Home General Discussion

Giving feedback when it isn't asked for

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Makkon polycounter
So I just had someone on another site blow up on me when I tried to give them some constructive criticism. I'm still a little shaken up about it. Their reasoning was that they didn't ask me for feedback, and that they have trusted artists and books that they consult when they are looking to improve. They went on to say that I am a stranger and my feedback isn't welcome because I'm not a professional (I technically am, started a new job last month. Just not a veteran).

For the seasoned pros here, you know your stuff. Do you get miffed when someone who you consider to be on a lower artistic-level gives constructive criticism or points out something that is amiss? If you do, why? If not, why not?

I'm just trying to understand this. It's possible that it was a cultural difference. I'm always very straight forward and open about things, and typically I expect that from other people. I don't like beating around the bush or putting people through a gauntlet before I consider their feedback worthy of my consideration. Some people are very shy and don't like to give out feedback to other artists, especially when it isn't explicitly asked for.

Is it rude to give feedback to an artist that isn't asking for it? Is it rude not to, especially when you feel that you can help and they seem to be struggling? Am I being pretentious or egotistical in thinking that my advice is something that they want or need? Perhaps the feedback I'm giving comes off as harsh or insulting?

I just want to hear some thoughts on this, maybe it'll calm my nerves as I understand it more.

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As an artist you should be willing to both give and receive feedback. It is helps you improve by seeing others mistakes and them seeing yours. Everyone is too close to their art and can be defensive. Though being able to improve it by letting someone tell you is a gift. If they aren't willing to take feedback dont let it bother you
    You still improved by noticing things about their art when they didn't. Frankly being rude about someone's feedback you don't agree with(which you don't always have to listen to critiques!) Is just a sign of being an arse
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    was it deviantart? that place is full of butt-hurts. even worse than kansas.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    I once met a lead artist from a fairly recognizable studio.

Overall he seemed like a cool friendly guy.
    But when I pointed out something minor in his work that wasn't right (in my opinion at least) he got butthurt as fuck.
    Started saying sarcastic stuff like "let's see you do it better, I'm sure you'll do a great job", and wouldn't let it go for 20 minutes.
    I didn't mean to diss his work at all but he took it so personally.

I stood there completely dumbfounded since until that time all the veterans I would meet were really humble and open minded, always willing to improve.
    Well, turns out it's not always the case.

So I guess that from now on I'll avoid giving unwanted feedback to veterans unless I know that they can handle it.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I've seen a few people get annoyed about it. It's pretty lame, if you don't want to take the crit on board then you don't have to, but don't be a bitch about it.

If people are taking the time to offer advice then appreciate it, there's tons of other artists that would welcome that critique.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    I don't understand why anyone would post their work, without the insistence on critique; I mean what exactly are they after - an ego boost?

I appreciate anyone who comes by my threads and posts critique, even if its absolutely tearing my work apart; I am able to spot flaws others can see but I myself cannot after staring at it for hours on end...

Don't get put off just because of one dick.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    from my experience, its usually better to avoid giving feedback to veterans that have more experience, even though you are right. Some might think that you are trying to boast yourself by making them look bad. I usually only give feedback online. When in person, I only give critiques to people that I know well. Its hard to tell if the artist can take constructive feedback, so I avoid it most of the time.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    I don't understand why anyone would post their work, without the insistence on critique; I mean what exactly are they after - an ego boost?

Well ... potentially, yeah. I've personally met a couple of very experienced artists at extremely well-regarded studios who do/have done exactly that. Just avoid them.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Makkon wrote: »
    I just want to hear some thoughts on this

I wish art forums would innovate and add icons under avatar image that would indicate:

-age group
    - if they have a mental disability
    - if they're open to unsolcited art crits
    - mood indicators: "drunk" "high" "psychotic"
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Are you only asking the seasoned pros now? :p

I'll chime in anyway. It depends on a number of things for me:

- I do want whoever gives me crits to have some knowledge of what they're talking about. A lot of gamers with zero knowledge about game development and the difficulties that come with it often says “how hard can it be”, “add that, it shouldn’t take long”, etc. Same thing applies to art creation, if it’s an outrageous crit stemming from lack of knowledge on the subject, I’m less likely to take the crit seriously. Any feedback on this website is pretty much awesome, there are people here with similar interests but varying skills, that doesn't matter all that much to me. Most people hare are knowledgeable and have useful things to say most of the time.

