ike's doter shenanigans

Replies

• Shammy
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 10 Replies
    excellent work! hoping to see much more from you!
  • ike_ike
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 329 Replies
    mayafunsies_zps16c25d2f.png

maya 1, ike 0.

also a rejected pony design for CK

5deeyjM.png

which you should totally upvote by the way

637x358.resizedimage
  • MechBgum
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 115 Replies
    Damn I was dead sure that fur is pretty flammable.
    Looks great though!
  • ike_ike
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 329 Replies
    NbcxWDr.png

honk if you love terrible topology! head's still pretty placeholdery, and i am not looking forward to the shoulders.

also managed to reduce the sword to lod 0 and 1. although i suspect i was supposed to unwrap one of them beforehand. or both.

(honkhonkhonk)
  • vlad_the_implyer
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 802 Replies
    Neato! Is that a beer mug or a horn on his right?
  • ike_ike
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 329 Replies
    Neato! Is that a beer mug or a horn on his right?

my aim is to collect self-made warhorns, okay? just gotta get one for silencer as well

i guess it works as one of those mead horns though. i figure they're pretty similar in shape.

in other news, i imported the hat into doter with a minimum of bloodshed! the silhouette's pretty bland at the moment so i think i'll fall back to the chunky horns. also a wee bit of clipping so i have to tweak that as well.

1hehzAL.jpg

i'd also like to attribute my terrible doter skills to my teeny weeny monitor resolution
  • vlad_the_implyer
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 802 Replies

1hehzAL.jpg

The horns are small and the head seems way too big D:
  • ike_ike
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 329 Replies
    head has been shrunk! horns have been embiggened! now i've just gotta figure out these shoulders. probably going about this the slowest way possible. gotta wrangle me some zbrush.

also gotta trim some tris for his belt.

B9oUnGm.png
  • BrontoThunder
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 931 Replies
    It's looking pretty cromulent but if you're aiming to take this into ZBrush you're going to want to have evenly spaced/sized polygons -- Shoulder/Back is fine but the horns and sword could use some edge loops!
  • ike_ike
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 329 Replies
    ask and ye shall receive. these ones aren't really contributing to the silhouette at the moment, gotta curve them out a bit. that's the 400 tri sword, i've got a few more with more decent quad distribution.
    2V8bW.png

the head in the portrait view's doing some weird stuff with the lighting, dunno if it's related to the placeholder masks i've got. or maybe it's just that backlighting.

actually on closer inspection it might be the horns doing something odd with the shadows. i'll have to check the other ones ingame
    ENka3kG.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 931 Replies
    That's probably related to the shader you're using when exporting - if I export an fbx with a cgfx shader attached it will look like that, I just throw a phong on it before exporting.
  • Spudnik
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 1.6K Replies
    That's probably related to the shader you're using when exporting - if I export an fbx with a cgfx shader attached it will look like that, I just throw a phong on it before exporting.

I always export with a cgfx shader and I've never had a problem with that
  • BrontoThunder
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 931 Replies
    Spudnik wrote: »
    I always export with a cgfx shader and I've never had a problem with that
    Weird, it might just be my export settings.
  • ike_ike
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 329 Replies
    whew. this whole low poly high poly sculpt bake boiling workflow is tangling my brain so have some pimp lion

he really hates dalmatians

iwKGdbI.png
  • ike_ike
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 329 Replies
  • ike_ike
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 329 Replies
    3akKt.png

questionable fur sculpting
  • ike_ike
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 329 Replies
    isgkBKw.png

genuine progress! holy cow these ao bakes are like the best thing ever

edit: it has just occurred to me that i painted the lights on upside down..........

