Home General Discussion

Nintendo Direct.

Andreas
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Andreas polycounter lvl 11
http://kotaku.com/5978276/nintendo-is-remaking-the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker-for-wii-u

Wind Waker remake hurray! Not sure how I feel about them messing with probably the most visually striking game ever, but maybe they'll give players a choice of which graphics to use? Seems they're missing the point they made ten years ago by drowning it in bloom.

Also new Mario, Mario Kart at E3.

This is gonna be some whopper of an E3.

Replies

• ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I genuinely prefer the look of the original.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want them to put all the content and dungeons that they cut back in.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has Nintendo put out any new franchises in the last 12 years?

Seems like its roughly the same games at every E3 and if this remake is the start of a trend, it literally is going to be the exact same games...
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Xenoblade was a new franchise.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh you're right forgot about that.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Not sure this was such a good idea. While 90% of it is just running at a higher res, non-downsampled textures, different (I refrain from saying better) post processing/lighting, some assets appear to have been totally redone.

I imagine doing a small-scale original Zelda game closer to the original games as a web store only title could've been a hit and taken the same amount of resources.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Wind Waker looks terrible, but its Wind Waker, so I'm totally torn... Sadly, HD does NOT mean slap 500% bloom on it and over saturate... It likely won't even be 1080p. Worst of all, the characters now look terrible. The charm of Wind Waker was how simple it looked, it was like a cartoon in motion. It really, really didn't need anything more than re-make the UI, make it widescreen and make it 1080p. Possibly throw in a few new dungeons. But that was it.

I'm liking the fact the Virtual console is coming at last, and with off-TV play. I'm not liking however that even though I already own the content, I have to pay for it again. Sure, $1 for Super Metroid may not seem like anything at all... But I alrady paid for it. Nintendo have no fucking clue on what an online account should mean. They can already check that I own the game, to offer the discount. Its nice it has a few new extras, but come on, Sony didn't change you anything to play your PSOne games on PS3 and on PS Vita... So why here?

Good news on the system updates, because the Wii U is so damn slow with things... Sadly still no news on TiVii in the UK, which is retarded as we have a totally useless button on uur screen.

What I really wanted to see from this was what Retro are working on. I need me some new Metroid, and I'm hoping to see a new Prime, or a HS side scroller like Super... And if the team that made Other M are ANYWHERE near it, they can just fuck off right now, what a cluster fuck of a game that was...

But it all has me looking forward to E3, just to see the new 3d Mario and any other treats they may have :D
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bibendum wrote: »

Rhythm Heaven, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Nintendogs, Kiki Trick, Fossil Fighters (?), Steel Diver.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    Rhythm Heaven, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Nintendogs, Kiki Trick, Fossil Fighters (?), Steel Diver.
    Pikmin and Animal Crossing are both from 2001, I guess technically in the 12 year cutoff but still well over a decade old.

The unfortunate trend in all the other games you mentioned is that they're all for Nintendos handhelds and casual games.

Still, fair enough.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that they need to focus on new I.P. Sure those titles were released in the last 12 years, but how many Mario Kart titles? How many titles that feature 'Mario' in the title?

They can't even seem to strike a balance even; where is F-Zero?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the end of the day, if people keep buying it, Nintendo will keep making it. The new Animal Crossing is at #3 in the charts at the moment as an example. These numbers aren't entirely accurate, but you can see it for yourself:
    http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/
    Mario Kart Wii has some 30 million sold, and New Super Mario Bros Wii isn't far behind. The most recent Pokemon outings (not counting B/W 2, since it's only available in Japan) all exceed ten million.

When one of their current franchises stop selling in the millions, they'll retire it for a while and replace it with a new one; Nintendo seem to limit their number of currently running franchises.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure I know how the ecosystem works, 10+ years just seems like a remarkably long time to me to go without a major franchise but as stated I missed Xenoblade, so I guess its not as bad as I thought.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    its good buisness model, but bad for fans... would love to see a ground breaking AAA game from nintendo, but i dont think its going to happen... they will test stuff out on handhelds where its cheaper and quicker
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    If they tune down the bloom, up the Cell it will look super great! right now looks like an Unreal Mod. And fuck Nintendo for making us pay $1 for NES games we already bought with the Wii.

