Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 5

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
Welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge 5!

y6irccy.jpg

Last month was amazing guys! We reached 30 pages! Keep it up!

I had a hard time picking the concept this month, a lot of people wanted two different ones, but I think this one has the least assets and will take the least time, that will give you more time to work on each asset. So that's my reason for picking it even though the other concept got one or two votes more. So please don't get upset.
RULES:

Please read all the rules.

This may seem like it's pretty complicated, and if you are starting out it can be overwhelming, so take it piece by piece. This can be broken down into a segments. Think about what will be unique, what will be tiled, what kinda textures you'll need to make, just plan before you go. Set your standards high for your work, do your best.

PLEASE look at the ref, and work hard to get the blockout right. Take your time before you dive into it and plan, this will make your life easier.

All that matters is that you learn and give and get advice and are willing to be critiqued.

So here are the specific rules:

Must make your own textures, no stealing, we can't keep you from it, but the goal is to learn, even tileables, I mean you can take someone else's image and make it tileable, that's fine.

You must use a game engine OBVIOUSLY. UDK or Cryengine will probably be the most used.

You must try your best and finish as much as you can in this month.

Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique and we don't have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

Well that's about it, if you think the rules should be changed let us know.

I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

Please stay away from Ddo, yeah, it's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, please don't complain.

Have fun!

PS: I am extremely familiar with Cryengine and can answer probably any question you happen to have when using it. Furthermore ask anything to anyone here, combined there is a wealth of knowledge.

PSSSS:
OPEN TO EVERYONE!

GOOD LUCK

Last month's thread

Replies

• Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay, can't wait to get started. I should have the time this month to finish it! Now to do the blockout and decide if I should do this handpainted or not.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty good concept. I'm looking forward to seeing how people approach the clouds.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neat ... The idea here is that you only need replicate the viewpoint in the reference, right? That could change how you approach asset creation on some of these things...
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet. Totally going to start a blockout tonight/hopefully over the weekend.
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Q2nnkJP.jpg

Obviously the grass and cliff would be tiliables. So would the tree bark, and brick of the house. I probably could tile more, but I want to try handpainting textures which I have never done, so the more unique textures the more practice.
  • Kuma-kun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was not what I would have picked but now I'm really glad it was. I'm excited to get home and start this.
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no idea how to model out the terrain, just do it in maya like anything else? If so would you think it would be pieces like I've colored?

TerrainChunks.jpg
  • Aldragoran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been watching the last two challenges, so thought I'd give this one a go.

Breakdown of the scene:

Scene_Breakdown.jpgScene_Breakdown.jpg

Scene_Breakdown(Block_Colour).jpg

Tillable Textures:

• Grass
    • Tree Bark
    • Bridges
    • Bricks/Plaster (House)
    • Planks/Straw (Roof)
    • Stone/Dirt (Ground)
    I will most likely create a few different stone/rocks for the ground and then use them as static meshes to create the ground for the islands. Then use 3 static meshes for the terrain.

I think I will learn a lot from this looking forward to seeing how everyone elses turns out :)

Scene_Breakdown.jpg
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Nice concept. I'm determined to take this one to the finish instead of dropping out half way like the previous :) I'm going for a low poly hand painted style, probably in Unity as I need to get to grips with it for a project I've got coming up.

Here's my texture plan.

textureplan.jpg
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geez, I've been away from 3D for way too long, but now I get to come back trying to figure out hand-painted textures in a foliage-rich night scene, absolutely none of which I have any experience with. This oughtta be fun…
    8519989618_88f9f106da_b.jpg

So, the way I'm seeing the breakdown, we've got our "hero" assets, i.e. the main tree and the house. There's not much, if anything they'll be sharing with anything else in the scene (though I like benji's suggestion of the bridges and the roof sharing a texture. I do, however, think the bridges look a little rougher than the planks that make up the roof).
    Then comes the scene itself; I hesitate to call it the "background", but it's the lower-detail, repeatable stuff, tileable rock and grass textures, the grass cards, the big bushes, and props, like the bridges. I made a point of drawing out the grass cards separate in my breakdown because I know I'll want 'em to hide transitional edges between the ground and… everything else.
    Finally, you've got the sky. I'm no skydome expert, but I'd guess a moon that big and bright won't really communicate on a skydome, so I've made it separate, which will hopefully enable some fun to be had making it really pop. Clouds are definitely sitting in front of the sky, so they'll be separate chunks as well.
  • NobleWulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am actually going to get into this challenge. Wish me luck. :)
  • silenceofadeadman
    lay out
    lay_out.jpg

what i have so far
    house_test.jpg
  • Artelios
  • Artelios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    33971_10151393492213649_715818616_n.jpg

My first attempt and what I've done in the hour I was alotted this morning.
  • Sythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am going to try and hop in on this one.