i am not a clever man
  • vlad_the_implyer
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 802 Replies
    isgkBKw.png
    That is sexy, i need to get you on the texture detail.
  • BrontoThunder
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 931 Replies
    Oh no the concept artists are evolving!
  • vlad_the_implyer
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 802 Replies
    They’re texturing it! And then they’re going to model it too! Oh my god!
  • Konras
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 806 Replies
    whew. this whole low poly high poly sculpt bake boiling workflow is tangling my brain so have some pimp lion

he really hates dalmatians

iwKGdbI.png
    Best Lion headgear I ever saw!!!
  • ike_ike
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 329 Replies
    Konras wrote: »
    Best Lion headgear I ever saw!!!

you can model it if you want! cloth and fur are giving me nightmares.
    Oh no the concept artists are evolving!

well well well, if it ain't bronto 'darling of the internets' thunder. one day i'll have my own podcast and it'll be full of me doing nothing but making snarky hashtags.
    They’re texturing it! And then they’re going to model it too! Oh my god!
    one day i'll be able to change that writeup in the OP. one day

in other news, i'm so productive it's terrifying. by the end of the year i'll have finished this set

xyuaJEb.png
  • vlad_the_implyer
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 802 Replies
    bake some more AO on the sord and the shield
  • Konras
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 806 Replies
    @beetrootChan thanks, I would love to, however I am in the middle of doing other items, and will probably not finish them soon :( I would not like to block this concept from someone else. However I will check in future if it will be available when I will be free :)

As for textures I remember one good tut showing how to make basic texture for your model. Most important part will be shown from 2:10:00. However whole video is quite nice if you like making some weapons. Its darksiders, however some thing can apply to dota as well.
    http://www.livestream.com/vigilnights/video?clipId=pla_69d386b0-0c57-444a-a1e5-4c820a55e9d2&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb
    One thing that is missing in this tut is directional/omni lightning which you can also bake and put on top.
    Hope it will help you :)
  • ike_ike
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 329 Replies
    giant screenshot compilation! just with normals and color masks at the moment. everything's only skinned to one joint at the moment, so hopefully the shoulder'll be less floaty.

tweaked the colour layouts a bit. the gold was a bit overpowering at first, so i slimmed down all the bits with trim. also the sword's mirrored the wrong way so he's holding nothing with his right hand at the moment, but i'm liking the blade so i figure i'll just mirror the handle

normals on the shoulder aren't working quite as well as i hoped. gotta redo that.

Ca0h6q0.jpg
    Konras wrote: »
    @beetrootChan thanks, I would love to, however I am in the middle of doing other items, and will probably not finish them soon :( I would not like to block this concept from someone else. However I will check in future if it will be available when I will be free :)

As for textures I remember one good tut showing how to make basic texture for your model. Most important part will be shown from 2:10:00. However whole video is quite nice if you like making some weapons. Its darksiders, however some thing can apply to dota as well.
    http://www.livestream.com/vigilnights/video?clipId=pla_69d386b0-0c57-444a-a1e5-4c820a55e9d2&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb
    One thing that is missing in this tut is directional/omni lightning which you can also bake and put on top.
    Hope it will help you :)

end up watching the whole thing bit by bit ~_~

tried to stick a few more hues in there. also cavity maps. woohoo.

there are still a few weird shading errors on the sword and the helmet; looks like something's casting shadows or i've borked the masks.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 802 Replies

Ca0h6q0.jpg
    Dayum son, that is some shitty ingame screenshots. Upgrade your rig for at least "high" setting

The central part of the shield is floating in the air, there's no connection to the rest of it, i advised you to bake AO there, that would've helped.

Also the cape is broken, it just goes, then suddenly jumps and turns into fur, you should resculpt the fold to make the top go over the rest of it or change the flow.
  • Neox
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 4.9K Replies
    use that dosh you got from D2 and upgrade.

may i ask what this means? ^^
  • ike_ike
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 329 Replies
    Nature%27s_Prophet_icon.png gotta spend them dota dollars!
  • ike_ike
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 329 Replies
    3eHM4

slight detour
  • BrontoThunder
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 931 Replies
    If I wasn't working on 80 projects I'd snatch that one right up.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file