Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] My art of Eastshade

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Orchidface polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone,

I'm a long time lurker on these forums, and an environment artist. I quit my job to attempt a game that truly capitalizes on its environments. I'm using Unity for its ease of use in the programming department. Here are my initial screenshots:

BannerVanity.jpg
Eastshade-watchtower2.jpg
Eastshade-river2.jpg
Eastshade-open2.jpg

If you find this interesting you can find out more at eastshade.com

Thanks for checking it out,
Danny

Replies

• LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Beautiful work dude. I love games that focus on exploration.

Especially when the world looks this good!

All the best :)
  • Cocophony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cocophony polycounter lvl 8
    This is exactly what I like looking at! Beautiful mate. Goodluck with the endeavour and I hope it all pans out for you.

Subscribbled.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's something about the pink trees that just isn't working for me. I don't know if it's the lack of a taper for the front, the domination of the darker areas in the closer trees, or something else, but they just don't rise to the quality of your other trees.

In that same third image, the light is very strong - noon on a summer day - but the shadows indicate a late afternoon or early morning.

The railings feel very regular - every post is perfectly vertical, and they are all spaced at a precise distance. Obviously you'll want to use modular assets, but adding two horizontal beams, one slightly shorter and one slightly longer, and allowing some posts to lean (slightly) to the side will break up the regular pattern and make the scene feel more authentic.
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    DWalker wrote: »
    There's something about the pink trees that just isn't working for me. I don't know if it's the lack of a taper for the front, the domination of the darker areas in the closer trees, or something else, but they just don't rise to the quality of your other trees.

In that same third image, the light is very strong - noon on a summer day - but the shadows indicate a late afternoon or early morning.

The railings feel very regular - every post is perfectly vertical, and they are all spaced at a precise distance. Obviously you'll want to use modular assets, but adding two horizontal beams, one slightly shorter and one slightly longer, and allowing some posts to lean (slightly) to the side will break up the regular pattern and make the scene feel more authentic.

About the pink trees..
    I think that might be the billboard distance... (where trees become a sprite)... whereas the foremost trees are still meshes.
    You can change that distance somewhere in the settings.. I just don't remember right now.
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful work dude. I love games that focus on exploration.

Especially when the world looks this good!

All the best :)

I wish there were more games that actually focused on exploration! Thanks for the kind words.
    Cocophony wrote: »
    This is exactly what I like looking at! Beautiful mate. Goodluck with the endeavour and I hope it all pans out for you.

Subscribbled.

Thanks! If it all goes belly up (I'd prefer it didn't) I'll have no regrets. I'm learning so much right now.
    Cay wrote: »
    About the pink trees..
    I think that might be the billboard distance... (where trees become a sprite)... whereas the foremost trees are still meshes.
    You can change that distance somewhere in the settings.. I just don't remember right now.

I'm not using the unity terrain engine. The trees are their own gameobjects and I'm using my own clustering/combining system, but we are indeed seeing far lods. The way I have the streaming for the world set up, at this distance that area wouldn't even be in memory, and only the most distant lods (imposters) would be engaged.
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    Beautiful scene. Have u made a custom shader for vegetation ?

And why you have stars in sky in the morning ?!!! :D
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful scene. Have u made a custom shader for vegetation ?

And why you have stars in sky in the morning ?!!! :D

Thanks ehsan gamer! I'm using advanced foliage shader from the unity asset store. You guys are such earthlings! There is a moon in the sky that is massive, large enough for an atmosphere! We're not on earth. The atmosphere is different, the neighboring galaxies are brighter, axial tilt is zero, and we are tidally locked with the moon because its nearly as massive as us. As far as the midday sun being low in the sky, this happens on earth too at longitudes far from the ecliptic plane.
  • futurepoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work!! I'm excited to see where this goes.
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    subbed! Looks very cool.
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, that is very impressive. Looks fantastic and very inspirational!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Very cool man! I think that second image the lighting is a bit weak and doesn't really match the skybox. The other scenes are a lot stronger pieces. I especially like the first one. :)
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    This is insane :) Good work!
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys! I'm building a night/day cycle and dynamic weather at the moment, and I'm hoping to have an update soon with a video showing that stuff off.
  • Spiffy664
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy664 polycounter lvl 6
    right now I would say your lighting looks conflicted. Green is that color that is both warm and cool all at the same time. I would suggest moving your pallete warmer during the day (more orange) and cooler during the night (purps and blues) - this will both push your fantasy feel and help you get away from some of those complaints on lighting / mid day sun (I honestly thought it felt more like early twilight / an hour before "magic hour"
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Looks incredible.
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nightfall2.jpg

Thanks guys! This is a bit of a cross post from my unity thread, but I want to have a pulse here on polycount too. I've been working on my Night Day cycle. Its a system that you just choose what values you want to track in the scene, then make presets for each time of day, and it will lerp through them all. You can track anything. It can be linked to properties of any shader as well (for instance its controlling the tint of the water reflections), as long as the property is a float, vector3, or a color.