I am having a bit of trouble making the terrain and distance/perspective. Artelios how did you block that out maintaining perspective?
  • Artelios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythe,

I just made a cube with the image in Max, used Alt+ X to make the cube invisible. Then I just dragged it along the image, adding loops where I thought it needed to be raised at the max height and lowered it by vertexes where I thought hills needed to be..it's all guessing work for th emost part. It looks okay from this view, but if I were to spin the image around, it drops straight down. There's no natural grace or beauty to it at all. XD

I also will probably end up retopologizing over the layout because I know as is, the mesh won't smooth correctly in Mudbox how I want.
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    I'm new to the site and this looks fun as hell! :D So I will give this a crack. I had never thought to break a picture down to how those have above.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    I suggest checking this out for the foliage https://www.3dmotive.com/f102101 :) I just started checking it out at work, it's got some awesome tips and could come in handy for this challenge.
  • Sythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AH ok thx Artelios!! I been playing with it. I keep scratching my head on perspective of it all and distance. I will probably keep plaything with tonight and post what i have later for critque.
  • NobleWulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got around to starting, started off with breaking down the concept as that is the usual thing to do. :D Now I don't even know where to start modeling. Any help?

Xl9PxcN.jpg
  • cheezdude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have very much experience with anything, but I would really like to try this out this month! Hopefully I'm not too busy, I'll definitely be working hard on this!
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    I plan on using world machine to create the terrain, would advise others to look into an. Great program, even though my scene might not look exactly like the concept terrain.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's going to be really fun to see what people can come up with - good luck everyone!
  • _DMage_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish everyone good luck :D
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This blockout is insanely hard to get right.
  • NobleWulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benton wrote: »
    This blockout is insanely hard to get right.

Exactly, I am having trouble trying to block it out as well.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    What are you guys having trouble with exactly concerning the blockout? Making it match the concept?

I don't know which modelling program you're using, but in Maya I usually map the concept to a plane and have it either off to the side so I can constantly look at it or centered in my front viewport and model on top of it. I will also make a scale figure before I even start the blockout so I'm not modeling at some arbitrary huge or tiny scale.

Good luck guys, I'll be watching this and trying to give critique where I can, but I think finishing last month's challenge to being portfolio-worthy will eat too far into this month's challenge, and I LOVE hand-painted texturing so I'm really bummed I might not have time for this one. We'll see.
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix wrote: »
    What are you guys having trouble with exactly concerning the blockout? Making it match the concept?

I don't know which modelling program you're using, but in Maya I usually map the concept to a plane and have it either off to the side so I can constantly look at it or centered in my front viewport and model on top of it. I will also make a scale figure before I even start the blockout so I'm not modeling at some arbitrary huge or tiny scale.

Good luck guys, I'll be watching this and trying to give critique where I can, but I think finishing last month's challenge to being portfolio-worthy will eat too far into this month's challenge, and I LOVE hand-painted texturing so I'm really bummed I might not have time for this one. We'll see.

Mostly having trouble blocking out the terrain, the large part close to the camera. I think I need to build it just like all the other parts, instead of just a simple plane.
  • Maxram0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet! looking forward to starting this, but I still haven't finished last months.

since were dealing with foliage, I'm hoping someone can tell me how do I make a polygon/mesh always face the camera/player in UDK? in 3DS max it would be a look at constraint, but I don't know if UDK has something like that, I know game engines can tell a polygon/mesh to always face the camera/player since I've played a few games where that was implemented, but it would be nice to know how to do it myself, sorry if this is a noob question, I'm not very good with game engines
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Maxram0 - Hi, i think its a little outdated solution and it doesnt looks good at all.I think in modern games, developers rarely use this technique.
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rough Blockin in Maya:
    8520733928_9545537fee_b.jpg

Beginning to model the house. Heavy is my scale-guy. Expect to see a lot of him.
    8521455597_5c61800b45_b.jpg
  • ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    Maxram0 wrote: »
    how do I make a polygon/mesh always face the camera/player in UDK?

You could look here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79143
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your final work should have Heavy on roof with the cat.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man that's great! I was really hoping for this concept to be chosen.

Too bad I can only start on this on monday.

