• akh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
    Hop, blockin of the house finish, now zbrush. 4TT1T1c.jpg
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I was kinda all over the place today. I decided I oughtta maybe focus on textures, since they're kinda going to be a really big part of making this look good, and also kinda where I have a bad habit of getting frustrated and letting a project lapse into a state of perpetual WIP-iness.

Quick second paintover to try and figure out what textures I'm going to need:
    8526361911_eed8272a2c_b.jpg

First pass Grass texture, based on Jeff Parrot's tutorial, which is fairly simple, but a bit time consuming because you're kinda hand-placing a bunch of blades of grass, then a bunch of ever-larger clumps of grass until you're ready to start doing the awesome little Offset tricks.
    8527475532_ed701e5884_z.jpg
    The technique seems sound, but I think I'm probably going to have to play around with trying to start from a handful of flat-colored blades to get a bit closer to the concept. Also, never having done a successful night scene, I'm not sure how much I need to cheat the blue moonlight in the textures, whether my grass (and everything else) should be thoroughly blue-tinted or whether I can expect lighting to shoulder the burden on that.

Finally, I went back to start getting my terrain shapes a bit more detailed, closer to the concept, not made of 20 or so tris with all the jaggedness that entails.
    8526361885_94624a7980_b.jpg
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The image belongs to Sergey Svistunov I found his deviantArt profile may want to credit him some where
  • Arctic Furnace
    Right then, out with the old and in with the new challenge.

Here's my quick breakdown of textures/assets

justmydreamanalysis.jpg

I got Ni No Kuni on Friday and been playing it a lot over the weekend. I want to try and attempt a similar art style with this piece because its so gorgeous. Not really had a go at making my own hand painted textures before so it'll be a nice change for me, and quite a challenge as well.
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time to do some texturing.
    Shw2TQI.png
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is way more difficult than I thought...

Someone else having troubles with the camera matching?
  • Coosc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screenshot20130305at100.png

Working on the blockout
  • silenceofadeadman
    house.jpg?m
    what im workin on.... thinkin bout redoing the tree >.>
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    Created the island with the house tonight.

I found the best way to do this for me was to shape a plane to the outline of the hill from the front, rotate it 45 degrees on the X axis and then stretch it vertically (so that it was the same height from orthographic front before the rotation). Then from the top view I places all of the vertices to map my top down interpretation, then add cuts repeatedly to try and get roughly the same rock shape.

progress1i.png
  • akh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
    Hop, trunk of the primary tree started:

caYidNM.jpg
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    Again participating in the Polycount's "Monthly Noob Challenge 5" to challenge myself.
    ----floating island
    Purpose:
    -learn terrain and vertex painting
    -Will be making the terrain as a whole not just a snapshot.
    -learn Hand painting.
    -foilage modeling.

Texutres:
    -ground Terrain textures:
    grass X 2
    dirt X 2
    rock X 2
    -Sky dome [no idea, how I am going to do the sky]?
    Models:
    -terrain rocks X 3
    -floating island
    Archecture:
    -few Houses
    -fence
    -wood pieces
    -floating ladder
    Vegeation
    -tree(few,Not sure)
    -Bushes
    -grass
    -flowers

Day 2:
  • Coosc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trying to sculpt stylised rocks, any Critiques would be much appreciated!
    screenshot20130305at102.png
  • akh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
    Trunk Low Poly baked VmIVH1B.jpg
    Now foliage.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Why so slow this month guys?
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK wrote: »
    the escape maybe?
    :/ Next month I shall make more grand that the the universe itself!
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    :/ Next month I shall make more grand that the the universe itself!

I'll try to get something up later this week, too busy with a retail course atm XC
  • Kl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kl
    So I finally got round to blocking out the concept art.

Planning to throw this lovely little scene into Cry Engine and have a play around with the various gem's it contains and to learn a new engine. I'm not sure if it would be best to have a tillable cliff face texture or just to sculpt it all out. With the bridges and roof panels, I thought it might be best to make them modular and let the tree have its own texture sheet. I think I can get away with having the foliage sharing one sheet too. Considering how dark the scene is not sure how much you would actually see.

Now, to jot down a quick plan and on with the show.