I'm planning on making a video soon of it in action, but I want to art out a new biome first. I don't wish to keep posting shots from this same little area. Hopefully I'll have more to show soon.
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike8917 polycounter lvl 10
    Looks superb mate! Love it :)
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Wow this looks beautiful! Please share more! :)
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Fantastic. I just keep expecting to get ambushed by orcs...
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An Update! Endless grassy fields are basically cheating because they seem almost impossible to screw up and they're always wonderful! But I'm designating this biome as the one endless grassy area, so I've now I've used my get out of jail free card . And damn, giant cliffs are hard. I'm very unsatisfied with the ones I've done. But I fear I have too many other things to worry about before having another go at them.
    Camp.jpg
    Tent-on-the-Edge.jpg

On a more programmy note, I've been working on my inventory back end and menu.GUI2.jpg
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    This is so pretty, I love it :D
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    This looks amazing. Good luck!
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth wrote: »
    This is so pretty, I love it :D
    komaokc wrote: »
    This looks amazing. Good luck!

I appreciate this guys.
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    This is insane ! Totally what I like to look at :)
    Got a place in my refrence folder right away !

Just looked at your website and found this :
    Eastshade is an interactive experience that is primarily concerned with being a world worth exploring for the sake of exploring.
    My god this is exactly the kind projects I would like to work on, I hope to see more soon :)

Performance wise, how are you dealing with drawcalls and instances with such a huge amount of foliage ? Let's take the trees, I believe one tree is one object right ? Even when the tree is far far away, it will be replaced by a plane or a billboard. But it still one single object I guess ?
    Is it possible to make 10 trees becoming one "forest billboard" at a distance without noticable artifacts during transitions ?

Kind of thinking out loud, but anyway I'd like to have some info about the way you deal with all of this :)
    Anyway keep up that work, I will follow this thread closely !
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe wrote: »
    Performance wise, how are you dealing with drawcalls and instances with such a huge amount of foliage ? Let's take the trees, I believe one tree is one object right ? Even when the tree is far far away, it will be replaced by a plane or a billboard. But it still one single object I guess ?
    Is it possible to make 10 trees becoming one "forest billboard" at a distance without noticable artifacts during transitions ?

It really pumps me up to hear that people are seeking a game like this. I could talk your ear off about foliage and draw call consolidation. I plan on doing a dedicated blog post with a video that goes into technical detail on how I'm doing just that, but in the mean time here is a summary I gave to someone else who asked me the same question:

My trick is I'm using a single texture 2048x2048 sheet and a single shader for all the vegetation. Literally every flower, shrub, tree, grass, color variants and all use the same shader. The other part is I wrote a system that combines every vegetation mesh into clusters and makes a single mesh out of each cluster. Since everything is the same shader, I end up with very few draw calls. It combines a new mesh for each lod level (all the vegetation objects have lods), so each cluster lods together. Even the textures for the lods are baked onto the same texture sheet the lod 0 is using. This allows my to leave certain alpha cards that are important to the silhouette in the farther lods without adding draw calls.
    The downside to this is that it uses a ton of memory, since there is absolutely no mesh instancing going on (every cluster essentially becomes a unique mesh). I deal with this a little by being super stingy with texture memory (give me triangle over pixels any day!), but the more important part is the streaming system. I divide my world into a big grid of scenes that load in asynchronously, and I wrote tools to manage and work with all these scenes.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'm absolutely in love with this. So well done, even the design. And that name!

Keep up the good work. I really look forward to seeing more.
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    I see, it's about the same way that UDK's (and, I guess, UE4's) foliage system behaves. Except that, as far as I know, it only merges the same kind of mesh (for instance, Pine3) into clusters. This allows to use more than one texture/shader for all the vegetation. However, you have less control on the LOD system. If a cluster consits of 5 pines, it will load the LOD's for each pine at the same time, but I don't think you could make an LOD (let say a billboard with a few trees) replacing the five trees, you'll end up with 5 billboards.

From my experience with UE3, increasing the number of instances in one cluster reduce the number of drawcalls (because it allocates more instances in one cluster thus creating less clusters in total), but increase the occlusion system processing time (don't really know why though).
    I didn't experienced any issue with memory.

