A LOT. So to get a wider audiance and make the pick up of the game easier it got balanced and streamlined.

I'm with you on this and I can understand that it would be hard to find a balance were the people that love metroidvanias and the "casual" players would both enjoy everything. But I think that Ori finds a good balance between them, it's not too hard that the casuals will be drawn away while still being hard enough that it gives a challenge to those who're good at platformers/metroidvanias. I wouldn't have minded if the difficulty was cranked up to 11, but I understand that the game had to actually sell.
    For example,
    the room before you get to the spirit tree, those fire shooting plants on the Donkey Kong homage part and the ones right before the door to the Spirit Tree have been easily 2-3 times as fast. I loved it, was challenging but rewarding. But it showed new players in the tests struggled a lot.

Would've loved it if the speed was kept as they were a little bit to easy. Especially once you get past the part you mentioned where it looks like you're supposed to wall jump between the walls to avoid taking damage but due to the shoots being so slow theres no need for it.
    Another example, a lot of the platforms in the game have been much much smaller in the beginning,
    the ones the lever triggers right next to you getting the charge flame, have been so much more challenging to master, for being smaller and half as wide
    this goes on through almost the entire game.
    That would've been better as now it's not really until Mount Horu that the platforming really becomes a challenge (disregarding the chase sequences). I would also have loved to see those swinging platforms in the starting area to have a comeback as you could've probably done something cool with those.
    And people who played through it will recognize, that the second runthrough is much much easier. personally i hope for the newgame+ to be more challenging, closer to the original design. But it's totally not up to me to decide this. And many people might disagree here.
    Newgame+? I'm all for that, and yes when I first beat the game I checked what achievements were left and notice the no deaths one and thought for myself, theres no way I'm gonna be able to do that. But then I played it again and the game was so much easier this time. Mostly because I had "mastered" the movement by that time.
    Airborn, hummm airborn. Lets say we have a codebase with most needed abilities and animations are in the work. Right now there is absolutely no work on the art being done. We will experiment and test and if it is fun once the animations are there, we will go further, try to get partners. But as usual, it is not ready. But i would love to work on it. Without a budget this is a bit tough tho ;)
    Well I can't wait to hear more about it. :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    thats exactly the balance i am talking about, you think it was too easy a loooooooooot of people think it is way too hard as itis right now. in my oppinion they found a great balance to target a wider audience. Yet still there are people complaining that the game is targeted against 99% of the players, only one out of a 1000 plays through it (looking at the amount of played through games, please let this be true, this would mean millions of players xD) and is only made for the best out of a small elite
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    So the Definitive Edition just got released on Steam and Windows 10

http://store.steampowered.com/app/387290/

looking forward to check it out myself as besides of 2 characters I have not been involved in the production so I have no idea whats new

I just know, new areas, new abilities, more story and 2 new characters :P 
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone out there with a VR HMD, a VIVE or RIFT,  playing this game via Virtual Desktop on a ginormous wrap around screen is  fucking magical, it brings a whole new visual depth to the game..really fun replay if you only experienced it with a regular monitor
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Neox said:
    So the Definitive Edition just got released on Steam and Windows 10

http://store.steampowered.com/app/387290/

looking forward to check it out myself as besides of 2 characters I have not been involved in the production so I have no idea whats new

I just know, new areas, new abilities, more story and 2 new characters :P 
    Here we go...

*reaches for the wallet*
    low odor said:
    Anyone out there with a VR HMD, a VIVE or RIFT,  playing this game via Virtual Desktop on a ginormous wrap around screen is  fucking magical, it brings a whole new visual depth to the game..really fun replay if you only experienced it with a regular monitor
    And again...

*reaches for the butter knife so I can cut out a kidney to sell...*