- How they say things/deliver the crit matters to me as well. I don’t really care for people who are full of themselves. Example: “This might make it better/if you try this” compared to: “This is going to make it a lot better, do it”. Don’t act like you know better, plain and simple.

- What is my personal vision for the art? In the end it's your work (assuming it's not in a studio). Say I'm making a car. I want it to look completely new, right out of the factory. The most professional car modeler/texturer in the world comes along and says it would probably look better with rust in some places. I would appreciate him taking the time and I would take his crits seriously, but his ideas simply won’t fit the vision I have for the project.

That said, this is how I process criticism internally. I would never blow up on someone for their opinion. If it’s really crappy crits I tend to just ignore it.
  • Pegbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pegbird polycounter lvl 5
    It depends what kind of "art" it was. If it is commercial art ie. video game art / graphic design etc. then crits should just be part of the process. These industries succeed and fail on the opinion's of others by their very nature.

If it is some guy / girl doing art for the love of art, in their own time, then I wouldn't say anything they didn't ask for unless it was positive.

Also it's not always what you say, but HOW you say it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like a fan forum to me. I've seen people blow up when getting critiqued on the SOE Playerstudio forums all the time. Prior to Planetside 2 attracting talented artists, it was mostly full of super hard core fans and a few of them knew how to use a 3d app.

They didn't take well to critiquing! The funny thing is, the Planetside 2 art director is very active on the forums and players get butt-hurt at him, calling out his credentials.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Seems really foolish to me to dismiss out of hand anybody's opinion. No matter if they are technically worse, better or inbetween.

And those that get snarky over critiques, just consign them to the arrogant prick bin. Don't fret over it.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    eld wrote: »
    their loss.

indeed

Honest critiques by talented artists are worth their weight in gold.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    If it's posted on an art forum, it's fair game for critiques. Not rude at all.

If it's a forum for something unrelated to art and someone posts a piece of art, I wouldn't bother commenting.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If they can't handle some constructive feedback they aren't worth your time worrying about (assuming you didn't just say dude shit sux).

I made a comment on a cghub post once saying more or less that while I really liked the piece the presentation was hurting it due to poor lighting and big detail differences re: armor vs flesh, etc. And then an honest question about texel-ratio for one of the props that wasn't even close to the character. The (maybe-not-well-known but extremely popular franchise) artist had my post removed. I can only assume that's because all the others were overly positive.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    If you're posting your work on any online outlet that allows comments/response posts/what have you and you flip shit on someone who critiques, you're a dumbshit. That's Internet 101 - you post stuff online, you open the door.

That being said, there is some truth to what the he (might not be a he but I'll call them a he) said - you are a stranger. You do not know him, his goals, what he is already aware of, etc. And there are many times when I think if people stuck to artists they know personally (or at least can talk to on a more personal 1:1 level) and other references for study, that they would improve far faster than getting hung up listening to random people online. Even if someone stops and gives you critique - do they often care to elaborate? If OP reached out more personally, would they give them the time to explain in more detail, or do a paintover to illustrate their point? Sometimes, perhaps, but many times it's a stranger passing through, pointing a finger, and then walking away.

If he wanted only to stick to feedback from friends, he should have not posted and shown it to his friends instead. I do understand not necessarily looking for critique from people online - esepcially certain online communities, or during certain stages of work. But if that's the case, you don't open the door.

As others have said, if it's a fan forum, fan-art, that sort of thing - not something generally art related, then it's usually people posting to get ass pats from friends. Folks who exist in their closed off little circles where they can be great at drawing and nobody will tell them otherwise. If it was one such place, I still don't think you did anything wrong, but it's something to keep in mind.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Pegbird wrote: »
    It depends what kind of "art" it was. If it is commercial art ie. video game art / graphic design etc. then crits should just be part of the process. These industries succeed and fail on the opinion's of others by their very nature.

If it is some guy / girl doing art for the love of art, in their own time, then I wouldn't say anything they didn't ask for unless it was positive.

Also it's not always what you say, but HOW you say it.

I want to stress this is super important. I recently had a fine art artist tell me that my (honestly, I swear, very gentle) advice on their work was actually really disheartening and discouraging. You might call it an attitude problem or stubbornness, But after we talked about it, things seemed very simple. They where unconfident trying something new, I pointed out a bunch of failings without saying much nice. And it really affected them, obviously. But this thing that made total sense in the real world and we moved past quickly, is much harder to pinpoint online.

