Home General Discussion

Giving feedback when it isn't asked for

Replies

• redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    I'm trying to keep it positive, but really... screw that dude.

Though I am thankful for what I get, I feel like I have to be in-your-face and annoying just to get interest in critiquing my posts while some jerk who can't appreciate it gets it without even asking. That really grinds my gears.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Fair enough, StephenVyas :)

Excellent points, merc-ai. You touch on the wasted energy that can occur on both sides if that mutual understanding is not established first. This sheds new light imo.
    redhonour wrote: »
    I feel like I have to be in-your-face and annoying just to get interest in critiquing my posts while some jerk who can't appreciate it gets it without even asking. That really grinds my gears.

This. Can't tell you how many times I have asked for feedback here and got next-to-nothing, only to see the thread above mine get lit up with critiques because the artist refused critique, was full of him/herself, or whatnot. It'd be nice if the threads that desire critique were as attractive as those who didn't.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    This. Can't tell you how many times I have asked for feedback here and got next-to-nothing, only to see the thread above mine get lit up with critiques

Being able to progress without critique is another valuable skill, I was paralyzed in my first industry job because I wanted critique on my every decision.
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    Being able to progress without critique is another valuable skill, I was paralyzed in my first industry job because I wanted critique on my every decision.

This is certainly an excellent point. Being able to find your own resources and stay self-motivated is pretty damn key to survival.

But I would also say that crits open doors, necessary to any artist, that you will never see if you're trying to solve all your own problems. I haven't been out of school long, but I've learned this much: it's nearly impossible to grow as an artist in the vacuum of your own ego. That's what makes crits so invaluable to me.

And so darn frustrating when I see them wasted, I guess
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    A professional artist should be able to take artistic critiques from anyone, whether there an industry vet, someone new or someone not into art at all. A critique is someones OPINION on what they see in the art. It doesn't mean there right, and because of there talent level, doesn't mean there wrong. Its there viewpoint on the piece and a professional artist should recognize the value of differing viewpoints of there own as the art will be seen by people with different viewpoints.

They should also realize that just because someone gives you a critique on a piece doesn't mean you need to change anything. Its just the opinion they are sharing in there eyes that could help make it better. Great artists don't change there work based on every critique they get. As an artist you have to choose whats best for your project. There are tons of times I get feedback that I just don't agree with. Its not right for the style/mood/setting/whatever I want for a specific piece.

I am always grateful for the feedback I have gotten but you have to choose what is right for your project. I have gotten tons of feedback from people new or not in the industry that I just didnt agree with and didnt do. I have also gotten feedback from industry vets I didnt feel fit the project at hand and didnt do. I have equally gotten great feedback from students and people not in the industry that was like, oh wow I would have never thought of that!

If you cant accept feedback from all sources you will always struggle to improve.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    If we dug up everyone's first reaction to an online critique we'll find consummate professionals across the board?

My first critique was around 1998, I was working on the Infinity mod for Quake and the response to my player skin was "it looks like an old man in a sweat suit". I took it pretty hard. Learning how to accept critique is another skill that you aren't born with.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    I wish art forums would innovate and add icons under avatar image that would indicate:

-age group
    - if they have a mental disability
    - if they're open to unsolcited art crits
    - mood indicators: "drunk" "high" "psychotic"

I disagree with the first 2 but mostly the last which is heading towards the discrimination route
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter

Aye. Sage advice, sir.

Great thread
  • BNeutral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you post something in a place where people can comment on it, you better get ready to get feedback. Or not even feedback but just comments calling it shit.
    Otherwise find a place where you can disable comments or such.
    If you want people to comment on something but give no feedback (so, you're just fishing for compliments because your self steem is low), I advise you search for a hugbox instead of whatever place you're posting in currently.

Expecting otherwise is to be ignorant of how the internet works.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I think if someone doesn't want feedback, I can respect that. But it's difficult for me to feel that viewpoint can work for me. There are major turning points in my artistic life that I can trace back to unsolicited critique that changed everything for me. Some of it was very harsh, but no less true.

I owe a lot to unsolicited critique and the people who gave it, and I still do. I've tried to pay it forward throughout my life, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it saddens me when people don't care to receive it. Perhaps I am wrong to give it. I still don't know.

This thread has been really awesome. Thanks guys.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

I'd categorize those as critique and direction though!

Such as being able to solve your problems or create a piece of asset on your own direction but still having good use of critique for the things that you missed vs. someone who might not want to even start an asset before he has exact typed down dimensions of everything.