2el9pvp.jpg
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [URL="8531185561_025666371b_b.jpg[/URL]

Starting my blockout...first day off since the challenge began. I'm going to try a handpainted style, but I'm going to outline my textures...like in a graphic style. Not the traditional handpainted look where everything is blended. Also I'm going to try to simplify my textures so its not as time consuming given the amount of time I have to work on assets each week.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samcole wrote: »
    [URL="8531185561_025666371b_b.jpg[/URL]

Starting my blockout...first day off since the challenge began. I'm going to try a handpainted style, but I'm going to outline my textures...like in a graphic style. Not the traditional handpainted look where everything is blended. Also I'm going to try to simplify my textures so its not as time consuming given the amount of time I have to work on assets each week.
    You should try and get the correct aspect ratio for your images before you block it out.
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a simple way to set that up? I tried using the image plane feature in Maya..and it just didn't want to play nice.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a simple way to set that up? I tried using the image plane feature in Maya..and it just didn't want to play nice.

Just move the top edge of the plane down till it's right.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13

I believe there's 4 ways in Maya to get a perfect image ratio of your reference. At work so i can't double check myself, but hope it helps.

1. (most tedious) In Photoshop, open your reference. Go to Image Size and write down the height and width of the concept's image in cm. Create a plane in Maya and punch in the measurements (Maya's default system of measurement is cm). Create a new Lambert with the concept image in Hypershade and assign it to the plane.

2) (less tedious) Select your camera and create an Image Plane. Noodle with the settings until it's placed where you want it. It will automatically import in with the correct image ratio

3) (least tedious) Create a new Lambert with the concept image in Hypershade and assign it to the plane. Go to Window > Texture Editor. Click Normalize, and the image should become the correct image ratio. (not sure about this one, can't remember if this works)

4) Eyeball it. :D
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

AspectRatio= imageHeight / imageWidth (this gives the number of vertical pixels per horizontal pixel)

FinalHeight = FinalWidth * AspectRatio;

FinalWidth can be chosen at will and this will make sure the height is the same ratio.

(programmer answer).
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [IMG][/img]8531432915_15d415d82f_b.jpg

I think I got the aspect ratio fixed...and the image plane is in a decent spot..not in the way. Thanks for the tips guys.
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress on the house, and got the mesh into Unity. I don't have pro, so no shadows unless I bake a light map (never done this before, or move to UDK when I actually get towards the end.

progress2.png
  • Rabant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my VERY rough blockout. I'm pretty happy with the perspective. Next step do some texture tests and fine tune the geometry.
    Noob5_blockout_site.jpg
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rlv5e5j.png
    Quite happy with my first hand painted texture. I wish I could have gotten some wood grain in it, but it matches the concept better, and wood seems hard to do, and I don't have a tablet, so I am gonna call it done.

a539Az7.jpg
  • Kl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kl
    and I don't have a tablet

I would highly recommend getting one, you might be able to find a nice second hand wacom to get you started.

Good start on the textures though. Do you have access to a camera Benton?
  • Sythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blockout.png

Here is my block-out took me longer than expected. I will be working on the assets tonight/tomorrow. Hope i will have an update.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benton wrote: »
    Rlv5e5j.png
    Quite happy with my first hand painted texture. I wish I could have gotten some wood grain in it, but it matches the concept better, and wood seems hard to do, and I don't have a tablet, so I am gonna call it done.

a539Az7.jpg

I agree with this, the cheapest wacom bamboo is awesome. In fact minus the pen I prefer it to my intuos as the side buttons are annoying as hell.

This will make your hand painted textures much better. Also try avoiding using soft bruises like you would any painting (generally).
    With that said I suck at painting and just started getting into hand painted textures. This tutorial is a good starting point. https://www.3dmotive.com/v101801
  • akh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
    Up, i'm not really satisfied for my tree but it's my first modelisation of a tree. I think i will restart a new modelisation :(

fMcjqFa.jpg
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    So I thought I would break out of this whole modelling thing and concentrate on what looks the best in this scene, the sky. So Here is my progress on it so far.

Backrgound_01.jpg

Started with a gradient using the colours I wanted to get the right mood.

Backrgound_02.jpg

Added the stars.

Stars.jpg

I created two layers of stars and used a rotator + panner with random 1 vectors plugged into time to give me a better scattering of stars. They are then just added to the sky gradient.