As pegbird said, you post in a professional environment, or you ask for critique, then get ready for it. In a more casual environment, or a traditional art environment, I think you do have to double check that this person is looking for critique.

TL;DR: Polycount taught me how to crit darn good, but maybe it's not always needed.
    Seems really foolish to me to dismiss out of hand anybody's opinion. No matter if they are technically worse, better or inbetween.

And those that get snarky over critiques, just consign them to the arrogant prick bin. Don't fret over it.
    Also this, at the end of the day.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I made a comment on a cghub post once saying more or less that while I really liked the piece the presentation was hurting it due to poor lighting and big detail differences re: armor vs flesh, etc. And then an honest question about texel-ratio for one of the props that wasn't even close to the character. The (maybe-not-well-known but extremely popular franchise) artist had my post removed. I can only assume that's because all the others were overly positive.

Probably because CG-hub serves as a sort of second portfolio to some artists - and why have a poor product review on your website? Can't say I agree with them, but it's not terrible thinking, just pragmatic.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Depends....if you post stuff on the internet, its fair game imo......if im at work I dont crit peoples stuff unless they ask for it. Thats a leads job, and it can be annoying to endlessly be picking things apart when everyones just trying to get a job done.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Good insight, guys. Thanks. :)

I guess the rule of thumb is to not give feedback to total strangers unless they ask for it, and if you know them and want to help out then there's no harm in giving some constructive criticism.

I don't feel like my feedback was harsh, but it may have been. They deleted the comment so I won't ever know. But it's possible that I didn't give them the old compliment sandwich and I may have stepped on their foot as a result.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    What site was this?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    greetings and salutations;

welcome to the internet. Bare in mind that you are about to enter the world of butt hurts, your critiques are not welcome to many here.

with that in mind, I would suggest you all to start critiquing pnp more often because all I see there is you are cherishing the threads that are filled with great art killing the threads of the ones who actually require the critiques. I am a butt hurt in this matter.

if it makes you feel any better, good critiques can come from anywhere. Don't let it stress you because like others stated, its their loss.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Don't take it to heart, too much. You're a good person for trying to help them.

That being said, I generally don't bother giving advice to anyone who isn't seeking it.
    If they aren't asking for it, usually they're not receptive in taking it. All your thoughts and helpful critiques are wasted on them because they will never follow through with it.

You'll be just wasting time on them, whereas you could be helping someone who has far more potential, a willingness to learn, and has shown that they can take critiques and implement them into their W.I.Ps .

TlDr; Don't waste your time trying to help everyone. Help only those who take critiques and follow through with them.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Well, some people get butthurt, if they can't handle it it's their loss really. It's just an opinion from your side, personal or professional. No need to take it all personally, I usually go for the critique sandwhich which is usually

1.Positive thing
    2.Negative thing
    3.Positive thing

However, I wouldn't read too much into it either, you were only offering help. You notice really quickly if they'll get butthurt by how they tackle other peoples comments. I usually use that as a measuring stick if it's worth my time or not.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I wouldn't let it stop you helping peeps, that person just wasn't ready to grow yet.
    I love getting critiques, even if they absolutely destroy my work, because it means they cared enough about it to put in the effort to give that critique.
    In that way replies like "that's awesome." isn't really that valuable :P
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    i stopped giving general feedback for a while now because in 99% of the cases it falls on deaf ears. i only give feedback if the artist personally requests it. other wise if i see good art i will just post "that's awesome" because that helps too to complement someone for hard work.
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Some people handle any critique badly. Probably they think people are trying to insult them or something. It is more of a personal issue, so you should approach it with understanding. In this particular situation you have probably touched their very sensitive subject they build their ego around.

Also I think these kind of people are just immature. If a person gives me feedback, even if he or she somewhat lower on artistic level than me, even if it was not useful - I would thank the person, because I deeply thankful that they have taken their time to look at my art, think about it and write a feedback.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, I've had lots of pros at studios get super butt-hurt over crits, asked for or not.
    Lets just say the real world isn't like Polycount. People dont expect honesty, they're looking for praise 9/10 times.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I have found myself on the wrong end of a few pissed off artists up to now. To me, someone spending time on a crit is like the biggest compliment that I could receive. Someone trying to help me get better at what I do, or open my eyes to a new technique/better workflow is appreciated very much.

However, because of the way that I am, I used to assume that most people were the same and often threw out unsolicited crit. To the people on the receiving end I probably came across like an arse. Nowadays I only do it when I see great work that I know the artist is skilled enough to push further, and if I know them a little.