For comparison's sake..here is the original running off dolphin.
    Screen3-Large.jpg

vs WiiU.

irbdIzFZIJj6E.jpg

Edit:
    Ripped these from NeoGaf.
    Comparison_1.png
    Comparison_1_-_HD.jpg

Comparison_2.png
    Comparison_2_-_HD.jpg
    Comparison_3.png
    Comparison_3_-_HD.jpg

Comparison_4.png
    Comparison_4_-_HD.jpg

Comparison_6.png
    Comparison_6_-_HD.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    All they did there was take bits from the game and rerender them with fancy effects. I'd imagine the final product will be way better.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea that's true. A lot of people are over reacting, and I am sure as the game progresses they will get a bad ass balance. I will say, Nintendo knows how to make a great looking game, that also looks great for generations. You can't say that about most companies.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I am disappoint...
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    High-definition Wind Waker with improved textures and shaders? Yes please!

I'm also loving the special that they are going to be running through the first half of this year. One Virtual Console game a month is going to be marked down to $0.30. The list of games for this sale include some must-haves, such as Punch-Out, Kirby's Adventure, and Super Metroid. Super Metroid on my Wii-U for 30 cents? Yes please!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm completely fine with them changing the look of the game, if I want to play original windwaker HD I already can play it at 1080p on an emulator. I feel it'll only sell if they change it up. Shadows and bloom could work. Remember this game has a complete day and night cycles, and some shadows could help make the game feel more dynamic.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooooh. Imagine if they put in the dungeons that got cut! I also hope they make changing the wind not such a tedious endeavor.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Hell yes. My favorite Zelda game, by far.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Oh god.

Nintendo makes their first HD console... and they've discovered bloom.

but seriously, this doesn't look like a big difference, did they just retexture it? The geometry looks super low res. And bloomy.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    That's awesome for me, as I never played the original Wind Waker. The Virtual Console will be great too, can't wait to play ol SNES games on the gamepad while I poop.

But more exciting than all of that is a new 3d Mario from the same team behind the amazing Galaxy games. I can't wait to see that.

Been enjoying my WiiU quite a bit, so this is all great news to me.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Man that bloom makes it look bad! I really want to like it. I was secretly hoping for a 3DS version of Wind Waker. Hopefully they'll listen to people hating on the bloom and remove it.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian wrote: »
    Oh god.

Nintendo makes their first HD console... and they've discovered bloom.

The next main Super Mario installment is called 'Super Mario Bloom' actually. :P

From those Neogaf shots I see they've also done some fairly dodgy colour correction... it's like the shadows are a really satured, emissive, blue? :/

When they unveiled Skyward Sword and showed screens with the giant wiimote covering 1/3 of the screen people raged, Ninty listened and gave people an option to have it or not, in the end. Maybe that would work again? :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New Mario & Luigi 3DS RPG, Animal Crossing dated for June 9th, Donkey Kong Returns for 3DS, and, undoubtedly the best news so far, a new Mario Golf game! Been keen for one of those for a while.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Donkey Kong Country Returns on the 3ds is decent news.

I was probably most excited about the Animal Crossing and the Monster Hunter news.
  • Lugbzurg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bibendum wrote: »

Seems like its roughly the same games at every E3 and if this remake is the start of a trend, it literally is going to be the exact same games...
    Well, there's Animal Crossing and Pikmin. Not to mention Wii Sports and Wario Ware, I suppose, if those count. Was that "Custom Robo" thing one of theirs?
    Mstankow wrote: »
    Xenoblade was a new franchise.
    Xenoblade was a new game. Not a new franchise. I believe Xenosaga came out in 1997.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Custom Robo is theirs but it's been around since the N64 in Japan.

Animal Crossing also started as an N64 project in Japan.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, did anyone check out that Mario & Luigi Super Star saga?
    First inside of Bowser's belly and now inside of Luigi's dreams,
    where will they go next? I've got high hopes for that one, there is going to be some
    crazy nonsense going on, and it seems the core mechanic of this game is going to be screwing with weegee in his sleep.
    4a8CjKa.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for the life of me i can't understand how Nintendo get away with this shit year after year.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was a fairly good show there gir. And it's the second one this year, these release videos are going to be fairly frequent.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    for the life of me i can't understand how Nintendo get away with this shit year after year.