Backrgound_03.jpg

Added the moon with a green halo

Moon.jpg

I'm posting up the material for this because I figured I might as well show my process. I'm unhappy with the end result so I may go back and try a different method later on. May just drop in an alphad plane with the moon texture on it instead. The final node for the moon is plugged into custom lighting.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now here comes the tricky part..
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would highly recommend getting one, you might be able to find a nice second hand wacom to get you started.

Good start on the textures though. Do you have access to a camera Benton?

Yeah I'm looking at getting one. I have a good camera too.
    I agree with this, the cheapest wacom bamboo is awesome. In fact minus the pen I prefer it to my intuos as the side buttons are annoying as hell.

This will make your hand painted textures much better. Also try avoiding using soft bruises like you would any painting (generally).
    With that said I suck at painting and just started getting into hand painted textures. This tutorial is a good starting point. https://www.3dmotive.com/v101801

Thanks, I will check that out :) What do you mean by not using soft brushes?

Update:

Started working on my first ever brick texture!

tcNEcI7.jpg
    lWisYZS.png
    It's not great, but I'm really new, so I will probably come back to this later but for now I think its fine. I don't know if I like the white lines on the bricks. But please, throw all your criticism at me, I want to learn.
    This tutorial really came in handy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4cjgZA_YKCg
  • Artelios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm withdrawing out of this one; I just got tasked with a first response training simulator my local police department and as a result and am in charge of characters and some small assets for it. I'll take a peek at the results though and hopefully I can do next month's sci fi one. Good luck everyone!

ps.
    Loving those hand painted texture tutorials. They're fantastic!
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 3.

I have never done any environment work before (very little overall 3d work as well). Next up will be the last island, and then the smaller pieces (bridges, vines / ropes).

progress3i.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What happened to this thing:/
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Alex, most people are busy with the escape challenge!
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme : Dont worry man, stuff like this happen, and for 8 days with 90 post aint bad at all, I guess the flow will go back to normal next month.

Im not participating this time due to workshops and tight schedules ,but will be back next challenge.
  • Rabant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks AzzaMat, that gives me at least a starting idea on how to tackle the sky with lighting! I had no idea where I was going to start with that.
    So here are my updates. I decided to work on some textures that I have almost no experience on. First up was grass. I decided to put a base grass texture down and then I will really punch it up with Panes of grass to give it depth and variation as well as the illusion of uncut grass.
    I followed this tutorial to help out with grass as well as the one mentioned earlier.
    http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=315&t=100319
    Grass_on_blockout.jpg
    Grass_clumps.jpg
    I'm going to get somethings into the engine shortly to see how things look in there. I'm going to give a good crack at the cliff sides tomorrow before work.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockguy wrote: »
    AlexCatMasterSupreme : Dont worry man, stuff like this happen, and for 8 days with 90 post aint bad at all, I guess the flow will go back to normal next month.

Im not participating this time due to workshops and tight schedules ,but will be back next challenge.

That's good to hear!
    And yeah I just am surprised by how low it is, a total black and white of last month.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    It's a pretty weird concept, I have to say. Not a lot of interesting assets to create... The only thing I'm interested in is how people would approach the fluffy clouds.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem dude, I haven't even started the clouds yet they are going to be the hard part.
    Rabant wrote: »
    Grass_clumps.jpg

I would get some more height variation in your grass alpha's they look far to uniform at the moment.
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a pretty weird concept, I have to say. Not a lot of interesting assets to create... The only thing I'm interested in is how people would approach the fluffy clouds.

this ^

It's just a weird concept. If I can't visualize the concept art as a 3d environment then I lose interest in it pretty quickly. This concept doesn't really work as a 3d environment if you ask me. However that's just my opinion, maybe someone will be able to turn this into a beautiful 3d scene :)
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that ^

Then again, that's what makes it a challenge. :)
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8539002181_5a00d9e193_b.jpg
    grass_diffuse

My first ever hand painted grass texture. Simpler style then what most will do, but I'm ok with it.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CloudTest_01.jpg

Got moonlight rims on a simple cloud textures. now all I need to do is add variation and fix the alpha so the stars don't shine through the clouds
  • Rabant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated my grass texture before work.
    Grass_clumps2.jpg

I agree that the concept is a little difficult to wrap your head around. However, all environment art can't be interiors!