I have seen this whole vibe that the Op describes from a few concept artists I followed on Facebook recently, via memes and such. The best course of action was unfollow....walk away. I know that the attitude of the artist shouldn't really affect your appreciation of their work, but if someone is an arse I cant be bothered to look at their work anymore.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    An artist's level of confidence in his/her abilities will be easily read through the response they give from feedback on their work.

It is perfectly fine to not agree wholeheartedly with every piece of criticism on an artpiece, but it is how you handle that which is telling of how secure you are in your work.

I dont care what level of seniority an artist has, if they take time out of their day to focus on your work you should have the common decency to at the very least take their words into consideration and not be a chump about it.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Criticism is the best thing an artist can receive (well, other than money).

When I posted my portfolio here for the first time, I was expecting to scrap all my art pieces but I was surprised I only had to remove or 2 or 3 things and some art I was told specifically to keep (which made me happy).

Criticism builds confidence to say. It means you're not perfect, which is the only way to get close to perfection.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    No, I dont think it's rude at all. If anything, they should be thankful that you took the time to critique/give them feedback. Giving good and concise feedback/crits takes up a lot of someones personal time...aint' nobody got time for daT! If it's someone just trolling along, "dude, what's up with his five-head...his eyebrows look like a caterpillars fell asleep on his face," then that is totally different.

Seriously, I wouldnt sweat it at all. It really is their loss, and not yours.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Some people want it others don't really even when asked for it.
    If it was a top name not that i am defending them but maybe their day wasn't a good one and you caught them in a bad mood.
    I did not read all of this..thread no time.

Otherwise no matter the level i'd always pick something and who cares if they get butt-hurt maybe inside of themselves they are really saying your right and kicking themselves in their own butt for not seeing it first cause they want to be Mr.perfect.

When you come across those people i just think to myself yea your good but guess what there is someone better somewhere, enjoy you little world.
    (Is that dick-ish idk but guess what it's true, lol - knock'em off their pedestals, sry let me put you back on your pony.)

But i guess if you fear the burning bridges scenario i guess not drawing attention to yourself unless asked would be your best bet also, double check them and say you sure you want me to critique you because I've met some people that didn't like what i said so if you can't handle my heat... :) you should know the rest.

Let me add then again, you have people criticizing your work in the hopes to sabotage so yea, you got to deal with that and perhaps he/she thought that about your comments?

Maybe you should share your pm / message?
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    their loss indeed but it gets artists to a point unfortunately where they don`t even bother to give feedback anymore.
    These days i only give feedback to people asking for it (if i`m not too busy and feel knowledgeable on the subject that is)

I`ve had a guy i knew in college get really angry once when i pointed out some flaws in his work in a fairly kind way and i really didn`t see where such a strong reaction was coming from.

critique even bad one can be filtered to maybe something useable (unless its a cheap accusation of your work having a political agenda thats not there)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    It kinda depends to me. I usually avoid giving crits to the veterans, or those seem like veterans. Unless it's about some artistic aspect, which I would state that it's my opinion based on my artistic skill, not a fact.

But personally, for now anyway, I want all critics I can get. The harder feedback, usually the better one it is.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    whilst i personally love getting crit for my work (most of us do), when I give it i can occasionally rub people the wrong way. this is usually because i tend to bullet point a list instead of trying to make a paragraph flow. that's said if i bother to crit it usually means the piece of work has interested, impressed or has potential in my eyes.
    I try not to critique things that 100 other people will.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I think it really depends on the reason it was posted. Is the person just making art for fun or are they actively trying to get better. If someone is just making something fun to share with their friends or strangers it may not be worth critiquing. I usually don't make critiques on Reddit, Facebook, or DeviantArt for this reason as most people aren't looking to get better at art so much as just share something they made. I used to be pretty bad about accepting criticism and now I'll listen to what anyone has to say. I may not always agree, but I feel that anyone could give a valid critique whether they're an artist or not.