But I only played with what UE3 gave me, I don't have the required knowledge to make such a system by myself. So I'm far away from understanding it completely.
    And streaming level is something I definitely need to bury myself in.

I plan on doing a dedicated blog post with a video that goes into technical detail on how I'm doing just that

Oh man this would be like the most valuable post ever :)
    And some more explanation about your day/night cycle and foliage lighting system would just fill me with hapiness !
  • Roxxor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxxor polycounter lvl 9
    This is very exciting. The environments are beautiful, and I love the UI too. Looking forward to where this goes.
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

I just did a blog post on my site where I summarize all the tools I'm using to make Eastshade. I'd imagine a post like this is only interesting to fellow game devs and 3d artists, so I'm cross posting a shortened version of that here. I'm sure for the 3d tools there's nothing you guys don't already know about, but I do have a couple less known ones in there.

Unity

tools-of-the-shade-1-1024x576.jpg

UFPS - For me, the only price I paid for this asset was the time I spent learning how its insides work well enough for me to implement my own gameplay on top of it. Though I still get the feeling I’m not using it totally as intended, its player controller and input system are the backbone of the player controls in Eastshade.

Shader Forge - I actually would have had a really tough time building the look of the world without this extension. Every shader bar the foliage was built with Shader Forge. I wouldn’t have the chops to write something like a Y projection for moss and snow, or my own implementation of a global cubemap managing system had it not been for the simple node based workflow this asset provides.tools-of-the-shade-2-1024x576.jpg

Advanced Foliage Shader - The screen real estate that foliage takes up is considerable, and AFS, in addition to allowing my vegetables to flutter gracefully in the wind, looks beautiful.

DevConsole - A simple but important thing to have, I think, is a way to call certain functions from inside your game for debugging purposes. DevConsole makes it easy to define new console commands, even ones that accept arguments.

FogVolume - For all those foggy, foggy times. Inscattering is has a big visual impact on long site lines (which you should have a tone of!).

SplineBend - I use this for all my roads and paths. I love how simple and open ended this asset is. I prefer it to EasyRoads for sure. Thought I still use EasyRoads sometimes, not for building roads, but to shape my terrain oddly enough.

Shadow Softener - Soft shadows are nice, but nicer is the 10 fps I reclaimed when I started using this asset. Perhaps Unity 5 will negate the need for this asset, but currently soft shadows is essential for performance alone.

Every prefab placement painting tool on the store - I’m pretty sure I have them all now, but I’m skeptical to endorse any of them because none of them quite satisfy me. I’m half tempted to write my own at this point.

Honorable Mentions - I was using skyshop until recently, when I opted to use all my own shaders write my own cubemap controller. There were two reasons for this: The first is that Skyshop’s cubemap blending was more than I needed, as I found I only needed to tint my cubemap during weather changes, rather than switch to a new one. Lerping between cubemaps is pretty expensive, and I really didn’t like the implementation of how you just chose a blend duration and fired it off. I wanted my own night/day controller to drive the change. The second reason is that I found I never needed a full RGBA for spec and gloss (the skyshop shaders don’t allow you to pack the spec into an alpha channel). My last honorable mention would be Daikon Forge, which is a great GUI library, but turned out to be a massive mistake since the guy who made it just stopped supporting it. I made the call to switch to the new uGUI before moving forward with any more GUI stuff. I’ve been using the 4.6 beta and have yet to hit any showstopping bugs.

Git and SourceTree - This doesn’t belong in the Unity section but I’ve no other place for it. SourceTree is a wonderful GUI front end for the almighty GIT. It makes working with version control a lot easier for someone like me, who doesn’t wish to dabble in a command line console to submit and revert files. You may be wondering, “But aren’t you one person? Why do you need version control?” If your spending a lot of time on something its wise to be making iterative backups as you go, and as long as your making iterative backups you may as well be using an application to manage them. Version control is designed for that. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve needed to look into previous revisions after realizing I’ve messed something up.

Content Creation

tools-of-the-shade-0-1024x554.jpg

Blender - I first learned the ropes of 3d with 3ds Max, and then spent my professional career as an environment artist so far using Maya, but despite having sunk so many hours into these other industry standard tools, I prefer Blender over them. I wrote a special exporter to make getting my stuff into Unity as easy and fast as possible.

Photoshop CC - I was using Gimp to save some money, but since Adobe did the 10 bucks a month thing I switched back to the tried and true. After using Gimp extensively, I can honestly say it has a long way to go before comparing to PS. All you have to do is try adjusting the levels of a 2048 and watch Gimp slowly loop through all the pixels line by line each time you nudge a slider to be convinced.