I wouldn't consider it shit at all. Nintendo gets knocked for re-hashing the same old franchises, but (and I'm only assuming, so I'm entirely capable of being wrong) these people are on the outside looking in, as in don't own a WiiU/3DS.

They just don't get old. Every new version of the "old" franchises feels fresh. I'll agree that I'm not thrilled about what might happen with Wind Waker, but the games are just flat out fun. Though, as someone said earlier, I would LOVE to see an F-Zero reboot.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I'd typed up a gigantic mass of text and pictures outlining my disappointment with Nintendo these past few years, but instead I will simply say that from here on out, I'm waiting to see the love. Nintendo has lost my trust, and it will be an uphill battle for them to get it back.
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To me it sounds more like a bunch of Best Buys around the country will have the games available to try out. Which I think is a pretty cool idea personally.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    i think its a good idea as well.. You see something you like, you happen to be at the best buy you give it a shot. i hope they have tons of games getting announced for the wiiU. need some games on it.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    nintendo needs to reinvent themselves IMO, i'm just an observer but I see them putting theirselves into a corner with this reliance on franchise favorites. Eventually mario and all the others will lose their magic because they're the only things selling nintendo's hardware.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    TeeJay wrote: »
    That's not to say every other game I've played has been crap (far from it), but decrying Nintendo simply for relying on existing IP is not really constructive IMO.

I've been playing Nintendo games since the early 90s and I still thoroughly enjoy every Mario or Zelda game I play. If it aint broke...

Well that's besides the point, I never said the games weren't good, in fact they're probably my favorite developer. But that doesn't mean I think what they're doing is sustainable, or even worthy of their place in the industry.

I just don't want to see them go the way of Sega, putting crappy Sonic rehashes on any and every console. Hey it's a me, Mario on your android device! It's Mario Bowling!
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Kinda glad they stopped doing that at Mario Teaches Typing 2.
  • glottis8
  • Macrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macrow polycounter lvl 8
    That Rainbow Road, though!
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    When I saw/heard the train my inner child screamed in delight.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Could they make it anymore apparent that this game was meant to be played on drugs?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    New Mariokart looks awesomesauce!

Wii-U version of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles please? One can dream...
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    wasnt it just a couple days ago they announced how screwed they are, and how share holders are pissed at the lack of profits? So they said they were gonna do something new to fix that... now they`re announcing they are doing the same old thing again and again.

Dont get me wrong, the new mario kart looks great. but seriously, time for a new IP, nintendo. And get off your first party high horse. Adopt the attitude sony and MS have about indies and 3rd party.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    slipsius wrote: »
    wasnt it just a couple days ago they announced how screwed they are, and how share holders are pissed at the lack of profits? So they said they were gonna do something new to fix that... now they`re announcing they are doing the same old thing again and again.

Dont get me wrong, the new mario kart looks great. but seriously, time for a new IP, nintendo. And get off your first party high horse. Adopt the attitude sony and MS have about indies and 3rd party.

I agree with ya, but at the same time, Nintendo is such a different beast than the other two, they always seem to get by on just doing their own thing. It's a shame that developers are gun shy to get on board with them on the WiiU, as when it's done right (ZombiU) it's a very cool and different gaming experience. I'm real excited to see what they have to announce at E3 this year. That's gonna be a pretty important show for them, so they better have some big guns prepared.

Also, this needs to come out soon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_wnLmYn5IE
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    The new mario kart looks amazing, I can't wait to see what the new Zelda game will look like.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    The game pad for wiiU isn't that good though. its really not that comfortable to hold, and honestly, every game ive played on the wiiU (I do own one), I spend more time looking at the game pad than the tv. It's annoying. I want to play a console, not a mobile. It has potential, but they arent using it as such. Instead of forcing the gamepad on every aspect of a game, use it for useful things. maps, inventories, spy cameras. But ya, playing hardcore games on that gamepad, its just not comfortable enough to play for a long time.