That being said, I hate it when people post something under the guise of getting better but then get super butt-hurt when you point out flaws that could be improved. I have a friend that showed me some art asking what I thought and I pointed out what was flawed. He ignores my advice completely and posts it to Reddit. 30 comments later of people mirroring exactly what I said and he has ignored them completely and only responds to positive comments. Drives me nuts. Why bother asking?
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I guess it comes down to their roots too, pretty much my whole 3d art career, from Amateur hobbyist too urmmm "Amature trying to be for realz"? here on Polycount, where CnC is a way of life.
    I learnt very early on that if I wanted to post work here, not to be butt hurt when people give me feedback (don't bother looking, it was an old account to hide the traces of my butt hurtfulness)

But if you grew up getting feedback of your Mum whilst a basement stroking your neckbeard, your going to be used to people not having anything positive or negative (positively negative) to say, other than "that's nice dear" and you are probably going to get hemroids of rage when people give you feedback.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Polycount used to be 'the' place for 'harsh' criticism, seems these days that doesn't really happen, which is a shame because its much more helpful to get your work ripped apart( in a helpful way)
    It could be that there are just so many more people posting now, so there is n't time to mention everyone's work.
    I see page after page of awesome stuff on Polycount and just go hmm that's nice, then move on.

I think if you are on the receiving end of some hurtful criticism, don't react immediately, think about it for a while before replying.
    most people have your best interests at heart, occasionally they are just being assholes, but either way just take it on the chin and try and analyze the criticism.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Strange you're bringing this up, Makkon. I had a big discussion about this very subject with the devs on Twitter a little while back. Actually, the issue sounds so similar that I wonder if we are even talking about the same person...

Since I've already spoken w him about it, he won't mind me using his name. Noah Bradley is a very very good professional illustrator, and preaches against this same idea of "unsolicited" critiques. He argues that he has friends he will ask if he needs critiques, otherwise, he posts his work for exposure only. He claims that most of the time, it's ametures giving crits to pros so they feel pro.

I disagree w him, but understand I am no where near his ability level. If I were, I do not know how I'd feel. I do know that if I wasn't interested in unsolicited critiques, I'd only show my art to family and friends...

What I do know is that I believe in the constructive critique. I once gave Scott Homer crits on a prop, who is waayyyyy out of my league, but he was gracious about it. He knows I'm not nearly as good as him, but he didn't feel my opinion was invalid because of it. That's the difference, I think.
    Makkon wrote: »
    I guess the rule of thumb is to not give feedback to total strangers unless they ask for it, and if you know them and want to help out then there's no harm in giving some constructive criticism.

This is unfortunate :( Can we as developers really bend our behavior to appease people who can't handle constructive criticism without explicitly asking for it each time?! Jeesh. I have to have faith that artists need to be tougher than that.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I know how the recipient feels, but I don't care about strangers giving feedback, who it is doesn't matter.

Like for me I once just showed off some sketches I was proud of. I knew I was going to get feedback and I did and I humbly accepted it because I need to improve and how could the viewer be wrong about what they see?

But I was still miffed for some reason and when I thought about it, it was because I definitely was looking for an ego boost after all. I just wanted to be congratulated on a good job. I'm not secure about my art at all, and maybe this guy wasn't either. It was especially frustrating to get criticism about things I thought I'd addressed eg: "Dude you could make X look a bit more Y." *Man I already worked for hours to get X to look like Y!*

Not that I'm excusing this behaviour or anything. You can't please everyone and you gotta learn to take critiques nicely.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    He argues that he has friends he will ask if he needs critiques, otherwise, he posts his work for exposure only.

I see nothing wrong with his stance. nor with yours :icon60:

Everyone has different reasons for showcasing work.
    If I'm going to critique someone elses work, it's up to me to determine what the artists' intentions are for showing it.
    I won't burn anyone for seeking praise, critiques or exposure. Playing devils advocate, sometimes it's nice to get one day away from the constant criticism of others. Like a sunny day after months of rain. (Vancity/Seattle you know what i'm on about)

If it's a w.i.p, by all means ...prepare to be chewed out.
    But for a finished piece, I see it as a judgement call... in my mind anyways.

Sometimes we create art, not to become better.. but to better someone elses day
  • ponjarphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ponjarphy polycounter lvl 5
    I would say it greatly depends on where you post.
    say an artist posts a picture on facebook. I would never critique it unless he asks for it. I expect the same respect from everyone else, it is very simple really. when you post places like that you do it to show your art or promote yourself, so you would expect that the artist who did the work had asked some trusted peers for critique.
    this is obviously the opposite as posting on an art forum asking for a review of the work where critique should be more than welcome from both sides.
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with both these points totally.
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    I appreciate anyone who comes by my threads and posts critique, even if its absolutely tearing my work apart; I am able to spot flaws others can see but I myself cannot after staring at it for hours on end...
    Some people just can't handle criticism, If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

The way I see it in most cases you cant do this sort of thing without people around you to critique your work. Relying on friends is not always a good thing as they may not be completely honest.