Good luck everyone! :)
  • Maxram0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Obscura
    I know it's not a popular solution any more, but I was curious as to how the end product will look in comparison to the 3D Motive tutorial jordan.kocon posted in the previous page, so more than anything, I'm just playing with my options, also will try playing with cel-shading if I can, just to try and learn alternate ways of presenting work.

@ng.aniki
    thank you! that looks like exactly what I was thinking of, admittedly it looks a bit more complicated than I anticipated, will be the first time scripting/coding anything in a game engine, so that should be a fun learning experience.
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    I'm having trouble blocking this out too, it looks fine in the front view, but when i change it to perspective view, it looks strange :L

How are people setting up their concept in max? I added mine as the background of the viewport, but when its in perspective mode it's hard to keep the model in the same place as it.

rPIigvl.png

here's what i've got atm, the pink block being the height of a player in UDK
  • josh.0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh.0 polycounter lvl 5
    I think the blocking issues people are having is because there aren't any specified boundaries. What's to the right and left? What's below, down the crevice, and beyond the edge? Is there water? Or is it some kind of docking house for an airship? I think for this challenge, people might have to conceptualize what is beyond the frame of the picture to be able to develop the foundation for what is shown.
  • Rabant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what I have come up with for preplanning. I learned a lot through my struggles with last months challenge. The goal this month is to get more then just one asset completed :)
    Instead of worrying about individual models, I decided to separate by texture sheet. I have never done this, so I'm sure I will run into road blocks, but right now it makes sense.
    I like the image a lot, its going to be quite challenging to get the lighting done correctly and I look forward to it.
    Noob5_blockout-copy.jpg
    With everyone saying that the block out is difficult, I tried this to see if it helps me, and I think it does. I just tried to visualize the "islands" as they would be in the top view. I figure the rest should be easier from there.
    overview-sketch-noob5-copy.jpg
    I will be much more involved this month and look forward to everyone's kick ass work!
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG Rabant, I love you, I didn't think of it being that way. I thought the artist was being funny with the perspective and the cliff we see in the distance was really far away!
  • Rabant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Problems uberpheonix! The hint for me was the smaller bridge to the cliff in the distance. I just assumed that it would be approximately the same size as the closer bridge.
    <edited for grammatical error>
  • jickrames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blockout.jpg
    A (no so) quick blockout. Rabant is a champ for pointing out that the other bridge could be smaller, it makes this 100x easier.
  • Kuma-kun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the initial block out for the ground although I'm not sure if I'm happy with it.
    8522978079_d25b88fe1e_b_d.jpg

Imported into UDK to see how it would look.
    8522977729_a8c042dd55_b_d.jpg

This works fine if I still try and model to camera. Had to adjust the FOV in UDK for this however. Going to have another go at this from more of a map layout i think.
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benton wrote: »
    Your final work should have Heavy on roof with the cat.

Beats the heck out of modeling a kid…
    Rabant wrote: »
    No Problems uberpheonix! The hint for me was the smaller bridge to the cliff in the distance. I just assumed that it would be approximately the same size as the closer bridge.
    <edited for grammatical error>

I also just noticed that the rope in the background is coming from two of the big posts. The bridges don't connect to those, only the draping rope in the mid-ground does, lending further credence to the "it's just a rope" theory…
  • MadCookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a little question on the side, does Marmoset qualify as game engine? ;)
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    I haven't done much in the way of even attempting game art in a long while. Mostly lurk around admiring much of the work done here.

I currently am employed as a programmer with a CS degree, but I like to do art when I can find some free time. So please crit any work I post heavily because I may not see it myself.

paintover.png

Overhead view to try and get a feel for where things are positioned.

overviewk.png
  • Swan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swan polycounter lvl 3
    MadCookie wrote: »
    Just a little question on the side, does Marmoset qualify as game engine? ;)

Toolbag is great for showing off single props/characters, but it's not meant to be used to render a whole scene.
  • Artelios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Render4.jpg

Need to adjust the building, block in a window and tweak the bridge.
    I think I'm done with the tree for now in terms of blocking it out.

Also, seeing as I'm new to this..
    should I create a new post each time and post progress, or just edit my original post and paste the links so you can view all the progress pics in one post?
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just keep making posts for updates, no need to edit your original :)
  • Volantk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Volantk polycounter lvl 11
    Progress after some hours of work:
    WIP02.jpg

I need to figure out how to do the grass properly. I wish there was an easy way to edit vertex normals in Blender.
    The bushy trees are made using Unity standard assets, so I need to do something about those too.
    And the clouds...
    Then there's the rest. Still a lot to do.
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    Looking great guys! Will follow this just like I did the last one.