Unorthodox Game Dev Tools - If you’re a game artist and haven’t heard of this Photoshop plugin you should definitely check it out. Its the sweetest texture export plugin I’ve ever used, and its author is a nice guy, very responsive, and helpful.

3d Coat - Aside from being an excellent sculpting package, I love being able to drop a totally garbagy mesh (perhaps from a photo scan) in there and convert it to voxels, then convert it back to polygons and decimate it. I also use it for unwrapping organic things like rocks and tree trunks. Its got the best seam making tools I’ve ever used.

Lost of other things - I use quite a few other little programs for content creation often for very specific tasks. Among them are CrazyBump for texture creation, PhotoSculpt which can derive a height map comparing two photos of slightly different angles, and automagically tile textures with normal map and all, and fairly obscure (and free) MeshLab for its incredible UV-preserving mesh decimation features.
  • DavidBrumbley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidBrumbley polycounter lvl 8
    lookin good cuz
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Really awesome work so far, great job!
  • kobra_1001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kobra_1001 polycounter lvl 2
    That's really good, man!
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys! I appreciate your checking it out.
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    This is really cool, love the concept of this project. I am teaching myself a bunch of these specific skills at the moment, so any future blog posts are much appreciated!
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been a while but I'm still working on this game every day! I've been non polycountish things (systems, sound, gameplay, etc) so, by way of art, I've only this one screenshot:
    Midday-Eclipse.jpg

There's more about the state of the game in the blog post if anyone's interested. I also made this dev lapse:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHp97f1yl00[/ame]
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Aaaaand I'd buy it. Awesome work!
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 wrote: »
    Aaaaand I'd buy it. Awesome work!

Aaaaand I love you.
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Amazing!

Keep at it, looks great.

That poor wacom tablet, used as a place-mat.
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    HA! the soup part made my day, your an inspiration, keep it up.
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper wrote: »
    Amazing!

Keep at it, looks great.

That poor wacom tablet, used as a place-mat.

Hah! I do put a coaster under the bowl, but yeah, prolly should move that out of the way :).
  • Flight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flight polycounter lvl 10
    Very cool, following this with interest, sounds very much like my kind of game.
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A new screenshot:
    inn2-1024x513.jpg

Additionally, in an altogether unfocused effort to share my development progress, I present… Dev Lapse 2! Its a narrated time lapse of making a building.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9kYk3KdtTI[/ame]
  • Vugtje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vugtje null
    awesome dude, thanks
  • BramScrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BramScrum polycounter lvl 5
    YOU are an insperation! I really love the art style and I am happy that I am not the only one who prefers blender over maya or max. Good job! Subbed.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    you are a fucking animal!! GREAT !
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    I'd love to see a "timelapse" of lighting :P. How you go around to create that!
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StraightDraw84 polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome stuff here, can you do some breakdown on your vegetation please?

I'd love to see how you did it.

Thanks
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words guys!
    wirrexx wrote: »
    I'd love to see a "timelapse" of lighting :P. How you go around to create that!
    In my case the lighting is a culmination of tech, shaders, vertex AO/painting, and value tuning in a ton of different places. Working within my lighting model is very much an ongoing process throughout development.

Awesome stuff here, can you do some breakdown on your vegetation please?

I'd love to see how you did it.

Thanks

I do a bit of a description in this thread, from a performance angle in any case:
    Orchidface wrote: »
    My trick is I'm using a single texture 2048x2048 sheet and a single shader for all the vegetation. Literally every flower, shrub, tree, grass, color variants and all use the same shader. The other part is I wrote a system that combines every vegetation mesh into clusters and makes a single mesh out of each cluster. Since everything is the same shader, I end up with very few draw calls. It combines a new mesh for each lod level (all the vegetation objects have lods), so each cluster lods together. Even the textures for the lods are baked onto the same texture sheet the lod 0 is using. This allows my to leave certain alpha cards that are important to the silhouette in the farther lods without adding draw calls.
    The downside to this is that it uses a ton of memory, since there is absolutely no mesh instancing going on (every cluster essentially becomes a unique mesh). I deal with this a little by being super stingy with texture memory (give me triangle over pixels any day!), but the more important part is the streaming system. I divide my world into a big grid of scenes that load in asynchronously, and I wrote tools to manage and work with all these scenes.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    I need this game. Loving the updates and breakdowns, keep at it! Subscribed.
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Despite my monk-like silence things have not slowed down over here! I have a long over due blog update and two new screenies which I'll post here:

Town_Hall.jpg

Inn2.jpg