For one I once posted work on twitter saying I got a compliment off my mother and I must be on to a good thing. An artist replied and said never trust what your family says, they maybe just being nice.

This is why I think getting feedback from strangers is good, as long as the crit is constructive. Obviously get annoyed if the response is "thats shit, give up" but otherwise they should just buck up.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like a guy with a fine arts background.

One of the things that annoyed me more than anything when studying 3d art in a fine art course was that everything that anyone made was considered art and therefore beyond critique. The upshot was that I wound up getting straight As for some of the most hilariously terrible 3d art that you'll see anywhere. I can see though, if you didn't eventually reject it and get some proper lessons as I did, that you'd probably wind up with an aversion to the sort of critique that is usually handed out here.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    haha.. people like that are perfect :'( mimimimiii. just ignore him personally and keep on criticizing others!
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    This is why I think getting feedback from strangers is good, as long as the crit is constructive. Obviously get annoyed if the response is "thats shit, give up" but otherwise they should just buck up.

Haha, I remember something a professional photographer once said, that if you attract the haters then you're doing something right, since nobody would really be bothered to waste their own energy telling you how shit you are if your artwork didn't make an impact.
  • merc-ai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!
    I'm seeing some negativity and misplaced blame in this thread. I'll try to put a more productive spin to it.

Giving feedback when it isn't asked for is a complex topic. Let's analyze it deeper:

1. Effective constructive criticism is a dialogue, not a monologue.

One person (Giver) dedicates his time and effort to give the feedback.
    Another person (Receiver) then has to implement the feedback or at least reply to it (because if he ignores the feedback or reacts in a bad way, he risks looking like an ass; It's a socially awkward situation with possible long-term consequences).

To rephrase: by giving crits when not asked to, the Giver creates a mutually binding social interaction without asking for consent of Receiver. This alone can make it suck hard if the Receiver is too busy for this interaction (or is an Introvert like me - social interactions drain us, especially forced ones).
    Givers, please keep this in mind before laying all blame on person receiving the feedback!

2. There are many nuances that Giver might not know beforehand.
    • Maybe Receiver already has many pages of feedback he's yet to implement (and the Giver is likely repeating something that was already pointed out). This happens all the time.
    • Maybe the art has important style/tech constraints and nuances (required shader structure, texture size, target platform, game camera etc), unknown to outside observer such as Giver, who then makes feedback that is not applicable.
    • Maybe the Giver actually lacks knowledge and suggests something bad/stupid. I'm sure there are no such people on Polycount, I'm talking about feedback in general.
    • Maybe Receiver is on his emotional/energy low, and the feedback will wreck him further (which would not happen if the feedback was given later, when Receiver was ready & asked for it himself).
    • Et cetera.

There can be many nuances and it is silly to assume you know them all in a given situation (unless it's your good friend, maybe).
    All arguments until this point serve one purpose - to show that giving feedback when not asked for it might not be a very good idea.

3. What would I recommend:
    1. Do not give feedback when not asked to. You save time/energy for yourself and the artist. You also show respect toward the artist as a human being.
    2. If you feel that something really needs feedback, try asking first - "Hey, would you like some feedback on that?" This simple one-liner question has saved me (and would-be givers/receivers) many hours of time, energy and good attitude.
    3. If you are actively looking for feedback (crits) when posting your WIPs etc, please state that. This is necessary for this mutually respectful model of social interaction to work.
    These 3 simple suggestions are easy to follow and make life better for everyone involved. Win/win.

Hope someone finds this useful in future :)
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    hmm, this interesting.

Being that it's the internet, I feel like most of it will come down to situational information.

What type of forum (professional, semi pro/mixedbag, amateur/imagehosting)

What type of artist was this human? (did any other work seem commercial/professional, was there any WIP posts?)

Also, what type of art was it, but that's been talked about.

I think if any of those were a yes/professional oriented it "should" be okay to give the crit, and most of us would had probably appreciated helpful feedback. Backlash never looks good in a public forum, and that might go a long way to describe what kind of artist they actually are.

One of the toughest lessons I had to learn when giving/receiving critique is to separate the work from the person who made it. Really essential with those tougher crits that you receive that bite deep. I guess they couldn't step back from the work and focus on the crit :\